• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shaneus said:
How much was it during the summer sale? Anyone know if any DLC has been added since the sale was on?
It was 50% off during the summer sale as well. No new DLC has come out since, so if you bought everything during the summer sale, there is nothing for you here and you didn't waste any money.

RedSwirl

I was broke during the summer sale (and apparently thought JC2 was $30 or something). Now I'm not really all that broke and am seriously looking at this. Don't are about the DLC though.

Get it all. JC 2 is a beautiful game that is a blast to play. The story sucks, but hey, it's supposed to and it takes itself very lightly. There are a ton of places to explore and things to do, but the one thing I will say is get bolopatch to give yourself infinite ammo. The game is still a challenge, but then you can focus more on the fun than the grind.

On the con side, I will say that after about 30 hours of play it all sort of starts to feel the same, but those first 30 hours make it more than worth it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finally! I was waiting for that JC2 deal.

Only two games left that I will get this year are Puzzle Quest 2 and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

oatmeal

Banned
Well this is stupid.

I was playing Portal yesterday (Mac) and almost beat it...now I'm trying to boot Steam and it keeps giving me errors. I can't boot it, just crashes.

Anyone have this happen? I rebooted, and I deleted Steam and re-installed...no dice.

anyone know a solution? Their support center is kind of useless.

Plasma

Banned
oatmeal said:
Well this is stupid.

I was playing Portal yesterday (Mac) and almost beat it...now I'm trying to boot Steam and it keeps giving me errors. I can't boot it, just crashes.

Anyone have this happen? I rebooted, and I deleted Steam and re-installed...no dice.

Have you tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob in the main steam folder and then run it?

oatmeal

Banned
Google helps...

Found it, deleted it...I got further this time. It asked me for my log in...

But then I get this:

3d0e1d2c71a748817fb2778924fea4ce.jpg

I had the crashing issue and had to delete the clientregistry also. The first boot after deleting it loaded partially then crashed again, but on the 2nd boot it loaded fully and worked. I'd suggest just trying to boot again (I am on Windows though, so not sure if it's the same issue).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
oatmeal said:
Well this is stupid.

Everytime Steam gives me issues I delete clientregistry.blob in the install folder, dunno if it deletes that file when you reinstall or not, try it out.

Edit: Holy shit am I late to the tech support party :D

Does the bolo patch work with Steam? Will it disable my achievements? Will infinite ammo make normal difficulty fair? How do you find health packs?

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Did anyone grab Cryostasis from the Nvidia store a few weeks ago when it was a free promo? I'm playing my copy from the N-store but I think Securom is borked for some reason because it won't let me past one of the pipes in forest where the ice is supposed to break to let you through. If it can't be fixed does steam support performance mods since the game runs like crap on my machine.

Blizzard

Banned
In TF2 recently, someone was playing some cool music from a game called Neverhood. After looking around a little, I didn't happen across any non-sketchy source selling a digital version of either Neverhood or Grim Fandango, which I should also probably try at some point if it runs on modern machines.

Are there any rumors of Steam (or GoG etc.) getting these games, or is there any reasonable way to buy them aside from paying $30-75 on Amazon? (I didn't check eBay so far but I'd be afraid of pirated versions or something there)

Has anyone been able to get the Kane & Lynch 2 demo to work? It constantly crashes on me on the initial load. I verified the integrity of my local files and an extra 200+mb were downloaded but the end result is the same, crashes every time it buffers up to 39%.

I'm rocking a i7 Quad Core 2.8GHz, 6GB of RAM and an Nividia GeForce GTX 480, so hardware shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: I'm running 64bit Windows 7 as well.

Edit 2: Navigated to the .exe in my Steam folder, ran as administrator, no dice.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Blizzard said:
In TF2 recently, someone was playing some cool music from a game called Neverhood. After looking around a little, I didn't happen across any non-sketchy source selling a digital version of either Neverhood or Grim Fandango, which I should also probably try at some point if it runs on modern machines.

Are there any rumors of Steam (or GoG etc.) getting these games, or is there any reasonable way to buy them aside from paying $30-75 on Amazon? (I didn't check eBay so far but I'd be afraid of pirated versions or something there)
No sign of it coming to GoG or Steam. The franchise has been dead for a really long time.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Remember, we only need one kidney to live. I think.
I only played Neverhood on the PC. Can't vouch for the sequel but the first game is pretty solid though the art direction really pulls most of the weight.

Mr_Zombie

Blizzard said:
or Grim Fandango, which I should also probably try at some point if it runs on modern machines.

It runs fine, at least on a 2005 PC with WinXP, haven't tried it yet on a Win7; I just needed to use a CPU hogging program to slow the game down at one point (the conveyor belt "puzzle" near the end of the game), because otherwise the game runs too fast at that moment.

jaundicejuice said:
Has anyone been able to get the Kane & Lynch 2 demo to work? It constantly crashes on me on the initial load. I verified the integrity of my local files and an extra 200+mb were downloaded but the end result is the same, crashes every time it buffers up to 39%.

I'm rocking a i7 Quad Core 2.8GHz, 6GB of RAM and an Nividia GeForce GTX 480, so hardware shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: I'm running 64bit Windows 7 as well.

Edit 2: Navigated to the .exe in my Steam folder, ran as administrator, no dice.
Ran without a problem on Win7 64 (so that shouldn't be the problem), AMD quad core and a 5850 here.

Shaneus

It's two or three cans of soda for the whole thing when half price. Either you can increase your blood sugar levels, pushing yourself closer and closer to an early grave or you can blow shit up virtually in new and more creative ways. Your choice.

Phife Dawg said:
Ran without a problem on Win7 64 (so that shouldn't be the problem), AMD quad core and a 5850 here.

Well I'm not the only person experiencing this issue, there's a sizable thread on the Kane & Lynch Steam forum with people who have the exact same problem with the demo.

Shaneus

Wildly going against the grain here, but I'm really enjoying playing JC2 without any mods at all. Unless there are some that make it look better (or run better) then I won't be touching anything. Cutting it close with ammo until you detach a Gatling gun and start blowing 'copters out of the sky is an amazing feeling.

*Are* there mods that just update/improve graphics and nothing else?

jaundicejuice said:
Well I'm not the only person experiencing this issue, there's a sizable thread on the Kane & Lynch Steam forum with people who have the exact same problem with the demo.
I'm not questioning your problems, simply answering your question about people who have been able to install and run the demo.

Maybe try different drivers, fiddle around with the settings?

Shaneus said:
Wildly going against the grain here, but I'm really enjoying playing JC2 without any mods at all. Unless there are some that make it look better (or run better) then I won't be touching anything. Cutting it close with ammo until you detach a Gatling gun and start blowing 'copters out of the sky is an amazing feeling.

*Are* there mods that just update/improve graphics and nothing else?
Same here, unlike other similar games the gunplay is actually quite fun imo.

Sullen

Is it possible to activate or make steam recognize the non steam version of a game that is available in steam? Kind of confusing, but my example is: I bought a disc copy of Transformers war for cybertron, and I'm curious if there is a way to make steam recognize this as more than a 'non steam game', since the game is in fact available on steam, even though I didn't buy the steam version.

panda21

i was just listening to the giantbomb carcast and fuck yeah they should totally bring back DOS. imagine if you could just run steam in a text console and then boot your games and they would load up direct X and go all graphical, no windows involved.

god i hope they do that in steam for linux

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone else having Steam lockup and crash, every time you try to delete a game?

I need some space on my HDD, and this is annoying.

Volcynika

It's amusing to cycle with the hacker, though I hope he gets his acct back

DaFish: ---
OMG OMG WTF? HAHAHAHA
Volcynika: da fish hacked
Volcynika: also
Volcynika: you're a nub
DaFish: ?
Volcynika: sending links to a fake steam community site
DaFish: its my new group
DaFish: im trying to make people join
Volcynika: yeah, seems like a fake group because the real steam community site is updated. that site is an old layout
Volcynika: failure
DaFish: --
OMG OMG WTF? HAHAHAHA
Volcynika: ERROR ERROR ROBOT AM FAILURE
Volcynika: FIX IT WITH A WRENCH
Volcynika: (you're still a nub)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom