• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
evil solrac v3.0 said:
how can i put the games that i didnt buy thru steam on steam? is that possible?
Just add them so you launch the game through Steam and can use the Steam Overlay, or do you mean adding them to your account (via CD Key).

Ikuu said:
Just add them so you launch the game through Steam and can use the Steam Overlay, or do you mean adding them to your account (via CD Key).

well, can i add any game to my account via cd key or is it justa few? i'd like to able to launch all my games without having to pop in a CD.

Can you redeem coupon code online at steampowered.com? I couldn't find it if there is such an option.

Capcom and Lucas Arts are posting codes and I can't even try it because I'll always be at work when they post it.

Baha

I hope people picked up the 2k huge games pack last night. It's gone from the store now and it was still on special last night despite the July 7th end date.

dani_dc said:
Apparently Grid is the deal of the week, 50% off (9.99 euros for Europeans)
For £7.49 i'm willing to double dip after selling my 360 copy. does the steam/pc version have windows live achievements?

*edit* looking on the steam page, no it does not.

As we are talking about GRID, does anyone (SteamLove???) knows the status of FUEL in Steam? It was in the coming soon tab for weeks and some day just desapear. Will it come to Steam?

Chiaroscuro said:
As we are talking about GRID, does anyone (SteamLove???) knows the status of FUEL in Steam? It was in the coming soon tab for weeks and some day just desapear. Will it come to Steam?
Buddy confirmed its back on the list of games that are set to come out, don't know when though.

Bluth54

evil solrac v3.0 said:
well thats a short list.... oh well.

A lot of those games use Steam as DRM. I'm sure Valve gets paid a little bit for each game that requires Steam. For games that don't use Steam as DRM I bet that the publishers have to pay Valve for each game unlocked, so you don't see it happen very often even though many of us would like to see more games you can put in the CD key to unlock.

I think the best thing we can hope for is that more publishers just use Steam as DRM, we are starting to see it happen with some big games like Dawn of War 2, FEAR 2 and Empire Total War so it seems like some publishers are warming up to the idea. Most gamers are much more accepting of Steam as DRM as opposed to most other types, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more and more new games that require you to put the CD key into Steam.

From that list:

"Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q"

WTF? I thought the PC version of SH:H was a Steam-only release, and had no retail release anywhere. Googling seems to confirm that. Why is there an entry for that on the third-party page?

BeeDog

faceless007 said:
From that list:

"Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q"

WTF? I thought the PC version of SH:H was a Steam-only release, and had no retail release anywhere. Googling seems to confirm that. Why is there an entry for that on the third-party page?

I've definitely seen Homecoming in stores over here:

large

Jirotrom

I just played the demo of Zeno Clash really early this morning... has there been a steam special on this yet? I want the game but i'm tight on funds.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
MumboJumbo Brings Four More Games

July 13, 2009, 2:22 pm - Valve - Product Release

Four more casual games are now available from MumboJumbo games: Gemsweeper, Chainz 2, LUXOR: Mah Jong, and Penguins' Journey.

MNC

Account value: $349.87
$544.69 without packages

Doable.

Wait what?

Used Packages
Title Price Total
01 Valve Complete Pack $99.99 $99.99
02 Rockstar Collection $99.99 $199.98

I don't have the valve complete pack!

Oli

I'm finally delving into the wonders of steam.

So, what should be my next top priority? Portal, or Braid?
Played the demo's on both and loved them both, so I'd be happy with either. Also, which game is longer / has the most replay value?

markot

Banned
Portal >_<!

Brilliant game.

Get the Orange Box if you dont have those games, they are all brilliant, and all for just $30!

Blizzard

Banned
Oli said:

Played the demo's on both and loved them both, so I'd be happy with either. Also, which game is longer / has the most replay value?
I thought Braid was clever, but Portal was way better. It's also an excellent deal if you get it as part of the Orange Box (all of the other games are good in it). Portal is neat in a witty way, without being artsy in an obnoxious fashion. There are also extra challenges (and achievements) and some downloadable maps, I believe, if you want replay.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oli said:

Portal for sure. It's bigger, more entertaining and has the XBLA pack available for free.

Oli

If I'm not interested in the other contents of the Orange Box (and I'm not really), is Portal still worth the $20 charge? It used to be available for $10 retail, but sadly I can't find it these days in stores.

Blizzard

Banned
Oli said:
If I'm not interested in the other contents of the Orange Box (and I'm not really), is Portal still worth the $20 charge? It used to be available for $10 retail, but sadly I can't find it these days in stores.
I guess I didn't realize you were asking for 360 (if I understand correctly). Do you mind if I ask why you're not interested in the others? I can totally understand if you're not a FPS fan (thus no HL2, and 360 TF2 is apparently lousy), but then you're apparently not so against FPSes that you would forgo portal.

MNC

Oli said:
Sadly, in my opinion it isnt. The replay value isnt that big even with the mapping community.

Oli said:

You must change your misguided ways and want the entire orange box, it's really the best thing to come out in the last 5 years, and that includes the Slap Chop.

Oli

Blizzard said:
I guess I didn't realize you were asking for 360 (if I understand correctly). Do you mind if I ask why you're not interested in the others? I can totally understand if you're not a FPS fan (thus no HL2, and 360 TF2 is apparently lousy), but then you're apparently not so against FPSes that you would forgo portal.

I'm asking about the Steam version, sadly I have no 360.

I generally avoid most first person shooters, with exceptions here and there. Just not a huge fan of the genre, and can only take it in small bites. I wouldn't consider Portal a FPS though anymore than I would Metroid Prime. I took it to be more of a first person puzzle game.

Blizzard

Banned
Oli said:

I generally avoid most first person shooters, with exceptions here and there. Just not a huge fan of the genre, and can only take it in small bites. I wouldn't consider Portal a FPS though anymore than I would Metroid Prime. I took it to be more of a first person puzzle game.
You would be correct, it's not much of a shooter. I was braindead and didn't make the obvious Steam connection.

You missed out on the $10 (I think) Orange Box Steam sale a while back. Portal is a great game, but I would say $10 or $15 for it alone would be reasonable.

Oli

Blizzard said:
You would be correct, it's not much of a shooter. I was braindead and didn't make the obvious Steam connection.

You missed out on the $10 (I think) Orange Box Steam sale a while back. Portal is a great game, but I would say $10 or $15 for it alone would be reasonable.

Ah, thanks.

I will probably wait for a sale, hopefully that will happen. Now that I've had the option (and sadly passed it up) for half the current price, it would be hard to accept the $20 charge. Unless I get desperate enough.

Any other games you all would recommend? Note that my laptop can only handle so much.

Parham

Banned
Oli said:

If you don't mind picking up the game from somewhere else other than Steam, Frys.com has it for $10.

Edit:
Oli said:
Any other games you all would recommend? Note that my laptop can only handle so much.

Audiosurf, Peggle, Trine, and Trackmania Nations Forever (Free version also available).

1-D_FTW

LovingSteam said:
BTW, mine is

Account value: $3706.39

$4977.73 without packages

Here is my profile link

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Arose1980/

That's like the most bizarre account I've ever seen. I had to click it. And when I saw you only had .2 hours played in the last 2 weeks, I clicked on the link to see all your games. So then I started clicking on all your games with achievements. You have almost nothing. Most games have zero achievements. Crazy. It's a fitting user name, though.

gregor7777 said:
Hmm, I'm using custom URL and I can't find that long number anywhere. I'd remove the custom URL, but I don't want to. :lol

EDIT: actually, it won't let me remove the custom URL.

And I'm not set to private. Weird.

you see the custom url in your control panel page?

Fredescu

gregor7777 said:
Hmm, I'm using custom URL and I can't find that long number anywhere. I'd remove the custom URL, but I don't want to. :lol

EDIT: actually, it won't let me remove the custom URL.

And I'm not set to private. Weird.
The way I fixed it was to change my custom URL to a bunch of numbers and then check the thing. You can always change it straight back once you're done. Not sure why it won't let you change the custom URL though. Are you sure you're in Edit Profile and not View Profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom