• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
LovingSteam said:
Seems like the community profiles are messed up. Valve added demos and mods to our lists. You should notice your games total increased.
Yup, I noticed this while chatting with a cool GAFer yesterday and we were comparing how many steam games we had from looking at our profiles. He said it wasn't like that about a week ago. Hm

platypotamus said:
Well, less of one anyway. I feel like I trudged across the swamp at least a million times.

Yeah, but you're killing shit constantly in the swamp, so that's not as bad. Running in chapter 1 just gets mind-numbing.

Volcynika

Javaman said:
I'm pretty sure you have to choose the recipient when you buy gifts and it can't be yourself.

If it allows you to enter an email when choosing the recipient, just send it to yourself, you should be able to click the link when logged into your Steam acct on the client...or something.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Lyphen said:
Why gift something to yourself?

I'm getting 2 copies of Titan quest for myself and a friend during the sale. Just waiting for him to DL the demo. On the off chance he doesn't like it I'd like to be able to just sell off the copies. I'm thinking I can gift them to my alt emails and keep the extra copies as sent and resend to myself and my friend later on.

edit: basically, I'm just locking in the price of TQ during the sale so I can sell them later on if I choose to.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Cuban Legend said:
Once you gift something to someone , it automatically adds it to their Library I believe, I don't think it lets them regift it.

Well, it only adds to their library once they accept the gift. I'm just planning on keeping them in the sent state. I'm just not sure if I can resend it to myself and it to my library later on.

Fredescu

Cuban Legend said:
Once you gift something to someone , it automatically adds it to their Library I believe, I don't think it lets them regift it.
No, it only gets added to their library when they "open" the gift, which automatically happens when they login. If you gift something to someone and they never login, you can resend the gift to someone else under Manage Gifts.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
mikespit1200 said:
Well, it only adds to their library once they accept the gift. I'm just planning on keeping them in the sent state. I'm just not sure if I can resend it to myself and it to my library later on.
Pretty sure you'll have to send it to an e-mail and not an account. Gifts do get added to the library even if you don't open it, it just takes 3 days. It won't be activated, but it will appear in the library.

Choabac

I think the latest update to Steam broke my install of Portal.

I just finished the game, exited out and updated Steam. I went back in and Steam says that it's no longer installed, I have to redownload the whole thing again.

Verifying the cache did not help either.

EDIT - Ah figured it out. I changed my default install directory to a different drive a little while back. The new update must have executed from the default C: drive folder. Which explained why all my settings were back to default as well.

Cuban Legend said:
Yup, I noticed this while chatting with a cool GAFer yesterday and we were comparing how many steam games we had from looking at our profiles. He said it wasn't like that about a week ago. Hm

If you want an accurate count of how many games you own, click on the filter drop-down in your games library and read the number next to "All Games". 301!

Ledsen

BobJustBob said:
If you want an accurate count of how many games you own, click on the filter drop-down in your games library and read the number next to "All Games". 301!

But that includes stupid things like the multiplayer versions of some games or Mac copies of Civ IV.

Remy

In case anyone is considering picking up Saints Row 2 since it's on extra-special today, do not. It's a horrible fucking port.

Volcynika said:
Beat Hazard $2.49
Borderlands $10.19 (All three DLC packs $3.39/apiece)
Saints Row 2 $7.49
Max & Magic Marker $5.00
Day of Defeat $1.24
Prototype $14.99
Star Wars Empire at War: Gold Pack $4.99
Bionic Commando Pack $11.24
Half Life 2 $3.39
Crysis $14.99
mikespit1200 said:
FYI, the HL2 episodes are 66% off too. Just grabbed ep2.
From the deals thread.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Remy said:
In case anyone is considering picking up Saints Row 2 since it's on extra-special today, do not. It's a horrible fucking port.
Agreed on that. I can run Crysis on max at 55 FPS and I could barely get SR2 over 20-25. I'm sure that can be helped with tweaks but frankly I can't be arsed.

Darklord

Banned
AstroLad said:
Agreed on that. I can run Crysis on max at 55 FPS and I could barely get SR2 over 20-25. I'm sure that can be helped with tweaks but frankly I can't be arsed.

It's because they are using a 360 emulator to run the game on PC.

Scipius

vesp said:
Omg I can use a mouse for a pc game? Thanks for enlightening me. No one gives a shit that you use a mouse and think it's better. Hell in most ways it is better, almost no one will argue that. But in the world of HTPCs there's a growing demographic of comfy couch pc gamers that want to use a more convenient, even if slightly gimped, control method. Since this is not the way the majority of people play games, people (gasp) ask questions about gamepad support since it is not a given like mouse support is. And yes most of us know about the various key-mapping programs but that's not the same as out of the box support. It often does not feel right, it often takes too long to setup to be worthwhile, and is never actually integrated into UI like games with native 360 pad support often do. These are viable questions that people are asking for constructive opinions on and random CONTROLLER SUCK outbursts do not answer the question being asked and are not constructive in anyway.

What is it with all the butthurt pad players lately? Since when did pointing out that certain PC games are best played with kb/m (something even you rightly and readily admit) become objectionable? The PC caters to many different niches, variations and control schemes; why is it that the console-look-alike niche always insists it is given special treatment?

For every person honestly looking for "constructive help", there's another that is just too damn lazy to spend the short time to adjust to the superior kb/m. A PC is more than just a console with snazzier graphics, people.

Schmattakopf said:
People are talking like today is the last day. I thought it ended July 4th.
I can see the final day being deals bought back for one final push, so after tomorrow we might not get anything new.

kswiston

IMACOMPUTA said:
praying for:

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum
and
Mount and Blade: Warband

Warband for $7.50 is one of the few games left that I would buy during this sale.

Diablohead said:
I can see the final day being deals bought back for one final push, so after tomorrow we might not get anything new.

The sale will likely end on Monday at 9am or 12pm. Tomorrow will be new daily deals. Sunday would be the repeat.

legend166

Is Saints Row 2 literally unplayable? Or will I be able to run it at 30fps? For $3.74, I can take lower performance. But if it's unplayable, I won't buy it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My girlfriend is stuck with an orphaned Transformers: War for Cybertron (40$) gift. Anyone willing to trade for Assassin's Creed 2 (27)?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gaaaahhh... I have already bought so many games, I didn't want to spend any more. But Just Cause 2 is the last game I wanted... What to dooooo...

Remy

legend166 said:
Is Saints Row 2 literally unplayable? Or will I be able to run it at 30fps? For $3.74, I can take lower performance. But if it's unplayable, I won't buy it.

I realize this is a post-sale response, but:

The problem with SR2 PC is that no matter what your rig is, it drops frames fairly regularly - a noticable hiccup every few seconds. I have not heard of anyone being able to maintain a constant framerate no matter what matter of mojo they apply (different drivers, vsync on vs off, etc etc).

My machine runs it around 60FPS when it's not skipping, but the frame drops make it impossible to even drive a car at a reasonable speed.

later

Why isn't the mac section categorized? I just want to be able to hide all windows only games and browser by category for mac games..

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Damnit, why couldn't Transformers have been published by EA. Game is so damn fun (mix of Unreal Championship and TF2), but there's so little PC-centric features.

Makes me sad. Multiplayer is such a blast, but I've never been more frustrated by connection issues.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm attempting to run Steam through WINE but it can't update because i need to tell it to use a proxy (University network).

Any ideas? Steam won't start because it insists on trying to update instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom