• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
kinoki said:
What else is there? Music, voice acting and art direction?
Music ranges from just kind of there to pretty good. Voice acting is average. I really like the art direction.

UrbanRats

mikespit1200 said:
I have a boxed copy that seems to work fine on Win7 x64. Have you tried running the exe as administrator?
yep :(
anyway, i'll wait till the download is done(again, i mean)... and i'll try everything that comes to mind. :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
UrbanRats said:
Anybody got problems with Tomb Raider Anniversary on Win7?(steam version, ofcourse).
mine had problem starting, after manually updating it, it start, but crashes to desktop after the intro(before the main menu).
and if i put the TRA.exe in compatibility mode, it tells me "steam.exe non found"...wtf?
i've uninstalled it, i'll try re-download it later.. but anybody got a similar problem? Is it steam or it's Win7(64bit)?
I have Win7 64-bit and the game works perfect for me through Steam.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
kinoki said:
What else is there? Music, voice acting and art direction?
The music is one of the high points I think, especially the boss tracks are great, gets you pumped up. Voice acting is standard fare, not spectacular but nothing that will make you want to rip your ears off, PC version also has both English and Japanese voice tracks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Schmattakopf said:
How do you know if it's a good game if you haven't even bought it yet?
I would play the demo and know that the gameplay and graphics were pleasing to me/read reviews to confirm that the game was something that I want to support?

UrbanRats

Stallion Free said:
Something hardware related maybe? Do the verify game cache because you may be missing a file. Also, update your DirectX and videocard drivers.
verified already :( and my drivers are up to date(checked yesterday).
My Direct X should be ok, since i've played recent games, like Mafia 2 or Just Cause 2..
Oh, Tomb Raider Legend is giving me the same issue, the plot thickens. :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
UrbanRats said:
verified already :( and my drivers are up to date(checked yesterday).
My Direct X should be ok, since i've played recent games, like Mafia 2 or Just Cause 2..
Oh, Tomb Raider Legend is giving me the same issue, the plot thickens. :lol
I've noticed TLR hates ATI drivers at times, so perhaps you need to use older ones, unless you're on Nvidia, then I don't know.

Edit: As for Legend, that game is pretty unstable unless you turn NextGen Content off and play in PS2 port mode.

UrbanRats

Easy_D said:
I've noticed TLR hates ATI drivers at times, so perhaps you need to use older ones, unless you're on Nvidia, then I don't know.

Edit: As for Legend, that game is pretty unstable unless you turn NextGen Content off and play in PS2 port mode.
i have an ATI, yes.. 5850.
downgrading the drivers could cause problems with other games though, am i right?
As far as Legend goes: i tried lowering everything down in the set up(disabling next gen, depth of field and everything else), still won't go past the intro(just as Anniversary).

Daigoro

UrbanRats said:
i have an ATI, yes.. 5850.
downgrading the drivers could cause problems with other games though, am i right?
As far as Legend goes: i tried lowering everything down in the set up(disabling next gen, depth of field and everything else), still won't go past the intro(just as Anniversary).

not really. you'd only be going back to 10.6. worth a try for sure. uh depending on what drivers you are currently using.

also check here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=241 if you havent already.

looks like plenty of issues with ATI cards unfortunately.

Safe Bet

Banned
I know it's a Trojan Horse for Steam, but..

I was stunned by Alien Swarm.

Got a few hours of playtime with it last night and was in a constant state of disbelief that it's a free game.

Volcynika

Bisonian said:
Offer ends 9 am PST, so it says. Could be over quick.

Nah, should end tomorrow

Full article

Can't make it to Texas for QuakeCon this year? Or maybe you're already there, playing in the largest LAN event in North America. Either way, you can take part in the partying and fun with four days of huge sales on id and Bethesda games on Steam. Come back each day for a different deal, or just go ahead and pick up the QuakeCon Pack for about 75% off all currently available id and Bethesda games.

The QuakeCon 2010 Steam Sale kicks off today with 66% off The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition. Also at 66% off is the The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition Deluxe, which includes Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles expansions plus Fighter's Stronghold Expansion, Spell Tome Treasures, Vile Lair, Mehrune's Razor and much more.

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for another great deal. Offers change at 9am Pacific Time.

SmokyDave said:
I just bought the shit out of that pack. As a Steam newbie these packs are blowing my mind.

Just wait until Christmas time, my friend. You haven't seen shit until you've seen the ridiculous amount of cheap shit for their end of the year sale.

Yeah I remember copping Mirrors Edge for 5 bucks. Do they discount relatively new games during the Christmas Sale? I forgot.

I might pick up Mafia 2, Metro 2033 and Risen 4 then if that's the case.

Roofy said:
since only one person from the 4pack got back to me, im offering 2 copies of Red Nation for $3.75 each

add me on steam

i'll be in and out all day so leave me a message and i'll send it later

I would add you, but I'm at work =(

Discotheque said:
Yeah I remember copping Mirrors Edge for 5 bucks. Do they discount relatively new games during the Christmas Sale? I forgot.

Yeah, they discount the hell out of them during their huge sales. Hell, during their summer sale, they had the THQ pack that came with a shit ton of games AND Metro 2033 for $50

Tenks

Last Remnant is a good game that suffers a few pacing issues. Occasionally you'll find yourself in a battle with a massive difficulty leap from the previous section. I think I finished when I had to assault some castles or some shit. Eagle's Nest was a pain in the ass battle as well.

However if you have a beefy computer and a 360 pad (I hated KBM for this game) it is a fantastic game. It kept me entertained for like 25 hours.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Bisonian said:
Looks like there's a sale going on across the weekend to celebrate QuakeCon. New sales every day for the next 5 days or so. Today's is Oblivion (regular or deluxe) for -66%.

There's also a QuakeCon pack with all of id and Bethesda's games (not including New Vegas) for $69.99.

Oblivion GOTY - $6.79
Oblivion GOTY Deluxe - $8.49
QuakeCon 2010 Pack - $69.99

Hopefully they have Doom 3 as a daily deal.

hamchan

Discotheque said:

I don't know about Mafia 2 but I'd bet Metro 2033 will be discounted considering I just bought a boxed version for $12.

Is Risen back on the steam store?

Tenks said:
Last Remnant is a good game that suffers a few pacing issues. Occasionally you'll find yourself in a battle with a massive difficulty leap from the previous section. I think I finished when I had to assault some castles or some shit. Eagle's Nest was a pain in the ass battle as well.

However if you have a beefy computer and a 360 pad (I hated KBM for this game) it is a fantastic game. It kept me entertained for like 25 hours.

This post is correct. And the addition of the Japanese language track to get rid of that horrible English dub makes it worth while.

SmokyDave

Solstice said:
Just wait until Christmas time, my friend. You haven't seen shit until you've seen the ridiculous amount of cheap shit for their end of the year sale.
So people are saying. I don't get how much cheaper it can get. I almost feel I ought to paypal John Romero an extra tenner as it is!

Dynoro

SmokyDave said:
So people are saying. I don't get how much cheaper it can get. I almost feel I ought to paypal John Romero an extra tenner as it is!
When it gets to Christmas sales expect to pay 2-3 quid (or as low as a packet of Walkers) a game max unless its brand new; then it might be a tenner

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm about to buy the QuakeCon pack but I need someone to verify this for me:

Does the Steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY come with Microsoft Achievements or Steam ones?

Dynoro

industrian said:
I'm about to buy the QuakeCon pack but I need someone to verify this for me:

Does the Steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY come with Microsoft Achievements or Steam ones?
MS achievements - and you can cheat/console command them all if you have no dignity

hamchan

SmokyDave said:

Pretty much everything goes on sale, EVERYTHING.

(except for Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, fucking Activision.)

Bisonian

hamchan said:

... and Sacred 2 oddly enough. I think that has more to do with them being out of business though :(

industrian

Whilst I'm in the mood for buying shit, does someone want to shill me a Steam game that'll run on a 1.8Ghz netbook w/ 1GB of memory and no dedicated GPU?

I'll be building myself a new high-powered PC around Christmas/New Year, but until then I need a way to kill some time.

Davidion

industrian said:
Whilst I'm in the mood for buying shit, does someone want to shill me a Steam game that'll run on a 1.8Ghz netbook w/ 1GB of memory and no dedicated GPU?

I'll be building myself a new high-powered PC around Christmas/New Year, but until then I need a way to kill some time.

Well, I don't know how you take to casual games but the entire Popcap back catalog is on Steam.

I wonder if games like Puzzle Agent runs under those kind of specs.

Minsc

Gold Member
SmokyDave said:

The problem isn't so much the price as the sheer quantity of the titles on sale when you have a dozen different daily deals for 14 days straight, and on top of that you have like 500+ titles on sale.

hamchan said:

It's been $10 a few times I thought.

industrian

Davidion said:
Well, I don't know how you take to casual games but the entire Popcap back catalog is on Steam.

I wonder if games like Puzzle Agent runs under those kind of specs.

Any game released before 2002 should run perfectly. In the last few days I've been playing a lot of the older C&C games and need something else.

@ roofy

I'm down for one of those Nation Reds

Steam ID: rumaki

I can view your profile but when I try to add you, you don't exist.... hmmm.

Jirotrom

Bisonian said:
Looks like there's a sale going on across the weekend to celebrate QuakeCon. New sales every day for the next 5 days or so. Today's is Oblivion (regular or deluxe) for -66%.

There's also a QuakeCon pack with all of id and Bethesda's games (not including New Vegas) for $69.99.

Oblivion GOTY - $6.79
Oblivion GOTY Deluxe - $8.49
QuakeCon 2010 Pack - $69.99

DAMNIT! I bought the GOTY version thinking it had everything on the last sale I didnt know there was a deluxe version as well.... are the extras in the deluxe version worth it?

Jirotrom said:
DAMNIT! I bought the GOTY version thinking it had everything on the last sale I didnt know there was a deluxe version as well.... are the extras in the deluxe version worth it?

Eh... If IIRC some are ok but you're also getting shit like horse armor and stuff in it. Mezunes Razor is supposed to be pretty decent. I only glanced at it so you'll have to double check it but it seems to be all the dlc for the game, some of which was awful.

Edit: Listen to above post, he has a chart. I'm kind of shocked the GOTY doesn't even have the DLC, that's pretty lame.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Eh... If IIRC some are ok but you're also getting shit like horse armor and stuff in it. Mezunes Razor is supposed to be pretty decent. I only glanced at it so you'll have to double check it but it seems to be all the dlc for the game, some of which was awful.

Edit: Listen to above post, he has a chart. I'm kind of shocked the GOTY doesn't even have the DLC, that's pretty lame.
It's worth it for the Wizard Tower alone. All the homes are pretty sweet. Mehrunes Razor is a heck of a quest, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom