• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried Lead&Gold for a few minutes, and it was ok. It´s the kind of game I would have jumped at if I had no alternatives, but I can´t recommend it to anyone who already owns TF2. It´s a nice attempt from some fellow swedes, but inferior to Valves giant.

hamchan

I can't recommend Lead and Gold because when I tried playing it I couldn't even get into a game since my ping is too high. Game is unplayable to me and I regret buying it.

Vastag

The server situation in Lead & Gold is truly terrible. I have been only able to play once after several tries and the host disconnected after 5 minutes. I don't have time to be 15 minutes trying to find a game (same happens with Alien Swarm sadly).

trinest

hamchan said:
I can't recommend Lead and Gold because when I tried playing it I couldn't even get into a game since my ping is too high. Game is unplayable to me and I regret buying it.
Yeah I got the Ping issue occasionaly, have it with TF2 as well- so its just the luck of the draw. Most times I'm lucky that if I get a game- and what I have found is sometimes nothing will work- saying Ping is to high- and when I reboot the game it works fine.

Billen

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Tried Lead&Gold for a few minutes, and it was ok. It´s the kind of game I would have jumped at if I had no alternatives, but I can´t recommend it to anyone who already owns TF2. It´s a nice attempt from some fellow swedes, but inferior to Valves giant.

I actually prefer Lead & Gold due to it's lack of medics and spies and some other things. That being said, I haven't really been able to play it much due to their problems.

Sanjay

zugzug said:
you guys talking about server browsers and such.....am I an idiot for never liking the way Team Fortress 2 was set up? I never heard complaints about it but man it sure seemed clunky to me. Not as bad as Dice/BF clunky but nowhere near as easy to maneuver or simple to use.

You're an idiot. Having said that, I can understand why people think this now days.

confused said:
Any russian-gaffer interested in a free copy of Just Cause 2 ? shoot me a pm

Hey comrade, I'm Russian. Now wheres my free copy of Just Cause 2.

I don't have many traditional server browser complaints. I think every game I've played has been at least tolerable about it.

My biggest complaint is L4D2 has no way of playing with friends unless you have a solid group of 4 or you don't mind waiting in your own lobby for an hour. It's dying for something like the (here it comes) Xbox matchmaking where you party up and then it just finds matching groups for you.

TrinityDivine said:
Burn Zombie Burn Coming to Steam in August
Jul 23, 2010 at 6:36 AM - TrinityDivine - 0 Comments

Playstation Network's zombie slaughter game, Burn Zombie Burn, is coming to Steam on August 5th, and the undead are up in arms. There's no word yet on how much it's going to cost but the PSN version is $9.99.

... the Brotherhood for the Restriction of Attacks, Ammunition And Injury of Necrotic Species (B.R.A.A.A.I.N.S.) (is renewing) its demands for an annual World Zombie Amnesty Day.

"For years, the undead have lived their second lives in fear that some overzealous gun nut would mow them down simply for being a little paler than most of the rest of humanity," said Romero A. Bubb, head spokesman for B.R.A.A.A.I.N.S. "The undead are not that different than any of you - they like to stroll through the streets, gather together with their friends and sometimes enjoy a brain or two - if the opportunity presents itself. However, the release of Burn Zombie Burn on Steam is a threat to ghouls everywhere, since it celebrates the destruction of the undead in all sorts of creative ways including bashing with baseball bats, chainsawing, lawnmowering... and don't even get me started about the Brain Gun! We're asking everyone living and dead alike to join us in protest of this gaming abomination when it's released on Steam."

Burn Zombie Burn! store page

Javaman

Sanjay said:
You're an idiot. Having said that, I can understand why people think this now days.

That's a little harsh.

zugzug, are you browsing with the big map thumbnails? If so check or uncheck the bottom left box to view the whole server list. From there you can filter or sort the servers anyway you like.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Javaman said:
That's a little harsh.
But he deserved it. Server browsers that function (Battlefield series is not in this category) are incredibly powerful tools that allow you find exactly what you want. Who gives a fuck if they are clunky, they are actually reliable in getting you into exactly the game you want to play.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Javaman said:
That's a little harsh.

I think Sanjay was just being playful, as zugzug rhetorically asked if he was an idiot for not liking the way TF2 is set up.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Ecco Jr.
Eternal Champions
Galaxy Force II
Kid Chameleon
Ristar
Sonic Spinball
Super Thunder Blade

Should be on Steam today for $2.99 each and there should be a bundle.

Minamu

Is it still possible to unlock most/all achievements in a game through commands in the console? I remember you could get away with it in L4D back in the day :S It sort of made Steam achievements even more worthless than their counterparts :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zugzug said:
you guys talking about server browsers and such.....am I an idiot for never liking the way Team Fortress 2 was set up? I never heard complaints about it but man it sure seemed clunky to me. Not as bad as Dice/BF clunky but nowhere near as easy to maneuver or simple to use.

What's wrong with it? You refresh a huge list of server. Sort them by latency, find a populated server with a game type you like and enter it. If you enjoyed your time on the server add it to your favorites list. After a few plays you will most likely have a decently large favorite list that you can just go straight to and join a game on a server you know will be good.

Is it really that difficult?

Nabs

morningbus said:
I think Sanjay was just being playful, as zugzug rhetorically asked if he was an idiot for not liking the way TF2 is set up.

Sanjay still can't get over that Curb episode.

John

TF2's server browser's actually been weird to me lately. Every time I open the game, my filters settings are undone and the tab is open.

Gowans

Guys I'm gona wipe my xp machine and put win 7 on this weekend.

I have a 30gb steam folder, can I just copy this to a backup hd then back to the win 7 install so I don't have to re download.

Any advice on how to do this and overcome any possible problems fellas???

Gowans007 said:

I have a 30gb steam folder, can I just copy this to a backup hd then back to the win 7 install so I don't have to re download.

That's pretty much what I did, when you launch steam for the first time on win7 it will auto update/switch to its win7 version, besides that you are good to go.

Gowans007 said:

Make sure to grab any saves you want to keep that might be in My Docs or somewhere else.

Gowans

cheers fellas.

So just copy the whole steam folder.
Format HD
Install Win 7
Copy Back Folder,
Install Steam?

I'll route around for rouge saves too.

Boonoo

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I don't have many traditional server browser complaints. I think every game I've played has been at least tolerable about it.

My biggest complaint is L4D2 has no way of playing with friends unless you have a solid group of 4 or you don't mind waiting in your own lobby for an hour. It's dying for something like the (here it comes) Xbox matchmaking where you party up and then it just finds matching groups for you.

Wait, didn't they do this? I know that I remember doing it for scavenger vs. I assume that it would be there for regular vs as well.

Gowans007 said:
cheers fellas.

Format HD
Install Win 7
Copy Back Folder,
Install Steam?

Make sure you check every possible version of the "my documents" folder. Some saves seem to go into the public version, and others seem to go into the version tied just to your windows account.

vazel

Banned
Boonoo said:
Wait, didn't they do this? I know that I remember doing it for scavenger vs. I assume that it would be there for regular vs as well.
Yea L4D2 does have team matchmaking for all competitive modes.

Gowans007 said:
cheers fellas.

Format HD
Install Win 7
Copy Back Folder,
Install Steam?

I install steam first and then replace the steamapps folder the new install creates. Better yet, just keep your steamapps folder on a separate dedicated drive, and create a directory junction using the command terminal and you'll never have to move your steam games ever again!

Billen said:
I actually prefer Lead & Gold due to it's lack of medics and spies and some other things. That being said, I haven't really been able to play it much due to their problems.
Yeah it's fun to just shoot shit up and not have to worry about a bunch of other bullshit. I don't get the comparisons, art style aside.

Gowans

TouchMyBox said:
I install steam first and then replace the steamapps folder the new install creates. Better yet, just keep your steamapps folder on a separate dedicated drive, and create a directory junction using the command terminal and you'll never have to move your steam games ever again!
Cheers man

Haeleos

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Team matchmaking is only for 4v4, from what I can tell. You can't just do it with 2 people.

I've wanted this for awhile too. Yelling "JOIN JOIN JOIN!" at my friend after I've finally found a game with two slots on the same team is pretty ridiculous.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
vocab said:
Hey, it's better than BC2 :lol It could use some serious work no doubt. I don't get why in the year 2010 Server Browsers are completely shitty. Copy and paste UT, Quake, or even CounterStrike's Server browser, and you got a good server browser.
Whats wrong with BC2's server browser?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
poppabk said:
Whats wrong with BC2's server browser?
It's improved, but it was typical Battlefield browser shit on release. I still can't stand BF2's. They make it so goddamn hard to get into an actual game that you see on the list.

Gowans

Well that was quicker and easier than expected to install Win7 64 on the desktop.

Copying over my Steam folder now, turns out it was 60gb+.

Anything good on Steam (demos etc.) to check out the new DX10 stuff? as I only had XP before.

Slavik81

zugzug said:
Hit 'start playing'. If its the first time you've played, set your filters to:
Ping <100
Has people currently playing
Is not full
Is not password protected

Then choose whatever server has the number of people you want, and is on the map you want. The settings will be saved, so you shouldn't ever have to do anything ever again, aside from hitting 'start playing' and picking the server with the map/player count you want from the list.

Gowans007 said:
Well that was quicker and easier than expected to install Win7 64 on the desktop.

Copying over my Steam folder now, turns out it was 60gb+.

Anything good on Steam (demos etc.) to check out the new DX10 stuff? as I only had XP before.

Just Cause 2, Shattered Horizon, and Metro 2033.

Gowans

crimsonheadGCN said:
Just Cause 2, Shattered Horizon, and Metro 2033.
I'm on it.

Odd everything's copied over and in my library but when I try to play Alien Swarm it says the game is currently unavailable and try again later???

Nabs

the new steam beta has added tabs in the browser, and chat window.

tabs251u7.jpg

Salsa

fuckin TABS

does this mean i can search through the shop while watching someones community profile ? then fuck yesssssssss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom