• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dice said:
Okay I have one condition for Red Faction. Does it support the 360 controller?

It certainly does. Seamlessly too. You can switch on and off between kb/m and 360 controller as you please. Kb/m is far superior, though, but the 360 pad controls work great too.

Wallach

Salacious Crumb said:
RFG US Store: $5.00
RFG Aus Store: $17.50

I think we all know where this is going :p

Could a friendly American soul please gift me Space Asshole and I'll pay you back with paypal.

Gracias

Yeah, I'll get ya. Friend me on Steam (Wallach, look for the pip-boy).

Salsa

QQ: Is there a way to check my favorite dedicated servers on Left4Dead (both) outside the game ? they dont seem to be showing op on the steam server browser.

Wallach

Salacious Crumb said:
Cool, I'll be AFK for the next 40 minutes or so annoyingly.

D'oh. Alright, well in about ten minutes I'm going to be outside working on something but I will try to remember to come back in and check on you.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
SalsaShark said:
Play key/mouse like its really meant to be played, for fuck`s sake.
Wow, militant much? I understand for FPS but gamepads are obviously superior for 3rd person games with multiple action buttons and vehicles. Also my comp is set up so I sit on my bed, which is awkward for mouse control (I use a logitech trackman for windows, wireless keyboard in lap)

Zefah said:
It certainly does. Seamlessly too. You can switch on and off between kb/m and 360 controller as you please. Kb/m is far superior, though, but the 360 pad controls work great too.
Bought.

I really don't get people saying they are so superior. Do you guys just not have much experience with gamepads? Do you not adjust the sensitivity and whatnot? I played 3D consoles from N64 to PS3 so I'm fully trained. I think the only time mouse is truly better is FPS multiplayer. No need for it in a single player 3rd person game like this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dice said:
Wow, militant much? I understand for FPS but gamepads are obviously superior for 3rd person games with multiple action buttons and vehicles. Also my comp is set up so I sit on my bed, which is awkward for mouse control (I use a logitech trackman for windows, wireless keyboard in lap)

Bought.

I really don't get people saying they are so superior. Do you guys just not have much experience with gamepads? Do you not adjust the sensitivity and whatnot? I played 3D consoles from N64 to PS3 so I'm fully trained. I think the only time mouse is truly better is FPS multiplayer. No need for it in a single player 3rd person game like this.

Kb/m is infinitely more responsive and precise than a gamepad in games that require you to aim whether they be third person or first person. Moving a cursor with a thumbstick will never be as fast or precise as a mouse.

I've been playing consoles forever as well and I am definitely not a stranger to a gamepad or thumbsticks. I even played Guerilla on the Xbox 360 first and while the gamepad controls work just fine, a kb/m improves it greatly.

Then again, if you are trying to sit back and relax on your couch, a gamepad might be preferable to a kb/m setup.

Dice

Zefah said:
Kb/m is infinitely more responsive and precise than a gamepad in games that require you to aim whether they be third person or first person. Moving a cursor with a thumbstick will never be as fast or precise as a mouse.
I don't like the keyboard for movement, and certainly not for multiple action buttons. Gamepad feels much more natural in that sense. Generally I find that with gamepad I aim more vertically with one stick and line it up more by strafing with the other. It feels natural, like the way you twist your waist in real life.

I've been playing consoles forever as well and I am definitely not a stranger to a gamepad or thumbsticks. I even played Guerilla on the Xbox 360 first and while the gamepad controls work just fine, a kb/m improves it greatly.
It does make it faster, but I am definitely not militant about it. The most responsive controls I've ever used were on Wii. It was like I had Mr Fantastic arms and was just reaching out and touching enemies to kill them. More responsive and entirely intuitive, but I would say unnaturally easy in terms of gun use. Mouse is a middle ground between them.

Then again, if you are trying to sit back and relax on your couch, a gamepad might be preferable to a kb/m setup.
Yeah man, I find it so much more comfortable. I'f I'm not playing against other humans there is no reason to have that edge. Gamepad has never held me back unless it had bizarro controls like Goldeneye.

Salsa

Dice said:

Bought.

Mouse and keyboard its just better for FPS, in every possible way. And ive been playing consoles forever.

With that said, i didnt wanted to sound so harsh, sorry :p

panda21

SalsaShark said:
Play key/mouse like its really meant to be played, for fuck`s sake.

Unprovoked KB/M outlashes that contribute absolutely nothing are the only thing I don't like about PC gaming.

I'm getting so fed up of seeing this shit every single fucking time I try to ask a question about using a gamepad with a PC.

Why does it even matter so much that it is 'superior' if you are just playing the game for fun? What about people who can't physically use a mouse or are playing from a couch instead of sat at a desk?

Do you honestly think theres anyone that hasn't heard this tired shit already about a million times, and so clearly they are asking because they either can't or don't want to use a mouse?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I play all my third person games (RF:G, Ghostbusters, Dead Space, etc) with a 360 controller.
f1e2pz.gif

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
panda21 said:
Unprovoked KB/M outlashes that contribute absolutely nothing are the only thing I don't like about PC gaming.

I'm getting so fed up of seeing this shit every single fucking time I try to ask a question about using a gamepad with a PC.

Why does it even matter so much that it is 'superior' if you are just playing the game for fun? What about people who can't physically use a mouse or are playing from a couch instead of sat at a desk?

Do you honestly think theres anyone that hasn't heard this tired shit already about a million times, and so clearly they are asking because they either can't or don't want to use a mouse?
Every PC game has gamepad support thanks to Joy2Key, even if it makes no sense to use one. There's no need to ask.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
panda21 said:

I hate that too, but I equally hate people that say that playing a FPS with a controller is OK (hell, with the amount of autoaim people add to these kind of games).

A third person game? Play it the way you want. Keyboard, Gamepad, whatever. I actually use both, depending on where I'm sitting at the moment (desk or in front of the TV).

Just don't come in here asking how to play a PC first person shooter with a Gamepad/Controller. Then you're just asking for trouble.

Salsa

panda21 said:

Man, im just trying to express what the better way of playing the game would be, the more efficent, at least.

Im no PC fanboy at all, and i play consoles with comfy gamepads all the time, im just saying. 3rd/1st person shooter = key/mouse for me, as for many. Its just the best way, not trying to play the PC master race here or anything.

Being frustrated by controls can get in the way of fun, you know :/

panda21

SapientWolf said:
Every PC game has gamepad support thanks to Joy2Key, even if it makes no sense to use one. There's no need to ask.

well actually there are some games that actively prevent you from even being able to use the 360 controller via a mapping program (BF:BC2 is a great example, it tries to map it if it sees one at startup but is completely broken, making it very annoying to use xpadder etc).

and having to set up a mapping yourself is annoying, and not perfect since you miss out on analog motion when you just map the stick to wasd.

Just don't come in here asking how to play a PC first person shooter with a Gamepad/Controller. Then you're just asking for trouble.

what a ridiculous attitude. so basically your way is right and no one is allowed to enjoy playing it another way? enjoy being the key word here.

edit:
anyway i didnt intend to get dragged into this stupid argument again, i think its pretty obvious that asking how if a game supports controllers is perfectly reasonable, and responding with an aggressive 'use KB/M u n00b' reply is completely unhelpful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dice said:
I don't like the keyboard for movement, and certainly not for multiple action buttons. Gamepad feels much more natural in that sense. Generally I find that with gamepad I aim more vertically with one stick and line it up more by strafing with the other. It feels natural, like the way you twist your waist in real life.

It does make it faster, but I am definitely not militant about it. The most responsive controls I've ever used were on Wii. It was like I had Mr Fantastic arms and was just reaching out and touching enemies to kill them. More responsive and entirely intuitive, but I would say unnaturally easy in terms of gun use. Mouse is a middle ground between them.

Yeah man, I find it so much more comfortable. I'f I'm not playing against other humans there is no reason to have that edge. Gamepad has never held me back unless it had bizarro controls like Goldeneye.

Wii being the most responsive? This has not been my experience in the least. I find the Wii motion controls to be way too finicky and unreliable. Sure they work okay under the proper lighting conditions and assuming you are positioned in the perfect spot for the sensor bar to pick up your movements perfectly, but more often than not I find using the Wii as a pointer to be a rather painful experience.

Anyway, you like what you like and as long as you are having fun that's what matters. I am all for seamless 360 pad support in PC games as long as they don't hurt kb/m controls and interfaces. The more control options the better! I personally prefer a kb/m for pretty much any game that isn't a platformer, a fighting game, a sports game or a racing game. I also have a wireless kb/m setup that I can comfortably use when I want to sit on my Comfy Couch™ and play PC games on my 47" TV. Gamepads do have the advantage should I want to lay down, but I almost never play games while laying down.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
All I will say is that mouse pretty much breaks some third person shooters with how easy it makes them. Case in point: Resident Evil 5. I'm working my way through on Hard at the moment so that I can unlock Expert and I'm playing with a 360 pad so I don't feel like I have aim hacks and shit. Especially with that bow lol.

On the other hand I fucking hate trying to carefully aim with a controller in games like Dead Space and Red Faction (turret aiming?) and I'm never fast enough. Thank god for the mouse then.

Scipius

panda21 said:
anyway i didnt intend to get dragged into this stupid argument again, i think its pretty obvious that asking how if a game supports controllers is perfectly reasonable, and responding with an aggressive 'use KB/M u n00b' reply is completely unhelpful.

Yes, because pointing out there's a better way of controlling a game is obviously unhelpful. It's perfectly fine if you want to limit yourself to a pad for whatever reason, but there's no need to whine about people that do not.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:
Can I just copy my steam folder to another drive and then uninstall the application and reinstall on the new drive?

Yes! I've done it a couple of times in the past.

Actually, just to be safe, only copy the "steamapps" folder and then uninstall Steam, reinstall it to the new drive and then overwrite the new steamapps folder.

LocoMrPollock said:
Can I just copy my steam folder to another drive and then uninstall the application and reinstall on the new drive?
Just copy the entire Steam application folder and run from wherever you leave it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
LocoMrPollock said:
Yes.

I usually do the other way around: I move the SteamApps folder to some new drive (let's say, E:). Then I uninstall Steam from the main drive, install Steam on the new E drive and copy the e:\steamapps folder back inside the new installed Steam application folder.

Visualante said:
Just copy the entire Steam application folder and run from wherever you leave it.
You have to uninstall/reinstall Steam, so it fixes pathing in the Windows Registry.

Dice

Okay so I played a bunch of The Witcher yesterday/night. I'm at the point where I have to help 3 dudes so the town will like me, and I need to go to the last dude. All I have to say about this is WHERE IS MY FUCKING HORSE??? I've played 5 hours and I swear 90% of it has been running back and forth on foot rather than actually doing anything. It's really starting to piss me off, especially when the story sequences show him on a horse.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dice said:
Okay so I played a bunch of The Witcher yesterday/night. I'm at the point where I have to help 3 dudes so the town will like me, and I need to go to the last dude. All I have to say about this is WHERE IS MY FUCKING HORSE??? I've played 5 hours and I swear 90% of it has been running back and forth on foot rather than actually doing anything. It's really starting to piss me off, especially when the story sequences show him on a horse.

You don't have to start and finish quests sequentially. You can go to one area and do more than one thing there before heading back to another place :)

krzy123

So steam tells me I have 89 games.

I went back and tabulated the actual amount I've spent on the games.

$260

or $2.92/game ... feels good man :lol

Dice

Minsc said:
You don't have to start and finish quests sequentially. You can go to one area and do more than one thing there before heading back to another place :)
I was doing that. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Dice said:
I was doing that. :)

It does get better, stick with it. I found the world/town layouts past act 1 to be packed a bit tighter, not so "I'm following a path for five minutes." And there's teleporting later on to help speed traveling up.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dice said:

Chapter 1 has entirely too much running, but after that it's not a problem.

Dice

If you got Red Faction don't enable Ambient Occlusion. Kills the framerate and totally not worth it.

Shaneus

krzy123 said:
So steam tells me I have 89 games.

I went back and tabulated the actual amount I've spent on the games.

$260

or $2.92/game ... feels good man :lol
How did you work that out? Are there prices listed?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Dice said:
If you got Red Faction don't enable Ambient Occlusion. Kills the framerate and totally not worth it.

I'm so turning it on just to spite you

Shaneus

Rufus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8 Could be. You like open world type games and levelling buildings one supporting wall at a time with a sledgehammer or a truck with explosives stuck to it or just explosives? And stuff? The physics, man, the physics. They are the star of the show in this game.
Only just watched this video... holy shit it's hilarious! Space Asshole is awesome.

Oh, and the Steam accounts page won't let me output to a format that Excel would like. I could probably tally manually, but is there a way to at least tell how many games you have?

graywolf323

Shaneus said:
Only just watched this video... holy shit it's hilarious! Space Asshole is awesome.

Oh, and the Steam accounts page won't let me output to a format that Excel would like. I could probably tally manually, but is there a way to at least tell how many games you have?

the easiest way is to look in your Steam Library and check what the tally is next to show all (but make sure you don't have any non-steam shortcuts added since otherwise it counts them)

vesp

Scipius said:
Yes, because pointing out there's a better way of controlling a game is obviously unhelpful. It's perfectly fine if you want to limit yourself to a pad for whatever reason, but there's no need to whine about people that do not.
Omg I can use a mouse for a pc game? Thanks for enlightening me. No one gives a shit that you use a mouse and think it's better. Hell in most ways it is better, almost no one will argue that. But in the world of HTPCs there's a growing demographic of comfy couch pc gamers that want to use a more convenient, even if slightly gimped, control method. Since this is not the way the majority of people play games, people (gasp) ask questions about gamepad support since it is not a given like mouse support is. And yes most of us know about the various key-mapping programs but that's not the same as out of the box support. It often does not feel right, it often takes too long to setup to be worthwhile, and is never actually integrated into UI like games with native 360 pad support often do. These are viable questions that people are asking for constructive opinions on and random CONTROLLER SUCK outbursts do not answer the question being asked and are not constructive in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom