• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh damn you win again Steam. I already have Overture and Black Plague on CD, but I've been looking for Requiem on CD for a while (looks like it was discontinued pretty quickly).

Now I can get Black Plague+Requiem for the price of a Starbucks Frappucino.

So what am I gonna do with my CD of Black Plague (which was $5 at Gamestop)?

ArjanN

faceless007 said:
Oh damn you win again Steam. I already have Overture and Black Plague on CD, but I've been looking for Requiem on CD for a while (looks like it was discontinued pretty quickly).

Now I can get Black Plague+Requiem for the price of a Starbucks Frappucino.

So what am I gonna do with my CD of Black Plague (which was $5 at Gamestop)?

Use it as a coaster for your Frappucinos.

Varna

Dedalus said:
Picked up Penumbra on the basis that I haven't shat my pants since playing System Shock 2, looking forward to it :D

Ha. I'm actually playing System Shock 2 again right now. I will definitely pick up Penumbra pack later. Hopefully they are decent titles.

Zzoram said:
Are there any non-graphically violent good adventure games on Steam?

Ceville?

The TellTale games?

Varna said:
Ha. I'm actually playing System Shock 2 again right now. I will definitely pick up Penumbra pack later. Hopefully they are decent titles.

Um, be quick its only a weekend sale.

Woah, I bought the Penumbra pack on Friday and already finished Overture today. Don't let that dissuade you: although it may be on the shorter side, I was pretty much glued to my PC for the last two days.

The atmosphere is just fan-frickin'-tastic. Although its not terrifying, there is definitely an air of creepiness that permeates the whole game. The sound design is also top-notch, although maybe a little repetitive. My only complaint would be the combat, as its pretty clunky. Still, you're really not supposed to be fighting anyways, and the physics system works oh-so-well for the puzzles.

I'm really looking forward to the next chapters.

Tim-E

I kept telling myself I wasn't going to buy the Penumbra pack because I've spent enough money on gaming lately.

Hours before the sale ends I convince myself that I need to go ahead and buy it now before the price goes back up. Like I have done with most weekend deals lately. :(

DevelopmentArrested said:
I have a extra gift copy of Half-Life 2 if anyone wants it just PM me.
Can't wait for Blueberry Garden tomorrow.
That's out tomorrow? Perfect timing.

You know a game is good when the features are:
* Interactive fairytale
* Food
* Story
* Living world
* Music

dLMN8R

Tripwire's amazing Red Orchestra support once again makes me happy to think of what they'll do in the future with Killing Floor - a game more popular than Red Orchestra may have ever been :D

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
dLMN8R said:
Tripwire's amazing Red Orchestra support once again makes me happy to think of what they'll do in the future with Killing Floor - a game more popular than Red Orchestra may have ever been :D
Makes me happy that they are making Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad! :D

Just wondering if people anticipate issues with Windows 7 and games compatibility like so many people bitched about Vista 64 stuff in PC games threads. Current on XP but considering upgrading to 7 RC.

dLMN8R

Visualante said:
Just wondering if people anticipate issues with Windows 7 and games compatibility like so many people bitched about Vista 64 stuff in PC games threads. Current on XP but considering upgrading to 7 RC.
No idea why you chose a Steam announcements thread of all places to ask this question, but Windows 7 is just as compatible with all games as Vista. Which means that everything released for the last 5+ years works flawlessly, without question, and anything older that has any problems can easily be worked around with a quick internet search.

dLMN8R said:
No idea why you chose a Steam announcements thread of all places to ask this question, but Windows 7 is just as compatible with all games as Vista. Which means that everything released for the last 5+ years works flawlessly, without question, and anything older that has any problems can easily be worked around with a quick internet search.
Because this is a PC gamer frequenters thread. And Steam games sometimes can't be patched with quick internet solutions. Why bump the PC gaming hardware thread and wait, it's just as well answered here.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
OS and software question do belong to the PC thread, unless it's about a specific Steam game.

I've been gaming on Windows 7 since February, and I've had no compatibility issues with retail or Steam.

Zzoram

Actually depending on price, I might pick up Morrowind again, since it comes with both expansions. I also missed out on Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, so depending on the pricing for that, I might double dip there too. I already have Oblivion Collector's Edition retail.

Doytch

Ohh, Call of Cthulu. Always heard people say good things about it, anyone play it?

Nice that both the TES games have the expacks. I only ever played the vanilla versions of them, no DLC. I'll probably pick them up on sale.

vertopci

Rebuying Morrowind on Steam for sure. That game was absolutely amazing.

Doytch said:
Ohh, Call of Cthulu. Always heard people say good things about it, anyone play it?

The game is amazing up till you get a gun. Then it goes downhill fast.

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:
Oblivion, Call of Cthulu, and Morrowind be coming

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22330/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22340/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22320/

(I had some Steam store pop-up when I opened it earlier)
Wasn't Call of Cthulhu one of those games that originally had Starforce or whatever the WORST DRM was? The one that could actually damage your drive? If I get verification that the Steam version has it removed, I'd almost get it. Lovecraft is awesome, but even Penumbra: Overture is nearly too scary for me. Call of Cthulhu would TERRIFY me. ;_;

vertopci

Call of Cthulu is now under the new releases section on Steam @ $11.19. Although, clicking it leads you nowhere :lol

Zzoram said:
About time Bethesda fully committed. I already own Oblivion, but I'm so buying Elder Scrolls V on Steam. I have Fallout 3 on Steam.

Morrowind is Elder Scrolls 3...

vertopci

Gexecuter said:
yeah that seemed weird, maybe it's a bug.

I'm taking it as a sign that the three games will be available later tonight!

edit: Now it doesn't have a price :lol

edit2: Now it's been removed :( All hope of Morrowind appearing tonight have disappeared :(

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
legend166 said:
I'm worried they'll bump up the price of Oblivion in Australia, if it even gets put up here.

FallOut 3 is $69.99US

: (

Steam's Australian pricing is either amazing value, or truly retarded. One or the other, always.

Doytch said:

Nice that both the TES games have the expacks. I only ever played the vanilla versions of them, no DLC. I'll probably pick them up on sale.
It's good, but don't be fooled. there is no Cthulu. I rented it with that expectation, and I was let down. Heartbroken, even.

Slavik81

Visualante said:
I've been running Windows 7 RC1 and have had no issues with any game.
That means:
- Company of Heroes
- Half-Life 2, Left4Dead, TF2, etc.
- Prey
- Mirror's Edge
- World of WarCraft
- Darwinia
- Peggle, Plants Vs. Zombies
- Defense Grid
- World of Goo

Occasional crashes from Oblivion and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but those games are both crashing bug-magnets anyways. I doubt the OS has anything to do with it.

You have nothing to worry about as far as games go.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Slavik81 said:
I've been running Windows 7 RC1 and have had no issues with any game.
That means:
- Company of Heroes
- Half-Life 2, Left4Dead, TF2, etc.
- Prey
- Mirror's Edge
- World of WarCraft
- Darwinia
- Peggle, Plants Vs. Zombies
- Defense Grid
- World of Goo

Occasional crashes from Oblivion and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but those games are both crashing bug-magnets anyways. I doubt the OS has anything to do with it.

You have nothing to worry about as far as games go.

Dark Messiah in particular. I've never managed to get more than about an hour into the game because it hard freezes every fucking time.

pilonv1

alistairw said:
Steam's Australian pricing is either amazing value, or truly retarded. One or the other, always.

Or you get a situation like Civ 4 Beyond The Sword, which is on there, but you can't buy it, and it requies the Steam version of Civ 4 which doesn't exist for us.

Baha

Volcynika said:
I didn't do anything. The links worked at the time I posted them, Valve must've changed some things around.

Yeah Valve removed them, probably meant to put them up today and not yesterday.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The only games I've had any issue with in Windows 7 are Kings Bounty, and you can't play any Punkbuster game online.

Doytch

SOE MMOs are 20% off, but I'm thinking it's not the weekend deal cause it's valid until June 19.

e: Actually, all MMOs seem to be 20% off.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ikuu said:
The only games I've had any issue with in Windows 7 are Kings Bounty, and you can't play any Punkbuster game online.

I tried Call of Duty WaW this morning. Had no problem. It seems to use a different punkbuster interface than CoD4 though, so I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom