• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
archnemesis said:
"CS:S Update additions"
  • 144 achievements added
  • New lifetime player stats and summary screens
  • New match player stats and summary screens
  • New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
  • Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
  • New cinematic death camera
  • New domination and revenge system
  • Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
  • Incorporated many source engine updates

HOLY FUCK, this is like a whole new game!? And i get this for free!? Hell that and getting CS:S when it was on sale last holiday for 5 bucks feels like I'm stealing... XD

Salsa

Cuban Legend said:
HOLY FUCK, this is like a whole new game!? And i get this for free!? Hell that and getting CS:S when it was on sale last holiday for 5 bucks feels like I'm stealing... XD

damn you, read my posts avobe :( lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
Uh, not even remotely. It brings Counter-Strike up to TF2's level of Steam integration/online feature set and that's about it.

BigAT

Stallion Free said:
Uh, not even remotely. It brings Counter-Strike up to TF2's level of Steam integration/online feature set and that's about it.
Does CS 1.6 (or however it's referred to now) have similar features as well? I haven't played that in forever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BigAT said:
Does CS 1.6 (or however it's referred to now) have similar features as well? I haven't played that in forever.
Nope. It does use your Steam nick on scoreboards instead of a name set up in the multiplayer options though.

BigAT

Stallion Free said:
Nope. It does use your Steam nick on scoreboards instead of a name set up in the multiplayer options though.
That's a shame. The addition of achievements sounds pretty cool, but I can't stand playing Source. 1.6 just feels so much better still.

Having a bit of a problem here. I decided to buy Episode 2 in the sale. When I try to download it, I get a box saying "Scanning for Steam licenses updates" or something. This lasts awhile, so I cancel it. Now Ep 2 doesn't appear in my games library. I did copy the receipt though, to prove that I bought it.
Any advice?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Lionel Mandrake said:
Having a bit of a problem here. I decided to buy Episode 2 in the sale. When I try to download it, I get a box saying "Scanning for Steam licenses updates" or something. This lasts awhile, so I cancel it. Now Ep 2 doesn't appear in my games library. I did copy the receipt though, to prove that I bought it.
Any advice?

Had the same problem, restarting Steam worked for me.

Hawk SE

Is there anyone that could hook me up for a copy of Max Payne 1. I have 2 from the Rockstar Week sale, but I missed when MP1 was available for cheap.

if not thanks anyway

I just wonder if we'll have Spring and Fall Sales now that Steam has realized there's other seasons than just Winter.

randomwab

Hawk xSx said:
I just wonder if we'll have Spring and Fall Sales now that Steam has realized there's other seasons than just Winter.

ShhhhHHHHHHH! Shut the hell up, don't give them ideas! One of these every three or so months? Christ, no one would be safe.

Red Scarlet

BTW, anyone that just got L4D2, grab add-on support so you can play custom/fan-made maps. If you don't have add-on support, you'll get lots of graphical "error" things and it's really annoying. Go to the "library" thingy on steam, then click "tools" up top. Then just start dling add-on support, so we can play stuff like Left 4 Mario!

IceMarker

First time playing Counter-Strike ever when it was on sale last week. Can't say I like the game, guess I'm spoiled by too many other shooters with advancements in the past decade.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MrMister said:
First time playing Counter-Strike ever when it was on sale last week. Can't say I like the game, guess I'm spoiled by too many other shooters with advancements in the past decade.
Go post that in the official Steam forum for the game and then give us the link so we can watch as you are ripped to shreds by people who have played the game for more than hour.

graywolf323

Red Scarlet said:
BTW, anyone that just got L4D2, grab add-on support so you can play custom/fan-made maps. If you don't have add-on support, you'll get lots of graphical "error" things and it's really annoying. Go to the "library" thingy on steam, then click "tools" up top. Then just start dling add-on support, so we can play stuff like Left 4 Mario!

okay that looks pretty hilarious

definitely gotta play it sometime with you Scarlet :D

Red Scarlet

MrMister said:

It's better on a teamwork server over a frag one. What maps did you play? Hopefully not iceworld.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Red Scarlet said:
It's better on a teamwork server over a frag one. What maps did you play? Hopefully not iceworld.
What, Iceworld is fucking fantastic. I used to play in it (well the FY series in general) for hours.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
If you're new to CS, just stick with de_dust and de_dust2 for a while. It's easy to learn the maps and get into the action.

Red Scarlet said:
Ew, I hated that and pool_day, but I've never been a fan of fragfest-type games. :(

he_dodgeball was kind of fun, though.
I hate pool_day but I love iceworld and it's multiple variations.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Red Scarlet said:
Ew, I hated that and pool_day, but I've never been a fan of fragfest-type games. :(

he_dodgeball was kind of fun, though.
Well the FY maps really put a lot more emphasis on raw skill than teamplay/map knowledge which I liked for a change of pace.

Red Scarlet

I dunno, it just seemed out of place with what the rest of the maps were, goal oriented over 'kill all enemies in a small arena'. Oh well, that's why there is variety! The aim maps were the worst of them all probably.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well to be fair, the real meat of Counter-Strike lies in the surf maps. Goddamn was that shit good. I taught myself in 1.6 on Egypt and then stepped up to Source where surfing was a bit more difficult. When you had surfing mastered, it was magical.

What I would give to be transported back for a day to my fav server with all my fav server regulars, with a server owner we were tight with, playing on a pc next to my brother.

Max

I am not Max
I just got back from 5 days without internet and this epic sale is on

So overwhelmed rat meow

I should probably buy something

graywolf323

well that was weird

I just got a phishing attempt (email from "steam customer support") for my Steam information but it was in French :lol

vocab

Stallion Free said:
Well to be fair, the real meat of Counter-Strike lies in the surf maps.

:lol I would argue KZ is superior because nothing is more heart pumping then racing people to the top of some crazy ass map. Source KZ is such a disappointment though. The movement, and speed of strafe jumps just feels awkward. The standalone mod is cool, but not a lot of people play it.

FY maps are so good. It's such a good place to cool down after a match or scrimming some baddies. Those were the days.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
iam220 said:
What .. the ... hell!?

Why is the steam ARMA 2 update 7 gigs?

From what I understand ARMA 2 is going to be multiplayer compatible with the upcoming expansion/standalone thinger, so it's probably loading all the assets from that.

DryvBy

Concerning my cd key issue with Kane & Lynch:

I normally don't do this but wow, GFW has super fast and helpful customer service. I mean, I work in a call center and I just wish we were this fast. So that's good news if anyone needs to call in to that place.

Now I'm just hoping Steam can help me out with this issue. Guess I'll find out next week. (Not bashing Steam; been a member since day one. Even wore my HL2 shirt to meet my favorite rock band, Powerman 5000, recently lol)

W1SSY

I purchased Civ4 for mac the other day and for some reason it is just stuck on downloading starting. When I click to play is says the steam servers are busy when it tries to verify the files. Anyone know a solution to get it to work. I changed the download region and that had no effect. Is it possible to delete the game from steam and start to download again?

W1SSY said:
I purchased Civ4 for mac the other day and for some reason it is just stuck on downloading starting. When I click to play is says the steam servers are busy when it tries to verify the files. Anyone know a solution to get it to work. I changed the download region and that had no effect. Is it possible to delete the game from steam and start to download again?

right click on it

and select delete local content or something to that extent if you want to download it again

G-Fex

ok try to remain calm here.

Piece of shit windows live. I tried to play fallout 3 and I guess since it was signed in my profile I couldn't load my game. I made my save game files before I signed up for the windows live. I sign out but it still says New game only. I restart the game and it just signs me in again, kindly tell me how to get back to my save?

DryvBy2 said:
Concerning my cd key issue with Kane & Lynch:

I normally don't do this but wow, GFW has super fast and helpful customer service. I mean, I work in a call center and I just wish we were this fast. So that's good news if anyone needs to call in to that place.

Now I'm just hoping Steam can help me out with this issue. Guess I'll find out next week. (Not bashing Steam; been a member since day one. Even wore my HL2 shirt to meet my favorite rock band, Powerman 5000, recently lol)

Hey bro, I posted this , just in case you missed it. It should clear up any GFWL issues your having with not being prompted to input your CD Key. :)

I remember having that issue with my first GFWL game, but i fixed it and its smooth as butter for every other GFWL game ever since.

DryvBy2 said:
I dunno. I can play the single player game just fine. It just will NOT go online whatsoever. Says it cannot connect to Live because the key is wrong. I dunno why it let me through if the key was wrong. Must be a glitch.

Edit: And yes, this was from yesterday's Steam deal.

Have you tried creating or do you have and Xbox Live (silver or gold) Profile to sign in online with? In other words and "Online GFWL Profile" Or are you using just a regular "Offline GFWL Profile"?

It will only ask you for a a key if you try to go online with an Xbox Live Profile (Silver is free), and everytime you try to go online after that until you input a key.

And if the key entered before was invalid (or it tells you whatever key inputted is wrong, and it won't let you online ) it WILL have a "Try Again" button/option and you can re-input a key as many times until it is correct. Make sure you capitalize, just in case.

Trust me you should have no issue with the key whatsoever as long as it is legit. I've dealt with all of my GFWL titles the same way with zero problems.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
G-Fex said:

Piece of shit windows live. I tried to play fallout 3 and I guess since it was signed in my profile I couldn't load my game. I made my save game files before I signed up for the windows live. I sign out but it still says New game only. I restart the game and it just signs me in again, kindly tell me how to get back to my save?

Games for Windows Live is really one of the worst things ever. I finally decided to play Bioshock 2 after I bought it in February or whenever and upon booting up the game I was immediately prompted to update by GFWL. I press okay and wait for the file to download at which point the game closes and the patcher executable boots up. The game patches and I then relaunch the game only to be greeted by the same patcher prompt. Oh yay, memories of the "patch loops" from Red Faction: Guerilla come rushing back and I just say fuck it rather than searching for a fix. I'll get back to it someday, but I just didn't feel it was worth the effort to find a fix.

Rufus

Concerning Commandos:
Commandos 3 is in 3D (edit) during indoors segments. I heard there are resolution problems because of that? Visit the Steam forums about this one, I never played it. :lol The original, its expansion and the sequel are all good games. You command a squad of commandos (I make good sentence, yes), killing your way through Nazi bases, fulfilling several objectives along the way. The characters you command all have unique abilities that you employ to blow up submarine bases and stuff like that. I think there's more than one approach to most situations, too. These games are hard, but really good. That's what I remember, anyway.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
G-Fex said:

Live games have their saves tied to an account. If you have an offline account and then play ANY game with an online account on that computer - all your offline account saves are wiped permanently (well your offline account is wiped, and the saves are locked to that account. Creating an account with the same name won't work either)

Oreoleo

Foliorum Viridum said:
Has anyone here had a bad experience with Steam Support like I have?

I'm still fucking locked out of my account and it's been two days since they last responded.

You mean you didn't get customer service during the weekend when no one was in the office? What jerks!

Salaadin

Orellio said:
You mean you didn't get customer service during the weekend when no one was in the office? What jerks!

Someone in the same thread he linked to claims that they had an issue on Saturday and received a fix that same day so they must have someone there on weekends.

I had a response on Saturday, too.

It just broke my account and now I'm getting no response.

Edit: Doug just PM'd me about it and is looking into it. :D Now I feel looked after, haha.

G-Fex

poppabk said:
Live games have their saves tied to an account. If you have an offline account and then play ANY game with an online account on that computer - all your offline account saves are wiped permanently (well your offline account is wiped, and the saves are locked to that account. Creating an account with the same name won't work either)

So...I lost what 26 hours of gameplay? My favorite Fallout character I created...gone?

I wished I never installed windows live. Unbelievable.

..My save for all my games are gone?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

G-Fex said:
So...I lost what 26 hours of gameplay? My favorite Fallout character I created...gone?

I wished I never installed windows live. Unbelievable.

..My save for all my games are gone?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I think Fallout 3 allowed save games to be moved around.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Zefah said:
Games for Windows Live is really one of the worst things ever. I finally decided to play Bioshock 2 after I bought it in February or whenever and upon booting up the game I was immediately prompted to update by GFWL. I press okay and wait for the file to download at which point the game closes and the patcher executable boots up. The game patches and I then relaunch the game only to be greeted by the same patcher prompt. Oh yay, memories of the "patch loops" from Red Faction: Guerilla come rushing back and I just say fuck it rather than searching for a fix. I'll get back to it someday, but I just didn't feel it was worth the effort to find a fix.
After I updated Bioshock 2's GFWL thing I couldn't play the game for more than 20 minutes without it crashing. Before I did that it played perfectly and I had no crashes. That's because it couldn't access GFWL online.

So basically I have to unplug my internet from my computer when I start up the game so that it doesn't try to login. Luckily the saves work regardless as long as I'm logged in offline.

Yeah, GFWL is a total piece of shit and I hate when I see people support it as if its always harmless. It isn't stable enough and if they update it after a developer doesn't really support a game with patches anymore you're fucked if it doesn't play nice. Fucked. My copy of The Club will never allow me to save games because of it.

Oreoleo

Salaadin said:
Someone in the same thread he linked to claims that they had an issue on Saturday and received a fix that same day so they must have someone there on weekends.

oh :(

e: goddam new page D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom