• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
markot said:
How is AC with the keyboard and mouse >.>?

It takes a little bit of time to remember the different combinations to perform actions. It's not super hard but the tutorial on how to do things feels like an hour. :lol

I bought Assassin's Creed and Freedom Force today. I'm gonna play AC first then start on Freedom Force.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Here are the random Marvel and DC skins I found. Also, a few generic bases and custom power effects. It's all mixed together so you'll have to dig a little, but it's a small file (24.6mb) so it might be worth having around. They were all made I believe for FF, so I don't recall if that means they work for 3rd Reich. They may need to be converted, there is a converter mod at the last fan site I linked to earlier.

http://www.filedropper.com/ffmeshes

mikeGFG

Banned
downloading Double Agent right now. I've always wanted to play this.

I bought AC, too. I never really cared for the game, but hey.... its ten bucks.

VALIS

Musashi Wins! said:
Here are the random Marvel and DC skins I found. Also, a few generic bases and custom power effects. It's all mixed together so you'll have to dig a little, but it's a small file (24.6mb) so it might be worth having around. They were all made I believe for FF, so I don't recall if that means they work for 3rd Reich. They may need to be converted, there is a converter mod at the last fan site I linked to earlier.

http://www.filedropper.com/ffmeshes

Thanks man! Gonna try them out tonight or tomorrow.

-Winnie-

Got both Splinter Cell games. Goddamnit, Sam seems to move in slow motion... strange, but I guess I'll have to get used to it. $10 for both was a steal, anyway. ;D

Zzoram

legend166 said:
Screw it I'll get both.

Can anyone here explain Freedom Force multiplayer?

Getting both is a good idea. Assassin's Creed looks beautiful, but gets tedious. Freedom Force looks hilarious, and I'm not sure how it holds up but it has a really high metacritic.

legend166

Actually, I just remember I have a copy of Freedom Force that came with C&C Renegade that I bought for about $10 around 5 years back. I don't think I ever played it.

Third Reich worth getting by itself?

Zzoram

legend166 said:
Actually, I just remember I have a copy of Freedom Force that came with C&C Renegade that I bought for about $10 around 5 years back. I don't think I ever played it.

Third Reich worth getting by itself?

Not sure. Still, getting both on Steam is worth the extra $1.50 over buying just one.

sol_bad

You can use the X360 control pad for Assassin's Creed right?
I just bought Assassins Creed, Double Agent and Freedom Fighters.

Zzoram

GriffD17 said:
The difficulty in freedom force is definitely going to be an issue for me. I'm' enjoying the feel of it, but it's frustrating.

I think you can turn down the difficulty in the options.

Zzoram

GriffD17 said:
But I'll feel like a pansy if I do anything less than normal. How's your playthrough turning out for you?

It's a bit frustrating at times. I'm not sure how much I enjoy the controls, but I really dig the comedic comic book style cutscenes and satirically patriotic theme.

Does the second game improve the interface? If so, I might just skip to that. I don't know if I can handle 33 levels of the first game :lol

I'm definately planning to turn it down from Normal to Easy. Sometimes it's better to finish and experience a game on easy, than to be frustrated and never finish on Normal.

Man, the writing in Freedom Force is a little painful for me. I realize it's intended as an homage to its source material, but as someone who never really read superhero comics, it's so cheesy as to be somewhat off-putting. I think part of the problem might be that so many video games have very uninspired writing even when it's not deliberate that doing it intentionally isn't really as effective as it might be in another medium.

benjipwns

Banned
I loved it for that when I first played through back when it came out, now yeah, it's kinda... :lol

Still love it though, that's why I picked it up as I have no idea where my discs are. Such a great deal as well.

Since everyone keeps confusing it for Freedom Fighters, that's another I picked up for $3-4 on sale a few years back. That'd be a cool game, a lot of GAF probably missed, to put on Steam for a low price. (Wouldn't mind a sequel to that instead of Kane and Lynch.)

benjipwns said:
I loved it for that when I first played through back when it came out, now yeah, it's kinda... :lol

Still love it though, that's why I picked it up as I have no idea where my discs are. Such a great deal as well.

Since everyone keeps confusing it for Freedom Fighters, that's another I picked up for $3-4 on sale a few years back. That'd be a cool game, a lot of GAF probably missed, to put on Steam for a low price. (Wouldn't mind a sequel to that instead of Kane and Lynch.)
I agree, Freedom Fighters is awesome. I highly recommend it.

Back when Ninja Gaiden came out and everyone was going nuts about it, I picked it up even though it's not really my kind of game. As it turned out, it wasn't my kind of game and I mainly thought it was boring, plus my copy was actually bugged or something and it froze in the second level. As a result, I was able to return it to GameStop for the full purchase price, and with that money I bought both Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Freedom Fighters, both of which were not selling super well so they were each discounted.

I didn't know anything about Freedom Fighters other than I had vaguely heard it was good. That return and subsequent pair of purchases ended up being one of the most amazingly fortuitous gaming transactions I've had in my entire life, as The Sands of Time is now one of my favorite games ever, and Freedom Fighters was probably one of my favorite games of the year and still a title that never got the recognition I felt it deserved.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zzoram said:
Can anyone here explain Freedom Force multiplayer?

If I remember correctly it's just a simple deathmatch mode where you take your custom hero and fight someone elses.

If that is even there, I honestly can't remember if FF actually had multiplayer or not.

benjipwns

Banned
Chris Remo said:
Freedom Fighters was probably one of my favorite games of the year and still a title that never got the recognition I felt it deserved.
It's one of those games that you could say fails on all the individual metrics (graphics, controls, etc.) that most people rate things and focus on but comes together greatly as a whole. On PC a lot of those issues go away (with higher resolution, higher graphics, wasd+mouse if one prefers that, although it controls fine on Xbox (where i first played it) at least) so I think it would find some fans today.

I especially love how doing certain missions will change how you take on a bunch of others. (To non-spoil an early one for anyone reading, you take out snipers in order to attack a building, or can blow up something to prevent helicopters attacking you in another mission.)

I like Ninja Gaiden a lot, but you made out like a bandit with Sands of Time and Freedom Fighters in that trade.
Sinatar said:
If I remember correctly it's just a simple deathmatch mode where you take your custom hero and fight someone elses.

If that is even there, I honestly can't remember if FF actually had multiplayer or not.
Yeah, it's there, nobody is playing it though. Maybe this Steam release can add some games so I can at least try it. (Had dial-up when it first came out so never tried multiplayer.)

webrunner said:
You and Friend 3 didn't buy Freedom Force.

This cannot stand!
oh, I forgot about this, sure thing I bought it :D

-Winnie- said:
Got both Splinter Cell games. Goddamnit, Sam seems to move in slow motion... strange, but I guess I'll have to get used to it. $10 for both was a steal, anyway. ;D
you can toggle the moving speed with the mouse wheel!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Chris Remo said:
I agree, Freedom Fighters is awesome. I highly recommend it.

Back when Ninja Gaiden came out and everyone was going nuts about it, I picked it up even though it's not really my kind of game. As it turned out, it wasn't my kind of game and I mainly thought it was boring, plus my copy was actually bugged or something and it froze in the second level. As a result, I was able to return it to GameStop for the full purchase price, and with that money I bought both Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Freedom Fighters, both of which were not selling super well so they were each discounted.

I didn't know anything about Freedom Fighters other than I had vaguely heard it was good. That return and subsequent pair of purchases ended up being one of the most amazingly fortuitous gaming transactions I've had in my entire life, as The Sands of Time is now one of my favorite games ever, and Freedom Fighters was probably one of my favorite games of the year and still a title that never got the recognition I felt it deserved.

I played those at about the same time too. That whole period left me in a rosy state with the Xbox that I'm not sure I've felt this gen on console again. Those two were complete gems.

Musashi Wins! said:
I played those at about the same time too. That whole period left me in a rosy state with the Xbox that I'm not sure I've felt this gen on console again. Those two were complete gems.

Whatever you do, don't touch the PC port with a ten foot pole. That shit's worse than the Mercs 2 port. Amazing game on the console, though.

Alec

Freedom Fighters?

199579-81722-freedom-fighters_super.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I bought the Freedom Force pack, no longer owning a computer to play it on. lulz

I need a new notebook.

Twig

Banned
Sinatar said:
He posted a picture from never? Impressive.
If you didn't like Sonic when you were a kid, you fail at life. And this is from someone who only owned Nintendo systems and a PC!

On the other hand, if you're so old you weren't a kid when that Sonic existed, then... well...

ur old

:D

Twig

Banned
I tried out the flash version of Yosumin a while ago.

What's this version got that the flash version hasn't?

Sciz

A few additional kinds of pieces (one you can swap with others, one you can click to change the entire row and column to that color, perhaps more as I don't remember what exactly the JP flash demo included), an adventure mode that adds items, characters, boards that are weighted towards certain features, and time/score attacking into the mix, more completion goals beyond "clear X number of color Y", and of course vastly more boards to go through in general.

Still much the same game, but bigger and better and a bit shinier all around. And it's ten bucks, and there's a demo anyway.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Man, Freedom Force is still my favorite super hero game. No disrespect to the really good modern ones. I had a stack of 70's Marvel comics that someone gave me as a kid and that probably plays a part. Still great fun to play.

fushi

Peronthious said:
Whatever you do, don't touch the PC port with a ten foot pole. That shit's worse than the Mercs 2 port. Amazing game on the console, though.
PC Port of what, POP:SOT? I still don't get what everyone's issue with it was/is. I played through it and had no issues whatsoever; gorgeous graphics, no noticeable bugs or glitches, controls that work... everything was spiffy to me.

Twig

Banned
fushi said:
PC Port of what, POP:SOT? I still don't get what everyone's issue with it was/is. I played through it and had no issues whatsoever; gorgeous graphics, no noticeable bugs or glitches, controls that work... everything was spiffy to me.
I think he was talking about Freedom Fighters.

I too had no problems with Sands of Time. (The sequel gave me problems, though! Other than in general being a shitty game, of course.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom