• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Thanks a lot to campster for the gift :D. Only heard bad things about Invisible War so i guess im gonna avoid it. Will get on with the first one ASAP. Thanks again.

markot

Banned
Its there as coming soon, but has no price next to it.

Activision seems to take its sweeeeet time, Transformers doesnt even have a price, and you have to use search to find it...

Shaneus

markot said:
Its there as coming soon, but has no price next to it.

Activision seems to take its sweeeeet time, Transformers doesnt even have a price, and you have to use search to find it...
FYI, I read in the OT that the framerate is locked at 30fps with bare minimum detail options (high, medium, low) :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Shaneus said:
FYI, I read in the OT that the framerate is locked at 30fps with bare minimum detail options (high, medium, low) :lol

Yea i just read that as well, also P2P multiplayer. Maybe an xmas sale purchase :lol

Anksta

Max said:
I just beat a starving kid to death with a crowbar
4sz8nk.gif

Drac

Good move giving Portal for free, Steam. Now that you were already there, that Deus Ex sale was crying at me.

Deus Ex, still as good as it'll ever be.
Deus Ex... 2 ? (was there a sequel ?) I can't even set the resolution of the game to the native one of my screen.... I haven't started it yet and it already fails in comparison to the first :lol

epmode

The first Deus Ex supports just about any resolution you can think of as long as you're running one of those custom renderers.

Took the plunge and bought Puzzle Dimension because there was a glowing review on the steam forums. Will post impressions later tonight after the football.

eznark

Banned
Visualante said:
Try the demo, I hated it. Think it's aged really badly, but obviously there's a generation of PC gamers who love it.
I'm just playing on easy for the story, which is supposedly amazing. It doesn't look that bad

cjelly said:
Is Deus Ex worth £1.49?

Absolutely. You may struggle with the visuals a bit if that's something you prioritize, but the game underneath is a classic. Probably worth playing on reputation alone. People like to discuss it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
No one here has an extra HL Episode 2 they're looking to gift, do they? I could possibly gift you a copy of Deus Ex in return if you don't have that...

Tim-E

mattiewheels said:
No one here has an extra HL Episode 2 they're looking to gift, do they? I could possibly gift you a copy of Deus Ex in return if you don't have that...

You can only have extra copies of HL2 and Episode 1, unfortunately. No episode 2 :(

epmode

eznark said:
I'm just playing on easy for the story, which is supposedly amazing.
I love Deus Ex TO DEATH but I've never agreed with this. The setting is amazing. The general literacy of the game is amazing (scattered books, random conversations). The wide-open sandboxy approach to level design is amazing.

The story itself is kind of a mess.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shaneus said:
It appears to be Unreal Engine 3 so hopefully they didn't lock down the .ini and we can do more advanced tweaking (and unlock the framerate).

ant3b said:
Ignore that shit, texture packs were never completed so it will look really uneven. It also uses Enb which makes everything look fucking ridiculous with hideous bloom.

robatw said:
does the first deus ex have 1680x1050 support?
Yes, you should be using the DX10 renderer which shows the 10 highest resolutions available in the menu rather than the 10 lowest. http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Visualante said:
Try the demo, I hated it. Think it's aged really badly, but obviously there's a generation of PC gamers who love it.
I played it for the first time right after Half-Life 2 and it blew my mind. It hasn't aged the most gracefully, but it is certainly not limited to a certain generation of gamers.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I bought Deus Ex in the holiday sale but didn't get past the first 10 minutes..
I will try again.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
epmode said:
I love Deus Ex TO DEATH but I've never agreed with this. The setting is amazing. The general literacy of the game is amazing (scattered books, random conversations). The wide-open sandboxy approach to level design is amazing.

The story itself is kind of a mess.

Yeah, the game's got this amazing, breathing, real-feeling game world that sucks you in with everything from characters on the street suffering because of the power struggles of faceless organizations to newspaper summaries that tangentially bring up the conspiracies you're unraveling.

But the story itself is a badly paced run through a web of alliances that ruins who the mysterious conspirators are before the player even gets control of JC Denton. The game's honestly also too long to juggle as many characters as it tries to AND have dramatic tension of any kind. Tracer Tong? Maggie Chow? Paul Denton? Bob Page? Nicolette DuClare? Morgan Everett? Helios? Jaques? Jaime? Agent Simmons? Anna Nevarre? Gunther Herman? These are just the characters I can name off of the top of my head, and all have an interest in what you do at different points in the plot. If it were more episodic in nature it wouldn't be that bad, but most of these characters are recurringly referenced and brought back. The story is a sprawling mess - but it's a mess that informs how the world you're enjoying came to be, and *that* is why people appreciate it.

Steam is downloading a huge file for CS:Source right now. It 900mb's so I assume these are at least some of the beta features and maybe updates that are needed for Mac users.

vocab

Cindres said:
I bought Deus Ex in the holiday sale but didn't get past the first 10 minutes..
I will try again.

After the first part, it picks up very fast. I was drawn from the beginning. I really like the music a lot.

I <3 Memes said:
Steam is downloading a huge file for CS:Source right now. It 900mb's so I assume these are at least some of the beta features and maybe updates that are needed for Mac users.

Oooohhh, very nice.

epmode

MDSLKTR said:
Is there a way to make the font bigger in deus ex1?
The DX10 renderer has a side effect of increasing the UI size when using higher resolutions.

I think it goes a little overboard but it sounds like something you'd be interested in. Hopefully you have Vista or 7. If not, maybe there's something similar for XP?

Counter Strike: Source for Mac. woot.

and update log.

General
144 achievements added
New lifetime player stats and summary screens
New match player stats and summary screens
New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
New cinematic death camera
New domination and revenge system
Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
Incorporated many source engine updates
Disallowed the use of arbitrary command strings for the message of the day screen. Now only a specific list of commands is allowed.
Addressed issue in which AWPs and Scouts sometimes did not make the zooming sound.
cvar mat_showlowresimage is now a cheat command.
Many development console commands which would crash the server removed.
Updated source engine addresses many issues:
Better flashlight effect
Better HDR behavior
Multicore rendering support
Added sv_disablefreezecam cvar to turn off the freezecam on a server.
Added sv_nonemesis cvar to turn off domination/revenge on a server.
Added sv_nomvp cvar to turn off MVP stars on a server.
Added sv_nostats cvar to turn off stats on a server.
Removed -tickrate command line option and defaulted tick rate to 66 rather than 33. This addressed a number of issues, including:
Tick rate affecting how fast doors open / close
Tick rate causing players hitting the ground to stutter
Tick rate affecting the firing mechanisms of certain guns

UI
Added the following cvars to allow players to customize their scoreboards.
cl_scoreboard_ct_color_red
cl_scoreboard_ct_color_green
cl_scoreboard_ct_color_blue
cl_scoreboard_t_color_red
cl_scoreboard_t_color_green
cl_scoreboard_t_color_blue
cl_scoreboard_dead_color_red
cl_scoreboard_dead_color_green
cl_scoreboard_dead_color_blue
Changed the screen that appears when the message of the day fails to load to display proper error text.
Made the CT silhouette for the auto-select option in the Choose a Class screen smaller and corrected its aspect ratio.
Addressed a problem that occasionally caused characters to be colored incorrectly on the Change a Class screen.

Gameplay
Made ladders easier to climb. Added cvars sv_ladder_dampen and sv_ladder_angle.
Fixed issue that awarded three points when the bomb explodes after the round ends by elimination criteria instead.
Fixed issue in which you weren’t given credit for grenade damage if you fired a weapon at someone then hit them with a grenade (in that order). Also fixed problem in which grenading a player and then killing them with another weapon showed as ‘*** in 1’ on console.
There’s now a priority order for displaying win conditions when multiple win conditions are set.
If timelimit exists and is not 0, then show timelimit.
If timelimit does not exist, show maxrounds if not 0.
If both timelimit and maxrounds are 0, show winlimit.
If timelimit, maxrounds, and winlimit are all 0, show nothing.
Added a cvar to ignore win conditions: mp_ignore_round_win_conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom