• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So I've got a question; has Valve said anything about their prices? I mean for me, a european from a smaller nation, buying a new game at full price through steam will cost like 10 euros more than actually buying the game in a store.

ItsInMyVeins said:
So I've got a question; has Valve said anything about their prices? I mean for me, a european from a smaller nation, buying a new game at full price through steam will cost like 10 euros more than actually buying the game in a store.

They never do.

Zzoram

ItsInMyVeins said:

Whatever company that acts as the local publisher for the game sets the MSRP on Steam.

Polk

ItsInMyVeins said:
Don't you know anyone in UK? I mean, Empire Total War costs Ł15 or 25 euro. That's 10 euro difference. And that's the situation with almost every game there.

banKai said:
just joined the steam client beta and saw the "counterstrike 1.6 beta". what is this exactly?

This is what I found on the Steam forums:

We have a beta update available for Counter-Strike 1.6, to get this beta run the hldsupdatetool with "-beta cs0616" on the command line.

This beta include just a few tweaks since the last release, including:

- Added -sys_ticrate command line option to allowed forced override of ticrate

CS 1.6
- Added -nobots option to allow forced override of bots on servers

The goods store was updated with TF2 gear, this tee I want.

Do valve post items abroad for a fair price? the official Bungie store were asking more for postage then two tee shirts prices added together! rip off if you are outside America.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Diablohead said:
The goods store was updated with TF2 gear, this tee I want.

Do valve post items abroad for a fair price? the official Bungie store were asking more for postage then two tee shirts prices added together! rip off if you are outside America.

Is that really too bad? I had to order my arcade stick parts from germany, and paid shipping costs equal to the goods cost

2q8sr6f.png

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Quick question about Oblivion, kind of the same kind of question one would ask about early on in Fallout 3. Where can I stash my stuff? I rescued Battlehorn Castle from the "siege" of like four marauders, so it's mine, but I can't find any containers anywhere. I'm reluctant to just throw my stuff on the ground, even in what appear to be my own private quarters.

Red

DarthWoo said:
Quick question about Oblivion, kind of the same kind of question one would ask about early on in Fallout 3. Where can I stash my stuff? I rescued Battlehorn Castle from the "siege" of like four marauders, so it's mine, but I can't find any containers anywhere. I'm reluctant to just throw my stuff on the ground, even in what appear to be my own private quarters.
Should be safe on the ground as long as you own the building. I know I stashed all my loot in the thieves' guild all over the floor (playing on X Box). Got to the point where the game would crash whenever I entered the room because of all the crap on screen.

bistromathics said:
Is that really too bad? I had to order my arcade stick parts from germany, and paid shipping costs equal to the goods cost

2q8sr6f.png
Don't know about now but Bungie store use to ask for like the minimum of $35 to send anything to the UK, even a lightweight tee :(

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, I just did the Call of Juarez 2 preorder, and I started Call of Juarez 1 for the first time.

I am honestly...blown away. I played Crysis Warhead and I've seen tons of Crysis screenshots and unplayable-quality screenshots, but this game looks REALLY freaking good. I don't even have everything cranked up, and I'm going to have to turn stuff down. Anti-aliasing is only 2x and I'm doing bilinear or trilinear filtering. There's not motion blur as far as I know. My 4850 is getting to really unsafe temperatures, and I'm scared for my CPU/motherboard/memory, so I might not play until I get a better cooler, but even so, the framerate barely ever even stuttered.

Oh, and I'm playing the DX10 version on 64-bit Windows 7 beta, since I haven't installed the RC yet.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures since it doesn't seem to include a screenshot button, and print screen doesn't work. I'll have to use Fraps or write my own screenshot utility, I suppose.

Maybe it's just late at night and I'm deceived by high-resolution textures, but honestly, the whole atmosphere, scope, smoothness, sound (the MUSIC! the birds!), environment (the BUTTERFLY that just flew past me), flowers, clover leaves, etc. is amazing. The scope of mountains and a town in the distance is nice, and I don't think I noticed a single instance of pop-in, or texture resolution changing in an abrupt fashion as I got closer. I think I've also heard this game doesn't feature a lot of loading screens, and if that's the case, I'm totally okay with the 1-2 minute load at the start of the map, while the voiceover story plays.

Voice acting as far as I can tell is pretty awesome, for this and the sequel. Clouds move, the sky is bright, shadows under bushes wave as they blow in the breeze.

Minor negatives so far: Bottles breaking in the tutorial didn't seem convincing, I'm not sure there was a very satisfying glass sound. :p It would be nice if there was a run button. The waterfall near the beginning doesn't look very realistic though that might be a graphical glitch on my system? It looks like little pee-colored water droplet sprays falling down the rocks. I guess bushes also don't really stir much as you go through them. I can't remember if there's a sound for you making your way through them, but at least they don't get in your way. I've only moved one box, but I have a feeling it's the Half-life 2 "massless box" style of moving things around. All of these things might be considered negatives, but they don't really bother me that much. Your mileage may vary.

I'm sure there will be problems, but overall, I think I'm really going to enjoy this, and I'm kind of shocked that I haven't seen this game show up in the high-res PC thread. If I get screenshot capabilities going, I'll try to put some there myself.

*itsbeautifulcat.jpg*

Polk

Blizzard said:
Okay, I just did the Call of Juarez 2 preorder, and I started Call of Juarez 1 for the first time.

I am honestly...blown away. I played Crysis Warhead and I've seen tons of Crysis screenshots and unplayable-quality screenshots, but this game looks REALLY freaking good. I don't even have everything cranked up, and I'm going to have to turn stuff down. Anti-aliasing is only 2x and I'm doing bilinear or trilinear filtering. There's not motion blur as far as I know. My 4850 is getting to really unsafe temperatures, and I'm scared for my CPU/motherboard/memory, so I might not play until I get a better cooler, but even so, the framerate barely ever even stuttered.
True. Techland made very good engine, and flexible (they've made also racing games on that). Game itself is good too, apart from some aful platforming elements. And THB 360 version looks good as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Evil Genius is Now on Steam
June 22, 2009, 2:49 pm - Valve - Product Release
Everybody wants to rule the world!

Achieve global power with Evil Genius, the one and only complete world domination simulator. All the everyday tasks of the deliciously wicked mastermind are available to experience and master from building your ultra-secret base to developing spectacular super-weapons to carry out your nefarious master plan. How evil are you?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Oh, wow. How much? I was always kind of curious to check this one out. Read about it years ago, but entirely forgot a few months later.

Doytch

Haha, sweet. I loved Evil Genius, but don't have my copy anymore. I'll probably pick it up on a rainy day sometime in the future. :D

Zzoram

I played Evil Genius at a friend's house years ago, and loved it. It's too bad the developer went broke and never got to make a sequel. I hope that sales of this game are strong on Steam, and rekindle interest in the franchise by potential publishers.

Soule said:
Hmm that Novint Falcon thing looks awesome as, pity i'm not willing to fork out the money for it.

i'm not sure it seems kind of suspect. How do you pick up the cursor to keep spinning in one direction? I didn't get a good indication of that while watching it on youtube. Also seems like your arm would get tired after a couple hours

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow, Trine looks awesome.

Coming to PSN as well? From the video, I can't tell if mouse or controller is a better interface... looks like there are both platformer elements and precision mouse elements...

Zzoram

Shard said:
Does he know if Lucasarts is decidedly coming to Steam yet?

I thought they already announced that The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition Remake was coming to Steam along with Tales of Monkey Island.

FlyinJ said:
Wow, Trine looks awesome.

Coming to PSN as well? From the video, I can't tell if mouse or controller is a better interface... looks like there are both platformer elements and precision mouse elements...

Saturn pad in one hand plus Logitech mouse (with its multitude of extra buttons) in the other looks liek the solution I'd want to use. Best of both worlds.

Heck, a Wiinmote + nunchuck setup should work great.

Erudite

Zeno Clash Free DLC + 50% off Sale this weekend
ACE Team today announced that free content for its unique first-person action title Zeno Clash will be released this weekend, alongside a half-off sale of the downloadable game.
The content, titled "The Pit," will contain three combat-intensive challenge levels "where gravity is the enemy and taking a wrong step can be fatal." The challenges, said to feature "destructible floors and traps," will be supported with leaderboards and achievements.

To mark the occasion, the game will be reduced from its current price of $20 to a very affordable $10 on Steam.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59273
Trailer for the DLC included in the link.

Psy-Phi

ElectricBlue187 said:
i'm not sure it seems kind of suspect. How do you pick up the cursor to keep spinning in one direction? I didn't get a good indication of that while watching it on youtube. Also seems like your arm would get tired after a couple hours

Works like a Joystick boss. No need to pick it up. Just move it to the left and it keeps going left. The further to the left you go the faster left you'll spin.

You shouldn't be playing games for more than 30 minutes without some kind of break so far as ergonomic suggestions go (30 minute game, 2 minute break). So that shouldn't be an issue ;).

I know most of us can play for hours upon hours but if your arm is getting tired...take a break for 20 minutes and come back.

I won't be getting that POS anyway. It's novel surely, but I wouldn't want to play my shooters with it. If I really want Force Feedback I'll get a regular force feedback joystick that I can use "normally" for flying games.

I forgot to mention after I purchased Total War, this is the first game that has actually taxed my PC when using full settings. This is coming from someone who can run games like UT3, Bioshock, and Crysis on high settings. It's worth it though because Total War looks freaking stunning.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zzoram said:
I thought they already announced that The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition Remake was coming to Steam along with Tales of Monkey Island.

Suspected by apparently Lucasarts is working some things out on the PC DDS side of things.

Mrbob

What is the consensus on Zeno Clash?

I remember it being half price before release but didn't want to take a chance. Now that more people got ahold of it how is the game?

Mrbob said:

I remember it being half price before release but didn't want to take a chance. Now that more people got ahold of it how is the game?
It's really cool. Very imaginative and clever, and I thought the combat mechanics were fun.

Psy-Phi

Zeno Clash is pretty cool, very interesting if you like bizarre worlds and strange stories. I would kind of liken it to Beatdown on the Xbox, except a bit more refined and quite a bit shorter. Almost all fisticuffs, a few rudimentary weapons, an intriguing plot, and quite visceral combat. It was fun, and the story is what kept me coming back to see what was going to happen next.

I must say though that the allure of the world is what kept me playing more than the actual gameplay itself. I wanted to see more of this strange place. Worth 20 bucks? Eh...tough to say, as I said depends on if you like the bizarre and strange (unique?). If you enjoyed the combat in Mirror's Edge, or Beatdown, it's more or less more of the same, although I'd say it is slightly better than both in the realm of combat (some of the moves feel downright deadly) and you're certainly nowhere near as vulnerable as Faith in Mirror's Edge. Had a few targetting issues when I played, but that was before the patches. It's nothing more than a one time through and done game for me, and it was maybe 5 hours long, and got a little repetitive near the end. But all in all I really enjoyed the experience.

it is one of the few games that does first person hand to hand combat justice though (the others I can think of I named). Makes me want to see more of this type of game.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:

"This game will make you forget the misery that comes with being a Cubs fan"
-IGN.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom