• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psy-Phi

Gotta get the game in stores...60 bucks but comes with a 40 dollar controller...unless the USB ones that get released will be that cheap. Though if I can find out that the USB ones will be available, I may go for it on steam if its less.

b.e.r.g

arstal said:
Impulse is matching Steam's price- with less annoying DRM.
Is Steam an annoying DRM?

Also, many games don't seem to sell outside of US... pity, cause the prices are in dollars, which would have saved me alot...

Just over £26 for SFIV steam, mmmm.

amazon.co.uk are selling the pc version on disc for £17.99. Wonder if steam will allow it's cd key to be used.

arstal said:

Are you sure? It could be a matter of poor wording or my memory just spitting out the wrong information, but I'm fairly certain that Capcom said that Steam would be the only DD store to not use Securom.

b.e.r.g

Diablohead said:
Just over £26 for SFIV steam, mmmm.

amazon.co.uk are selling the pc version on disc for £17.99. Wonder if steam will allow it's cd key to be used.
If Valve with let you use their download servers without them earning a dime? Doubtfully...

I was wrong about the DRM being used for SF on Impulse as it will be using Stardock's own GOO: http://forums.impulsedriven.com/357682 :)

Hopefully we'll see more of this in the future as I'd love to have more options when publishers of DRM-heavy games are willing to remove activation limits if they are replaced by the DD store's own DRM.

SyNapSe

arstal said:

I'm sure I haven't bought anywhere near the amount of games as you guys but what kind of DRM hassles do you see through steam? I've never gifted a game or some functions but I've never noticed the steam DRM.

I've been playing Defense Grid: the awakening (lttp) i know but its really fun, some of the maps in particular where you can really choose the alien path are fun. A map editor for that game would have been killer..

They should release an editor and a few more maps for $10 or something.

markot

Banned
Impulse is crap there I said it!

>_<

Um, but any idea what kind of mp the pc version will see for sf4 >.>?

How does it work on consoles? Can you do random online mp battles and are they fun? (Not laggy and crappy)

Mrbob

I haven't picked up SF4, and the cheap price on the PC is tempting but....

What kind of online community will the PC version of SF4 have? I can't imagine it will be very good....

Speaking of Capcom ports, when is Resident Evil 5 hitting?

Proc

Mrbob said:
I haven't picked up SF4, and the cheap price on the PC is tempting but....

What kind of online community will the PC version of SF4 have? I can't imagine it will be very good....

Speaking of Capcom ports, when is Resident Evil 5 hitting?

The community is indeed worth questioning. However, the port looks promising in terms of performance. I think the low price will attract a decent audience though. I'm glad I bought a 360 arcade stick, since it'll be plug and play.

Proc said:
The community is indeed worth questioning. However, the port looks promising in terms of performance. I think the low price will attract a decent audience though. I'm glad I bought a 360 arcade stick, since it'll be plug and play.
Friends report that GTA IV PC multiplayer isn't fun anymore because of hackers. I don't know if there's a risk to being banned from GWF Live when you can just make a new account. If they are banning people at all. I couldn't even get a full game on the occasions I've tried.

Proc

Visualante said:
Friends report that GTA IV PC multiplayer isn't fun anymore because of hackers. I don't know if there's a risk to being banned from GWF Live when you can just make a new account. If they are banning people at all. I couldn't even get a full game on the occasions I've tried.

Oh interesting...I was under the impression that you could only bind the cd-key to one gfw account.

Kweh

I've just got Counterstrike Source on DVD and installed it and it's appeared in my Steam Games list, but only as pre-load complete. Any idea how I activate it? I have a CD key. When I double click the game it takes me to the CS:S store page.

Doytch

Kweh said:
I've just got Counterstrike Source on DVD and installed it and it's appeared in my Steam Games list, but only as pre-load complete. Any idea how I activate it? I have a CD key. When I double click the game it takes me to the CS:S store page.

Click around the menu on top, I think Games has an "Activate product" or something selection. Sorry, at work, don't know the exact location.

vertopci

Psy-Phi said:
Gotta get the game in stores...60 bucks but comes with a 40 dollar controller...unless the USB ones that get released will be that cheap. Though if I can find out that the USB ones will be available, I may go for it on steam if its less.

What game are you talking about?

b.e.r.g said:
If Valve with let you use their download servers without them earning a dime? Doubtfully...
Believe!

I just checked out the SFIV page and since there is no achievements or steam bonuses i'll at some point buy it on disc and install+link it to steam.

Diablohead said:
Believe!

I just checked out the SFIV page and since there is no achievements or steam bonuses i'll at some point buy it on disc and install+link it to steam.

You mean by adding it as a short cut? Yea. If you mean using your CD game key to register it on Steam, you cannot do that. Only a few games allow that that aren't directly purchased on Steam.

b.e.r.g

LovingSteam said:
You mean by adding it as a short cut? Yea. If you mean using your CD game key to register it on Steam, you cannot do that. Only a few games allow that that aren't directly purchased on Steam.
Yup, and those are all by Valve (afaik), and requires Steam to run in the first place (except the oldies I suppose).

I got several games that's available on Steam as retail, and adding them do Steam does nothing but giving you a shortcut. You can add Word if you want, no difference to Steam.

b.e.r.g said:
Yup, and those are all by Valve (afaik), and requires Steam to run in the first place (except the oldies I suppose).

I got several games that's available on Steam as retail, and adding them do Steam does nothing but giving you a shortcut. You can add Word if you want, no difference to Steam.

There are a few that are not Valve. Such as Dawn of War II, NBA 2K09, UT3, etc...

Bluth54

b.e.r.g said:
What!? Why wasn't I told? The only game on that list I have is UT3, and I already repurchased it on Steam ;_; (damn cheap though)!
They started allowing you to put in UT3 CD keys when the big patch came out.

You could always sell or give away your extra CD key to a friend.

Mrbob said:
Wow, impulse has a fantastic preorder bonus for Red Faction Guerilla:

http://www.impulsedriven.com/rfguerilla

Get Red Faction 1 and 2 for free with preorder. Here is hoping this bonus goes up on steam!

Very cool. I grabbed SFIV from them last night and it's nice to see Impulse increasing their library of popular titles and ramping what they offer in terms of competitive pricing/bonuses.

arstal said:

Steam's DRM isn't annoying at all. Oh no! I have to use Steam to play my games. What ever shall I do? Oh wait. I have a nice little GUI front end that lets me keep track of all my purchased games (also letting me re-download at any time any of the same content, or back it all up to a blank dvd) and it auto updates my games as well? Whoop-Dee-Freekin-Do to their "annoying DRM" as you call it.

Mrbob

Oh and in case you missed the trine pc demo thread, the full version is up in 12 hours according to steam.

I'm torn on whether to get this for PC or wait for the PSN release.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mrbob said:
Wow, impulse has a fantastic preorder bonus for Red Faction Guerilla:

http://www.impulsedriven.com/rfguerilla

Get Red Faction 1 and 2 for free with preorder. Here is hoping this bonus goes up on steam!

Pretty cool I suppose... However if I read that correctly it looks like you won't get access to Red Faction 1 and 2 until Guerilla is released.

Twig

Banned
Zefah said:
Pretty cool I suppose... However if I read that correctly it looks like you won't get access to Red Faction 1 and 2 until Guerilla is released.
You read correctly. This is why I can afford to wait!

I have UT3 from retail added to steam so I was hoping capcom would allow SF also, I understand a lot of games don't allow it but it's nice when they do.

TheExodu5

Banned
What are they charging for RF Guerrila out of curiosity? Haven't payed attention to the game, but GAF hype peaked my interest.

Though, I now know better than to buy into GAF hype, and I also know better to not buy console ports at $50 (if that's the price), so I'll probably wait.

Proc

TheExodu5 said:
What are they charging for RF Guerrila out of curiosity? Haven't payed attention to the game, but GAF hype peaked my interest.

Though, I now know better than to buy into GAF hype, and I also know better to not buy console ports at $50 (if that's the price), so I'll probably wait.

The impulse link above is showing that the game is selling for $39. Seems like it would be worth it at that price.

TheExodu5

Banned
Proc said:
The impulse link above is showing that the game is selling for $39. Seems like it would be worth it at that price.

That's in the territory of "tempting" for me. I'm not sure yet. I'm going to have to look up videos first.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:

I think it is amazing. I wanted to get it on Steam initially, but after hearing it wasn't going to be released until August I went out and got the 360 version last week. I'm glad I did because it is a fantastic game. At $39.99 I will undoubtedly pick it up on the PC as well especially if Steam offers the first two games for free as a pre-order bonus.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TouchMyBox said:
Weekend Deal: Fallout 3 50% off.

($24.99 USD)

I'm in Japan and it is $19.99 down from $39.99. Weird how different regions have different prices even when the same currency is charged.

Costanza

Banned
Is anyone else having problems with their card if you try and buy Fallout? They keep declining it, but I'm positive all the info is right and the money is in there.

wtfff

Costanza said:
Is anyone else having problems with their card if you try and buy Fallout? They keep declining it, but I'm positive all the info is right and the money is in there.

wtfff
Steam was randomly doing this with my debit card during last month's deals. It usually worked the second time though.

Costanza

Banned
letsbereasonable said:
Steam was randomly doing this with my debit card during last month's deals. It usually worked the second time though.
I've tried it about 8 times now. Now it's telling me "there's a problem initializing your transaction..." and won't even go past the address page.

Zzoram

Des0lar said:
Ok, saved me 22€

You didn't like Oblivion? I just talked to everyone I met to get quests, and worked my way down the quest log, ignoring the main quest until the end. Fallout 3 works similarly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom