• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Normally I wouldn't wait for a bundle, 5 bucks a pop for these adventure games are worth it. But Loving Steam dropped the hint of a lucas arts "back pack" hitting so I'll wait and see what is in that first!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mrbob said:
Normally I wouldn't wait for a bundle, 5 bucks a pop for these adventure games are worth it. But Loving Steam dropped the hint of a lucas arts "back pack" hitting so I'll wait and see what is in that first!

Lucasarts themselves confirmed multiple bundles in one of those stick of joy interviews.

I'm at work now freaking out that these games are finally out there and are only $5. If you don't get these then you are part of the problem. I'm thinking of all the shit that costs $5 on XBLA and PSN that are so below these older games and it pains me that there are people who buy crap for that amount and have no clue about these awesome older games.

I would love to jump on one, but no SCUMMVM compatability really sours the deal. Still considering it but lack of portability is a big minus.

Saterium

It should be noted that The Dig is currently broken and won't launch. Looks like the exe isn't built correctly. Hopefully they'll patch it soon =(

*EDIT* Now fixed

MNC

Saterium said:
It should be noted that The Dig is currently broken and won't launch. Looks like the exe isn't built correctly. Hopefully they'll patch it soon =(
:( :( :( That was the first I was going to buy.

Peronthious said:
I would love to jump on one, but no SCUMMVM compatability really sours the deal. Still considering it but lack of portability is a big minus.

No way to get them working with SCUMMVM at all? That definitely sucks, not a dealbreaker, sure but it would be awesome to have legal copies just blast over to an iPhone/PSP/NDS etc.

Vorador

Banned
Yeah, the games are reworked so they're not compatible with scummvm since the data is different.

Anyway, someone knows how to change the sound options on both Indy games? I know i'm a strange one, but i want to try to get the sound in PC Speaker, like the old times :lol :lol

MNC

BrokenSymmetry said:
Gamespy account required for Battlefront II multiplayer :(
The only thing that didn't make me buy it this instant.

It would have been AWESOME with steam online support, seriously. I would buy it 3 times then.

Polk

Zachack said:
Probably no one has reached this point yet but how did Lucasarts remove the endgame copy protection from Last Crusade involving the Grail Diary?
What copy protection? I don't remember any.

Angst

I think you had to look something up in your manual to be able to solve the last puzzle.

They'll most likely include the manual as a PDF.

Polk said:
What copy protection? I don't remember any.

The red-print code sheet that you needed to open the game. No other copy protection, the grail diary was just a neat pack-in. At the end, you needed clues from earlier in the game to avoid guessing about the grail.

Enter the wrong code three times and then get to Donovan's house. Funny stuff.

The codes (and manual) are included as a PDF.

devildog820 said:

I bought my dad a copy of this years ago because he was a big fan of the movies, and returned home once to find that he had lost the code sheet and would just replay the beginning sequences over and over.

devildog820 said:
The red-print code sheet that you needed to open the game. No other copy protection, the grail diary was just a neat pack-in. At the end, you needed clues from earlier in the game to avoid guessing about the grail.

My bad, the Grail Diary is needed to decipher some of the in-game quotes.

Polk

devildog820 said:
I thought all clues were in-game (like where to stand on the firtst trial). But hell, I've played it ages ago.
One thing amazed me when I found out you can bypass whole Zepellin scene.

Polk said:
I thought all clues were in-game (like where to stand on the firtst trial). But hell, I've played it ages ago.
One thing amazed me when I found out you can bypass whole Zepellin scene.

Nope, first and third trials both rely on the printed diary. So does picking the grail itself.

Pewp

Saterium said:

Just bought and downloading this right now. Should of read this thread first!

Zachack

devildog820 said:
Nope, first and third trials both rely on the printed diary. So does picking the grail itself.
Correct, as memory serves you get two clues to what the grail looks like in the game (glowing background, thin/fat, or something like that), and then you look in the grail diary to figure out what the grail actually looks like when you pick it (the diary has lots of grails).

CiSTM

Banned
stressboy said:
Definitely picking up Republic Commando. How is Armed & Dangerous?

It's really great game with great humor. One thing I have always loved in LucasArts games is the humor and this baby is loaded with it.

And come on, who can say no to a game that has Land Shark weapon ?

fm1bgo.gif

Blizzard

Banned
So despite the twitter, we still don't know package prices? I guess I'll wait until the weekend before buying Fate of Atlantis, and use that to hold myself over until a package comes out. :D I only ever played the "brains" route. Were the other two routes much different?

Mrbob

stressboy said:
Definitely picking up Republic Commando. How is Armed & Dangerous?

You ever play Giants Citizen Kabuto?

If you haven't, play it first (6 bucks off of good old games).

If you have, pick this up! It was the next game by Planet Moon Studios back in their glory days. Not as good as Giants, but still very fun (hilarious writing) and well worth playing!

Add all the old jedi knight and x-wing, wing commander games and give me a 30€ pricepoint and I'm in :D

adventure pack for like 15€ would be fine as well. With Monkey Island 3 I would pay 20 to 25€

Cronen

Bluemercury said:
For the new telltales monkey island you have to buy the pack?Cant you just buy the first episode?

That's right. You buy the series as a whole and get the others when they are released.

Order before July 14th and you get the first episode of Wallace and Gromit as well!

Cronen said:
Order before July 14th and you get the first episode of Wallace and Gromit as well!

Which is also stupid because you cannot buy Wallace&Gromit episodes separetely as well, have to buy the whole season. So what is worth an episode if you have to buy the whole pack if you like it?

Chiaroscuro said:
Which is also stupid because you cannot buy Wallace&Gromit episodes separetely as well, have to buy the whole season. So what is worth an episode if you have to buy the whole pack if you like it?
Buy it from Telltale direct or quit crying.

webrunner

As great as steam is, you want to buy direct from Telltale (I learned that from Sam & Max)

Buying from Telltale gives you the bonus disc at the end, steam doesn't.

Proc

webrunner said:
As great as steam is, you want to buy direct from Telltale (I learned that from Sam & Max)

Buying from Telltale gives you the bonus disc at the end, steam doesn't.

not to mention it sort of clutters up your game list

Caesar III said:
Add all the old jedi knight and x-wing, wing commander games and give me a 30€ pricepoint and I'm in :D

adventure pack for like 15€ would be fine as well. With Monkey Island 3 I would pay 20 to 25€

Wing Commander is an EA property but I would do dirty, dirty things for a complete Wing Commander collection.

storybook77 said:
Wing Commander is an EA property but I would do dirty, dirty things for a complete Wing Commander collection.

I would love the first two WCs.

Also, am I the only one who kind of likes the smoothing on the Indy titles?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
How come Out of the Park Baseball 10 isn't on Steam? They're offering a $10 off direct sale for a week, so I guess I won't wait, but I thought they were going to continue being delivered there.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Supreme Ruler 2020 now available for 20 bucks.

Fueled by oil, political instability, and regional disparity, the world descends into chaos. Overnight, the value of an American dollar dropped 10%. Drastic actions by many western governments managed to stall the descent, but the dollar continued to decline.

The resulting economic impact echoed across the globe and as US ability to police other nations dwindled and died, assorted regions seized the opportunity to encroach on their weaker neighbours amidst this anarchy — the time has come for you to take control in this geo-political strategy game. Will your leadership take you to new heights of power, or will you be nothing more than a footnote in history?

Key features:

-Choose from hundreds of actual military vehicles to research, build, and deploy
-Detailed political, diplomatic and economic models
-Choose your command from over 250 regions, worldwide
-Streamlined Interface for easier play options.
-Single or multiplayer support: up to 16 players over Internet or LAN
-Super Sandbox Mode, for the last word in customization and replay value

Sounds interesting. Someone buy it and tell us how it is :)

fallout

Chiaroscuro said:
I am not crying, but it sounds stupity to Valve to allow a "pack-in" game that will lead you to buy the others episodes in the competitors.
Wallace & Gromit is also developed by Telltale. That's why the pack-in is available.

fallout said:
Wallace & Gromit is also developed by Telltale. That's why the pack-in is available.

That is the point. I know that both games are from Telltale. But the only place you can buy the episodes individually is on Telltale store. I know it is not fair call them competitor, but if Steam store only offers complete seasons, why to offer a free episode from another series as a bonus for a season? If the buyer likes the free episode he will spend his money elsewhere (Telltale store not Steam).

Twig

Banned
Chiaroscuro said:
That is the point. I know that both games are from Telltale. But the only place you can buy the episodes individually is on Telltale store.
Okay first of all:
I know it is not fair call them competitor, but if Steam store only offers complete seasons, why to offer a free episode from another series as a bonus for a season?
To entice people to buy the rest of the season. This is obvious.

And second:
If the buyer likes the free episode he will spend his money elsewhere (Telltale store not Steam).
You can read the minds of everyone who plays the free episode of Wallace and Gromit?

TheOneGuy said:
To entice people to buy the rest of the season. This is obvious.

I think you guys are failing to see my point: if I like the free episode and want the rest of the season, Steam only offers me the complete pack, thus I will end with a episode in double (which I cannot gift). Instead of buying the complete season on Steam, I may buy the 3 other episodes individually on Telltale Store, where 3 episodes would be cheaper than the whole season on Steam.

So that is why I cannot think that it is a good deal to Valve to offer these episode freebies. It has the same use as a demo would have, since I have to buy the whole season. The "free" episode isn´t really free, since I will pay for it when I buy the season on Steam.

But it is not a big deal, move on guys, we are going off-topic.

_tetsuo_ said:
Supreme Ruler 2020 now available for 20 bucks.

Sounds interesting. Someone buy it and tell us how it is :)

It's a very hardcore strategy game, much more so than the Paradox standards HoI and EU. You're given quite literally every bit of a nation to control, and the game is rather rough to jump into, to say the least. If you can grasp it the game is awesome, but there is quite a learning curve. For a review from someone with an excellent background in the genre, check Troy Goodfellow's review for GameShark. The little headline, "Putting the hard in hardcore", is right on the money.

Yeah I tried a couple of times to get into the demo and I was put off by the curve, though that was more because I didn't see a ton of reward for climbing it as the rest of the game seemed sort of "meh" than my fear I wouldn't totally grok it at some point.

It's definitely a sort of niche game. I think it's one of those things where you approach it knowing it is exactly the sort of game you want to play moreso than it dragging you in, if you will.

Costanza

Banned
Ugh, Steam is pissing me off.

When I changed my address a few weeks ago and used the same debit card I always use, Steam put an automatic flag on my account for "fraud". So last week I emailed in, they fixed it, I bought the 2K Mega Pack and figured I wouldn't have to deal with this again.

Till today when I went to buy the Indiana Jones games. "Card has been declined."

Now they tell me there's no way for them to permanently remove the flag, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to buy something, I have to send an email to support and wait for a reply so they can temporarily lift the hold. This is ridiculous and doesn't even make any sense. I have such horrible luck with digital distribution.

Ikopi

Costanza said:
Ugh, Steam is pissing me off.

When I changed my address a few weeks ago and used the same debit card I always use, Steam put an automatic flag on my account for "fraud". So last week I emailed in, they fixed it, I bought the 2K Mega Pack and figured I wouldn't have to deal with this again.

Till today when I went to buy the Indiana Jones games. "Card has been declined."

Now they tell me there's no way for them to permanently remove the flag, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to buy something, I have to send an email to support and wait for a reply so they can temporarily lift the hold. This is ridiculous and doesn't even make any sense. I have such horrible luck with digital distribution.

Isn't Paypal an option? I always use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom