• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

People who bought PvZ from popcap.com were able to upgrade to the GOTY edition for free. Hopefully they do the same for Steam customers.

Struct09 said:
People who bought PvZ from popcap.com were able to upgrade to the GOTY edition for free. Hopefully they do the same for Steam customers.

Eh, not holding my breath. They make more money on their website so I can see them doing it for that but not steam.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Eh, not holding my breath. They make more money on their website so I can see them doing it for that but not steam.

Yeah i think they sell their games for 20 bucks on their own store while on Steam it's always 10, that's why i'm worried that they will charge money for the GOTY edition.

Gexecuter said:
Yeah i think they sell their games for 20 bucks on their own store while on Steam it's always 10, that's why i'm worried that they will charge money for the GOTY edition.

Pretty much all companies charge for GOTY, why wouldn't they?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I guess Valve and their free updates has spoiled me so i expect something similar from other companies. Anyway PVZ is awesome and i wouldn't mind paying for an upgrade to the GOTY edition.

Lothars

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Because they are offering it free other places for owners of the game, so they should be offering the GOTY edition for free for Steam users as well.

kamspy

Has anyone been hacked that didn't click a link?

I never even log into steam through a browser. I'm client ONLY.

I haven't been hacked, but I'm wondering if I should keep tabs on it.

I haven't opened my Steam client since 7/27. :p (aside from just now after reading this thread)

NIN90

kamspy said:

I haven't opened my Steam client since 7/27. :p (aside from just now after reading this thread)

Your account is probably already hacked. Multiple times.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
kamspy said:

Well even by clicking a link in a browser that contains some kind of key logger or something that can fish for personal data they could still get your steam account if you log in with the client.

vazel

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Well even by clicking a link in a browser that contains some kind of key logger or something that can fish for personal data they could still get your steam account if you log in with the client.
Yea that's why 'remember me' options are sometimes safer because you don't have to keep manually typing in your password. I don't use remember me options though, in case my PC gets robbed I don't want the thief autologging into all my stuff(except for forums I don't care about that).

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i bought Eversion today for 5 bucks. The game is a simple platformer that contains puzzle elements, it starts out with cheerful graphics and sounds but everything quickly changes with the use of your special eversion power, i think saying more would ruin the surprise which is the game's main appeal at least for me. I have enjoyed Eversion a lot even tought the game can get frustating at some points and it doesn't have a very long duration but still it's quite a ride, now i have to get all of the endings. Also achievements whores will love Eversion, i got 8 achievements in like an hour and a half and it appears getting the rest of the achievements is not that hard.

Jirotrom

Gexecuter said:
So i bought Eversion today for 5 bucks. The game is a simple platformer that contains puzzle elements, it starts out with cheerful graphics and sounds but everything quickly changes with the use of your special eversion power, i think saying more would ruin the surprise which is the game's main appeal at least for me. I have enjoyed Eversion a lot even tought the game can get frustating at some points and it doesn't have a very long duration but still it's quite a ride, now i have to get all of the endings. Also achievements whores will love Eversion, i got 8 achievements in like an hour and a half and it appears getting the rest of the achievements is not that hard.

achievement whoring only matters if their are points... no one looks at my achievements lol. Add a point system valve... gimme that leveling up feeling and you become hands down the best system of gaming on the planet.

they already are :p

Truespeed

kamspy said:

I'm not sure what attack vector they're using, but I keep my profile private and haven't really ever been subjected to any of this.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Gexecuter said:
I played the crap out of the free to play version and I bought this one when it got released. I unlocked all of the achievements though a few of them are kind of hard to get unless you look at a walkthrough. Fantastic game everyone should get it.

Mr_Zombie

Jangaroo said:
I played the crap out of the free to play version and I bought this one when it got released. I unlocked all of the achievements though a few of them are kind of hard to get unless you look at a walkthrough. Fantastic game everyone should get it.
What's the difference between the free version and the Steam version besides achievements?

And yes, the game is great. The first level looks like some colorful childish Mario rip-off, but the more you play it, the better the game gets. The atmosphere it creates is really what lots of modern
horror
games lack.

behind you
:p

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Off the top of my head the most notable thing that's changed between the two versions is the updated graphics. It's still pixel art goodness but there's a bit more detail, particularly in the backgrounds and such. There's also a level not in the free to play version I think though I can't quite remember if it was in it or not.

Lijik

Gexecuter said:
i think saying more would ruin the surprise which is the game's main appeal at least for me.

Personally I feel this version does that well enough on its own anyways from the achievement names to the fucking trailer on the steampage.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

Hey it seems like a pretty good for a well updated indie game, also they put up a 4 pack for 15 bucks which seems like a very good deal to me, too bad i'm broke :lol

Lijik said:
Personally I feel this version does that well enough on its own anyways from the achievement names to the fucking trailer on the steampage.

Well i didn't check the trailer before buying the game i had just played a little of the free version which got me interested in the Steam version. Anyway even if people know the twist, Eversion still remains a game worth playing.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
JudgeN said:
Question, someone logged into my steam account and purchased some shitty games (MW2/BC2). I had my CC canceled but I'm wondering how valve will handle my account because I'm going o be really pissed if they close it and I lose all my games. The people didn't change my password so i was able to login this morning and change it. Anyone have any experience with something like this?
I'm pretty sure you mean a bad game and a good game.

But yeah, if the games are already paid for, there's no problem. If Valve goes to your credit card and they say "sorry, that credit card was canceled", your account will pretty much be locked, and you'll have to try to explain to Valve Support.

Lothars said:
Because they are offering it free other places for owners of the game, so they should be offering the GOTY edition for free for Steam users as well.

Are they offering it anywhere but their company's website? Because they have a different profit structure there and probably want to encourage to buy from there instead of elsewhere so there is no real expectation that it has to be done elsewhere.

Has anyone tried Nation Red yet? It looks kind of cool but I'm on my mac so I can't try it out right now. Was wondering if anyone had any opinions yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone tried Nation Red yet? It looks kind of cool but I'm on my mac so I can't try it out right now. Was wondering if anyone had any opinions yet.
Yeah I actually bought it last night because I had been meaning to pick it up for a while :lol Oh well it's not like 5$ bothers me anyways. It's pretty neat and the gameplay is pretty tight. However, it's a lot of defend against the hordes rather than traveling through levels (at least of the campaign I have played). I definitely don't see it holding my interest for more than an hour or two though.

John said:
Looks like Alien Swarm busted the door on the top-down shooters for now
Not really, Nation Red has been around for quite a while and has been regularly updating adding new modes and achievements. They just added co-op to the game yesterday (a pretty big feature) and games commonly do sales when they add something new.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just tried it and its a fun arcadey game from what I can tell. Its basically a twin stick shooter in the geometry wars style - but with zombies and machine guns and a health bar rather than instant death. Works great with a 360 controller, didn't try mouse.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Looks like we got updated to Plants vs Zombies: Game of the Year edition for free

Its awesome, but at the same time I'm almost a tiny bit dissapointed in that, for one reason

No more Michael Jackson zombie ;_;

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kifimbo said:
Probably old, but Plants vs. Zombies: GOTY Edition was automatically download on my account.
No more Zombie Jackson :'(

eversion I didn't play, but it doesn't really appeal to me from what I've seen.

Nation Red is a waste of money imo. Bought it long time ago, played it a bit...cried...

epmode

Zerokku said:
Looks like we got updated to Plants vs Zombies: Game of the Year edition for free

Its awesome, but at the same time I'm almost a tiny bit dissapointed in that, for one reason

No more Michael Jackson zombie ;_;
I already set my copy to not auto-update for this very reason. I really hope Steam pays attention....

Heh, must admit I played PvZ for the first time soon after MJ's death and thought it might rub sensitive people the wrong way. Bit of a shame but can't really blame them.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Might ask in the Street Fighter IV thread, but I highly doubt many of them have played the PC version so I'll ask here for now. I know the PC version Of SFIV supports the standard 360 controller, but what about the 360 fight pad controllers? Been thinking of picking up SFIV to mess around with on my PC, but would prefer to play with a fight pad controller over the standard.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Heh, must admit I played PvZ for the first time soon after MJ's death and thought it might rub sensitive people the wrong way. Bit of a shame but can't really blame them.

Meh, then you better get rubbed the wrong way at his thriller video too then.

Struct09

Zerokku said:
Might ask in the Street Fighter IV thread, but I highly doubt many of them have played the PC version so I'll ask here for now. I know the PC version Of SFIV supports the standard 360 controller, but what about the 360 fight pad controllers? Been thinking of picking up SFIV to mess around with on my PC, but would prefer to play with a fight pad controller over the standard.

Not only does it support the fight pad, they were selling the PC version bundled with the 360 fight pad for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom