• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
Ah, the weird artwork melee game. Cool that they're taking the free DLC + sale approach of TF2.

They really know how to generate hype and buzz for their game, they've really embraced the community and digital distrinution and it looks to be working wonders for them. Great to see.

zbarron

Traced-Velocity said:
For those on the fence on Zeno Clash, they released a demo awhile back

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22220/

Haven't checked it out myself, so not to sure if it represents the game well or not
This is one thing I do not like about Steam. I can't download and try demos of games I already own. I would like to be able to tell friends how closely a demo represents a final game.

dLMN8R

I got Zeno Clash during the $10 pre-order sale, but I'd have happily paid $20 for it. Loved that game, glad to see it getting more content.

Kinda silly for them to announce the sale before it actually starts though :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So, uh...

Is it just me, or does it look like Trine belongs more on the Wii than the PS3?

Oh, not graphically of course, but doesn't the platforming + pointer gameplay look like something you'd like to see on Wii? Reminds me of Lost Winds.

Psy-Phi

I say buy Zeno Clash this weekend since it will be half off, and get Trine whenever that comes too ;). At 10 bucks I have to suggest Zeno Clash...it's definitley worth that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I feel like making my first DD purchase on Steam ever this week.... I keep pushing them off every time I decide to do it.

I'm considering, Killing Floor or Zeno Clash/Audiosurf. Any other recommendations would be lovely. Specifically on the small stuff.

Also a few questions, Is there list of retail games that include Steam Activation?

Really looking forward to Trine. Frozenbyte's earlier Shadowgrounds games are two of my favorite straight up action games I've played on my PC in the last five years. Very high quality, woefully underrated stuff.

Slacker

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks: I hated the art style of Zeno Clash. I was so uncharmed I didn't make it through 10 minutes of the demo.

shintoki said:
Any other recommendations would be lovely. Specifically on the small stuff.
Plants vs Zombies. You can play it for an hour for free, but keep your wallet handy. It's addictive as HELL and you will buy it when the hour is up. There's a lot to do, too. I've gotten a ton of gameplay for my ten bucks with that one.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Buddy just confirmed that Tales of Monkey Island will be coming to Steam.
Sweet, do you recommend playing the original first? I don't even know where I'd get it...the only old LucasArts games I've played are X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and the Secret of Atlantis (or whatever it was called).

Grayman

shintoki said:
I feel like making my first DD purchase on Steam ever this week.... I keep pushing them off every time I decide to do it.

I'm considering, Killing Floor or Zeno Clash/Audiosurf. Any other recommendations would be lovely. Specifically on the small stuff.

Also a few questions, Is there list of retail games that include Steam Activation?
Audiosurf is awesome if you want a pick up and play game that you can enjoy endlessly, i haven't played the other 2.

drkOne

shintoki said:

Audiosurf is a must have.

I didn't really like Zeno Clash, I don't really know why because normally I'd be all over the art style, but I guess it just didn't clicked with this one. Gameplay seemed nice though.

Try Plants vs Zombies and Yosumin demos. Also, probably wait for Trine and see if it comes out with a demo.

Blizzard said:
Sweet, do you recommend playing the original first? I don't even know where I'd get it...the only old LucasArts games I've played are X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and the Secret of Atlantis (or whatever it was called).
The first two Monkey Island games are the best in the series as far as I'm concerned (and probably will remain so for pretty much ever), and the second in particular is one of my favorite adventure games of all time. I would say they're absolutely worth playing first, particularly because I'm of the opinion it's better to have your first impression of Monkey Island be the original one. Otherwise it's kind of like how when you see a film adaptation before reading the book, your impression is always going to be colored by the later work, which then makes the original harder to fully appreciate.

Volcynika

drkOne said:
Audiosurf is a must have.

I didn't really like Zeno Clash, I don't really know why because normally I'd be all over the art style, but I guess it just didn't clicked with this one. Gameplay seemed nice though.

Try Plants vs Zombies and Yosumin demos. Also, probably wait for Trine and see if it comes out with a demo.

Trine demo came out today! :eek:

epmode

Chris Remo said:
The first two Monkey Island games are the best in the series as far as I'm concerned (and probably will remain so for pretty much ever), and the second in particular is one of my favorite adventure games of all time.
I'd put Curse right up with the other two, even if it kind of threw away the ending from 2 (which was one of the more brilliant videogame twists ever).

epmode said:
I'd put Curse right up with the other two, even if it kind of threw away the ending from 2 (which was one of the more brilliant videogame twists ever).
I think Curse of Monkey Island is a great game, it's just very, very different in tone to the original games, so much so that it feels sort of separate in my mind. Definitely worth playing, it's just not as "definitive" as the first two to me.

And yeah, the ending to 2 is one of my favorite endings to any video game ever. God it's so awesome.

shintoki said:

Killing Floor is awesome.

Chris Remo said:
I think Curse of Monkey Island is a great game, it's just very, very different in tone to the original games, so much so that it feels sort of separate in my mind. Definitely worth playing, it's just not as "definitive" as the first two to me.

And yeah, the ending to 2 is one of my favorite endings to any video game ever. God it's so awesome.

Well Gilbert left and it was made by some people from Full Throttle, like the one after that was made by people from Grim Fandango (I think). I only recently found out that there was, on some level, a plan in Gilbert's mind for the third game. Now that I know there was a plan I'll spend forever wondering what it was.

Speaking of Ron Gilbert and Monkey Island I'm not sure if this has been linked on GAF and this certainly isn't the place to do it but: http://grumpygamer.com/8280380

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn, i downloaded Zeno Clash Demo, so i could see wtf the game was all about and i'm floored.

The game looks and feels awesome.. Damn steam... another 10 bucks..

mensola

Banned
I don't know if this is the right place, so in case....sorry in advance.

Here's the question:

I've my staem account operating on my desktop and on my laptop. I'm online 24/7 with wifi router/modem.
No problem using the same account (and games) on laptop or desktop

Now i'm planning to buy a game laptop and leave it in my "weekend, winter and summer vacation house".

I'll use the wi-fi of a nearby hotel, so a different IP. I'll get problem with steam?

thanks in advance.

Steam will work 100% but you may find that your home pc logs out when you log in at a different IP location, or logging in from another machine in general.

All your games will follow over without problem, but if you want your saves you need to take them with you as they save to the pc (unless it's a mmo or something)

Right now I am posting from my sisters laptop as her house, logged into steam here. Once I go home my pc steam will be logged out.

Flib

Damn, I was hoping that contained HOMM3 and 4.

I just bough Arma II, so I may wait on picking anything else up this weekend.

Too many games, damn you Steam!!

Flib said:
Damn, I was hoping that contained HOMM3 and 4.

I just bough Arma II, so I may wait on picking anything else up this weekend.

Too many games, damn you Steam!!

Is it worth it Flib? the package that is? I am thinking of picking up ARMA 2 as well so I am not sure.

TheExodu5 said:
What's in the pack? Can't check from work. HOMM V and expansions?

Yup. And original Dark Messiah and Magic. Total of 4 games.

Dark Messiah Might and Magic™
Heroes of Might and Magic® V
Heroes of Might and Magic® V: Hammers of Fate
Heroes of Might and Magic® V: Tribes of the East

Flib

Heroes of Might and Magic 5 is decent, but King's Bounty is better if you're looking for that type of game. I haven't played Dark Messiah.

Mrbob

Definitely getting the Heroes 5 pack and Zeno Clash. Weekend deals always sucking my money away. :lol

I saw Tomb Raider Underworld PC for $19.99 at target, but I'm waiting for a steam sale! This is how steam has infected me.

Mrbob said:
Definitely getting the Heroes 5 pack and Zeno Clash. Weekend deals always sucking my money away. :lol

I saw Tomb Raider Underworld PC for $19.99 at target, but I'm waiting for a steam sale! This is how steam has infected me.

Same here regarding Tomb Raider.

Flib said:
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 is decent, but King's Bounty is better if you're looking for that type of game. I haven't played Dark Messiah.

That it is, but unfortunately this POS barely runs it at 20fps :( Heroes V is definitely bought, I need something to scratch that itch.

dionysus

Yaldog
TheExodu5 said:
That absolutely seals the deal for me.

Does it have multiplayer like Heroes 3?

I'll wait for a sale on King's Bounty before I pick that up. At $20 or less, I'll probably get it.

Be sure to check gamersgate every weekend then. They put 1C stuff on sale frequently. King's Bounty has been on sale several times.

TheExodu5

Banned
dionysus said:
Be sure to check gamersgate every weekend then. They put 1C stuff on sale frequently. King's Bounty has been on sale several times.

I missed it last time since I was near my bandwidth cap and didn't want to go over. Not 100% sure if I want to deal with GamersGate after getting Gothik 3 from them though...their download speeds are really, really slow.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
mensola said:
I don't know if this is the right place, so in case....sorry in advance.

Here's the question:

I've my staem account operating on my desktop and on my laptop. I'm online 24/7 with wifi router/modem.
No problem using the same account (and games) on laptop or desktop

Now i'm planning to buy a game laptop and leave it in my "weekend, winter and summer vacation house".

I'll use the wi-fi of a nearby hotel, so a different IP. I'll get problem with steam?

thanks in advance.
You'll have no problems.

Minsc

Gold Member
Peronthious said:
That it is, but unfortunately this POS barely runs it at 20fps :( Heroes V is definitely bought, I need something to scratch that itch.

Kings Bounty runs better than Heroes V on maximum for me, but at $12 Heroes V + both expansions is an absolute steal. If I didn't already own all three games and have beaten them, I'd buy it based on how much I enjoyed 2 & 3, even if I had no interest in it.

Luckily it turned out to be quite the enjoyable game when I gave it a chance. Love seeing the town screens for the first time, and figuring out the best strategies for each race is a lot of fun as well.

Kleevah

LovingSteam said:
Buddy just confirmed that Tales of Monkey Island will be coming to Steam.
Did he say anything about when? Can we expect it at launch or a pre-order (like Wallace & Gromit), or a bundle after the season is complete (like Sam & Max)?

Kleevah said:
Did he say anything about when? Can we expect it at launch or a pre-order (like Wallace & Gromit), or a bundle after the season is complete (like Sam & Max)?

Not sure about that. Most likely it will be at the same time its released elsewhere, one episode at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom