• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only potentially bad thing about that shmup is that it's being made by the same development studio who made Bad Rats and I've heard mixed things about that one.

Roofy

John said:
There's Beat Hazard, but after my experiences today I can't recommend it.

are you crazy? i absolutely love Beat Hazard. It was the best 2.50 i've ever spent in my life.

what happened to make you withhold a recommendation for such a fine game?

Fredescu

Timedog said:
is there still only 13 companies on steam?
No. Look at the bottom of the page under publisher catalogs: http://store.steampowered.com/

Not sure if it's exhaustive:

1C Company
2K Games
Activision
Bethesda
Big Fish Games
Capcom
Codemasters
Electronic Arts
Epic Games
Focus
Her Interactive
id Software
Interplay
iWin
JoWooD / DreamCatcher
Kalypso
LucasArts
Majesco
Meridian4
MumboJumbo
NCsoft
NovaLogic
Paradox Interactive
PlayFirst
PopCap
Prima Games
RailSimulator.com
Sandlot Games
SEGA
Sony Online
SouthPeak Games
SQUARE ENIX/Eidos Interactive
Strategy First
Telltale Games
THQ
Tilted Mill
Topware
Ubisoft
Valve
Warner Bros.

Daigoro

crimsonheadGCN said:
A new shmup called Razor2: Hidden Skies is heading to Steam this month and it will have Steam Achievements and Leaderboards.

Trailer

hm. doesn't look all that fun.

Key features:

* Shoot them up (shmup)

* Eight levels
* Fifty different enemy waves
* Incredible Boss fights
* Weapons and equipment upgrades
* Three difficulty levels
* World and local Records
* Ten medals and achievements
* Great graphics, art and shaders
* Easy and amazing gameplay
* Awesome orchestrated music

:lol

With the recent sale, I was thinking about starting a GAF "Let's Play" of X-COM: UFO Defense. Ya know, naming all the soldiers after Gaffers, Bases after the forum/famous threads (Have a base named "Carnival of Stupid" for example), etc. what do you all think?

Fuck, people are looking forward to a midweek madness? I hope they have nothing good until the holidays. Please, please, please.

Speaking of passes, these are up for grabs still:
1 CS:S
2 Red Orchestra

Add me on Steam if you want one.

John

Roofy said:
are you crazy? i absolutely love Beat Hazard. It was the best 2.50 i've ever spent in my life.

what happened to make you withhold a recommendation for such a fine game?
I think it's the volume system that kills it. The developers must have decided to put in this system where the player collects volume tokens to gradually increase the volume of the music over the course of the game to give it some dramatic arc. But most music already has a dynamic arc of its own, and imposing the game's on it kind of defeats the purpose of making the music into a shmup in the first place.

Also, the game is naturally limited to rhythmic and volume input from the music; what I consider to be the most important form of tension in music, harmony, isn't considered by Beat Hazard. I played through the Rite of Spring yesterday, and it made no difference if the vertical harmony was a pretty add9 chord or some polytonal soul-crushing cluster; it didn't matter at all. I didn't expect it to, but it kills the basic idea of the game.

I didn't just play classical music; I did some jazz and some instrumental metal and rock. No matter what I played, the correlation between what I was hearing and what was onscreen, besides the blinking stars in the background, seemed thin.

Plus, the game's a downloadable seizure. But you get used to that. :lol

Volcynika

Midweek madness sales have also gone up at noon Pacific time, not like this signals there isn't one. But come on people, beat the addiction! :lol

Demos you can unlock steam achievements?

i saw Turba. and it showed everyone on my friend list got the game :lol.

EDIT: Gasp. it's not free anymore ;( because instead of putting up the demo they had the full game. should have played until i got it all :lol

at least i got 2 achievements.

Sloegr

Lonewolf_92 said:
With the recent sale, I was thinking about starting a GAF "Let's Play" of X-COM: UFO Defense. Ya know, naming all the soldiers after Gaffers, Bases after the forum/famous threads (Have a base named "Carnival of Stupid" for example), etc. what do you all think?

There's a thread where people have done this - XCOM thread.

Hopefully you'll add your saga to the thread. I like reading through them.

I downloaded Steam for my Mac a couple of days ago, and I downloaded Half-Life 2 today. It's incredible playing this game with a mouse/keyboard set-up, considering my only other Half-Life 2 experience was with the 360 control pad for 10 minutes. I'm loving it so far.

kamspy

John said:
I think it's the volume system that kills it. The developers must have decided to put in this system where the player collects volume tokens to gradually increase the volume of the music over the course of the game to give it some dramatic arc. But most music already has a dynamic arc of its own, and imposing the game's on it kind of defeats the purpose of making the music into a shmup in the first place.

Also, the game is naturally limited to rhythmic and volume input from the music; what I consider to be the most important form of tension in music, harmony, isn't considered by Beat Hazard. I played through the Rite of Spring yesterday, and it made no difference if the vertical harmony was a pretty add9 chord or some polytonal soul-crushing cluster; it didn't matter at all. I didn't expect it to, but it kills the basic idea of the game.

I didn't just play classical music; I did some jazz and some instrumental metal and rock. No matter what I played, the correlation between what I was hearing and what was onscreen, besides the blinking stars in the background, seemed thin.

Plus, the game's a downloadable seizure. But you get used to that. :lol

agree. I was beginning to think the demo just didn't register songs properly.:lol

butts

Picked up NecroVision during the sale last week - any one else get crashes while trying to play? I can't get past the first level, it keeps crashing. Looks like a video crash (solid color screen, audio still playing in the background). Just wondering if it is my video card or just the somewhat janky game.

epmode

John said:
You are not going to see that sort of interactivity in a videogame for a long, long time. Dynamic changes are infinitely easier for a computer to decipher than tonal dissonance/whatever.

..it would be pretty rad though.

nexen

butts said:
Picked up NecroVision during the sale last week - any one else get crashes while trying to play? I can't get past the first level, it keeps crashing. Looks like a video crash (solid color screen, audio still playing in the background). Just wondering if it is my video card or just the somewhat janky game.
I picked it up. Aside from having to hit "ctrl+enter" at the start in order to get to the main menu (otherwise it tries and fails to play a video over and over again) it seems to run fine. I played it for almost 2 hours solid with no other issue.

an aside: The voice actor sounds a whole lot like a younger George W Bush. I like to imagine I am playing as him. It makes the B-movie nature of the game so much more fun.

Dizzy-4U said:
Yeah man, me too. I have time to play the games now. That's not fun at all =/
The getting is infinitely more fun than the having.

5K7pD.png

ah off to a good start

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
nexen said:
I picked it up. Aside from having to hit "ctrl+enter" at the start in order to get to the main menu (otherwise it tries and fails to play a video over and over again) it seems to run fine. I played it for almost 2 hours solid with no other issue.

an aside: The voice actor sounds a whole lot like a younger George W Bush. I like to imagine I am playing as him. It makes the B-movie nature of the game so much more fun.

The getting is infinitely more fun than the having.
Luckily, PC games age really, really well. Even low budget games look great at 1080p/4xAA/60fps.

nexen

SapientWolf said:
Luckily, PC games age really, really well. Even low budget games look great at 1080p/4xAA/60fps.
Meh. As someone who regularly fires up DOSBox to revisit his youth I'm far more concerned about the interface aging than the graphics. Also a giant backlog makes me feel warm and cozy. Safe. I don't know why. Maybe in case of sudden, catastrophic game industry collapse or something. I'll have fresh new games to play for years while the rest of you poor blighters wander the dusty wasteland in agony.

John

epmode said:
You are not going to see that sort of interactivity in a videogame for a long, long time. Dynamic changes are infinitely easier for a computer to decipher than tonal dissonance/whatever.

..it would be pretty rad though.
Yep. Until then, music-based games are always going to be crippled like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom