• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are most likely trying to get accounts in order to then sell them real quick. Obviously they don't care if Valve locks the account or returns it back to the original owner since that person will have already made their $$$.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
They are most likely trying to get accounts in order to then sell them real quick. Obviously they don't care if Valve locks the account or returns it back to the original owner since that person will have already made their $$$.
I didn't think about the advertising thing, but I would think most people would know by now not to buy accounts unless they're gonna permanently play offline, since they're both illegal to sell and they get reverted quickly when reported.. *shrug* I'd assume it would be easier to pirate than try to use a "legitimate" Steam account to download games.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Blizzard said:
You know, something I didn't think about until today...what do people use stolen Steam accounts for? Do they just steal them to try to get email passwords etc.? If they buy games on the account, obviously they'll just lose them when Valve reclaims it.

In this particular case, obviously lots of people are being hacked. If the phisher was telling the truth, he was using a remote access tool hosted by some guy in London (maaaaybe, if so, I had a really lucky guess) through a host machine in Portugal (thus the IP address) to log into people's Steam accounts and browse the web etc.

Now, the guy said he didn't have any time to play games. He said he only plays DotA a bit. He's in a country where classes "aren't called like that" which either means they're not called "college" or he doesn't know that DSP = digital signal processing. He said stuff like "u so stupid" or whatever, but overall seemed to have a good grasp of the English language. Struck me as being teenage/20s. He said it was nice to talk to someone for a change who wasn't just all OMG OMG UR TRYING TO HAX MY ACCOUNT.

So, some young guy in say, Europe is using some system to get lots of Steam passwords, and not play games on them. Is there some market for buying Steam passwords or super-temporary accounts? Do people just do this for fun? Surely there has to be some motivation behind it.
Could be a numbers game. If you have enough accounts, eventually, you can social-engineer friend data because you're sort of in the friends bubble. Never heard of that though.
Maybe you can also do something with the CC data if it's saved.

Maybe it's also some kind of scam. Like someone else posted, sell the account to some guy who can't know better.

And the more accounts you have, the more legit keys you have. You can also sell those.

Could also be a DDoS attack scheme — hack accounts, download as much as you can on different machines until the accounts are banned, servers crumble.

But some people do things like this because it's simply possible. Maybe some 16-year-olds who compare the numbers of hacked Steam accounts.

Edit: Another one: Pressure the original account owner. "10 bucks and you get your account back!" Also never heard of that, but it's another possibility. If the price is low enough, it could work out.

Regarding stolen Steam accounts, just make sure you verify your email address attached to your Steam account, keep your profiles closed to only those on your friends list, have a very VERY strong password (mine is between 16-25 digits), and don't log into any site except the actual Steam login program on your PC. If you do all of that you should never have to worry about losing your account.

Therion

Zozobra said:
Speaking of mods, I asked in the Titan Quest OT but didn't receive a response - Is there a mod or something that I can use on the Steam version of TQ that will allow me to change the difficulty without having to beat the game first? I see that there are mods that let you do that sort of thing, but none that I have found seem to work with the Steam version of the game.
I believe TQ Defiler will do that for you (along with many other optional things). The program definitely works with the Steam version.

Daigoro

Remy said:
If Borderlands get Steam Cloud support I will kiss someone. Would love to have my characters centrally stored.

As for the recent compromises: I also got a chat request from dionysus today, which is funny because he's not on my friends list. Steam helpfully told me that we share a GAF group in common (specifically M:TG). Since the hackers are now opting to start routing through Steam groups to find more targets, can I ask that fellow GAFfers who admin Steam Groups politely kick out anyone who gets hacked until they get their accounts back? Because this shit is getting dumb.

i got a message from him as well, but didnt actually see the content because i was logging off. i left a message on his profile but he didnt get back to me.

did the message say anything?

i havent talked to the guy in a million years so id have to assume he's been hacked somehow as well. (luckily ive been keeping up to date on the news so i woudlnt have clicked any links i was sent)

Trouble

Banned
Logged in to Borderlands to get achievements I've already earned and got 15. Made me realize I really didn't get very far in that game and I need to spend some more time in it. Steam sales are killing me. Backlog is out of control.

Stallion Free said:
Jesus, they ask you if you want to open the page when you click a link. It blows my mind that people get their accounts hacked that way.
Pretty much. And honestly setting your profile to be accessible to friends only helps a lot. I have quite a few games on my account and have never received a fishing attempt. When it comes to links my friends send me, if it is ever a Steam login one I would simply close it and remove them from my list. It really isn't difficult.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
Pretty much. And honestly setting your profile to be accessible to friends only helps a lot. I have quite a few games on my account and have never received a fishing attempt. When it comes to links my friends send me, if it is ever a Steam login one I would simply close it and remove them from my list. It really isn't difficult.
90% of the time I get messaged a link by a buddy I'm also in Mumble (voice chat program) with them.

Zozobra

Therion said:
I believe TQ Defiler will do that for you (along with many other optional things). The program definitely works with the Steam version.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the response!

Is there a way to keep downloading a game when playing another one?

I'm not even playing online, yet my download keeps pausing when playing a game, it's annoying! :mad:

poweld

lastplayed said:
Is there a way to keep downloading a game when playing another one?

I'm not even playing online, yet my download keeps pausing when playing a game, it's annoying! :mad:
I believe the only way to do this is to start the game, minimize it, pause/unpause the download, then bring the game back up.

I'll never quite understand the logic behind this (aside from multiplayer games requiring bandwidth, but c'mon Valve, at least let us decide)

vid

Just throwing in a couple of things regarding the Cyan releases...

1. Riven is the original DVD release of the game, meaning the videos are of a higher quality and there's a few extra screens here and there that simply wouldn't fit on the original five disc set. Take note, the Riven DVD that UbiSoft released as part of their "10th Anniversary Collection" back in 2003 does NOT contain any of this extra content, and is in fact just the original release on one disc.

2. In regards to Uru: Complete Chronicles... not a single screenshot on Steam is actually from that version of the game. Almost every image shows locations from the original beta testing period for Uru Live, and as such the areas and avatars look a little different than the product that you're buying.

I'm a little disappointed that the vanilla version of Myst isn't available, but I'm glad to see realMYST. It's been rare and out of print for years, and stupid me gave away my copy to a girl several years ago. I also hope that they eventually add Myst V to Steam as well, since it's the only missing title that Cyan actually developed. I'd also like to see Myst III, but I can't see that happening, given the bad blood between Cyan and UbiSoft at this point.

Screw Myst IV, though, that game was trash.

epmode

vid said:
I'm a little disappointed that the vanilla version of Myst isn't available, but I'm glad to see realMYST. It's been rare and out of print for years
RealMyst has been available on GOG.com for months.

vid

Yeah, I know. I almost bought it on Day 1, but decided to hold out and see if the set was going to show up on Steam or not. I'd been hearing rumblings for a while, but no one could confirm anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vanilla Myst is not really playable anymore. The original is so low-res that there's basically no way to play it and have it not look like shit on a modern display, and Masterpiece Edition isn't really all that much better.

bestami

Has anyone played this Alter Ego game ? I haven't seen or heard anything about this game. The steam page information makes the game intriguing to me but 30$ is a little bit steep to impulse buy this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stumpokapow said:
Vanilla Myst is not really playable anymore. The original is so low-res that there's basically no way to play it and have it not look like shit on a modern display, and Masterpiece Edition isn't really all that much better.
the fmvs are timeless tho

John

Who needs backstory? Who needs resource-gathering? Diplomacy is so last year. Gratuitous Space Battles cuts right to the chase of sci-fi strategy games, and deals with large, completely unjustified space battles between huge opposing space fleets.

Story and stockpiling are my favorite parts of games. :( Not for me.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Bad Company 2 and Mass Effect 2 price dropped to $29.99. Hopefully we get some 50% off deals on them in the near future.

vid said:
Just throwing in a couple of things regarding the Cyan releases...

1. Riven is the original DVD release of the game, meaning the videos are of a higher quality and there's a few extra screens here and there that simply wouldn't fit on the original five disc set. Take note, the Riven DVD that UbiSoft released as part of their "10th Anniversary Collection" back in 2003 does NOT contain any of this extra content, and is in fact just the original release on one disc.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea why it now requires Vista/7?

I'd also like to see Myst III, but I can't see that happening, given the bad blood between Cyan and UbiSoft at this point.
Do you have any more info on this? Is it due to the mishandling of Uru?

ksimm

Gratuitous Space Battles Collector's Edition is mine!
Best of all the Mac client is out Monday according to the developers forum.

I forgot my password to my early days of Steam account and my secret question answer isn't working :lol

Ah well, don't think my old account had anything on it since I hadn't used it in maybe several years

"steam is having trouble connecting to the steam servers"

Is that my end or their end?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Though I got the Impulse version for $10 a while ago, GSB for $6.50 is a steal. It's an awesome game.

It gets regular support. You should be able to get the game off Steam as well, as the creator (it's a single-person game) does not like DRM at all. I believe like Mount and Blade the Steam serial will work as a direct download from the guy's site.

It's a 100% pure Strategy game. The only bad point about the game to me is its reliance on unlocks.

I think my router is messing up my ability to connect to Steam, and the port forwards I just did don't seem to be working

*slams head against wall*

Help?

Wow,

Connected the laptop directly to the modem and it worked
Cycled the power on the router and now it works wirelessly.........*shrug*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, I went on Good Old Games and I was really really surprised by the number of games on that service that are published by publishers who otherwise seem to have no problem with Steam, but aren't on Steam.

Just looking only at the 5 star games on GoG:

Blood - Atari, not on Steam
Fallout - Interplay, more expensive on Steam
Fallout 2 - Interplay, more expensive on Steam
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - Activision, not on Steam
Heroes of Might and Magic® 2: Gold Edition - Ubisoft, not on Steam
Heroes of Might and Magic® 3: Complete Edition - Ubisoft, not on Steam
Master of Magic - Atari, not on Steam
Master of Orion 1+2 - Atari, not on Steam
Outcast - Atari, not on Steam
Psychonauts - Majesco, on Steam, same price
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive - Independently owned by developed, not on Steam

The 4+ star games have a similar ratio. I know Myst and Riven have been on GOG for a long time.

So is this a case of GOG signing exclusivity deals for some of these games, or is it a case of Valve being lacklustre at pursuing classic games? It's just inexplicable that the big guy, who is #1 with a bullet, is missing out on some of this stuff.

Weenerz

Banned
Has Valve mentioned doing a 4 pack for Medal of Honor when it comes out? And buying MoH on steam will still net us beta access to BF3? Or will I have to go to a retail outlet for it.

Weenerz said:
Has Valve mentioned doing a 4 pack for Medal of Honor when it comes out? And buying MoH on steam will still net us beta access to BF3? Or will I have to go to a retail outlet for it.

It's up to EA whether a four pack will be available or not. EA will probably do the same thing that they did with Bad Company 2. Wait a month and then have a four pack available for a limited time period.

Beta access to Battlefield 3 will most likely be handled the same as MOH beta. Those who preorder it on Steam will get the beta added to their list when it's ready.

Sorry for the dumb question (and doubly so if it's already been answered) but is there any way to tie disc games to a Steam account?

I'm just starting to buy PC games and I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. Target and Walmart often have older games like Oblivion and BioShock for cheaper than what they are on Steam, but I'd rather just pay the extra $5 to have it on Steam if I have to. Is it possible to buy a retail game and tie it to your Steam account?

John

dr3upmushroom said:
Sorry for the dumb question (and doubly so if it's already been answered) but is there any way to tie disc games to a Steam account?

I'm just starting to buy PC games and I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. Target and Walmart often have older games like Oblivion and BioShock for cheaper than what they are on Steam, but I'd rather just pay the extra $5 to have it on Steam if I have to. Is it possible to buy a retail game and tie it to your Steam account?
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Ros8105

8xmuy1.jpg

YEEEEEES! :D

Stumpokapow said:
So, I went on Good Old Games and I was really really surprised by the number of games on that service that are published by publishers who otherwise seem to have no problem with Steam, but aren't on Steam.

Just looking only at the 5 star games on GoG:

Blood - Atari, not on Steam
Fallout - Interplay, more expensive on Steam
Fallout 2 - Interplay, more expensive on Steam
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - Activision, not on Steam
Heroes of Might and Magic® 2: Gold Edition - Ubisoft, not on Steam
Heroes of Might and Magic® 3: Complete Edition - Ubisoft, not on Steam
Master of Magic - Atari, not on Steam
Master of Orion 1+2 - Atari, not on Steam
Outcast - Atari, not on Steam
Psychonauts - Majesco, on Steam, same price
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive - Independently owned by developed, not on Steam

The 4+ star games have a similar ratio. I know Myst and Riven have been on GOG for a long time.

So is this a case of GOG signing exclusivity deals for some of these games, or is it a case of Valve being lacklustre at pursuing classic games? It's just inexplicable that the big guy, who is #1 with a bullet, is missing out on some of this stuff.

There are quite a few games that are on GoG which have been added to the registry of Steam but have yet to be released. Many times Valve will wait to release an entire library of a new publisher rather than one or two titles alone. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more older games being released on Steam since their user-base has long asked for them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Great I bought PQ2 on xbox thinking that if they hadn't announced a PC version by now then it probably wasn't happening. 1 week later...

Sinatar said:
Great I bought PQ2 on xbox thinking that if they hadn't announced a PC version by now then it probably wasn't happening. 1 week later...

The first game ended up coming out on pretty much every platform possible, with a pretty scattered release schedule. It was a fair bet the sequel would be the same.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
randomlyrossy said:
The first game ended up coming out on pretty much every platform possible, with a pretty scattered release schedule. It was a fair bet the sequel would be the same.

Yea I know but the devs wouldn't give a straight answer about a PC version even existing. I'm a dope, I know.

Joe Molotov

bestami said:
Has anyone played this Alter Ego game ? I haven't seen or heard anything about this game. The steam page information makes the game intriguing to me but 30$ is a little bit steep to impulse buy this.

It's a fairly typical modern adventure game. It falls into the Syberia mold. Left-click to use something, right click to look at it. Hotspots are fairly limited (and disappear once you've thoroughly investigated them) and your inventory is small, so the game is fairly easy. So far there's only been inventory puzzles, no logic puzzles (I've played for about 2 hours).

It's too early to tell if the story will be good or not because it hasn't really gone anywhere so far. You play as two people, one a pickpocket who's trying to avoid the law and get on a ship for America, the other is police detective. It's set in 1860's England I think. Some of the dialogue is kinda janky, and you can tell it's been translated into English.

Basically, I'd say if you're a big Adventure game fan you should check it out (though you might wait for a price drop), but if you don't like them already, this one doesn't do anything different to change your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom