• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

For those on the fence about Trackmania, buy! Even if Stadium is the only campaign that's played online, the others are still great to play (and there's nearly unlimited amounts to download for time trials.) Island is arcade racing at its finest.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
LovingSteam said:
Batman Asylum, Divinity 2, Rise of Nations, more Jedi Knight games are coming to Steam.

In regards to Rise of Nations, does this mean Microsoft is coming to Steam?

Kifimbo

LovingSteam said:
Buddy told me not to get excited even before I asked that. Apparently the devs own the IP so still not signs of Microsoft coming aboard.

Big Huge Games is now owned by 38 Studios (Curt Schilling studio). They bought Big Huge Games IPs too, so I guess that includes Rise of Nations.

So RoN coming to Steam probably doesn't have anything to do with MS.

graywolf323

LovingSteam said:
Batman Asylum, Divinity 2, Rise of Nations, more Jedi Knight games are coming to Steam.

sweet :D Rise of Nations and anything Jedi Knight is a must buy for me

edit: wonder if Rise of Legends will eventually come as well?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
LovingSteam said:
To why I ask, I am simply curious. Why here? Simply because you are responding in this thread.

Well, if I must answer, then the answer is none, I have no XBLA games.

Volcynika

Maintenance going on Thursday

"Beginning at 6:00 pm Pacific time Thursday August 6th, we will be performing software maintenance on some Steam servers. We expect the resulting downtime to last three hours at most, putting the end of the window at 9:00 pm Pacific time.

Some Steam services will be offline during this time. Affected services will include the Steam Community, in-game matchmaking or lobbies, downloading games from Steam content servers, and making purchases from the Steam store. Games that do not rely on Steam matchmaking services should remain playable.

News updates and any further information will be posted in this space.

We will work to make this downtime as short as possible. Thank you for your patience!"

Bluth54

LovingSteam said:
Nice. If Rise of Nations is cheap enough I'll buy it again just so I don't have to mess with my disks to install/play it.

graywolf323

Volcynika said:
Maintenance going on Thursday

"Beginning at 6:00 pm Pacific time Thursday August 6th, we will be performing software maintenance on some Steam servers. We expect the resulting downtime to last three hours at most, putting the end of the window at 9:00 pm Pacific time.

Some Steam services will be offline during this time. Affected services will include the Steam Community, in-game matchmaking or lobbies, downloading games from Steam content servers, and making purchases from the Steam store. Games that do not rely on Steam matchmaking services should remain playable.

News updates and any further information will be posted in this space.

We will work to make this downtime as short as possible. Thank you for your patience!"

well dang it that happens during a LAN party I'm going to

Volcynika

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut on Steam, save 30% till August 12th ($39.99 -> $27.99)

Experience the PC RPG of the Year (PC Gamer, GameSpy, IGN) as the developers intended in The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut, with mature content not previously available to North American gamers.

Steam customers who already own The Witcher: Enhanced Edition can upgrade their version for free by visiting the Upgrade DLC page.

Save 30% until August 12th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20900/

Fantastic game, one of my top RPGs.

DrPirate

Banned
Let me derail this thread by saying the following:

I bought the Dawn of War games last weekend, and have been playing them nonstop since.

This is the greatest RTS series ever made. The Space Marines are so epic, they're like spartans of the future.

What I want to say is: This game series kicks Starcraft's ass back and forth and back again.

Honestly...Dawn of War is the most under rated strategy game ever. To think I ignored this title until this deal came along.

I should make a LTTP thread, but I don't really like making threads at all. Sooooo, yeah!

Lothars

DrPirate said:
Let me derail this thread by saying the following:

I bought the Dawn of War games last weekend, and have been playing them nonstop since.

This is the greatest RTS series ever made. The Space Marines are so epic, they're like spartans of the future.

What I want to say is: This game series kicks Starcraft's ass back and forth and back again.

Honestly...Dawn of War is the most under rated strategy game ever. To think I ignored this title until this deal came along.

I should make a LTTP thread, but I don't really like making threads at all. Sooooo, yeah!

I am sorry but I disagree it's not anywhere near Starcraft in quality, Dawn of War are great games but definitely can't compare to Starcraft or Warcraft, even if you look at multiplayer quality.

I just can't stand how bad Relic is bad at patching games but that's more so refering to DoW than DoW 2.

Lothars

Volcynika said:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut on Steam, save 30% till August 12th ($39.99 -> $27.99)

I should pick this up, I have been waiting and this is enough to push me over the edge but I think ill wait till the weekend and see what the weekend deal is because I don't want to end up spending to much money especially after buying Trackmania.

Zzoram

lothars said:
I am sorry but I disagree it's not anywhere near Starcraft in quality, Dawn of War are great games but definitely can't compare to Starcraft or Warcraft, even if you look at multiplayer quality.

I just can't stand how bad Relic is bad at patching games but that's more so refering to DoW than DoW 2.

Company of Heroes also has stupidly terrible patching. Basically, Relic is fail at online, which is where Blizzard is top dog.

Lothars

Zzoram said:
Company of Heroes also has stupidly terrible patching. Basically, Relic is fail at online, which is where Blizzard is top dog.

Yeah good point, I just wish they were better at patching.

Zzoram

lothars said:
I should pick this up, I have been waiting and this is enough to push me over the edge but I think ill wait till the weekend and see what the weekend deal is because I don't want to end up spending to much money especially after buying Trackmania.

I'm so angry I bought The Witcher retail just before it was announced for Steam.

Volcynika said:

OMG the perfect time. Since I'm broke with money and busy with summer school work I haven't had any new games since the spring. I've been holding off of this game because I really wanted to max out the graphics when I can afford a new computer.

Instead I bought a Dell laptop a year ago from this month for college that has totally disappointed me performance-wise (and everything else). It can play every game out on the market, but I have to waste time tweaking the graphics and everything to get a good framerate. Far Cry 2 was the biggest offender of this. I literally spent more time trying to achieve 30 fps than playing the game. The gameplay was pretty crappy anyway so I uninstalled it. If I had known I could build a good computer and bought a netbook both for $1000 I would have fucking done it. But no. My parents caved me in into buying an overpriced $1600 Dell (including taxes) that now has scratched aluminum and shit under the keyboard I can't get out. I got a netbook, but now I spent twice as much as I should have. That's a big fucking deal when I think $1000 is a lot of money.

And then there's this problem. I've agreed that if I can finish all my schoolwork before school starts 3 weeks from now they'll buy me Rock Band. The only way I'll be able to coax them to buy this and RB is if I screw the Special Edition and get just RB1, RB2, and the RB2 Strat all used (drumming looks hard so I'll move to that later).

So after reading all about my financial problems, should I get this on sale? My computer's an XPS 1530 with a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, a GeForce 8600M GT (with DDR3 ram, thank God), 3 GB of ram, and Vista SP2. Can I play on Medium settings with a little AA?

Zzoram said:
I'm so angry I bought The Witcher retail just before it was announced for Steam.

Why is that? From what I read, everyone who owns the game gets a free update to The Witcher: Enhanced Edition.

I picked it up when it released on Steam, and while ti was fun for a while, I got sick of fetching shit for everyone. Not a bad game by any means, but little things pissed me off. For instance, I had to get a mod just to allow the main character to be able to walk in a forward direction. That's right, a fucking walk mod.

Jefklak

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
pilonv1 said:
awesome more region locked content

From the Witcher website:

* What is The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut?
The Director’s Cut is the version of the game our developers originally intended for you to play. It is essentially the same game that gamers around the world have experienced – now available legitimately for the first time in North America.

Try researching a bit before trolling next time.

Jefklak said:
Fucking assholes. Not available in europe.
Something like this really makes me mad...
You too.

drkOne

Well, if only we had any version of The Witcher in the european store… I guess I'll wait for a weekend deal before asking GAF for help with this one then.

Stop It said:

You too.

FYI, The Witcher is not available on steam at all in europe before you accuse people of not doing research or of being a troll.

EDIT: We don't even have the demo!

I'll join in the haterade. I bought the retail version of The Witcher Enhanced Edition about a month ago and no matter what i did, it wouldn't install on my computer. I eventually gave up and returned it. It sucks cos i desperately want to play it, but i guess these publishers don't want my money, since they won't let me buy it on direct download sites from Australia. The region locking on these sites is just pathetic and pisses me off. Fuck you Rockstar and whoever distributes The Witcher.

pilonv1

Stop It said:

The Director’s Cut is the version of the game our developers originally intended for you to play. It is essentially the same game that gamers around the world have experienced – now available legitimately for the first time in North America.

You too.

Why dont you do some research. The game is not even available where I live, and as others have stated it's not available in Europe or Australia. But thanks for your input.

Kawaii

AstroLad said:
It starts out pretty tough but gets a decent bit easier (and adds more variety). Red Ball Express in particular can be a bitch your first two times through. Way I did it early on was to just slowly venture across the map capturing points and defending my earlier points with nests. You just have to be careful not to capture that central point as that triggers the counterattack. I think by the end of it I had like 50 nests and had captured every single point on the map. :lol There are certainly other ways to do it but I enjoyed stomping them and it's pretty straightforward.

Another protip if you aren't using it is to hit pause to micromanage more effectively while you get used to the hotkeys and the like. Not even sure they are all described in the terrible manual:
http://planetcoh.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameInfo.Detail&id=12
http://planetcoh.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameInfo.Detail&id=11

Good beginner's guide: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=114332

Vorador

Banned
Still, you can get the retail version for cheap and it works the same (even requiring you to introduce the key on steam).

Soule

Ugh I hate it so much that they have the little press releasey thing on the front page of steam that Witcher is now 30% off, why even advertise it if it's not available at all in my territory?

Stop It said:

You too.

Irony.

Mrbob

Anyone pick up Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood?

Seems like an interesting indie game on sale right now for 5 bucks. I might take the plunge to find out!

Lothars

Soule said:
Ugh I hate it so much that they have the little press releasey thing on the front page of steam that Witcher is now 30% off, why even advertise it if it's not available at all in my territory?

Irony.

Well if you have someone in another territory gift you the game that's at least a way to bypass the not available issue.

I bought The Dig from steam and it's total garbage. You can't even change the damn resolution. ScummVM > this piece of crap. Fuck you LucasArt.

Mrbob said:
Anyone pick up Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood?

Seems like an interesting indie game on sale right now for 5 bucks. I might take the plunge to find out!

People say it is a 10 minute game. BTW, buddy said that Red Faction pre-purchase should go up today including the RF1 and RF2 for free.

epmode

LordPhoque said:
I bought The Dig from steam and it's total garbage. You can't even change the damn resolution. ScummVM > this piece of crap. Fuck you LucasArt.
Christ. Calm down.

It's a good port. Set it to windowed mode and then right-click the window. There are lots of different options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom