• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

eznark said:
Trackmania is a blast, but I had a ton of fun with the free Trackmania, didn't seem like the paid one offered all that much more. I'm probably wrong on that front, but I'm not super into racing games so the free one was plenty.
The free one only has one of the seven environment types, though. And it's not just aesthetic. Each environment plays VERY differently than the others.

(if I had to choose, I'd go with Stadium as the best. But I still love Island, Bay and that one in Japan with the fast pickup trucks)

TheExodu5 said:
Up-front, sadly. If you pre-order something, you're committed to buying it.
Thanks. Makes sense when you're getting a pre-order bonus, I suppose.

Hopefully I remember to pre-order Red Faction before it comes out.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Thomper said:
Aaaand the Europe-version costs 50 euro's. That's pretty bass-ackwards. So the US-version is 27 euro's when converted, and the EU-version is 72 dollars converted. That's an insane pricehike.

if games journalism was true to its name, maybe someone would find out what the fuck is actually going on here - every single big new release in the uk is settling in at £34.99 now. i've no doubt that it's a pressure move by retail after the french psp go debacle, and the specifics are out there somewhere.

i'm starting to think that the lack of agency valve decided to take in pricing steam games in order to sweeten the pot to attract publishers (in a time when the benefits of dd and a glacial market shift are enough persuasion alone) was a terrible move.

i made the decision to switch my entire library over to dd some time ago for a whole boat of reasons, thanks to bullish retail, appeasing publishers and the spineless subservient setup of dd houses, it seems this has fast become financially impossible for a european pc gamer, for no good logistical or profitable reason.

ismaboof

Weekend Deals

The absolute, autonomous, freewheeling, grassroots, nonaligned, nonpartisan, sovereign, unconstrained, uncontrolled, unregimented games pack - $29.99
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1955/

Darwinia
Gish
AudioSurf
Everyday Shooter
Mr. Robot
World of Goo
Braid
Crayon Physics Deluxe
The Path
Blueberry Garden

The autarchical, self-governing, self-reliant, self-ruling, self-sufficient games pack - $19.99
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1956/

Everyday Shooter
World of Goo
Braid
The Path
Blueberry Garden

Doytch

I have most of the stuff that interests me from those packs. Only lacking Braid and Blueberry Garden. Oh well, I was planning on playing EU3 this weekend anyway.

Oreoleo

Did they really need to make a 2nd, smaller pack consisting of the same games in the big pack? Why not make two completely different indie game packs? Where's Plants and Zombies? Zeno-Clash? Trine? Defense Grid? I'm pretty sure everyone who's wanted to play World of Goo and Braid has by now.

TheExodu5

Banned
ismaboof said:
Check my edit

Thanks.

Shame I already own Darwinia, Everyday Shooter, and World of Goo. Would have been a purchase otherwise.

Defense Grid would have been a great edition to the packs as well.

Still a good deal...either pack.

Oreoleo

TheExodu5 said:
Still a good deal...either pack.

Which is exactly why it's heartbreaking to see both packs half-filled with games I already own.

How awesome would it be if they had a pool of 10-15 games and you could make your own 5 game pack for $20? So awesome.

ghst said:
if games journalism was true to its name, maybe someone would find out what the fuck is actually going on here - every single big new release in the uk is settling in at £34.99 now. i've no doubt that it's a pressure move by retail after the french psp go debacle, and the specifics are out there somewhere.

The Pound did get pounded earlier this year, and if not for the fact that scamming UK residents in the DD space has been going on for longer than that, I would say that might be part of it-they jacked up the prices in the "short term" and sort of conveniently forgot to raise them again later.

Odrion

Banned
Wow, this includes The Path? :lol

Seriously thou, I'm suppose to pay bills this week. >:\

edit: why isn't this in the steam launcher?

Odrion

Banned
The Path is that Little Red Riding Hood game people were talking about a while back, the one where you get fucked by werewolves.

Odrion said:
The Path is that Little Red Riding Hood game people were talking about a while back, the one where you get fucked by werewolves.

Uhh...

--
I don't have any of the games in either pack except for Audiosurf. I didn't like the World of goo demo either. Are they still worth the investment?

TheExodu5

Banned
DeadFalling said:
Uhh...

--
I don't have any of the games in either pack except for Audiosurf. I didn't like the World of goo demo either. Are they still worth the investment?

You're a bad person for not liking World of Goo.

You are soulless and unlikely to enjoy other fine games such as Braid and Everyday Shooter!

Hopefully, for your sake, Steam has a Weekend Deal so you can buy a soul and enjoy the best game of 2008!

no offense :p

Mrbob

rohlfinator said:
Valve once again reinforces the fact that they need to allow gifting of already-owned games on all bundles.

Agreed about this.

I would hop on the 29.99 bundle if I could gift a couple games.

TheExodu5 said:
You're a bad person for not liking World of Goo.

You are soulless and unlikely to enjoy other fine games such as Braid and Everyday Shooter!

Hopefully, for your sake, Steam has a Weekend Deal so you can buy a soul and enjoy the best game of 2008!

no offense :p

Haha, none taken. IDK, it just wasn't my thing. Seemed too much like a glorified flash game from what I played :/

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Fragamemnon said:
The Pound did get pounded earlier this year, and if not for the fact that scamming UK residents in the DD space has been going on for longer than that, I would say that might be part of it-they jacked up the prices in the "short term" and sort of conveniently forgot to raise them again later.

what's making me suspicious of bullish retail is that these aren't scaled up numbers, they are dead on rrp. same with both the pound and euro. rrp that doesn't make a modicum of sense to anyone wishing to turn a profit at retail in the european market (even when the £>$ was at 1.4, new pc games could still be picked up at retail for well under £20)

with even the most in tune of pc publishers such as 1c adhering to this, i doubt this is purely a publisher side move. hell, ea still don't even have a presence on steam in the uk.

it doesn't take a tin foil hat to start coming to the conclusion that somebody is poisoning the well, and all signs point to retail.

someone with means needs to put on their inquisitional hat and go to town on this story.

ismaboof

Orellio said:
How awesome would it be if they had a pool of 10-15 games and you could make your own 5 game pack for $20? So awesome.

Holy shit you just made me overly optomistic.

Imagine Valve releases an Orange Box 2. Logically, it would have Portal 2, Episode 3, maaaaybe a new CS (or Source), and maaaaybe L4D. But instead of being stuck with those four for $50, you could drop any game and pick one up from the first Orange Box. Not ready for Episode 3? Drop it and pick up Half Life 2 instead.

Obviously cost might flucuate based on the games, but hot damn that would be sweet.

TheExodu5

Banned
DeadFalling said:
Haha, none taken. IDK, it just wasn't my thing. Seemed too much like a glorified flash game from what I played :/

It turns into so much more than that. The gameplay evolves quite a bit.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I'm new to Steam, so here's a dumb question.

Considering purchasing the cheap indie pack over at Direct2Drive with Zeno Clash and The Path. If I purchase the games there, can I connect them to my Steam account?

Baha

eXxy said:

Considering purchasing the cheap indie pack over at Direct2Drive with Zeno Clash and The Path. If I purchase the games there, can I connect them to my Steam account?

If you mean add them to your Steam Games list so you can use the steam overlay while playing them, then yes. It's under add non-steam games in the Games tab

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
eXxy said:

I bought the same pack, of those games the keys from Defense Grid and Zeno Clash work in Steam.

eXxy said:

Zeno Clash will, I bought it from D2D myself. I didn't even download anything from D2D's servers I just registered the serial on Steam and got it there. edit, oh and defence grid it seems.

The others you will be responsible for backing up yourself however. You can still add it to you Steam games list like any other game, but if your PC dies you'll need the physical backup to play it again. It just acts as a shortcut. Like your friends will say in non Steam game: Fallout 3 for instance.
TheExodu5 said:
I believe the Zeno Clash key can be used to add it to your Steam Games list. Probably not the case with The Path though.
Game was very dry for me anyway. Couldn't stand playing it the once.

Welcome to the party, eXxy.

I don't own any of those (on my PC) but own World of Goo on Wii and Braid on 360.... but damn it looks like a really good deal nonetheless.

Alternatively the D2D deal is getting my attention since I'm very interested in Zeno Clash and Defense Grid. Arg.

Dipswitch

I'm going to need someone to destroy my credit cards for me. I simply cannot be trusted with them once I read this thread.

Steam - Taking food out of your families mouth since 2003!

careksims

Always good to wait. Bought that 5-pack deal for $20. Only game I own is Everyday Shooter and that's on the PS3. Always wanted to try Braid and The Path. :D

I own World of Goo and Braid on 360 but I'm still interested in that $20 pack. Or maybe I should get Trackmania....or maybe I should save my money.
not gonna happen

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm tempted for the 30$ pack since I've always wanted Audiosurf...but have no idea on any of the other games :lol

Helmholtz

DeadFalling said:
Uhh...

--
Braid. Enough said.
Seriously though, I'd pay $20 for Braid alone. Short but so so sweet. Also, world of goo is a pretty fun game. Give it a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom