• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
benjipwns said:
I had no problems with Freedom Fighters either. And it easily runs perfectly these days.
WELL THEN>

(I never played that one so I believe you. You better not be lying.)

Soule

Anyone played Light of Altair? I watched the trailer it looks intriguing would like to get some impressions if anyone has it (would get the demo but capped for the next 3 days ;_; )

Javaman

I noticed that the client has a "Sale" tab now along with the other ones (New releases, Top sellers etc.) That's pretty nifty but makes my wallet cry. :(

Tim-E

Javaman said:
I noticed that the client has a "Sale" tab now along with the other ones (New releases, Top sellers etc.) That's pretty nifty but makes my wallet cry. :(
:lol I know. It's taking everything in me to not buy those Ubisoft games before they go back to regular price. I already bought UT3.

By the way, any idea what the weekend deal is this week?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's one of those games that you could say fails on all the individual metrics (graphics, controls, etc.) that most people rate things and focus on but comes together greatly as a whole. On PC a lot of those issues go away (with higher resolution, higher graphics, wasd+mouse if one prefers that, although it controls fine on Xbox (where i first played it) at least) so I think it would find some fans today.
Although this is an old post, I thought I would mention that Freedom Fighters for XBOX actually supported 720p. :D

eznark

Banned
I'm still on the fence about UT3. Figure if I just play it a few hours it'll be worth it. We'll see what the deal is. If it's nothing I'll probably pick up UT3 and the Freedom Fighters pack.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Off topic but is it true that if you have a source game installed like Half Life 2:episode 1 your Team fortress 2 full game download will be smaller? 6GB is a big download for me.

Javaman

Gexecuter said:
Off topic but is it true that if you have a source game installed like Half Life 2:episode 1 your Team fortress 2 full game download will be smaller? 6GB is a big download for me.

Yeah, it's MUCH smaller since they share the same source resources. I did the reverse the other day and installed HL2 after having TF2 installed. The required space was only like 700megs or so.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:
Yeah, it's MUCH smaller since they share the same source resources. I did the reverse the other day and installed HL2 after having TF2 installed. The required space was only like 700megs or so.

Cool, i'm gonna give it a try then and install HL2:Episode 1 before trying to download TF2, i hope the download size will be smaller.

Action Jackson said:
Penumbra Pack is 75 off this weekend.

Damn i really would like to get that pack but my payments from my survey site hasn't arrived yet and probably won't until next week, this sucks :(

BeeDog

Thanks for the heads-up, just bought the Penumbra pack! Sorry for asking (I feel retarded :lol ), but three games popped up on my list now: Penumbra Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and Penumbra: Requiem. What's what now, that is, in which order should I play them?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, picked up Trials 2 in anticipation of Trials HD hitting the XBLA, been playing Yousmin for most of the week and honestly I find it to be a decent puzzler but not shockingly don't find it to be Amirox godly hyped levels of awesome. Basically I find this game too random and limiting for my tastes to reach the upper echelon of puzzlers. In short it isn't going to replace Puzzle Quest Challange of the Warlords as the best modern puzzler I have played. Kinda half way through the game but decided to move on to Braid.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
BeeDog said:
Thanks for the heads-up, just bought the Penumbra pack! Sorry for asking (I feel retarded :lol ), but three games popped up on my list now: Penumbra Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and Penumbra: Requiem. What's what now, that is, in which order should I play them?

In that order is just fine, Overture is the first game in the series while Black Plague is the sequel. Requiem is like a mini expansion.

MNC

Penumbra. GAF consensus?

Also, how scary is scary? I found system shock 2 to be atmospherically 'scary'.

Gexecuter said:
Cool, i'm gonna give it a try then and install HL2:Episode 1 before trying to download TF2, i hope the download size will be smaller.

Damn i really would like to get that pack but my payments from my survey site hasn't arrived yet and probably won't until next week, this sucks :(

???? what's this about? do tell.....

Oh sweet, buying that, these games have always peaked my interest and to get two full games plus an expansion for £4.50 is just ridiculous.

Oh and yeah, which order do I play them in?

VALIS

BeeDog said:

In the order you listed.

Stitch

Gold Member
I'm not sure if i will ever complete these games...
was running through the dark when all of a sudden that wolf stood in my way. i crouched into a corner and hoped it didn't see me. well the damn thing was starring at me... than it attacked me o__O

i just barely managed to get back to the storeroom

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Between GamersGate and Steam these sales are coming too fast to keep up with. :lol

$5 is so cheap though.

Bought.

This makes my PC on-sale backlog:
Space Siege
World in Conflict
STALKER: Clear Sky
Toca 3

and now...

three Penumbra games.

Goddamn.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
evil solrac v3.0 said:
???? what's this about? do tell.....

I'll tell if you loan me 5 bucks, seriously i have the money it's just that it takes awhile for me to receive the payments.

Edit: If anyone's interested in how i make some money, PM me. I don't want to derail the thread.

epmode

fushi said:
PC Port of what, POP:SOT? I still don't get what everyone's issue with it was/is. I played through it and had no issues whatsoever; gorgeous graphics, no noticeable bugs or glitches, controls that work... everything was spiffy to me.
I still won't buy it because of the lack of controller support. (and please don't mention those remapping programs. I tried one with BG&E. It's not the same)

Blizzard

Banned
So which thread should we use to talk about Penumbra? :lol I only made it to the part underground where you come back up and are looking for materials
to make an explosive...freaking wolf that comes back, I know it's around SOMEWHERE, too...and augh, I know the spiders will come soon.

krzy123

BobsRevenge said:
Between GamersGate and Steam these sales are coming too fast to keep up with. :lol

$5 is so cheap though.

Bought.

This makes my PC on-sale backlog:
Space Siege
World in Conflict
STALKER: Clear Sky
Toca 3

and now...

three Penumbra games.

Goddamn.

I wish i had a list this small :(

Blizzard

Banned
Just got to a big industrial area with a generator. Enough for me tonight... Oh, and sometimes the automatic load when you die ends up with objects bugged a bit. I had a sign hovering midair, but a reload fixed it.

Combat story:
After getting the pickaxe, I finally killed the zombie wolf (twice, stay dead!). I tried to burn the corpse, guess that doesn't work. XD ...and then while I was looking around a bit more, another zombie wolf ran in and killed me.

MNC said:
Penumbra. GAF consensus?

I love the series, very awesome for a game from such a small team. The minute I saw the $5 deal for all three I bought it. Even though I have the retail of Black Plague, couldn't have been more excited to have all three on Steam. I hope more people will dive in, for $5 it'd be dumb not to give this one a chance.

epmode said:
I still won't buy it because of the lack of controller support. (and please don't mention those remapping programs. I tried one with BG&E. It's not the same)

Using Xpadder, I can do a better job adjusting the controls than most console games allow. The only shit part is that almost every game I play uses WASD for movement, and it isn't analog, so you only move at one speed, or two if there is a run/walk button. Some games this is fine, others not so much. I picked up that Penumbra 5 dollar deal, and I am worried that no analog movement will take me out of the game.

I made a profile for Killing Floor that is so sweet, and since the movement in that game isn't super fast ice-skating like some games, it doesn't piss me off. If you need help setting up a good profile for a game I would be glad to help.

Blizzard

Banned
HurricaneJesus said:
Using Xpadder, I can do a better job adjusting the controls than most console games allow. The only shit part is that almost every game I play uses WASD for movement, and it isn't analog, so you only move at one speed, or two if there is a run/walk button. Some games this is fine, others not so much. I picked up that Penumbra 5 dollar deal, and I am worried that no analog movement will take me out of the game.

I made a profile for Killing Floor that is so sweet, and since the movement in that game isn't super fast ice-skating like some games, it doesn't piss me off. If you need help setting up a good profile for a game I would be glad to help.
Just FYI, I don't think a pad would work very well with Penumbra, since it actually uses motion controls for weapons and such.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i installed HL2 and the download size for TF2 went down to 3.7GB which is nice. However i haven't been able to download TF2 since i get an error that the steams servers are too busy to handle my request and then it's gets stuck with the "download starting message". This blows.

Xapati

MNC said:
Penumbra. GAF consensus?

The game is terrifying. I haven't gotten very far, but it's really scary.

When purchasing gifts on Steam is it possible for them not to "show up" in the corresponding account until a set date? I'm wanting to buy some sale items for my brother's birthday on the the 1st but obviously would preer not to ruin the surprise by him getting the games a month early.

Vagabundo

I'm on the fence, should I get these on the off chance I will play it ? I dunno.

I've a big PC backlog at the moment, but €5 is nothing.

Are these games worth a few hours? They seemed to get poor reviews.

Vagabundo said:
I'm on the fence, should I get these on the off chance I will play it ? I dunno.

I've a big PC backlog at the moment, but €5 is nothing.

Are these games worth a few hours? They seemed to get poor reviews.

The majority of people who play them love them. Critic reviews of course are going to come down hard on the game because of various factors. If you like the horror genre in general, want a good story, and want to see what 10 passionate developers can do then spend the money I check them out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I started Penumbra: Overture, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The atmosphere is pretty damn creepy, although nothing has truly scared me yet. The physics-engine is pretty neat and the puzzles have been grounded entirely in reality (thus far). I can't wait to see how the series progresses.

I really recommend picking it up, and at $5 it's highway robbery.

Slavik81

brain_stew said:
When purchasing gifts on Steam is it possible for them not to "show up" in the corresponding account until a set date? I'm wanting to buy some sale items for my brother's birthday on the the 1st but obviously would preer not to ruin the surprise by him getting the games a month early.
I think you could send them to your own email address, then forward the email onwards to him on his birthday.

Might want to get somebody to double-check that can be done, as I've never tried it myself.

Slavik81 said:
I think you could send them to your own email address, then forward the email onwards to him on his birthday.

Might want to get somebody to double-check that can be done, as I've never tried it myself.

That's the only solution I thought of, not ideal but could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom