• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
phish977p.png

That's where the IP goes back to, in Portugal. Unfortunately...

DaFish: nice try getting a whois ;)
DaFish: VPN ;)

If he's doing a VPN through a non-proxy DSL line in a residence in Portugal then oh well on tracing him. :(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Too many people are getting hacked. :( Is Vale taking any measures against phishing? Can they even do anything?

Volcynika

Archie said:
Too many people are getting hacked. :( Is Vale taking any measures against phishing? Can they even do anything?

They can't stop people from being fooled and acting on their own. Boonoo was only saved because he put in info from a different site. Valve says don't tell your password to ANYONE whenever a message box opens and some people still do that.

vazel

Banned
They should not allow links in the chat window. Or at the very least not make it clickable so you have to copy and paste it.

Oreoleo

Luckily the process to getting access to your account back is pretty painless, aside from having to wait a few days. Just hope he doesn't get you VAC banned ;)
vazel said:
They should not allow links in the chat window. Or at the very least not make it clickable so you have to copy and paste it.

There is a warning window that pops up when you click a link in chat so shit like this doesn't happen. Or at least so it will happen less.

x3sphere

Well, any service is vulnerable against phishing. There's not much they can do really. I believe a warning message pops up when you click links.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
vazel said:
They have that pop-up warning which is good enough. You can see the actual url before deciding to actually go to the site.

Anyway, good to get the word out. Now he's branded in the community.

Blizzard

Banned
Unfortunately he's apparently using a remote administration tool through the guy in Portugal if he's telling the truth. :(

DaFish: no
DaFish: the RAT is from a London guy
DaFish: the hoster sv where the phisher is
DaFish: is from Lisbon

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
Unfortunately he's apparently using a remote administration tool through the guy in Portugal if he's telling the truth. :(

What difference does it make really? Even if you were able to pin down where this guy is, getting some sort of retribution or bringing charges against him would probably be just as hard.

DaFish will give Valve his CC number and he'll have his account back by the end of the week.

Volcynika

Orellio said:
What difference does it make really? Even if you were able to pin down where this guy is, getting some sort of retribution or bringing charges against him would probably be just as hard.

DaFish will give Valve his CC number and he'll have his account back by the end of the week.

Though it would kinda suck if he saved his CC info on his account. Though if the phisher changed his PW, I think it removes it...but I'm not sure.

Blizzard

Banned
Orellio said:

Yeah, but it was fun to do even though it was useless. He's in a country where college is not called college, so presumably a university in Europe or South America. And he plays DOTA. :lol Do you think it was bad that I played around with the guy?

Also, if you have your Steam account's email registered they can't change your password unless they hack your email as well.

Blizzard

Banned
DaFish said:
FUUUUCK

can I call Valve?
Make a support account, and make a support request. You're lucky and it's early in the week so they might be able to fix it. The guy just logged off. Make sure you register your email to your account when you get it back, and if you already had it registered, then CHANGE YOUR EMAIL PASSWORD as soon as possible.

DaFish

now to play the waiting game... :( I really don't want to have to cancel my Debit/Credit cards over this shit

Sorry guys, dont click that dumb ass link

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DaFish said:
now to play the waiting game... :( I really don't want to have to cancel my Debit/Credit cards over this shit

How did he get you?

Sanjay

DaFish said:

But you can't really see your details like it censors out the card numbers and only shows the last 4.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
UrbanRats said:
1) buy Just Cause 2.

2) go HERE.

3) download and easily install THIS mod.

4) enjoy your new Superman game.
How do you make it work with thrusters? I have to buy from from the black market but then when I switch to them the parachute starts appearing again.

Bolopatch also errors with the new JC2 version. Lame.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sanjay said:
But you can't really see your details like it censors out the card numbers and only shows the last 4.
Yeah there should be no way to retrieve the credit card number from steam - just purchase steam stuff with it.

DaFish

Sanjay said:

poppabk said:
Yeah there should be no way to retrieve the credit card number from steam - just purchase steam stuff with it.

I guess you guys are right... I just hope he buys some good shit that I will actually play :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam really needs to make a setting for blocking all messages from non-friends instead of having to click the reject on the pop-up window every time. If you aren't on my friends list and you are trying to message me, chances are your account was hijacked so I still have no desire to even have the message attempt even being brought to my attention.

FoxSpirit

Sanjay said:
Dafish account got hacked so don't sign into your account from his link.

11rx3q9.png

Why would I EVER sign into Steam from something other than the official interface?

Blizzard said:
*image*
That's where the IP goes back to, in Portugal. Unfortunately...

If he's doing a VPN through a non-proxy DSL line in a residence in Portugal then oh well on tracing him. :(

If there was a warrant put out for that, the ISP could still uncover the real source. Unfortunately, the law is still way behind on cyber crimes.

Borderlands will be getting a Steamworks update, at least for those who bought the title on Steam. It currently has Achievements showing on the Library page.

clickable url's should be disabled by default and then only if you dig deep into steam can you turn it on, would stop a lot of people clicking it, or have it to unless it shows the real steam url it's in a red colour with a huge warning about branching outside of steam, maybe.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
crimsonheadGCN said:
Borderlands will be getting a Steamworks update, at least for those who bought the title on Steam. It currently has Achievements showing on the Library page.

Interesting. I wonder if they'll use Steamworks as the DRM too and dump Securom.

Weenerz

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:

Excellent, three of my most favoritiest things in the whole world. Steam, Borderlands and achievements.

nexen

Hmm.. I might bite on Alien Breed. I liked the controls of Alien Swarm a *lot* better but it was so multiplayer centric and online was a complete lag-fest for me. The graphics in Alien Breed are far better as well.

Team 17 really should have done a 75% sale in the face of an extremely similar game releasing for free though.

Mrbob

crimsonheadGCN said:

Very nice! I'd love it if gamespy got replaced by steam for online matchmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom