• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Damnit GAF, im in need for help yet again. Reposting from the summer sales thread:

Begging for L4D2, youll get your money on monday (as soon as bank opens), and i can start paying you today with the money i have left on my credit card (around 8 usd i think). I feel like a crack whore.

SalsaShark said:
Damnit GAF, im in need for help yet again. Reposting from the summer sales thread:

Begging for L4D2, youll get your money on monday (as soon as bank opens), and i can start paying you today with the money i have left on my credit card (around 8 usd i think). I feel like a crack whore.

You want to gift me RCT3 platinum in exchange instead?

Jirotrom said:
hmm left for dead 2... 10 bucks... damn whats the consensus?

Great great game that if you haven't played it you owe yourself. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one even though the first month or two I did like it better.

Blizzard

Banned
Jirotrom said:
hmm left for dead 2... 10 bucks... damn whats the consensus?
I don't like the characters, weapons, or music as much as the first one. It looks decent, and some of the new weapons and special infected are fun to play with. I am not really a fan of the campaigns that I have played but it could be because I am just unfamiliar with them.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I might have two for a L4D2 four pack, what do you need, e-mail address or steam ID (aside from paypal payment)? Anyone starting one?

Edit: Cat jumped on the keyboard :)

Volcynika

DeadGzuz said:
I might have two for a L4D2 four pack, what do you need, e-mail address or steam ID (aside from paypal payment)? Anyone starting one?wwvbg

You can send games via email or Steam ID (I think for this one they might have to be on your friends list though). Either one is good.

Shaneus

L4D2 "Low Violence" version here in AU. Is there a way to buy a non-LV or do I have to use the hacks I found on Google?

Fucking Australia.

Spwn

Shaneus said:
L4D2 "Low Violence" version here in AU. Is there a way to buy a non-LV or do I have to use the hacks I found on Google?

Fucking Australia.

Get someone from the US to gift it to you.

AcridMeat

Banned
Does Zeno Clash have controller support? Thanks :D

edit: Also my friend gifted me Lead and Gold, now I feel guilty and need a game to gift him back. I was thinking of buying two copies of Ducati World Championship so we could play multiplayer but I don't want to be hated. :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Since I've asked around everywhere else I have decided to bring my charitability to GAF!

First person to post a picture of a PIRATE gets a free copy of Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition on Steam!

Probably too late -

pirate.gif

Easy_D

never left the stone age
woodsey1982 said:
Probably too late -

pirate.gif
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!
If I may have your SteamID please I will send it right away.

Edit: Or Email, if you'd like. Then you don't have to add me on steam:lol

Blizzard said:
I don't like the characters, weapons, or music as much as the first one. It looks decent, and some of the new weapons and special infected are fun to play with. I am not really a fan of the campaigns that I have played but it could be because I am just unfamiliar with them.
Anyone familiar with the L4D2 thread/community disregards Blizzard's opinion on the game after his 6 month "will I won't I buy the game" schtick.

As for my own personal opinion on the game goes: I love it. They added a ton of new weapons and supplies to the formula that goes a long way towards keeping the game fresh despite repeated runthroughs. The new survivors are great, I love them all now. I wouldn't say they're better than the originals, but I wouldn't say the opposite either. The campaigns all feel very distinct, which is nice. Hard Rain during a rainstorm while in black and white is one of the most atmospheric things ever.

In regards to versus, Realism Versus gives the game a much-needed shot in the arm. Those extra supplies mentioned earlier really gives the survivors an advantage, so the realism modifications give the infected a fantastic new advantage to be exploited. It even makes the jockey useful again, yaaaay.

Blizzard

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Anyone familiar with the L4D2 thread/community disregards Blizzard's opinion on the game after his 6 month "will I won't I buy the game" schtick.
Why would you say that? Before the game was even announced I said I wouldn't buy it until it dropped to $20-25. I stuck to that so I wouldn't be hypocritical. Once it dropped for a day, and that one day I happened to be away from the internet and missed it. The next time it dropped I bought the game.

And, now that I have the game and have played it, why would you disregard my opinion of the characters? I find the lines I have heard so far (2-4 campaigns, scavenge, vs a few times?) not as interesting, or more annoying, than before. I don't like some of the weapons, or at least the burst fire rifle and maybe one of the pistols or rapidfire weapons. I find the music harsh and dissonant and I have to turn it way down compared to before.

So, what objectively are you saying is wrong about that? I apologize if I annoyed anyone in the thread before, but I would challenge you to point out any time where I said I would buy the game at higher than $20-25, which is what I waited for. I don't see how an ad hominem attack is valid over discussing actual reasons.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Aside from being 30 FUCKING GB are there any major issues with the PC version of The Force Unleashed? I played it for a while on my friend's PS3 and always wanted it. $7.50 seems fair.

Volcynika

Dice said:
Aside from being 30 FUCKING GB are there any major issues with the PC version of The Force Unleashed? I played it for a while on my friend's PS3 and always wanted it. $7.50 seems fair.

Not sure if they're major to you, but I think it has an FPS cap (I think 30 FPS) and very little in the way of graphics customizing options.

Blizzard said:
And, now that I have the game and have played it, why would you disregard my opinion of the characters? I find the lines I have heard so far (2-4 campaigns, scavenge, vs a few times?) not as interesting, or more annoying, than before. I don't like some of the weapons, or at least the burst fire rifle and maybe one of the pistols or rapidfire weapons. I find the music harsh and dissonant and I have to turn it way down compared to before.
Characters: Oh man, you've practically played through the game a whole one time! Much like the first game, there's an absurd amount of lines for the four characters per campaign, so I find your "qualifications" shaky at best to judge the characters.

Weapons: You liked the weapons in L4D1. All those weapons are here. They add some new weapons to provide variety. You don't like some of those new weapons. Don't use them, then! And if they're the only ones available for one map or another: well, that's too bad, but you've gotta do what you can to survive. L4D1 was actually pretty lame due to weapon caches always being either all the tier 1 or all the tier 2 weapons.

Music: There's a music slider for a reason. Maybe Valve set the defaults a bit louder for one reason or another. Who cares? I don't really see what's wrong with the music being "harsh and dissonant", considering it's supposed to be a setpiece to a zombie apocalypse.

JoeMartin

Dice said:

Fucking 30 gig? Is that even a joke?

RocketDarkness said:
Weapons: You liked the weapons in L4D1. All those weapons are here. They add some new weapons to provide variety. You don't like some of those new weapons. Don't use them, then!
"__ is bad/stupid, don't use it" is a terrible excuse. L4D2 sounds like it should have been a cheap add-on.

Schmattakopf said:
"__ is bad/stupid, don't use it" is a terrible excuse. L4D2 sounds like it should have been a cheap add-on.
It's not even a bad gun! Blizzard just doesn't like it! It's like complaining that a shotgun spawned instead of an assault rifle. Are we all entitled to use our favorite weapons exclusively?

The Desert Rifle is extremely accurate and great at dropping special infected from a distance due to the quick three-round burst. The slight kickback means you can start at center-of-mass and usually the third bullet will end up in their brain. If it wasn't for the long reload time, it would be the only rifle I ever used.

RE: Cheap addon.

No. That is blatantly wrong. They doubled the tier one weapons. They doubled the tier two weapons. They added doubled the amount of supplies. They added an entirely new TYPE of weapon. They doubled the standard playable special infected.They created an entirely new cast of characters. They added new modes. They heavily tweaked the Director. L4D2 is what other sequels wish they could be.

Volcynika

criesofthepast said:
Is L4D2 coming to the Mac anytime soon?

It is planned for Mac, and will use Steam Play, so if you want to have it for cheap and be ready when it comes out, now is the time! Or something.

Blizzard

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Characters: Oh man, you've practically played through the game a whole one time! Much like the first game, there's an absurd amount of lines for the four characters per campaign, so I find your "qualifications" shaky at best to judge the characters.
Is it still fair to say that from the models I have seen and the voices I have heard, I don't like them aside from Coach and maybe Ellis? If not, how much would you say I need to play before my opinion can be more objective?

Weapons: You liked the weapons in L4D1. All those weapons are here.
The same weapons may look, sound, and feel a little different if I am not mistaken.

They add some new weapons to provide variety. You don't like some of those new weapons. Don't use them, then! And if they're the only ones available for one map or another: well, that's too bad, but you've gotta do what you can to survive. L4D1 was actually pretty lame due to weapon caches always being either all the tier 1 or all the tier 2 weapons.
I do tend to use the weapons I like (I like some of the new weapons a good bit). I don't use the weapons I don't enjoy as much. How does that relate to whether I liked L4D1 weapons overall more than L4D2 weapons? Maybe I am wrong since the variety of choices is greater, but I guess I feel like I don't like how they feel and sound in the sequel as much.

Music: There's a music slider for a reason. Maybe Valve set the defaults a bit louder for one reason or another. Who cares? I don't really see what's wrong with the music being "harsh and dissonant", considering it's supposed to be a setpiece to a zombie apocalypse.
It's a matter of personal preference. I liked the music in the first game better, and I like the music in the second game worse. I have certain things I like and dislike in music, and harsh, dissonant, high-pitched music is worse in my opinion. Because of that personal preference, I had one reason to prefer one game over the other, and I expressed that (and explained the reason, hopefully). Is that not fair?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Volcynika said:
Not sure if they're major to you, but I think it has an FPS cap (I think 30 FPS) and very little in the way of graphics customizing options.
30 FUCKING FPS? What is this, N64? Especially with how long after the original release the Ultimate Sith Edition is, there is no excuse.

Screw that. I won't let it take 30GB only to run like a console game 10 years ago. This is PC gaming in 2010.

Nice, Valve made give them $45.00 today...

- L4D2 (1/4 of the four pack, thanks Wallach!)
- Company of Heroes: Complete
- Audiosurf
- Monkey Island 2 Special Edition

Good time for summer gaming on my M11x!

You're more than welcome to express your opinion, but I'm definitely going to explain why I disagree.

You want a concensus? $10 is a steal for this game, and if it seems even vaguely appealing, BUY IT NOW. We've got a great coop community and a great versus community. There's something for everyone.

SyNapSe

I think I might buy L4D2 today. I bought L4D during the christmas time but never played. It's hard to jump into these games when everyone else knows what to do. The Co-op looks fun in L4D2 and maybe with enough new people starting I won't get kicked out of groups too often.

SyNapSe said:
I think I might buy L4D2 today. I bought L4D during the christmas time but never played. It's hard to jump into these games when everyone else knows what to do. The Co-op looks fun in L4D2 and maybe with enough new people starting I won't get kicked out of groups too often.
Check out the L4D2 thread, we'll get you sorted out right quick.

Blizzard

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
You're more than welcome to express your opinion, but I'm definitely going to explain why I disagree.
That is fair enough, and that's what I was pointing out (i.e. differing music tastes or character design tastes) instead of "Don't listen to Blizzard, he annoyed me in the L4D2 thread." As I have said I am sorry if I was annoying and my prime intention was to wait until the game dropped to the price I had said like a year ago, upon which I purchased the game.

Just so I am clear, I was neither in the Steam boycott group nor did I say that the game should not be purchased for more than $25. I just personally did not want to pay more than that for the game.

Salsa

Volcynika said:
It is planned for Mac, and will use Steam Play, so if you want to have it for cheap and be ready when it comes out, now is the time! Or something.

Itll probably be on sale again when it hits mac, no ?

Salsa

Btw killing floor`s presentation could use a lot of work, but the damn game is addicting as hell!, kind of like a mixture between L4D and Counter Strike. I see lots of hours thrown into this one.

AcridMeat

Banned
Rustymonke said:
What games did I miss yesterday? :(

Don't worry your pretty little head, think of the money saved!
Lead and Gold $5, Ghostbusters $4, GTA4 stories for..I can't remember, $13?, can't recall the rest.

Jirotrom

AcridMeat said:
Don't worry your pretty little head, think of the money saved!
Lead and Gold $5, Ghostbusters $4, GTA4 stories for..I can't remember, $13?, can't recall the rest.
gta stories was 15... i bought it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom