• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Did you just download Bully? I noticed Steam wouldn't stop my downloads if I played my game from the Download tab.

They might just stop downloads when you're playing a multiplayer game... I don't know.

Nabs said:
Did you just download Bully? I noticed Steam wouldn't stop my downloads if I played my game from the Download tab.

They might just stop downloads when you're playing a multiplayer game... I don't know.

Hmm, even with single player it never use to download in the background. I wonder if they're adding this as a feature? People have been wanting it for quite some time.

UrbanRats

Nabs said:

i downloaded it yes, but even with Red Faction Guerrilla(a game i dloaded a few days ago) it still keep dowloading.
Just like Loving Steam says, it's probably a new feature.
awesome.

deleted

Hey I bought KotoR a while back on steam and now want to play it.
I see that there a few Widescreen solutions available but that they are all against steam policy.
Is someone using these mods and is it safe to use on steam, or will my account be banned or something? I really want to play it in Widescreen mode, but I don´t want to risk all my games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
xyla said:
Hey I bought KotoR a while back on steam and now want to play it.
I see that there a few Widescreen solutions available but that they are all against steam policy.
Is someone using these mods and is it safe to use on steam, or will my account be banned or something? I really want to play it in Widescreen mode, but I don´t want to risk all my games.
I haven't heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for it though. I think Valve would be understanding and possibly even knows about the use of the crack exe being necessary to get widescreen in Kotor.

Stallion Free said:
I haven't heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for it though. I think Valve would be understanding and possibly even knows about the use of the crack exe being necessary to get widescreen in Kotor.

Can they even detect if you're using a cracked .exe?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
faceless007 said:
Probably not haha. I mean, the only way it would show up is if you verified the game cache and Steam would just over-write it with the the non-cracked one.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
faceless007 said:
Sure, a simple CRC would reveal this. CRCs happen constantly in Steam.

They don't detect cracks though. They have no agenda in that regard. And why would they?

I certainly hope using alternative exe files are not an issue. While I don't think it's a crack I've been using the script extender executable for Fallout 3 so I can play with mods. I'd imagine it is a non-issue though as others have said.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Well this is a new one. I'm accustomed to getting phishing links from random strangers, but not people on my friends list.

RzOXc.png

Is it possible he got hacked and is now trying to spread it around?

wmat said:
Sure, a simple CRC would reveal this. CRCs happen constantly in Steam.

They don't detect cracks though. They have no agenda in that regard. And why would they?
I should have clarified. Of course the Verify Cache feature would replace anything cracked with the original. The question is, does it also report back which files on a user's installation are different, which might be dangerous if someone has heavily modded their game?

For some of my games I've replaced the Steam .exe with a cracked one to avoid installing third-party copy protection. I can imagine Valve might want to find a way to curb that practice if they thought it was happening frequently.

faceless007 said:
I should have clarified. Of course the Verify Cache feature would replace anything cracked with the original. The question is, does it also report back which files on a user's installation are different, which might be dangerous if someone has heavily modded their game?

For some of my games I've replaced the Steam .exe with a cracked one to avoid installing third-party copy protection. I can imagine Valve might want to find a way to curb that practice if they thought it was happening frequently.

I'm pretty sure valve cares up to the point that you put in your credit card number and give them all your money.

Javaman

Twig said:
(so people actually fucking use them)

fmrty8.jpg

Archie said:
Well this is a new one. I'm accustomed to getting phishing links from random strangers, but not people on my friends list.

RzOXc.png

WTF 1up? He was playing late last night on the GAF server.

moojito

I've only recently started using steam on a regular basis due to my newfound love of tf2. I wish it had a download scheduler so I could make sure my peak time usage isn't being used up by massive counter strike updates and whatnot.

It's still a pretty nifty service. If it became the de facto pc gaming service like xbox's live and the ps3 whatever, then that would probably be a good thing.

chixdiggit

Nabs said:
the new steam beta has added tabs in the browser, and chat window.

tabs251u7.jpg

How are you getting that URL bar? My screen shows the URL but not in a field you can change. And yes I am opted into the beta.

Javaman

Twig said:
I just got back from the beach last night. Don't be jealous, I'll be back with you soon, love.

<swoons>

Archie said:
I checked some comments on his Steam profile and it looks like he got hacked this morning. That sucks.

That's just it, he was playing after 1am last night. Your message was from before that.

Archie said:

RzOXc.png

He got caught in a phishing scam. Now the scammer is trying to scam his friends list.

Don't enter your details.

I never knew 1up played on GAF, I know him from Penny Arcade.

Twig

Banned
chixdiggit said:
How are you getting that URL bar? My screen shows the URL but not in a field you can change. And yes I am opted into the beta.
in-game overlay, i assume

Javaman said:
That's just it, he was playing after 1am last night. Your message was from before that.
time zones, maybe U:

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
TouchMyBox said:
I'm pretty sure valve cares up to the point that you put in your credit card number and give them all your money.
And that is really all they're entitled to care about as far as I'm concerned.

SenorDingDong said:
I certainly hope using alternative exe files are not an issue. While I don't think it's a crack I've been using the script extender executable for Fallout 3 so I can play with mods. I'd imagine it is a non-issue though as others have said.

You're allowed to use the script extender but not alter the .exe as far as what Valve has said. It is listed as a reason for them to disable your account although I'm not sure they have done so. For VAC games like TF2, altering an .exe will most likely get you VAC banned.

Avyrocky

Banned
Will Assassins Creed 2 work offline if I buy it on Steam? Or does it need a constant internet connection even on Steam.

Damn DRM!!!

Slavik81

Wickerbasket said:
He got caught in a phishing scam. Now the scammer is trying to scam his friends list.

Don't enter your details.
Why would anyone want to phish your Steam account?
1. You're never going to be able to keep anything from the account.
2. If you're going to break the law, you can just pirate all the games anyways.

Kritz

Banned
MrMister said:
This is why I stopped buying all Ubisoft games released on and after Assassin's Creed II.

Same. I don't consider it a boycott... more along the lines of self-imposed quality control.

That goes along with my actual boycott of never buying any game on steam that's had its AU price increased arbitrarily. So no Mafia, Alpha Protocol, or any of 2k's bullshit. I realise how futile 'voting with your wallet' is, but at the very least it's saving me $80-90usd for every purchase I don't make.

Oreoleo

Slavik81 said:
Why would anyone want to phish your Steam account?
Because it is easy access to hundreds sometimes thousands of dollars of software? No offense but your comment is shocking to me. Steam account phishing is much more prevalent than you realize. I'm a member of a steam group that seems to post once every week or two about a new scam to watch out for.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kritz said:
Same. I don't consider it a boycott... more along the lines of self-imposed quality control.

That goes along with my actual boycott of never buying any game on steam that's had its AU price increased arbitrarily. So no Mafia, Alpha Protocol, or any of 2k's bullshit. I realise how futile 'voting with your wallet' is, but at the very least it's saving me $80-90usd for every purchase I don't make.

That's so insane. I really have no idea why some companies jack up their prices for Australia only. I can't imagine they are making more money somehow by charging you guys more than double. I bet most people simply just to don't buy their games when the competition is so much cheaper and, I assume at least, that their games aren't artificially high-priced in retail stores.

vanty

Zefah said:
That's so insane. I really have no idea why some companies jack up their prices for Australia only. I can't imagine they are making more money somehow by charging you guys more than double. I bet most people simply just to don't buy their games when the competition is so much cheaper and, I assume at least, that their games aren't artificially high-priced in retail stores.
You can often get PS360 games day one at retail for less than what these price-inflated Steam games cost. I doubt many people buy them at these prices anyway, especially after L4D2 taught everyone about the gift-me-I'll-paypal-you thing :lol

deleted

Stallion Free said:

Thanks, I took the risk and it looks so much better in 16:9 :D I would also think that valve wouldn´t ban a paying customer over such a thing, but you never know, stranger things have happened...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Valve need to fix the fucking installation and backup software they use. Its fucking broken and I hate it.

I've had issues before. Both FEAR 2 and Empire: Total War tried to download their entire game content from the internet during installation despite installing from a disk.

Now? Formatted with a new HDD over the weekend, made sure to back-up my Steam content, and during installation of the back-up Steam descides to ignore the ~20+ gig of files and instead download it all from the internet.

Put in an option, Valve. It cant be that fucking hard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Polk said:
Why don't you just copy entire steam folder? It works flawlessly.

Because I'm stupid and instead decided to use the backup software, that doesnt actually work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom