• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

careful said:
I hope the weekend deal sucks this week, because I've already spent way too much this month.. :p
When I finish playing TF2 tonight I got one of those steam announcements saying that Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection was on sale this weekend for $16 but I'm not completely sure if it's the weekend deal or just a deal that's happening this weekend independently of the weekend deal.

Tim-E

Blizzard said:
Things have gone from bad to worse on Steam. Now Left 4 Dead cranks the temperature up to near 80C in a WINDOW. I even tried turning effects down to high from very high. That's with the fan at 68%, which is -very- loud. Plus graphics don't feel super smooth even with high framerates.

How is that Steams fault?

Blizzard said:
Things have gone from bad to worse on Steam. Now Left 4 Dead cranks the temperature up to near 80C in a WINDOW. I even tried turning effects down to high from very high. That's with the fan at 68%, which is -very- loud. Plus graphics don't feel super smooth even with high framerates.

And since my total reinstall of Steam, I don't have a "View game info" option on the right click friends menu. WHAT THE HECK. *edit* Restarting Steam fixed that issue...I need to get some compressed air or something though.

Not Steam's fault that ATI has terribad cooling on one of their more popular cards.

Baha

Steam Weekend deal:

Empire: Total War $24.99 - 50% off ($49.99 reg)
Empire: Total War Special Forces Edition $34.99 - 50% off ($69.99)

Baha said:
Steam Weekend deal:

Empire: Total War $24.99 - 50% off ($49.99 reg)
Empire: Total War Special Forces Edition $34.99 - 50% off ($69.99)
Here I planned on saving and not buying any games this month. Well played Steam you glorious son of a bitch. Hook, line, and sinker.

Zzoram

Ken Masters said:
Why the hell did I pass on that 24.99 COD:WOW deal, any chance it ever comes back?

Boxing week it probably will, or at least something close. Boxing week, everything on Steam is on sale 10-95%.

Zachack said:
Arghh... that's how I got burned on Empire TW. But free is so tempting.

Also, what does Sega have to do with NWN2?

I don't know why you are so stuck on that issue. All I know is that my buddy who continually gives me the latest news told me that Sega gave the green light.

Zachack

LovingSteam said:
I don't know why you are so stuck on that issue. All I know is that my buddy who continually gives me the latest news told me that Sega gave the green light.
Because the NWN2 pile is something I want but there's no reason that I'm aware of why Sega, rather than Atari, would be holding up its release on Steam.

For comparison, it would be like you posting "EA has given the go ahead for Starcraft 2 to be released on battle.net".

75266743.jpg

vazel

Banned
I would jump on that total war game but reading how retarded the AI is sucks. Creative Assembly still has to top their second Total War game Medieval: Total War.

Zachack said:
Because the NWN2 pile is something I want but there's no reason that I'm aware of why Sega, rather than Atari, would be holding up its release on Steam.

For comparison, it would be like you posting "EA has given the go ahead for Starcraft 2 to be released on battle.net".

Ahh sorry, yes it was Atari. My bad.

Steam Client Beta Available
There is a new Steam Client Beta Available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings, and on the Account tab will be a drop down. Select Steam Client Candidate, and then allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

- Fixed a crash when clicking on very long URLs in friends chat
- Fixed the in-game overlay not showing over some D3D9 games that set a texture as the render target
- Fixed a case where the overlay could go temporarily unresponsive due to using a skin that generated bad geometry
- Fixed some cases of trying to send data to Steam servers while disconnected
- Improvements to Steam startup performance

6/18/2009

- Fixed chats in the overlay which have existing text from out-of-game not scrolling to the bottom by default

The startup improvement is pretty nice.

Zachack

Chinner said:
so is total war good then?
No one is actually sure but the correct answer is "probably after Monday, and it's a great price in that case". When the game works the way it's supposed to it's pretty awesome... but at launch good luck getting that. There have been a few big patches so far (fixing major stability issues) and this one is supposed to be the final big fix patch.
Anyword on if it's using the same DRM as the retail release?
On this topic, is there a way to easily figure out the type/existence of DRM? I asked earlier about Ghostbusters and Riddick, and while Riddick appears to have some sort of non-Steam activation thing (and is therefore a pass), Ghostbusters doesn't say anything on product info (and the forums, at that time, were mostly empty).

Zzoram

Zachack said:
No one is actually sure but the correct answer is "probably after Monday, and it's a great price in that case". When the game works the way it's supposed to it's pretty awesome... but at launch good luck getting that. There have been a few big patches so far (fixing major stability issues) and this one is supposed to be the final big fix patch.

On this topic, is there a way to easily figure out the type/existence of DRM? I asked earlier about Ghostbusters and Riddick, and while Riddick appears to have some sort of non-Steam activation thing (and is therefore a pass), Ghostbusters doesn't say anything on product info (and the forums, at that time, were mostly empty).

Usually if a game uses 3rd party DRM, it shows up in the Steam page.

I just had a thought: is Steam's habit of having awesome sales costing them some normal sales? I've been (inexplicably) holding off on purchasing Mass Effect at the already awesome price of $20 for some vain hope that they'll offer it for $10 one of these weekends. :lol

Zzoram

Blast Processing said:
I just had a thought: is Steam's habit of having awesome sales costing them some normal sales? I've been (inexplicably) holding off on purchasing Mass Effect at the already awesome price of $20 for some vain hope that they'll offer it for $10 one of these weekends. :lol

Maybe so, but the sales spur people to impulse buy when they never would. If you want something badly enough, you're probably willing to pay the extra $10-20 for the game to get it right away.

MNC

Blizzard said:
I made the mistake of getting Call of Cthulhu (mistake since it's probably terrifying). :lol I couldn't find where on the Steam page it mentions DRM -- can anyone confirm it's only Steam DRM? I seem to recall myself specifically avoiding the retail version because it had one of the nastier schemes (Starforce, though maybe that was only the UK version).
Can you give gameplay impressions of you can get it to work?

vazel

Banned
Blast Processing said:
I think I'm going to make waiting for the Christmas sale a yearly thing.

Blizzard

Banned
Tim-E said:
How is that Steams fault?
I'm a moron, I didn't mean it to sound that way. Valve games were acting kinda weird, but I don't know if it's Valve's fault or not.

My problem was that the clean reinstall of Steam didn't seem to go smoothly, plus I had to beat up Windows 7 to make it stop doing the compatibility thing invisibly. Things are finally looking normal now, though.

As for the weekend deal, I'm so torn! $25 is a good deal for a $50 recent game, and it looks really pretty. I played the demo. Unfortunately, I'm really bad at that sort of game, and I prefer turn-based strategy...I'll probably give in and buy it anyway!

I have a question though! Call of Juarez 2 preorders get Call of Juarez 1 for free. Does anyone know if they're both using the Steam DRM? I forget what DRM the earlier one used but I thought it was one of the games on my "beware" list.

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
Can you give gameplay impressions of you can get it to work?
I may play it despite the raindrop problem. :( Anyway, I'll let you know if/when I play it. Or do you need to know in the next few days so you can take advantage of the sale?

Also, I don't see any 3rd-party DRM note on the two Juarez pages, so I may blow the $50 for that. >____> The one crucial question remaining: Call of Juarez 1 -is- the game that features the Bible-toting preacher, correct?

And the smoke, from their TORMENT, goeth up forever...and ever...and ever.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zzoram said:
Processor: Pentium 4.3 GHz or comparable (dual core recommended)

:lol Such a typo, clearly they mean Pentium 4 3GHz, I doubt the original Pentium could even approach 1GHz.
Ding ding ding, you are correct:

The Intel Pentium family
Produced: From 1993 to 1999
Common manufacturer(s): Intel
Max. CPU clock: 60 MHz to 300 MHz
FSB speeds: 50 to 66

This confirmation was brought to you by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium

vazel

Banned
There is a new line of Pentium CPUs that are dual core. They're stripped down Core 2 Duos with lower cache and no sse4. Maybe the 4.3Ghz is both core's speeds combined. But yea most likely typo.

drizzle said:
Ding ding ding, you are correct:

The Intel Pentium family
Produced: From 1993 to 1999
Common manufacturer(s): Intel
Max. CPU clock: 60 MHz to 300 MHz
FSB speeds: 50 to 66

This confirmation was brought to you by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium
I remember back in 1992 or 1993 my cousin telling me how amazing the Pentium was going to be and how it was going to blow the 486 out of the water (he said "Pentium is what they're calling the 586"). I was pumped. I don't think I actually got one until 1995 but even by that point it was still super exciting when I did.

MNC

Blizzard said:
I may play it despite the raindrop problem. :( Anyway, I'll let you know if/when I play it. Or do you need to know in the next few days so you can take advantage of the sale?

Also, I don't see any 3rd-party DRM note on the two Juarez pages, so I may blow the $50 for that. >____> The one crucial question remaining: Call of Juarez 1 -is- the game that features the Bible-toting preacher, correct?

And the smoke, from their TORMENT, goeth up forever...and ever...and ever.
Any day will be fine, after all the recent stuff I bought even 16 bucks is welcome to STAY in my wallet :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
vazel said:
There is a new line of Pentium CPUs that are dual core. They're stripped down Core 2 Duos with lower cache and no sse4. Maybe the 4.3Ghz is both core's speeds combined. But yea most likely typo.
You mean the Pentium Dual-Core? They've been around since 2006. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Dual-Core).

Please don't misunderstand this as a the Pentium-D, they've been around for longer.

I'm pretty sure it was just a typo. Anyway, thanks for the original poster who pointed that mistake and made me go to wikipedia to look for Pentium's max clock. Now i'll waste hours reading up on i7s and Phenon IIs... :p

Back on topic, steam is awesome.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Total War is so close to being one of the greatest games this year. I'm really pulling for this next big patch people are talking about.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
RE: Dark Sector

So, FYI, you do indeed lose a bit of FOV when using widescreen resolutions. It feels like an improvement to me, but that's just my judgement.

It's worth the $9.99 so far. It looks pretty dang good as well. I get a constant 60fps on my notebook.

This may have been answered already, but does anyone know how to get Morrowind into widescreen with the steam version? Since the registry key is different from what the app is looking for, the Morrowind FPS optimizer that normally does the trick isn't working as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom