• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scipius

Ros8105 said:
8xmuy1.jpg

YEEEEEES! :D

Nice. I wouldn't have expected them to implement iDeal; that probably says enough about the size of the Dutch market. My money is now no longer safe from Valve anywhere!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
19Kilo said:
I think both ME2 and Dragon Age permanently dropped to $29.99 everywhere (at least in NA).

btw - both are 50% off of $29.99 on the gamersgate summer sale right now. Tempting...
I don't even see it listed there

Edit: Oh, I can't buy it because of my location, that's why it's not listed, I guess. Blöp

Mrbob said:
Yet the Dragon Age Awakening expansion is still $29.99. :(

They're both on sale at EA's online store, but Awakening is $2 more expensive than Origins. Of course, that probably doesn't do much good if you have a steam copy of the original.

Quality of the assets are quite nice, I'd expect to pay something in that region for a 3D model with textures if I wanted to use it in my own animation/game. In terms of building the thing, research, modeling, texturing, shading probably took a couple of moderately skilled artists a week or two to make. I'm assuming they actually have to spend a bit of time researching/visiting the trains to get an authentic recreation too.

Hater's gonna hate but this is actual DLC, being made after the game, probably only sells to a small audience and costs a fair amount to produce. They wouldn't keep doing it if they didn't love it and people weren't buying it so I can't see any problem with it.

Mr_Zombie

Stumpokapow said:
Just looking only at the 5 star games on GoG:

Blood - Atari, not on Steam
Fallout - Interplay, more expensive on Steam
Fallout 2 - Interplay, more expensive on Steam
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - Activision, not on Steam
Heroes of Might and Magic® 2: Gold Edition - Ubisoft, not on Steam
Heroes of Might and Magic® 3: Complete Edition - Ubisoft, not on Steam
Master of Magic - Atari, not on Steam
Master of Orion 1+2 - Atari, not on Steam
Outcast - Atari, not on Steam
Psychonauts - Majesco, on Steam, same price
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive - Independently owned by developed, not on Steam

Thank you, you've just made me register on GOG and buy Gabriel Knight: SotF :lol
That's the only game from the series I didn't own and that, by the time I had discovered the series, was impossible to buy anywhere :).

Weenerz

Banned
Been playing the shit out of Puzzle Quest 2 for the DS, so it's a day one purchase for the pc version. Also, prepuchasing a game, do they charge right away or when the game releases?

Weenerz said:
Been playing the shit out of Puzzle Quest 2 for the DS, so it's a day one purchase for the pc version. Also, prepuchasing a game, do they charge right away or when the game releases?

Valve charges at the moment you pre-purchase the title.

Double D

I'm finally getting around to playing the copy of GTA:SA I bought a little while ago. I'm trying to use the ENB mods for this, but I'm super confused. Has anyone successfuly done this?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I want Puzzle Quest 2... Namco-Bandai said they'd email me a deal... it better be better than 10% off...

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So when did Steam start showing the exact time you unlock achievements? I was checking my PVZ stats and the time of the unlock appear which i'm pretty sure didn't happen before, i just thought it was a neat little thing even tough not all of the achievements have the unlock time.

Railworks bundle is on sale for $34.99. Includes the main game and one of the DLC trains. Think I'll be getting it.

Also for those on Apple computers and laptops, it seems like there will be a huge boost in performance with the 10.6.5 update. People on the Steam forums who are testing it report and show evidence that the update has greatly improved performance:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390502

Gexecuter said:
So when did Steam start showing the exact time you unlock achievements? I was checking my PVZ stats and the time of the unlock appear which i'm pretty sure didn't happen before, i just thought it was a neat little thing even tough not all of the achievements have the unlock time.

Like two weeks ago.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just noticed they are updating some other parts of Steam community, I'm really digging this, but the achievement dates are fucking up formating of achievement pages and it looks bad atm.

newsteamymt6.jpg

coopolon

Stallion Free said:
Just noticed they are updating some other parts of Steam community, I'm really digging this, but the achievement dates are fucking up formating of achievement pages and it looks bad atm.

Wait, when did Borderlands get Steam achievements? I bought it during the Xmas sale and played it with friends for about 40 hours and don't remember any achievements. Yup, just checked and I got none.

Polk

coopolon said:
Wait, when did Borderlands get Steam achievements? I bought it during the Xmas sale and played it with friends for about 40 hours and don't remember any achievements. Yup, just checked and I got none.
Last week it was updated.

Hawk SE

coopolon said:

Just load up your game. It will retroactively unlock achievements.

Also you must travel to each location to pop the location achievements. You should get 20-30 depending on what you've played in no time.

Burekma

Stallion Free said:
They actually already fixed that. You are probably using a cached CSS file. It will update eventually.

graywolf323

Mrbob said:
Yet the Dragon Age Awakening expansion is still $29.99. :(

that's actually a $10 price drop from it's original price of $39.99

also it seems C&C 4 has price dropped to $29.99 (still too high IMO)

Joe Molotov

Just beat Alter Ego the new horror/mystery point-and-click adventure on Steam, and wow. I said WOW. And not good wow, but bad wow. I would have been willing to give this game a 7-7.5 based on the first few hours, I mean it's nothing groundbreaking and it's really easy, but I did enjoy it for what it was. But then, holy crap! The game just ends!

First of all, it's only six hours long (and that's 6 hours of searching every nook and cranny, talking to everyone two or three times, reading every dialogue, showing every item in your inventory to every character, using every item together with every other item, you know the basic adventure game stuff. If you knew what to do from the beginning and skipped dialogue, you could beat it like 30 minutes. It took me maybe twice as long to beat as a Sam & Max episode, and that's probably being a bit generous to it. But if it had been six great hours, then maybe I would be forgiving, but the story takes FOREVER to get started. Four hours into the game, you barely even know what's going on, you're still waiting for the story to start taking shape. Two hours later, it's all over.

Then, and this part gets a little spoilerish:
the ending is totally crap. The murderer is somebody that you didn't even know about until 5 minutes before the game ended, and the reason why he was killing was WTF stupid. I mean, okay it kinda made sense, but there was no build up to it. It's just like "Oh here's why he did it" and it was something that you never could have worked out in a million years, like if they said "He was a Martian spaceman in disguise and he hated humans, that's why he did it!"

When the game ended, I was like "Wait, that can't be it. Where's the second half of the game?" I actually played the ending section over again, thinking maybe the game just crashed, it dumped me back to the main menu so abruptly (no credits or anything). It was like messing up and getting the bad ending in a game before the real ending, except I'm pretty sure this is the only ending there is. Really sad, don't buy this game for more than $10, it's not worth it, even if you like adventure games. If you really want an adventure game, just buy The Lost Crown for $10 on Amazon instead, it's about 3x longer and 100x more awesome.

dejan

wmat said:
50€ in Germany.

Speaking of Germany. I don't know if this is old news (I just read this on a german gaming site), but this is what happens now when you try to activate an imported MW2 version in Germany.

blaywjds.jpg

dejan said:
Speaking of Germany. I don't know if this is old news (I just read this on a german gaming site), but this is what happens now when you try to activate an imported MW2 version in Germany.

blaywjds.jpg
Couldn't you just bypass that with a proxy?

OgTheClever said:
Couldn't you just bypass that with a proxy?

The article itself says that VPN use is possible, however since it is against the TOS, you account could suffers the consequences (but yeah, it should work, the website is just playing safe).

JudgeN

Question, someone logged into my steam account and purchased some shitty games (MW2/BC2). I had my CC canceled but I'm wondering how valve will handle my account because I'm going o be really pissed if they close it and I lose all my games. The people didn't change my password so i was able to login this morning and change it. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

JudgeN said:
Question, someone logged into my steam account and purchased some shitty games (MW2/BC2). I had my CC canceled but I'm wondering how valve will handle my account because I'm going o be really pissed if they close it and I lose all my games. The people didn't change my password so i was able to login this morning and change it. Anyone have any experience with something like this?
If you cancel your card before all the payments are done valve will lock down your account and then you have a lovely time with their tech support, if the games someone bought are already paid for I can't see there being a problem outside of you losing some money.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
dejan said:
I don't get how publishers don't understand that they're tampering with completely normal options. Importing games is cool. Playing games in english is cool. Let us fucking do our thing, you dicks.

By far the biggest issues I have with importing games in Germany are forced localization and georestricted serials. It's just so unnecessary!

And Steam is so far the biggest platform supporting that nonsense. THERE is something you could improve.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Germany could also try a hand at not being techno isolationists, but hey, gotta protect the taxpayers from the horror of modern media.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I thought this was just a problem on the Mac side of things, but I was trying to organize games on the PC side as well today for the first time.
Is it a known issue that if you add a non-Steam game and then try to put it in a category, it won't stay there, and resets to just being under "games" every time you restart Steam?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Add it to the specified category then immediately exit Steam. It *should* stay in its appropriate category.

Javaman

JudgeN said:

Are you sure you didn't buy those in a drunken haze?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mad Max said:
It's a shame the game doesn't work on multi-core machines though, so unless they rework the engine it's basicly a waste of money.

Boo, really? Why is that? Does that mean Freespace 2 doesn't work either?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mad Max said:
It's a shame the game doesn't work on multi-core machines though, so unless they rework the engine it's basicly a waste of money.

There is a mod for Freespace 2 that imports all the missions, briefings and cutscenes from FS1 into the Freespace 2 engine. You can even use it with all the FSOpen stuff to get the massively improved graphics.

http://fsport.hard-light.net/website/

JudgeN

Javaman said:
Are you sure you didn't buy those in a drunken haze?

Yes i'm sure because they aren't on my game list they were gifted to some random asshole and it was at 3 am today :lol

Still haven't heard back from steam and I'm getting a little worried. I knew another guy who I played L4D2 with a lot and he got his account hacked and is still trying to get it straightened out with valve a month latter. Depending on how this goes, I might be put off on DD. Which is sad cause i like steam.

Visualante said:
Quality of the assets are quite nice, I'd expect to pay something in that region for a 3D model with textures if I wanted to use it in my own animation/game. In terms of building the thing, research, modeling, texturing, shading probably took a couple of moderately skilled artists a week or two to make. I'm assuming they actually have to spend a bit of time researching/visiting the trains to get an authentic recreation too.

Hater's gonna hate but this is actual DLC, being made after the game, probably only sells to a small audience and costs a fair amount to produce. They wouldn't keep doing it if they didn't love it and people weren't buying it so I can't see any problem with it.

I know someone who works with real model trains (as I type that I realize that real model is something of an oxymoron) and every single detail of every car is identical and to scale in relationship to the real thing. I would assume that the trains in the dlc are similarly detailed as opposed to just stacking a few polygons and textures together.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gexecuter said:
I wonder how they will handle the GOTY edition for users that already have PVZ like me, will they charge a small amount for the upgrade? Or will they release the new content in a free update? Hopefully it's the latter kinda but i doubt that.

If Batman's any indication, they'll just retire the old version and put the new version up on the store for you to buy.

firehawk12 said:
If Batman's any indication, they'll just retire the old version and put the new version up on the store for you to buy.

Batman they didn't upgrade people to GOTY as far as I know. He's asking about people who already own it.

Edit: Ya, they didn't. I'm assuming this will have to be a full repurchase just like Batman was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom