• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFish

Okay so, valve has reset my password and I should be able to login... Dont think they purchased anything either phew.

Thanks for the help fellas

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Talyn said:
http://i35.tinypic.com/ae5sg3.jpg[IMG]

Alien Breed, victim of the worst timing ever? :lol[/QUOTE]

that sucks.

I mean Valve must've known that game was coming out, right? seems like a dick move on their part if I'm honest

DaFish said:
FUUUUCK

can I call Valve?

You fucking broke my heart last night when I saw a scammer send me a phishing link through your account.

I WAS EXTREMELY INTOXICATED TOO AND ALMOST DIDN'T NOTICE THE URL BEFORE CLICKING THE LINK!

:(

Get your shit back soon, :)

Edit: yay!

DaFish

TouchMyBox said:
You fucking broke my heart last night when I saw a scammer send me a phishing link through your account.

I WAS EXTREMELY INTOXICATED TOO AND ALMOST DIDN'T NOTICE THE URL BEFORE CLICKING THE LINK!

:(

Get your shit back soon, :)

Edit: yay!

Should be back up tonight... up for some SCII?

or you gonna play with that noob RogerWilco :)

Bethesda Pack was added to the store for $69.99. Includes 3 items: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition, Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition Deluxe

UrbanRats

crimsonheadGCN said:
Bethesda Pack was added to the store for $69.99. Includes 3 items: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition, Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition Deluxe
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS I was soooo waiting for this!
Now let's hope they drop the price..
a question: is the steam morrowind moddable?

LovingSteam said:
CYAN Worlds games are going up. As of now RealMyst and RIVEN are up.
Tempted to get RealMyst since I never played that version. RIVEN was the one I enjoyed best although I never played Myst IV and V.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I enjoyed all Mysts and their derivatives on PC! Some of the best puzzling sessions I ever had, actually. Love it.

Dizzy-4U said:
Steam noob question: Are there unmoddable games on steam?. I thought all games were the same as retail version :(

Nope, if you can mod the retail you can mod the Steam version. That goes for all Bethesda games as well.

Zozobra

Speaking of mods, I asked in the Titan Quest OT but didn't receive a response - Is there a mod or something that I can use on the Steam version of TQ that will allow me to change the difficulty without having to beat the game first? I see that there are mods that let you do that sort of thing, but none that I have found seem to work with the Steam version of the game.

Dizzy-4U

LovingSteam said:
Nope, if you can mod the retail you can mod the Steam version. That goes for all Bethesda games as well.
Ah ok. I bought a bunch of games without having a pc to play it yet, so I was freaking out.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Oh wow I didn't even know Myst was available on steam, or that it was even updated in 3D (which is funny because apparently it's been out for a decade).

Definitely going to check this out, I played the hell out of the hypercard version on a Mac back in '94 or so.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Alien Breed actually came out about a month or two before Swarm. I would guess that their sales #s have dropped off a cliff in the last couple weeks, though.

The developers within Valve who were responsible for Alien Swarm even said that the game was already finished back in April/May, but Valve delayed the release because of Alien Breed.

crimsonheadGCN said:
The developers within Valve who were responsible for Alien Swarm even said that the game was already finished back in April/May, but Valve delayed the release because of Alien Breed.

And yet some folks say Steam is bad for small developers? LOL.

dLMN8R

Pleeeeasseeeeee change Borderlands to use Steamworks matchmaking with Steam friends and all instead of Gamespy.

Please?

What's the point in releasing this update if it's just achievements? It would make more sense that they're going the route of Unreal Tournament 3, enabling all copies, even those sold at retail, to activate on Steam.

The problem with enabling all copies of Borderlands with Steamworks support is that the retail copies supposedly did not have CD keys. Valve would need to work around that. Maybe they could do the samething they did with those NBA 2k9 titles that did not ship with CD keys and code Steam to just accept a CD in the drive as proof of purchase.

dLMN8R

crimsonheadGCN said:
The problem with enabling all copies of Borderlands with Steamworks support is that the retail copies supposedly did not have CD keys. Valve would need to work around that. Maybe they could do the samething they did with those NBA 2k9 titles that did not ship with CD keys and code Steam to just accept a CD in the drive as proof of purchase.
Really? Retail copies of borderlands didn't need a CD Key? How did they tie unique copies to Gamespy accounts then?

LovingSteam said:
CYAN Worlds games are going up. As of now RealMyst and RIVEN are up.

FUCK YEAH

Notice: Riven: The Sequel to MYST is not compatible with Windows XP.

WTF?

Now I'm intrigued. I actually have the Myst Trilogy on DVD but Riven is a bitch to get working on modern systems (Quicktime incompatibilites). I wonder how they updated the game such that now you need Vista/7.

Bam !

Borderlands Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Borderlands have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:
- Added support for Logitech LCD screens on the G13 gameboard and G15/G19 keyboards
- Added Steam achievements

Edit - Downloading update now, 312.6 MB apparently.

TheExodu5

Banned
Myst and Riven are two of the greatest adventure games ever made. The puzzles are mindblowing.

I'm real disappointed they don't have Myst IV up. Seemed like a great game as well.

Just loaded up my character, all achievements i had gotten previously unlocked :D 27/70 unlocked :lol

Other than that, think thats the only difference, no apparent steam cloud integration :(

Edit - Achievements like "Discovered such n such place" havent unlocked, but i guess just fast travelling to them all would do the trick :) Then theres a few others like reviving someone in co-op.

Edit 2 - According to Gearbox programmer "Parnic"

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=2023004&postcount=5

Many of the game's achievements are awarded retroactively, but not all. We will hopefully have a list to post soon to explain which ones are and which ones aren't. In total, there are ~42 that can unlock as soon as you load up a character.

If anyone wants the "And They'll Tell Two Friends" achievement, I'll be handing it out tonight in random games, so be sure to play online!

nexen

Ogs said:
Just loaded up my character, all achievements i had gotten previously unlocked :D 27/70 unlocked :lol

Other than that, think thats the only difference, no apparent steam cloud integration :(
Steam cloud support on Borderlands would've been awesome. It's perfect for that type of game.

TheExodu5 said:
Myst and Riven are two of the greatest adventure games ever made. The puzzles are mindblowing.

I'm real disappointed they don't have Myst IV up. Seemed like a great game as well.

Publishing rights are probably still owned by Ubisoft. Why they don't have it up, I don't know.

Bought Alien Breed two pack. 11 bucks, why not. Game is pretty bad ass though Swarm has better controls (they're pretty similar though it's not as fluid because of the camera turning "drag"). So far there's been a shit load of objectives, and even though I *love* objectives in my shooters there might be a tad too many. Do they thin out over the course of the game?

Gonna try co-op later hopefully. Not expecting Alien Swarm level of awesomeness though it should be mindless fun.

So far the game is like Dead Space + Alien Swarm. If you're a fan of AS and can spare 7 bucks, definitely check it out.

Also can't wait to check out the achievements for Borderlands.

Ogs said:

Edit - Achievements like "Discovered such n such place" havent unlocked, but i guess just fast travelling to them all would do the trick :) Then theres a few others like reviving someone in co-op.

Edit 2 - According to Gearbox programmer "Parnic"

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=2023004&postcount=5

Ahh, good to know. I have 21/70 unlocked.

John

Well neat, I was finally able to play an online game of Borderlands today and beat Mad Mel. Then it crashed five minutes later. But, achievements!

crimsonheadGCN said:
Borderlands will be getting a Steamworks update, at least for those who bought the title on Steam. It currently has Achievements showing on the Library page.
Nice. between that and the that Borderlands .ini editor, perhaps I'll play it finally.

Cyan Complete, awesome

> Missing Myst III, IV and V

Not so awesome. I almost think why bother if they have licensing problems with the remaining games.

Haha it felt glorious getting so many achievements at once. :lol

I don't have any of the dlc; which ones (if any) of the achievements are dlc only?

Visualante said:
Cyan Complete, awesome

Not so awesome. I almost think why bother if they have licensing problems with the remaining games.

Eh, I'd much rather them put up what they have now. $20 for all of those games is a good deal IMO.

Remy

If Borderlands get Steam Cloud support I will kiss someone. Would love to have my characters centrally stored.

As for the recent compromises: I also got a chat request from dionysus today, which is funny because he's not on my friends list. Steam helpfully told me that we share a GAF group in common (specifically M:TG). Since the hackers are now opting to start routing through Steam groups to find more targets, can I ask that fellow GAFfers who admin Steam Groups politely kick out anyone who gets hacked until they get their accounts back? Because this shit is getting dumb.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Visualante said:
Cyan Complete, awesome

I don't think Cyan developed any of those MYST games.

Blizzard

Banned
You know, something I didn't think about until today...what do people use stolen Steam accounts for? Do they just steal them to try to get email passwords etc.? If they buy games on the account, obviously they'll just lose them when Valve reclaims it.

In this particular case, obviously lots of people are being hacked. If the phisher was telling the truth, he was using a remote access tool hosted by some guy in London (maaaaybe, if so, I had a really lucky guess) through a host machine in Portugal (thus the IP address) to log into people's Steam accounts and browse the web etc.

Now, the guy said he didn't have any time to play games. He said he only plays DotA a bit. He's in a country where classes "aren't called like that" which either means they're not called "college" or he doesn't know that DSP = digital signal processing. He said stuff like "u so stupid" or whatever, but overall seemed to have a good grasp of the English language. Struck me as being teenage/20s. He said it was nice to talk to someone for a change who wasn't just all OMG OMG UR TRYING TO HAX MY ACCOUNT.

So, some young guy in say, Europe is using some system to get lots of Steam passwords, and not play games on them. Is there some market for buying Steam passwords or super-temporary accounts? Do people just do this for fun? Surely there has to be some motivation behind it.

Fredescu

AusGAF had a bit of a CS:S night a few weeks back and towards the end a bot joined who would pretty much insta headshot everyone and then post some URL like valvecheats.com or something to chat. Perhaps people are using stolen accounts to spam advertising to dodgy shit? I don't play enough CS:S to know how widespread this is, but people do the same thing with stolen WoW accounts.

DaFish

Blizzard said:
You know, something I didn't think about until today...what do people use stolen Steam accounts for? Do they just steal them to try to get email passwords etc.? If they buy games on the account, obviously they'll just lose them when Valve reclaims it.

In this particular case, obviously lots of people are being hacked. If the phisher was telling the truth, he was using a remote access tool hosted by some guy in London (maaaaybe, if so, I had a really lucky guess) through a host machine in Portugal (thus the IP address) to log into people's Steam accounts and browse the web etc.

Now, the guy said he didn't have any time to play games. He said he only plays DotA a bit. He's in a country where classes "aren't called like that" which either means they're not called "college" or he doesn't know that DSP = digital signal processing. He said stuff like "u so stupid" or whatever, but overall seemed to have a good grasp of the English language. Struck me as being teenage/20s. He said it was nice to talk to someone for a change who wasn't just all OMG OMG UR TRYING TO HAX MY ACCOUNT.

So, some young guy in say, Europe is using some system to get lots of Steam passwords, and not play games on them. Is there some market for buying Steam passwords or super-temporary accounts? Do people just do this for fun? Surely there has to be some motivation behind it.

Beats me... I'm taking it as a lesson learned, Thanks Haxorz Dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom