• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIGHT-

Bought the 4 pack for Bioshock 2 and it looks like 2 of the original guys I bought it for bailed. If anyone wants to buy a copy pm me please.

Twig

Banned
Curufinwe said:
those are, to be fair, different things

let's look at it objectively

1) ban the third-party drm from the game
2) ban the game

one entails simply banning third-party software that comes attached to the game

the other entails banning the game altogether

similar but different, but also related

LovingSteam said:
No it's not. Valve is a business and many of their customers couldn't care less about the DRM. Should Valve refuse to sell the product simply because some are against it? No.
nowhere in my post did i even pretend to care about business bullshit

it's fucking stupid that in a service that inherently attaches drm to all games that are sold through the service, third-party drm is allowed

i don't like it

and i am going to continue to say i don't like it because it's fucking stupid

of course it is impossible to change this (especially now), and i've long accepted that, but that doesn't mean i have to like it and it DEFINITELY doesn't mean i'm not going to call it out for being, EXCUSE MY REDUNDANCY, fucking stupid

Shaneus

Damnit, there's just not enough stuff in the THQ pack to justify buying it. Only really kinda interested in Red Faction Guerilla, Metro 2033 and Saints Row 2 (though I have that on 360).

$50US saved.

Shaneus said:
Damnit, there's just not enough stuff in the THQ pack to justify buying it. Only really kinda interested in Red Faction Guerilla, Metro 2033 and Saints Row 2 (though I have that on 360).

$50US saved.

Im sad Dawn of War doesnt interest you :(

DoW2 is so rad.

Old Lace

Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon 2.03 USD
Tropico 3 10.19 USD
Tropico 3: Absolute Power 6.79 USD
Trine 4.00 USD

Total: 23.01

And it's only the 1st day. I really like Trine, still getting used to the controls though. I haven't played a platformer in a while.

Shaneus

Nobiru said:
Im sad Dawn of War doesnt interest you :(

DoW2 is so rad.
I can't afford to get games I'm not super keen on. Not monetarily, but I have so many games I have to be in the right mood for yet pick up when on sale... already have an RTS in the wings, Sins of a Solar Empire :)

Shaneus said:
I can't afford to get games I'm not super keen on. Not monetarily, but I have so many games I have to be in the right mood for yet pick up when on sale... already have an RTS in the wings, Sins of a Solar Empire :)

Sins and DOW are VERY different games, even though they both technically fall under the 'RTS' umbrella of genres.

You could definitely buy both and not feel like there's an overlap.

DoW 1 + Expansions is a more traditional RTS type game; build bases, upgrade and unlock troops by research etc, and you get a proper storyline with cutscenes etc with the first few DoW games thats pretty good, with Dark Crusade and Soulstorm offering a Risk style 'conquer the world' type 'campaign' thats also pretty fun (dark crusade more so tbh).

DoW 2 singleplayer is not really an RTS at all - its more like Diablo but with multiple heroes played simultaneously.

Sins is closer to a game like Civilisation or Rise of Nations than a traditional RTS.

They're all good stuff to be honest if you like strategy games.

EDIT:
Having said all that however, THQ complete packs show up in Steam sales somewhat regularly, so this isn't a 'you'll definitely be missing out' type of deal, as it's likely to crop up again within the next 6 months and virtually guaranteed to pop up again at christmas.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Sins and DOW are VERY different games, even though they both technically fall under the 'RTS' umbrella of genres.

You could definitely buy both and not feel like there's an overlap.

DoW 1 + Expansions is a more traditional RTS type game; build bases, upgrade and unlock troops by research etc, and you get a proper storyline with cutscenes etc with the first few DoW games thats pretty good, with Dark Crusade and Soulstorm offering a Risk style 'conquer the world' type 'campaign' thats also pretty fun (dark crusade more so tbh).

DoW 2 singleplayer is not really an RTS at all - its more like Diablo but with multiple heroes played simultaneously.

Sins is closer to a game like Civilisation or Rise of Nations than a traditional RTS.

They're all good stuff to be honest if you like strategy games.

EDIT:
Having said all that however, THQ complete packs show up in Steam sales somewhat regularly, so this isn't a 'you'll definitely be missing out' type of deal, as it's likely to crop up again within the next 6 months and virtually guaranteed to pop up again at christmas.
Yes, Sins is 4X, DoW2 is RTT, DoW1 is traditional RTS. Besides, you can never have too many strategy games.

At the beginning of the day it was Trine OR Overlord but now of course I picked up the other...dammit

I shudder to think of what tomorrow will bring

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I picked up The Witcher.

Also, I would like to announce to everyone:

Aquaria is worth your $10
Toki Tori is worth your $2.50

That is all, thank you.

sfried

What are some good games for testing out a fight stick?

I already bought the AquaNox games and Tachyon: The Fringe. I'm a big fan of the Freespace and Independence War games, and I also have X2 (all of them in retail format, except for the first I-War which I also got in GOG format for compatibility issues). I'm not sure if X3 is worth checking out given how complicated I found X2.

I also don't know what to think about Project Freedom.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, btw.

Suairyu said:
See... this is where I ask 'really'? That's three multiplayer-only shooters and Unreal 2 only received luke-warm reviews upon release, I doubt time has done it any favours. Were UT3 on sale on its own I could really go for it, but I just can't see anyone coming cold into UT and getting worthwhile play time out of all instalments.

Its three of the best multiplayer shooters of all time, all of which play uniquely, all of which have active communities and all of which give you access to hordes of fantastic mod content.

So, yeah, totally worth it.

Ferrio

Banned
Tempted to get Dawn of Discovery, but fuck that DRM. Would of bought it long ago if it wasn't for that, and even with a sale I still don't wanna buy it.

Shaneus said:

$50US saved.

just a heads up.... If I'm reading it correctly, Red Faction Guerrilla is NOT included in the EU THQ pack. Be aware if you're considering buying it. Time to get gifting.

(very likely already posted above sorry)

So, if I have some kind of on-board graphics card that I don't know the name of and a PC that's about 3 years old and wasn't top of the range then, am I *ever?* getting the Witcher to run? What if I basically turn all the graphics off?

sad_genius said:
So, if I have some kind of on-board graphics card that I don't know the name of and a PC that's about 3 years old and wasn't top of the range then, am I *ever?* getting the Witcher to run? What if I basically turn all the graphics off?
No.

I know UE2.5 has that retarded issue where you can't force AA without jumping through hoops (especially with ATI cards with Steam since you can't rename .exe's without a no-cd crack or some crap) but I was wondering if anyone had a fix for forcing AA on Bioshock 2 with an ATI card. I read somewhere you can do it if you run in DX9 mode. How do I run it in DX9? And is there any fix for forcing AA with DX10 that anyone knows of?

MTE

Hey guys.
I assume this is the best place to post this sort of thing. Anyone feel like helping an aussie get Transformers:WfC?

poweld

sad_genius said:
You should switch to the OnLive thread.

flsh

Banned
Steam doesn't let me buy games most of the time :( Anyone else has this issue? It keeps telling me about an internal error initializing my transaction. Not much to do about it, I guess?

I just hope it's cleared before the next sale items.

sfried

I'm calling it right now.

Tachyon - The Fringe is like Deus Ex in space*. And it's freakin' addicting!

*technically, there's usually only one approach which is blow stuff up, but there are tons of optional stuff like rescuing wingmen.

kamorra said:
Is there a single player campaign in Killing Floor? I usually don't play online multiplayer modes very often.
Even if there is, its definitely not worth it. This game is all about online and the crazy wackiness that results from such things.

Diebuster

kamorra said:
Is there a single player campaign in Killing Floor? I usually don't play online multiplayer modes very often.

You can play by yourself, but no, there's no story mode or anything like that. It's all about the co-op, so if you don't play online it's not worth buying.

Nickiepoo

kamorra said:

No, you can just play the multiplayer game on your own. It scales, so it still works, but it's really a coop game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
MisterAnderson said:
I know UE2.5 has that retarded issue where you can't force AA without jumping through hoops (especially with ATI cards with Steam since you can't rename .exe's without a no-cd crack or some crap) but I was wondering if anyone had a fix for forcing AA on Bioshock 2 with an ATI card. I read somewhere you can do it if you run in DX9 mode. How do I run it in DX9? And is there any fix for forcing AA with DX10 that anyone knows of?
I would also like to know this.

Hey, I feel really rude for asking this but is there anyone from the US that can gift me Bioshock 2 while it's on sale (I understand it's only 15 bucks).

I can pay you via paypal, bit it will take roughly 5 days for my bank to process the transaction.

Steam ID is davonaytor

John

What's everyone got to say about Avencast and Death to Spies?

30 minutes of browsing and that's what I come up with

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I am still amazed that the Ship is not on sale. If it dipped below the 5 dollar mark, I personally know at least ten people that would bite.

John

davonaytor said:
I'll join unless it's inconvenient for the person paying to wait around 5 days (e-cheque)
I don't think that'll be a problem.

Waiting for 2 more. edit: not anymore

Did Ubisoft raise all their games' prices for the sale? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom