• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinner said:
I wonder what the weekend deal will be....

(better be either s.ta.l.k.e.r. or cs source).
STALKER has been up as a deal before, and I've never seen them do the same game twice. (Or did they do L4D once before?)

Clear Sky might be due for a weekend deal though.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
rohlfinator said:
STALKER has been up as a deal before, and I've never seen them do the same game twice. (Or did they do L4D once before?)

Clear Sky might be due for a weekend deal though.
They've done Red Orchestra, like, three times. :lol

Pretty hilarious that Mirror's Edge went from $60 to $20 in 5½ months.

In this current generation of games, this just reinforces my belief that games with completely offline gameplay should not launch at $60.

AnEternalEnigma said:

How's that funny?

For those you don't have it still though, it really is worth every penny.

I remember playing the parts they talked about on the 1up Show where they said how hard it was but I had no difficulty in those sections. They made it seem worse then it really is.

typo said:
I wish there was a Mirror's Edge PC demo. My setup is borderline equal to the system reqs (outside of 2GBs of RAM).
Just try Unreal Tournament 3 on max settings. That should be about as equal as ME

Costanza said:
Deservedly so. The game is garbage.
f2q9ht.gif

What? The game is pretty damn awesome on PC.

Blizzard

Banned
Costanza said:
Deservedly so. The game is garbage.

No, it's actually very good on PC, one of the most engaging FPS games I've ever played. It does a great job of being atmospheric and giving the player a physical "presence" in the game, though the game obviously has flaws. Also, it started at $50 on PC, not $60, unless the other poster was talking about a PS3 price drop from $60 to $20.

Just remember you can't use the DLC on Steam unless you like doing lots of complicated machinations to get it half-working. If you have UT3 you can mess around in the editor though, which is fun, and the editor works better on the Steam version than on the retail version (i.e. you don't die quickly while playing in-editor due to some crazy anti-hack code).

Erudite

Defense Grid: The Awakening 75% off until May 13th. ($5)

Didn't see this one coming. Kinda funny, I played the demo yesterday, thinking I would pick it up the next time it went on sale :D

Costanza

Banned
Traced-Velocity said:

Didn't see this one coming. Kinda funny, I played the demo yesterday, thinking I would pick it up the next time it went on sale :D
Holy shit

bought

AnEternalEnigma said:

In this current generation of games, this just reinforces my belief that games with completely offline gameplay should not launch at $60.

You mean $50 to $20 in 4 months. (unless you're talking console) It was hard justifying the $50 price tag when the console versions were already sub-$30 at the time of release. This is common with games which are late to the PC party.

Mrbob

Traced-Velocity said:

I'm getting sick of TD, but Frag says this is good so I'll give it a whirl. 5 dollars too cheap to pass up.

Boonoo

Traced-Velocity said:

Nice! I was just looking at this earlier today. Good thing I didn't nab it when it was still 20.

desertdroog

Just played the Demo of Defense Grid on Friday...thinking to myself...should I buy this or Savage Moon and Pixel Junk Monsters...

Defense Grid Bought!

The other two, still wanting.

BobsRevenge

Picked up Mirror's Edge.

Thinking about Defense Grid, but I've got a whole week to make that decision. I really don't like the graphics. :(

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I am kinda interested in Defense grid but i dunno if my PC is good enough to run the game decently, i pass the minum requirements except for the CPU (by only 100 MHZ). gonna have to try the demo to see how the game runs.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is Audiosurf really stuttery for anyone else? It used to work fine for me but now whenever I move my thing left and right it stutters, it pretty much makes the game unplayable for me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've been avoiding Dark Sector, but this sale might tip the scales.
JodyAnthony said:
i have a laptop that i THINK can run it, but I can't be sure.

I hate not having demos for games
What's the GPU?

Slavik81

TouchMyBox said:
Mirror's Edge $19.99!!!

YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO EXCUSES.
God dammit.
I bought it yesterday.
From the EA Store, because it was $16 (after coupon) there, and $40 on Steam.

Let me know when there's a Mirror's Edge weekend deal. I'll stick to my plan of buying the EA copy and buying the Steam copy when it's $5-$10.

Talon

Mirror's Edge is admittedly a pretty flawed game (gun controls, pacing in some of the levels), but that game tends to just "click" every now and then.

When you're running off the wall and leaping onto a ledge in a perfectly fluid motion while getting chased by guys you can't possibly beat, Mirror's Edge captures that tension of fleeing perfectly. There are very few games that get that feeling right, especially at such a breakneck pace.

It's those parts where you have to slowdown that bog down the experience.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone else had a problem with Steam not saving their update settings? Every time Steam starts, Mirror's Edge has been reset back to "Always keep this game up to date", even when I turn updates off. I imagine EA will never update the game, but I still wanted to keep updates off. Is there something I'm missing?

LovingSteam said:
BY the way, anybody play 1701 AD Gold? Can you recommend it?

Huh. Usually anytime 1701 AD is mentioned, Kabouter is along within hours to proselytize for it. But I guess you'll have to settle for me.

It's great. You know how a lot of similar games have a resource model where two resource producers create enough to supply one resource harvester? This has that too. But all the production buildings (resource harvesters) display an efficiency percentage to let you know at what capacity they're running. So if you forget and only build one sheep farm for the wool guy, you'll realize your mistake when he only runs at 50% capacity. The efficiency percentage is updated in realtime based on his output, you see. It accommodates you. That's how it is. Don't like the crappy combat in these games? Don't add the single warlike AI or the pirates to your game, and no one will ever make an unprovoked attack.

Also it's beautiful. This is normally where I'd link a bunch of screenshots but I seem to have misplaced them. Settle for these two.

markot

Banned
Anno is great ^_^

Games can take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages though, but I still like it.

Cant wait for the next one and wii/ds ones! (It also rocks on the DS already!)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had been interested in the Anno series for quite some time as I love historical strategy games and just when I was about to buy it on Steam along with Mirror's Edge and Defense Grid I decided to check Gamersgate on a whim. I'm glad I did, because it is currently 50% off over there and I was able to pick it up for $14.99!

I went ahead and grabbed it on Gamersgate instead. It is nice having most of my games on Steam, but I have been picking up quite a few games on Gamersgate as well recently thanks to their awesome deals. Too bad their download speeds are awful in comparison to Steam.

Anna 1404 is out in June isn't it? I would jump at 1701, but with 1404 so soon I think I'll hold off, the demo was gorgeous for 1701 though.

Traced-Velocity said:

Nice, bought.

BobsRevenge

Wow, turning PhysX on in Mirror's Edge wrecks my computer. My poor 4850... :(

Game runs beautifully with it off though.

Blizzard

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Wow, turning PhysX on in Mirror's Edge wrecks my computer. My poor 4850... :(

Game runs beautifully with it off though.

Yup, PhysX is nVidia only, basically.

Also if I play 1680x1050 with 4xAA and "highest" textures and effects, I thought I actually got some stutter in places, so I'm glad it's running smoothly for you. (I also have a 4850)

BobsRevenge

Blizzard said:

Also if I play 1680x1050 with 4xAA and "highest" textures and effects, I thought I actually got some stutter in places, so I'm glad it's running smoothly for you. (I also have a 4850)
I'm running at 1440x900 (my native resolution) and 4xAA. I had to turn off the... fuck, I forgot what it's called. The thing that keeps it from tearing or whatever. Turned that off to get it to run smooth. It was tearing with it on when it started stuttering anyways, so I figured I might as well turn it off.

BobsRevenge said:
I'm running at 1440x900 (my native resolution) and 4xAA. I had to turn off the... fuck, I forgot what it's called. The thing that keeps it from tearing or whatever. Turned that off to get it to run smooth. It was tearing with it on when it started stuttering anyways, so I figured I might as well turn it off.
Vsync?

BobsRevenge said:

I'm assuming you were thinking of v-sync?

Big-E

Defense Grid is so bought when I get home. Was going to get it the other day, glad I waited though I doubt the devs like that.

Malvolio

burgerdog said:
They need to reduce the price on Crysis Complete Pack($59.99) to match the retail price of Crysis Maximum Edition($39.99) grrr

They certainly do. I've held off on Crysis for a long time now, waiting until I could play it on a proper PC. I'm so tempted to just run to the store to buy the boxed version. Must...hold...out.

I am sure they will soon, especially now that D2D has the maximum package up. BTW, Oblivion and Morrowind should be coming soon as they have just finished implementing the languages for both games.

Tokubetsu

Blizzard said:

Which is funny because I have Crossfire 4870s and AA max, 1680x1050 and PhysX runs fine for me.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Steam should really fix the annoying problem that prevented me from buying Defense Grid, you can't buy the game with paypal if your funds are less of the game's original price. I am gonna have to ask a buddy to gift the game for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom