• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
mikespit1200 said:
Does anyone have any tips for playable settings on Cryostasis? I'm running a 5770 and AMD PII 1090T. I've turned off physx and hardware physx but still get a little chug in fps.

Same card as you on an i5 2.66 quad core. No combination of drivers, patches or settings ever gave me a decent framerate in that game. Even putting everything on low. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the "icing" screen effect that happens when you're walking around on the ship. When I go into the flashback sequences, the framerate is fine. As soon as I'm back in the normal game, it drops very badly. Like getting only 5-8 fps badly.

Pretty sure it is an ATI issue, and may be a specific 5770 issue as other people with ATI boards don't seem to have that much trouble with the game.

A real shame too, as the game seems awesome.

Red

crimsonheadGCN said:
Rhythm Zone seems to be released and the price is $8.99.

Anyone willing to buy it and try it out?
Just played a couple songs. It's alright. I like it, I'd say worth the $9. The tracks sometimes twist on you, skewing perspective and moving around the screen, which is a terrible thing that can't be turned off. Focusing on specific points on a track that slowly moves like that is sickness inducing. Like riding a rocking boat. But the core gameplay itself is decent, wish it was a little smoother, but it does what it's supposed to do. Track detection works well. Doesn't detect guitar notes or anything like that specifically, but it does as good a job as Audiosurf in getting the rhythm of a song down.

By far my biggest complaint is the fact that the note track moves around during songs. Can't imagine anyone would have ever thought that was a good idea. Second biggest complaint is the annoying static sound that repeats every time you miss a note. Sounds cheap.

Seems like the game is locked at 30 fps? Shame.

mikespit1200 said:
Does anyone have any tips for playable settings on Cryostasis? I'm running a 5770 and AMD PII 1090T. I've turned off physx and hardware physx but still get a little chug in fps.

The only thing that seems to make any kind of difference at all is lowering the resolution.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Is Sim City 4 considered the best in the series? I have never played Sim City game other than the SNES version.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LovingSteam said:
WOAH! Valve seems to be getting into the GoG library. A CYAN complete package was added to the registry:

Riven, Real Myst, Manhole, Spelunx, Cosmic Osmo, Uru

Good, I wanted to replay Riven and it's not very convenient to do so.

trinest

LovingSteam said:
WOAH! Valve seems to be getting into the GoG library. A CYAN complete package was added to the registry:

Riven, Real Myst, Manhole, Spelunx, Cosmic Osmo, Uru
Oh yes. Smart move for Steam- getting sales which would of went to GoG + they are adding the stuff I want which GoG lacks or hasn't got yet.

Myst would be awesome if they put the whole series up- possibly in a package.

Yeef

Archie said:
Is Sim City 4 considered the best in the series? I have never played Sim City game other than the SNES version.
I think SimCity 2000 is generally considered the best. 3000 is my personal favorite and 4000 takes a lot of the stuff in 3000 and kicks it up a level. I remember it having lots of issues when I played it (when it was first released) but it seems likely that it'd all be patched up by now. If not officially than via mods.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
No one even suggested Steam is better than GOG, you jabroni.

This is not Twig, but an amazing simulation!

Twig said:
GOG is a better service than Steam anyway you dill weeds.

EDIT: But they do get games way too slow it seems.

Who even mentioned which is better? I was making a statement that Valve is trying to add some of the games that GoG does which is true.

Mafia 2 was just added for pre purchase with a free copy of Mafia

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
LovingSteam said:
Who even mentioned which is better? I was making a statement that Valve is trying to add some of the games that GoG does which is true.
DAMN YOU VALVE LEAVE GOG ALONE!

Stumpokapow said:
Good, I wanted to replay Riven and it's not very convenient to do so.
My brother was trying to play Riven on our old iMac earlier this summer... the puzzles are so much harder than those in Myst. Although I suppose a digital release would lessen the annoyance of the disc swapping.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really like the main Steam page when they pimp a big new Steamworks game. I guess it's one of those Steamworks benefits.

I <3 Steam achievements in Mafia II even though I tend to stop caring about achievements after beating a game.

Since this is a Steamworks title, does that mean I can buy the physical copy and enter the Serial number? There is a nice deluxe edition with a hardcover art book.

(Then again, I wouldn't get the free Mafia 1 game that way.)

61hV0KPNjdL._AA300_.jpg

graywolf323

crimsonheadGCN said:
No way to get Mafia by itself? Not sure if I want to buy Mafia 2 right now, since I only played a little bit of it a few years back.

looks like that's the only way right now

hopefully it'll go on sale by itself soon enough

Yeah, I definitely want Mafia (in my Top 5 of all time for PC) to buy so I have it on Steam. I'll probably be getting console Mafia 2 because of my weaksauce PC so hopefully they open it up for purchase on its own soon.

Mrbob

What is in the Steam digital deluxe version of Mafia 2?

Edit: I finally got into the page and saw it. Tough call here...free Mafia on Steam but for the extras I'd prefer a physical copy. Especially since this is a steamworks title.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Mrbob said:
What is in the Steam digital deluxe version of Mafia 2?

Digital Deluxe Edition

Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.

Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.

Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.

Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

Myst games, SimCity 4000, Mafia I+II, fuuuuuuuuuuuckk

*head explodes*

God if they start adding classic Sim games like Tower, Ant, or Farm it will be the death of me.

Tenks

AcridMeat said:
Is there something wrong with Warband? Why is it that I don't see anyone playing it. :(

The only thing wrong is not everyone purchased it. Game is balls-all fuck-all dick-all awesome.

Nickiepoo

Tenks said:
The only thing wrong is not everyone purchased it. Game is balls-all fuck-all dick-all awesome.

If anyone says otherwise having taken part in a 200 man siege then clearly there is something wrong with them.

Twig said:
I did.

The fuck kinda question is that?
Why did you when nobody else was even comparingthe two? It's like being in an Apple thread and someone saying Apple is doing some of the same things as Micro and then you saying "durrr Micro is better!!! Durrr".

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ok, so Penumbra is up for sale today. Two questions for those in the know:

1.) is this a good price historically (i.e., has either the Gold Edition or the Collector Pack been cheaper)

2.) is Penumbra Overture worth the additional cost for the Collector Pack?

Archie said:
I loved every iteration of the series more than its predecessor, so SC4 is definitely the best for me. It is freaking awesome. It just doesn't run as well as it probably should.

vocab

luxarific said:
Ok, so Penumbra is up for sale today. Two questions for those in the know:

1.) is this a good price historically (i.e., has either the Gold Edition or the Collector Pack been cheaper)

2.) is Penumbra Overture worth the additional cost for the Collector Pack?

The whole collection was on sale for $5 before. Overture is the first game in the series btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom