• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
The GOTY and the Deluxe both do. In fact, there is no way to buy it without Shivering Isles.
I'm an idiot, I did not read the game description, I was only looking at the bottom of the page that lists out the expansions.

Blizzard

Banned
I made the mistake of getting Call of Cthulhu (mistake since it's probably terrifying). :lol I couldn't find where on the Steam page it mentions DRM -- can anyone confirm it's only Steam DRM? I seem to recall myself specifically avoiding the retail version because it had one of the nastier schemes (Starforce, though maybe that was only the UK version).

Blizzard

Banned
HELP! Has anyone tried Call of Cthulhu on Vista or Windows 7? I have an ATI 4850 with recent drivers, and I'm seeing this even in Vista compatibility mode (note the "pyramids" midair):

16m3u5y.jpg

Or is that normal? I think the program didn't run at all in XP compatibility mode. Also, I think there may have been some other slight visual artifacts, like a car door that was slightly transparent.

And finally, this thing KILLS my graphics card at 1680x1050. I turned the AA down to 2x, but I still have to keep the fan really high.

Ghostbuster's is downloading! :D

Thanks again K.Jack.

So to any UK folk after the game, the gifting trick absolutely works with the game. It only cost me £20 as well, excellent indeed.

Oh and K. Jack if you do pick up Dark Sector let me know if the widescreen support has been fixed, apparently the game would render natively in any resolution just fine but gave you a stretched 4:3 aspect ratio no matter what resolution you chose.

FirewalkR

So, just to be clear, the best thing to buy is "The Elder Scrolls ® Game of the Year Pack Deluxe" amirite? Even though I already have one or two copies of Morrowind (gfx cards ahoy) and the PC CE and PS3 versions of Oblivion.

Oh shit, best deal in gaming history, right here:

http://www.g2play.net/store/Counter-Strike-1.6-8-GAMES-Steam-Key.html

For 5 Euros you get:

1. Counter-Strike 1.6
2. Counter-Strike Steamworks Beta
3. Half-Life
4. Day of Defeat
5. Deathmatch Classic
6. Half-Life: Blue Shift
7. Opposing Force
8. Ricochet
9. Team Fortress Classic

Bought a few Steam keys from these guys (including this one), they work great and you can pay through Paypal. Offer ends Sunday.

brain_stew said:

For 5 Euros you get:

1. Counter-Strike 1.6
3. Half-Life
4. Day of Defeat
5. Deathmatch Classic
7. Opposing Force
8. Ricochet
9. Team Fortress Classic

Bought a few Steam keys from these guys (including this one), they work great and you can pay through Paypal. Offer ends Sunday.

You register a unique account on the game producer´s website. The registered account along with the key provided by us enables you to download the game 100% legit from the producer´s servers. The download is not limited in anyway: You may re-download the game on any PC without any time or other restrictions unless described else in the game description. There are no known territory limitations for key activation unless mentioned otherwise on the product page.

Is this saying I can't use my regular Steam account? I have to create a new one? How does this work?

gregor7777 said:
Is this saying I can't use my regular Steam account? I have to create a new one? How does this work?

No, that's for people that have never used Steam. You simply enter in the code whilst logged into Steam and you'll then have all 9 games added to your account. I've bought around half a dozen things from these guys now (including this pack back when it cost twice as much), all worked flawlessly.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
brain_stew said:
Oh and K. Jack if you do pick up Dark Sector let me know if the widescreen support has been fixed, apparently the game would render natively in any resolution just fine but gave you a stretched 4:3 aspect ratio no matter what resolution you chose.
Downloading now. I'll know in about 2.5 hours.

Oreoleo

Looks like they caught the price discrepancy with Oblivion/Morrowind. GOTY Deluxe pack is $28.19 as opposed to the $25.19 it was at yesterday.

Mrbob said:

Hm, that Morroblivion is interesting. I'll probably buckle before the end of the week and buy the pack.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Costanza said:
what are the absolutely essential mods for Morrowind?
You're not going to get any replies for a while it seems. :lol

At least the threads aren't moving off the first page as fast as they usually do...

Zzoram

Costanza said:

Morrowind without mods was an awesome game. I don't see why people clamour for mods so much. I played Morrowind and both expansions without mods, and Oblivion most of the way without any mods (eventually got an interface one that made inventory icons smaller so you could see more items at a time).

They are great games already. Mods are more for the 2nd time around, to change things up more.

Zzoram

Orellio said:
Looks like they caught the price discrepancy with Oblivion/Morrowind. GOTY Deluxe pack is $28.19 as opposed to the $25.19 it was at yesterday.

Hm, that Morroblivion is interesting. I'll probably buckle before the end of the week and buy the pack.

I always saw it listed as $28.19

Costanza

Banned
Zzoram said:
Morrowind without mods was an awesome game. I don't see why people clamour for mods so much. I played Morrowind and both expansions without mods, and Oblivion most of the way without any mods (eventually got an interface one that made inventory icons smaller so you could see more items at a time).

They are great games already. Mods are more for the 2nd time around, to change things up more.
I just want it to look better, really. I downloaded Morrowind Graphics Extender but it won't install, ugh

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Did they ever patch oblivion to work correctly with the 360 controller?

Zzoram

Wait, the Steam page description for Oblivion GOTY Deluxe no longer mentions the DLC. In fact, it has the exact same description as the regular GOTY (Shivering Isles + Knights of the Nine). I am sure that Deluxe still has the DLC, but why isn't it mentioned?

Erudite

Costanza said:
I thought this Rock Paper Shotgun article outlined pretty much all I'd really want out of mods for Morrowind
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/17/a-fool-in-morrowind-precis/
Better Bodies – which, primarily, adds joints to the game’s otherwise rigid torsos, and some nicer textures for people whose clothes you’ve nicked. There’s a choice of whether to leave them totally nude or with some tasteful underwear. I’ve gone for the latter, because I’m afraid of sex.

Better Heads – Those blurry porridge-faces get a bit of sprucing up. Also applies to the player models, not that you get to see your own face outside of the tutorial (I don’t think?)

Morrowind Comes Alive – This is a good’un. It throws in a crapton of wandering NPCs into the world, so it’s not the underpopulated robo-land it is out of the box.

The Wilderness Mod
– Similar to the above, but with angry animals. This means I’m probably going to get attacked by a tiger eventually.

Giants Ultimate – Introduces a load of mythic-esque foes to Morrowind, including dragons, golems and, er, mechanical wasps. More stuff to hit, basically.

Real Signposts – Crisp signpost textures get me hard.

And the Morrowind Visual Pack, an omni-mod of high resolution textures that smarten things up no end. I remember trying this (or something like it) a few years ago, and my poor PC fell over in panic. It’s entirely untroubled now, bless it.

So, before I get going on this in earnest, any others you lot reckon are a must-have?

Oh, and my character is a Water Nymph (a new race one of the mods seems to have thrown in) with, for some reason, the face of a flea. He is called Loaf, and is stabby and a bit thiefy. He can also walk on water.

Blizzard

Banned
I found the Call of Cthulhu forums, and apparently one or two other people had some problems with the "diamond" raindrops and ATI cards...I hope this isn't something that never works on ATI cards, but it looks like it might be that way since it's not a very well-known game. =(

Blizzard

Banned
HELP!!! D: I was changing the compatibility settings for Call of Cthulhu, and somehow Windows 7 thought that Steam itself needed a compatibility fix. None of my shortcuts to run Steam, nor Steam.exe, nor any of the other Steam-related .exe files in the Steam folder have compatibility mode set, but no matter how I run it, Steam complains that it's running in compatibility mode. Does anyone know how to fix this?

WTF is wrong with the Morrowind/Oblivion prices, all of a sudden prices have doubled for me. Yesterday the Oblivion Deluxe edition I was interested in was 15€, now it's over 31€. This is pissing me off so much. Valve only seems to employ monkeys for steam.

Action Jackson said:
WTF is wrong with the Morrowind/Oblivion prices, all of a sudden prices have doubled for me. Yesterday the Oblivion Deluxe edition I was interested in was 15€, now it's over 31€. This is pissing me off so much. Valve only seems to employ monkeys for steam.

Oh fuck, shit, crap.

Same here in the UK, I was going to buy this yesterday but didn't bother because the sale was suppose to last all week, what the hell is this crap?

brain_stew said:
Oh fuck, shit, crap.

Same here in the UK, I was going to buy this yesterday but didn't bother because the sale was suppose to last all week, what the hell is this crap?

Same here, I too held off for another day.

I mean when it says 20% off, deal lasts for a week, is it really too much to ask to honor what you have advertised?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I have basic DSL so downloading Oblivion GotY Deluxe edition is going to take a good long time, so has anyone else purchased and finished downloading it yet? I'm curious as to what's going on with the extra "Deluxe" DLC. It seems that although my confirmation email says I bought the Deluxe edition, it only shows the GotY edition in the My Games list.

Edit: And damn but I finally had good timing on something. I purchased it just this morning, and noticed like the rest of you now that the price has gone up around $10. Usually I'm on the other end of the deal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Costanza said:
I just want it to look better, really. I downloaded Morrowind Graphics Extender but it won't install, ugh

Does that include Morrowind Visual Pack, Morrowind Visual Pack Update, & Morrowind Visual Pack XT? Those should help a lot. There's a ton of mods here, though it is easy to be overwhelmed.

Edit: Actually this is a pretty decent guide/thread to check out if you want some tips on playing the game without many spoilers.

These are the games coming to Steam:
Armored Fist 3, Comanche 4, Delta Force, Delta Force 2, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down - Team Sabre, Delta Force: Land Warrior, Delta Force: Task Force Dagger, Delta Force: Xtreme, Delta Force: Xtreme 2, F-16 Multirole Fighter, F-22 Lightning 3, Joint Operations: Escalation, Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising, MiG-29 Fulcrum, Tachyon: The Fringe

Zachack

That's great but what does Sega have to do with NWN2?

Also no voxel Comanche? Kinda interested in seeing how the old DF games look but I have a feeling the experience will be JAGGED.

So I have this weird problem where Oblivion won't let me save. It still auto-saves but when i go to click save it doesn't actually make any saves. All that's there is the auto-saves that the game makes. Any ideas?

Oreoleo

Action Jackson said:

Wow, that is incredibly shitty. Price for GOTY Deluxe pack definitely went up $10 overnight. That's after it was increased by $3 the day before. Looks like I won't be buying this anytime soon after all.

vertopci

Guess sales were really good, so they bumped up the price or something.

Hopefully this means we get the previous TES games on steam as well. I'd love to have a version of TES2 that doesn't require dosbox to run correctly :D

brain_stew said:

For 5 Euros you get:

1. Counter-Strike 1.6
3. Half-Life
4. Day of Defeat
5. Deathmatch Classic
7. Opposing Force
8. Ricochet
9. Team Fortress Classic

I've never heard of CS Steamworks Beta, is that new or has it been known for a while? I never follow CS news.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Terrible pricing on novalogic's library. No package deals, and stuff from *1998* like Mig-29 and Delta Force 1 is $9 a pop.

Blizzard

Banned
Things have gone from bad to worse on Steam. Now Left 4 Dead cranks the temperature up to near 80C in a WINDOW. I even tried turning effects down to high from very high. That's with the fan at 68%, which is -very- loud. Plus graphics don't feel super smooth even with high framerates.

And since my total reinstall of Steam, I don't have a "View game info" option on the right click friends menu. WHAT THE HECK. *edit* Restarting Steam fixed that issue...I need to get some compressed air or something though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom