• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
ugh, I'm on the fence for this game.

It's only five bucks, but it's an RTS. Does this game do anything different or cool than other RTSes?

Odrion said:
ugh, I'm on the fence for this game.

It's only five bucks, but it's an RTS. Does this game do anything different or cool than other RTSes?

IIRC the resource gathering differs for each of the three factions, but some would say that's more of a detriment than anything, almost eliminating the resource wars. One of the faction's bases is a massive walker that roams around and has hardpoints that you can upgrade and modify.

ryuen

For those who are planning on getting Universe at War, there's a problem with the cd-keys that Steam is issuing. You can still play the game, you just won't be able to play online or tie the game to your Games for Windows account.

Okay...
Ingame I press LIVE and then > Login Existing Live account.
The screen changes and asks for my CD key.

It looks like ABCD-EFGH-IJKL-MNOP-QRST

So 5 areas with 4 symbols each. (20 chars)
But the type in are has FIVE slots for each area.
like 12345-6789a-bcdefg

So I typed in (red -are the ones in the window, not typed in ones)
ABCD-EFGH-IJKL-MNOP-QRST
Note: behind every area one potential charakter is not entered. So I press tab after every 4th char. Invalid.

I try it with spacebar at the end - nothing. I even try NOT changing the slot after 4 chars so it looks like this
ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PQRST
Invalid.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856891

I had the same thing happen to me. The game also would give me an "abnormal game exit" error at first. You have to install "Games for Windows" to get past that.

Steam has completely sold me on digital distribution. I just purchased Mass Effect and can't wait to play it after it's done downloading.

The only problem is that it even makes FiOS seem slow. I could use a faster connection. :lol

Red

Abnormal game exists are typical for UaW, regardless of where you got it from. Some of you may have trouble getting past the cutscene following the first mission. The patches won't totally fix the issues, but they'll help the game crash less.

Echoes of Pink said:
Steam has completely sold me on digital distribution. I just purchased Mass Effect and can't wait to play it after it's done downloading.

The only problem is that it even makes FiOS seem slow. I could use a faster connection. :lol

Please don't get as sick as some of us are. Some of us (ME) have become slaves to Valve when it comes to our games list :(

zbarron

I don't know how recently this happened but Mirror's Edge is now $20 on Steam. I picked it up. I think the download size is a little less than 3GB so it may take me a while to play it.

Speedball2 Tournament

Reviews

"I couldn't stop playing it. This could be a dark, violent horse." - Eurogamer.net

About the Game

In 2326, rival gangs form an ultra-violent streetsports league Speedball to settle their deadly disputes. Two teams face each other in bloody battles for a steel ball: Nine on nine - in an all-out rush on the opponents' goal. Almost any malicious move is permitted. The winner of the matches secures supremacy over the city.

The highly anticipated PC revival to the legendary Amiga classic transforms the futuristic game setting with state-of-the-art technology into a high-speed online sports spectacle. Offering international leagues, a worldwide ranking system and an intuitive matchmaking function, Speedball 2 - Tournament pulls all registers of modern multiplayer gaming action. Fully customisable male, female and cyborg characters, dynamic sports battles, and a unique online community platform with online player and clan profiles will thrill sports simulation enthusiasts, action fans, and e-sports experts likewise.

Unique future sports action for the PC platform
Four gigantic arenas with animated audiences
High-Polygon 3D models
Fully customisable player characters
Freely configurable team line-up
Classic mode: intuitive one-button control for retro aficionados
Advanced mode: automatic passing-system, eight different camera views, advanced control system for new special moves like powerful jump shots
Single-Player mode: knock out, league and tournament matches
Multiplayer mode: 1on1 and 2on2 on one computer or via LAN and Internet
Dedicated server solution for dynamic online battles
Game-Center online community platform: matchmaking, leagues, ladder, news, replays, player and clan profiles, chat and blog tools

System Requirements
Minimum:

Supported OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP/Vista
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c or later
Processor: Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Graphics: 128 MB video card with PixelShader 2
Hard Drive: 2.0 GB Hard Drive space
Network: Internet connection required
Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse, Joypad

Those Terminator recommended specs. have to be some kind of sick joke surely? I mean we're talking about a machine that is at least 4x as powerful as a Xbox 360, and that's on the low end of estimates. If such a machine can run all other 360 ports at twice the framerate with twice the resolution, with better effects and much better IQ then surely those requirements are way too liberal? If they're not then we're talking about one of the worst PC ports of living memory.

I can't believe the amount of people that have never heard of Speedball before, sure the PC remake flew under the radar a little but the Amiga original was legendary.

Not sure if this belongs here but what the hey.

What is the next game on Steam you guys plan on purchasing? I am really thinking of Men of War but not sure just yet.

Football Manager Live is now free to owners of FM2009. Its subscription based (as its basically an MMO version of Football Manager) but you get a 4 month free trial with it anyway.

brain_stew said:
Football Manager Live is now free to owners of FM2009. Its subscription based (as its basically an MMO version of Football Manager) but you get a 4 month free trial with it anyway.

The message I got said that it's half price? My copy of FM09 is uninstalled at the moment, but I own it on steam.

LovingSteam said:

What is the next game on Steam you guys plan on purchasing? I am really thinking of Men of War but not sure just yet.
Blueberry Garden and maybe Dyson, pending a demo. I've got a smallish backlog with Stalker, Zeno Clash. We're definitely heading in to the Summer lull.

I want to play Cryostasis but I'm not sure it's for me.

chicken_ramen said:
The message I got said that it's half price? My copy of FM09 is uninstalled at the moment, but I own it on steam.

Yeah, that's why I checked it out but on the prodcut page it says its free to owners of FM2009 on Steam, dunno how it works as I haven't got it on Steam. Just passing along the message.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
Free Speedball 2 for all! :D

Just enter your email address at the link below and enter in the key you get into Steam and it'll be added to your account:

http://www.cdaction.pl/seriale/speedball_2

Worked perfectly for me, its a promotion from some Polish magazine apparently.

Hey that worked! too bad i don't meet the minimum specs :lol anyway free stuff is always good, they should do more of these promos.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
LovingSteam said:

It always depends on the weekend deal :lol

Which needs to step up this week btw. But lately all the stuff I want has been price undercut at the other big sites so I went there instead. I like Steam a lot, but I'm not going to have weird loyalty to a download service if they're more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom