• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
LovingSteam said:
I would stay clear of the PC version. Same folks who made Saints Row 2 port which was offensive in its quality or lack there of.

They're making sure it isn't anything like the SR2 port.

Edit: Jesus, it's £35 in the UK :lol I'm so glad I don't buy stuff from Steam unless it's on offer.

Baloonatic said:
They're making sure it isn't anything like the SR2 port.

Edit: Jesus, it's £35 in the UK :lol I'm so glad I don't buy stuff from Steam unless it's on offer.

How do you know they are making sure it isn't like the SR2 port?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
What're the odds that The Witcher will be playable on my 2-year old Macbook (1.8GHZ, 2GB RAM, Integrated Graphics Card)? I'm just dreaming, aren't I?

Pretty sure the bulk of the porting load is being done by a third party for Guerilla, which doesnt install much hope, that and SR2 was 1 hell of a fuckup on the PC. Shit like that is 1 of the reasons PC gaming isnt bigger imo.

Bluth54

aidan said:
What're the odds that The Witcher will be playable on my 2-year old Macbook (1.8GHZ, 2GB RAM, Integrated Graphics Card)? I'm just dreaming, aren't I?
I just checked the box, apparently it requires a videocard with pixel shader 2.0 and most older integrated cards don't support PS 2.0.
Also the processor requirement is 2.4 Ghz for Intel.

So yeah you're dreaming.

Thomper said:
Aaaand the Europe-version costs 50 euro's. That's pretty bass-ackwards. So the US-version is 27 euro's when converted, and the EU-version is 72 dollars converted. That's an insane pricehike.
Wow that is really bad, steam in the UK can be a bit hit or miss sometimes.

Wow, THQ lost themself a sale there. Will buy it second hand on 360 instead.

It's probably going to be a shitty port anyway, just like Saints Row 2 was.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Bluth54 said:
I just checked the box, apparently it requires a videocard with pixel shader 2.0 and most older integrated cards don't support PS 2.0.
Also the processor requirement is 2.4 Ghz for Intel.

So yeah you're dreaming.

Ahh well, yet another reason to build a new computer. Thanks.

Visualante said:
Wow, THQ lost themself a sale there. Will buy it second hand on 360 instead.

It's probably going to be a shitty port anyway, just like Saints Row 2 was.

Yup, I really want it but I trust THQ on PC ports as far as I can throw them.

FatalT

Banned
Wrong, wrong, wrong. It isn't the same company who ported Saint's Row 2. They announced DX10 support, all the three upcoming DLC packs being available for the PC version, and they're oddly willing to interview with PCGHX.de about their porting work. I wouldn't write it completely off just yet. It sounds like it will be pretty good.

Oh LovingSteam you butthead, you ninja edited.

FatalT said:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. It isn't the same company who ported Saint's Row 2. They announced DX10 support, all the three upcoming DLC packs being available for the PC version, and they're oddly willing to interview with PCGHX.de about their porting work. I wouldn't write it completely off just yet. It sounds like it will be pretty good.

Oh LovingSteam you butthead, you ninja edited.

LOL I didn't edit, unless I am so out of it that I did and didn't realize lol. Anyhow, do we know who the third party is? Also, on the official forum there is no confirmation regarding DLC. And what do you mean interview with PCGHX.de about the porting?

Ogs said:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...h-additional-features-but-no-DirectX-11/News/

Edit - Just to remind people what the press release for SR2 PC said in it -

"We`ve spent a great deal of time optimizing system specs for Windows PC to
ensure gamers get the same high quality experience no matter what system they
choose."

:lol

Exactly. And although Volition isn't doing the porting, they are the ones still doing the "customer service". If you check their forum for Saints Row 2 you will see the type of quality that means...

Ogs said:
Pretty sure the bulk of the porting load is being done by a third party for Guerilla, which doesnt install much hope, that and SR2 was 1 hell of a fuckup on the PC. Shit like that is 1 of the reasons PC gaming isnt bigger imo.
Your first sentence is at odds with itself. You're saying that the internal port of SR2 was bad, but you're also saying that since this one is an external port you expect it to be bad. I don't think that makes any sense. I think, more likely, because SR2 PC turned out poorly, they decided to go with an external firm that would be able to focus on the PC version rather than have it be just one of several as an afterthought.

Chris Remo said:
Your first sentence is at odds with itself. You're saying that the internal port of SR2 was bad, but you're also saying that since this one is an external port you expect it to be bad. I don't think that makes any sense. I think, more likely, because SR2 PC turned out poorly, they decided to go with an external firm that would be able to focus on the PC version rather than have it be just one of several as an afterthought.

Sorry, i do tend to blither in my posts :D I was under the impression SR2 was ported by an external company too (cant find out who exactly though), so hearing that RFG was also being done externally, i assume its going to be another shoddy heap-o-crap. Reading articles like the one from PCGH do make it appear like its going to be a well crafted port, but SR2 was so badly done, it sticks in peoples minds.

Parham

Banned
LovingSteam said:
This is the company porting RFG

Perhaps its me but I really don't trust such a small company working on the games they are working on to actually handle this port, especially when Volition royally screwed SR2.

Developers who port games from one platform to another traditionally have fairly small teams. Just as an example, both Mass Effect and Bioshock were ported to the PC by a team of twenty people from Demiurge Studios, a fairly small developer. So if Demiurge can port a game well, with such a small team, I'm sure ReactorZero could as well.

For how long those pre-order offers usually are valid? Until the day before the game release or there is a fix date when they expire? I mean it says pre-purchase today to get Red Faction 1 and 2 free, but of course they do not mean "only today". I want to buy it but not now since there are 5 weeks until the game release.

Parham

Banned
Chiaroscuro said:
For how long those pre-order offers usually are valid? Until the day before the game release or there is a fix date when they expire? I mean it says pre-purchase today to get Red Faction 1 and 2 free, but of course they do not mean "only today". I want to buy it but not now since there are 5 weeks until the game release.

Usually, you have until the day before release to pre-order the game and receive the bonus.

Tim-E

Nabs said:
around an hr or so. sigh. why don't they do it earlier in the day? it's always 7-9pm est.

From their FAQ:

There's several different reasons. First, some downtime isn't planned. If we have a hardware failure, a problem with the network, or a problem with our point-of-presence provider, the event is unexpected and we can't schedule it. It happens when it happens.
When downtime is scheduled, we try to perform the activity during business hours at our office in the Pacific time zone (in the United States). This way, as many team members as possible are available to help with issues that might arise and get the work done. We try to stagger the events at different times of day.
It's important to remember that Steam is a global service, so there are always users online. Our peak user load is around noon at our local time, and our lowest user count is around 2300 local time.
When we have planned downtime, it usually lasts only a few minutes. As such, we'll do it in the early morning or in the late afternoon (again, local time) trying to avoid the peak time of the day. If we have plans for extended downtime, we'll do what we can to schedule the time as late as possible in the evening--with the caveat that we still need staff available to do the work or to help with any problems that might occur.

Tim-E

Nabs said:
crap... it might last 3 hrs.

dwdfo9.jpg

Me and some friends had some L4D planned for tonight, too.

Mrbob

Ohhh Red Faction is up. I already bought it on 360, but may double dip with the preorder incentive. I would order it right now but I'm unsure on how the port has turned out.

Shit very tempted to pre-purchase RFG. Was going to get it for 360 but the pre-order bonus sounds great. If only I could know if the port is going to suck or not.

TheExodu5

Banned
rohlfinator said:
When you pre-order on Steam, do they charge your credit card up-front or do they wait until the game is released?

Up-front, sadly. If you pre-order something, you're committed to buying it.

Dunlop

aidan said:

Sorry I don't have time to check the thread to see if it is mentioned, but if your Canadian the Witcher is $10 at EBGames (I picked it up last night). It will be missing a CD key which will take about 48 hours to get from Atari but from what I read, you will be able to patch to the complete game.

epmode

Dunlop said:
Sorry I don't have time to check the thread to see if it is mentioned, but if your Canadian the Witcher is $10 at EBGames (I picked it up last night). It will be missing a CD key which will take about 48 hours to get from Atari but from what I read, you will be able to patch to the complete game.
And I've heard (in this very thread + others) that some Canadians are having lots of trouble getting those keys in the first place so there's no way to update.

Let us know if it works out.

LovingSteam said:
I would stay clear of the PC version. Same folks who made Saints Row 2 port which was offensive in its quality or lack there of.

Totally different development team.

Has Red Faction 1 been updated to support Vista x64 and multi core processors? Its a rather crappy upload if it hasn't.

The console versions of Red Faction are around ~25fps or lower on average and tear nearly 50% of their frames. Basically, they're unplayable as far as I'm concerned, even a disastrous port should yield better performance than that on modern PC hardware.

Getting rid of the tearing is reason enough to make the PC version infinitely superior in my book even if performance is terrible.

Actiss

TheExodu5 said:
Up-front, sadly. If you pre-order something, you're committed to buying it.

Yup. Except, I believe, that preorders are they only exception to their no refund policy. Meaning if you change your mind about your preorder you can cancel it and they'll refund you the money.

They're adding SSAO, God rays and DX10 support to the PC version? Ooh, very, very nice, this is definitely not a Saints Row alike deal here. If I had the cash it'd be preordered.

Its designed around a dual core setup as well, there'll be a performance boost from a tri/quad but they haven't took the easy route like GTA4 which scaled horribly to dual cores. This looks like the real deal to me.

Like I say, the console versions border on unplayable, even a very moderate port would make the PC the absolute best place to play the game for anyone with somewhat moderate hardware because the standards set by the console version is so damn low.

Actiss said:
Yup. Except, I believe, that preorders are they only exception to their no refund policy. Meaning if you change your mind about your preorder you can cancel it and they'll refund you the money.

but then what applies to pre-order with bonus such games you can play right away? It does not seems logical to Valve to refund you the price you paid for the pre-order if you already had time to play the bonus games.

TheExodu5

Banned
Actiss said:

Yes and no.

I had Empire Total War refunded last time for me (called for the cancellation 2 days before release though), and they refunded my order, but told me that this was a one time unwritten policy, which means I probably can't do it again.

Mrbob

When you get free games like with Red Faction, it gets a bit sticky if you want to cancel. You can't preorder the game, play Red Faction 1 and 2, and then decide you don't want Guerrilla anymore. That is stealing. Plenty of FTPs to access if this is your thing.

Anyway, who has Trackmania United Forever? I'm not usually big into racing games but this one looks like a stunt racing game. At half off I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I haven't played a Trackmania game before.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mrbob said:
Anyway, who has Trackmania United Forever? I'm not usually big into racing games but this one looks like a stunt racing game. At half off I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I haven't played a Trackmania game before.
I do. It's tons of fun and has a lot of content and looks great. Try out the rather comprehensive demo and that will definitely give you a feel for it.

Flib

Mrbob said:
When you get free games like with Red Faction, it gets a bit sticky if you want to cancel. You can't preorder the game, play Red Faction 1 and 2, and then decide you don't want Guerrilla anymore. That is stealing. Plenty of FTPs to access if this is your thing.

Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy

Seriously, one of the best games/values on Steam, and unlike any racing game you've ever played.

eznark

Banned
Trackmania is a blast, but I had a ton of fun with the free Trackmania, didn't seem like the paid one offered all that much more. I'm probably wrong on that front, but I'm not super into racing games so the free one was plenty.

Play the free version of Trackmania United, and only buy the full one if you want more when
you are done with it. There's TONS of content in the free version and you might get your fill from that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
eznark said:
Trackmania is a blast, but I had a ton of fun with the free Trackmania, didn't seem like the paid one offered all that much more. I'm probably wrong on that front, but I'm not super into racing games so the free one was plenty.
Just a ton more tracks, but yeah the free version is one of the best "demos" out there. Had me wanting more because it was so fun, but it's a perfectfully full experiene in its own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom