• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

taoofjord

This has barely anything to do with this thread, but since I'm still a junior member I can't yet do anything about this:

Can someone *please* create a thread home for the following games:

1) Cortex Command

2) Minecraft

3) Dwarf Fortress

4) Frozen Synapse

These four games, in my opinion, are the best of the best when it comes to indie gaming on the pc, let alone, some of the best and most innovative games I've played in my 25 years of gaming. Emergent gameplay fiends NEED to play these and the word needs to go out on these 4 games so more people on GAF can discover these masterpieces.

If no one wants to make threads for each game, why not make one thread for all four? Call it something like "The Holy Four: Innovative PC Gaming At Its Finest" -- or whatever.

And if no one's up to that task, for the love of god, someone make me a Member so I can do it. :(

graywolf323

wmat said:
o0ll4.png

what

that is one magic bullet :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Netrunner2k2 said:
Nah. You are just.that.good.

Or 27 guys lined up somehow and the bullet went through them all killing them instantly.
I didn't fucking hit anything though! The stats don't lie.

Must've been the bang then.

taoofjord

A quick and dirty post on the four best pc games in the making (that you can play right now):

1) Cortex Command

Cortex Command is by far one of the most insane sandbox combat games out there. Incredibly advanced physics, a TON of weapons and objects, strategic base-building -- all on a 2D plane with fantastic sprite-work that results in some of the most insane battles you can experience in any game ever created. Multiplayer is slowly being added. The game hasn't been released but if you pre-order you can play the alpha version (insanely fun) and continue to get all the updates as they're released. The game has a very active community, like all of the games listed here, and there are tons of mods available - some going as far to thrown in giant, destructible robots out of your favorite anime.

2) Minecraft

A true sandbox exploration game. Build whatever you want with the blocks given to you in a procedurally generated world. Great looking 3D pixel art. Build a huge tower and defend it from the monsters that spawn at night. Or dig deep and find diamonds and gold to craft and smelt better tools, weapons, and armor. Endlessly replayable. The game gets more and more complex every week (with each update). The "creative" mode is free to play in single player and multiplayer but the real meat of the game (survival mode) requires you pre-order the game ($13). Survival mode is amazing! AND! Multiplayer survival mode will be implented in the next few weeks!

3) Dwarf Fortress

This is probably the one you've heard of. The deepest game in existence. The posterboy of emergent, sandbox gameplay. A one of a kind, masterpiece in indie gaming. It's a rogue-like and a base-building game that thrives off of you sharing your stories with other players. Go here for more info.

4) Frozen Synapse

Love the combat of X-Com and Jagged Alliance? Well here's your change to play the best modern iteration of it. Simultaneous turn-based multiplayer gameplay (SO REFRESHING!) gives you the chance to pop in and out throughout the day (you don't have to be online at the same time). Absolutely one of the best tactical combat games around. The retail game isnt out, but once again, if you pre-order you get access to every alpha/beta build until its release.

taoofjord said:
1) Cortex Command

Cortex Command is by far one of the most insane sandbox combat games out there. Incredibly advanced physics, a TON of weapons and objects, strategic base-building -- all on a 2D plane with fantastic sprite-work that results in some of the most insane battles you can experience in any game ever created. Multiplayer is slowly being added. The game hasn't been released but if you pre-order you can play the alpha version (insanely fun) and continue to get all the updates as they're released. The game has a very active community, like all of the games listed here, and there are tons of mods available - some going as far to thrown in giant, destructible robots out of your favorite anime.
While the physics are amazing in it, it makes it really annoying to control. Everything keeps stumbling around and falling over for me...

taoofjord

Twig said:
wrong thread i think

Actually it's a follow up to my previous post on this page. I'm a junior member so I can't make a thread about these four games... I was hoping I'd inspire someone else to do this and didn't know where else to post this.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
taoofjord said:
Actually it's a follow up to my previous post on this page. I'm a junior member so I can't make a thread about these four games... I was hoping I'd inspire someone else to do this and didn't know where else to post this.
I think we all appreciate the effort, but staying on topic makes much more sense than posting games you like in random threads, if you catch my drift.

Having said that, I think I'll get Frozen Synapse at some point, I find it really interesting. Don't like Minecraft, Cortex Command or Dwarf Fortress one bit though. Minecraft has some potential, I guess, but it could be much smoother and directed in all aspects — it's sandboxy to a fault in my opinion. Cortex Command is just random, but I have to admit that the premise and execution both are sort of interesting, can't see the long-time appeal though. Dwarf Fortress is too involved and too detailed in its mechanics to win me over.

I know this is jumping off topic but I figured out of all the threads you guys would be the best user base to ask.

what is the general consensus on the best controller for pc gaming? With all the recent steam deals now seems more than an appropriate time to pick one up.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Suburban_Nooblet said:
I know this is jumping off topic but I figured out of all the threads you guys would be the best user base to ask.

what is the general consensus on the best controller for pc gaming? With all the recent steam deals now seems more than an appropriate time to pick one up.
Either kb+m or Microsoft's X360 controller with an adapter (not being sold anymore) or the PC/360 controller they're selling now.

vazel

Banned
Suburban_Nooblet said:

As much as I hate it the 360 controller is the de facto standard pc controller. Lots of games are made with it in mind and some have the 360 buttons in the gui. Some games are buggy for non-360 controllers(I have to use a 360 controller emulator for Mirror's Edge on my Rumblepad 2 and Tomb Raider Anniversary's rumble only works for 360 controllers).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Suburban_Nooblet said:

360 wired controller.

Edgeward

360 pad but if I'm playing a 2D game like Cave Story I'll plug my ps2 adapter I grabbed from radio shack, because digital control is a must for certain games.

Fireblend

Banned
I use my old PS2 controller with an USB adapter. Considering I got to revive the controller (my PS2 died a horrible death D: ) and the adapter was like $10, it's brilliant.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Suburban_Nooblet said:
Awesome considering I own three 360 controllers. Thanks GAF
The standard 360 controllers don't work though. You definitely need PC/360 crossover controllers. They're always wired.

Shaneus

You don't specifically need to get the PC/360 controllers in the red packaging, though... I have a wired 360 pad that came in 360 packaging and it works fine. If that's what you're getting at.

The wireless adapter can also be used as well (I guess) but I'm not sure how well they work compared to wired controllers.

ArjanN

wmat said:
The standard 360 controllers don't work though. You definitely need PC/360 crossover controllers. They're always wired.

As long as they're wired they'll work. There is no specific PC version of the 360 controller even though MS likes to pretend there is. It's the exact same controller except it comes with the driver, which windows automatically downoads for you in 2 seconds anyway when you plug in the controller.

chixdiggit

wmat said:

Yea, not true at all. I use the same wired and wireless controllers on both my PC and 360. The packaging means nothing.

Shaneus said:
The wireless adapter can also be used as well (I guess) but I'm not sure how well they work compared to wired controllers.

Works superb.

They discontinued the wireless receiver after all? I have one of those and it works great.

EDIT except you need to pull the fucking battery door to turn the controller off when you're done with it. Stays on for 20 minutes or something if you don't

taoofjord said:
3) Dwarf Fortress

This is probably the one you've heard of. The deepest game in existence. The posterboy of emergent, sandbox gameplay. A one of a kind, masterpiece in indie gaming. It's a rogue-like and a base-building game that thrives off of you sharing your stories with other players. Go here for more info.

DF has a thread or two around. We even did a couple succession games (I killed both of them, and have barred myself from any in the future)

Anyone else having issues with Steam Gifts? I sent a couple friends Killing Floor gifts early monday morning, neither received the pop up, one got the email, but the other didnt seem too. I cant resend the gift, because it says he already owns it.

Why arent the gifts you receive listed with the gifts you have sent out, seems like that woulda been a good idea.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
John said:
I think it's the volume system that kills it. The developers must have decided to put in this system where the player collects volume tokens to gradually increase the volume of the music over the course of the game to give it some dramatic arc. But most music already has a dynamic arc of its own, and imposing the game's on it kind of defeats the purpose of making the music into a shmup in the first place.
As you increase in rank, you get perks, including starting with slightly higher volume. Once you get to elite you start each track at full volume and power.

Shaneus

The reason for the volume isn't dramatic arc. The volume of the music in the game is what controls how powerful your shots are. In quiet parts of the track your weapon isn't as powerful, just as when you first start the game and have no volume power-ups.

It's a bitch when most of what you play with is electronic music where there are 30sec+ breakdowns and then a fucking boss comes :lol

Jubs

So I bought Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory when it was 33% off during the summer sale, and man I suck. I can't even get past those two guys on the bridge in the first level. :lol :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, multiplayer is thoroughly good. It's great with just 4 people running around, but a full house would be amazing.

Mrbob

I picked it up. Playing rearmed first.

I wonder why more companies don't just try to sell the multi separately...especially if it is really good. Capcom should sell BC multi package for $9.99 and see how it does.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Man, fuck you guys who didn't buy Bionic Commando when it was on sale. The multiplayer is fun as hell.
I didn't even know the game HAD multiplayer. WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING WHILE IT WAS ON SALE?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Repost for new page to rub in how much you guys are missing out: Man, fuck you guys who didn't buy Bionic Commando when it was on sale. The multiplayer is fun as hell.

bionic_commando2010-07owu6.jpg

bionic_commando2010-07zjpq.jpg

bionic_commando2010-073mll.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom