• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Please be Planescape, please be Planescape, please be Planescape, please be Planescape....

I'm imagining a godly Megapack.

TheExodu5

Banned
CoD WaW isn't a bad game, but the visuals don't make me want to go back to it like MW did. The color palette is just so grey and depressing.

hulot

Mrbob said:
I know I know but it is such a tease to not see CoD4 go on sale.

I did just buy The Witcher though. I got my copy through free OEM with a videocard...had to email atari for my cd key but I lost it.

The game is awesome, so I figure I would pick it up while its on sale on steam. Now I don't have to worry about a cd key anymore. Only a near 15gb download. o_O
Wait, what's the this about a cd key? I have the Witcher EE (UK) because NA had a lot of things missing but I wasn't sure if I could register the key with my Steam account. Would it be possible to use the key from my UK game to register as a Steam game?

drkOne

hulot said:
Wait, what's the this about a cd key? I have the Witcher EE (UK) because NA had a lot of things missing but I wasn't sure if I could register the key with my Steam account. Would it be possible to use the key from my UK game to register as a Steam game?

I'm not sure, but I doubt that.

hulot said:

In order to patch The Witcher to The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, one needs their CD-Key. (and thus was a huge problem for canadians like me who never got CD-Keys in their retail copy)

e.mailed Interplay a couple of weeks back about a Steam release of Last Express. They told me that they didn't have the rights and that they use GoG.com instead. Be nice to see wht they release.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
i've been a pretty big steam supporter, but they are getting bigger and less agile...gog seems to be doing pretty well, at least on gaf; how often do they expand their catalog?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
bistromathics said:
i've been a pretty big steam supporter, but they are getting bigger and less agile...gog seems to be doing pretty well, at least on gaf; how often do they expand their catalog?

They usually release two games per week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

bistromathics said:
What do you mean by "agile"? Steam is adding more games and doing more sales than it ever has before, by a huge margin.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't see one good game in that Interplay list.. :D

People do like GOG in here, and i think it's mostly because it has old games that you can't find anywhere else, which is a good thing, don't get me wrong.

I do understand that it's more desirable for people that live in the US to get old games that you can't buy anywhere else than games that you can go out and buy anywhere for the same price or less.

Since I don't live in the US, the fact that GOG doesn't have most new games (that I can't go out and buy) or that Direct2Drive has shitty international lock outs (which is really stupid, and also happens on Steam, but to a minor extent), Steam is really the best (and only, as far as i'm concerned) digital distribution service that's worth a damn.

Specially since it integrates everything so easily.

eznark

Banned
bistromathics said:
Completely different catalogs.

Steam:Best Buy as GoG.com:Local mom and pop

Well, Best Buy if they offered a bunch of cool indie games as well.

Is The Last Express available anywhere besides GameTap?

TheExodu5

Banned
eznark said:
Completely different catalogs.

Steam:Best Buy as GoG.com:Local mom and pop

Well, Best Buy if they offered a bunch of cool indie games as well.

Is The Last Express available anywhere besides GameTap?

More like

Steam: Amazon
GoG: Steam

Wait, what?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Smash88 said:
Seriously? All I'm going to say is: Descent 1, 2 and 3.
I never liked descent, so.. yeah.

Maybe I was just too young and dumb to appreciate it, but I have zero nostalgia for it.

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 are good tho... 3D, not so much.

Edit: Hey, maybe i'll be able to register my original copy of Descent 1 on steam... hmmm..
Edit2: I just noticed, it has no key. Guess i wont then.. :D

legend166

So with this Half Life sale, is Half Life: Source worth picking up?

I mean, it's only $3.20, so I don't see how I can go wrong. I've already got vanilla Half Life. I never did beat it though.

vocab

legend166 said:

I mean, it's only $3.20, so I don't see how I can go wrong. I've already got vanilla Half Life. I never did beat it though.

Half Life: Source is a lazy ass attempt at updating a classic. They updated the gun models, the water, and used the source engines terrible sound, but they are still using the same textures, and character models from 1998 :lol Play the original. I think you would appreciate it more. Pick up Opposing Force, and Blue Shift. They both compliment Half Life really well with proper/interesting tie ins.

legend166

vocab said:
Half Life: Source is a lazy ass attempt at updating a classic. They updated the gun models, the water, and used the source engines terrible sound, but they are still using the same textures, and character models from 1998 :lol Play the original. I think you would appreciate it more. Pick up Opposing Force, and Blue Shift. They both compliment Half Life really well with proper/interesting tie ins.

I already own all the other stuff. I played through HL years ago to right near the end, but just didn't finish it.

vocab

legend166 said:
I already own all the other stuff. I played through HL years ago to right near the end, but just didn't finish it.

Well you can just watch the end, or find a save file that is right before the end on gamefaqs :lol It's worth it. No one really likes Xen. I think it's interesting, but it is the least likable part of HL. All that platforming, and teleporting around makes people angry.

NickP786

Just got a new computer, figured I'd download Steam to go with it, these sales might be the end of my bank account. MrBob was totally right, you figure you'll download it, pretty soon you're on it everyday looking for sales :lol

Slavik81

legend166 said:

There is no significant difference between Half-Life: Source and vanilla Half-Life. The change is nearly entirely on the back-end. It plays and looks almost exactly the same.

The only real exception is the water, which is nicer in the source version...

kuYuri

I own Half Life: Source (it came with the Half Life Holiday 2006 Collection) and I enjoyed it. I ended up installing the HD pack, which made character and weapon models much better looking.

legend166 said:

I bought it this sale because I did not own it and it is basically chump change.

I caved and bought Episode 2.

I have in Orange Box for 360, but when Ep 3 is finally announced I think I'll want to play it again, and then I'll probably have a better PC which can shame the visuals I got on my 360. Plus playing Half-Life on the PC just feels more natural to me.

Tim-E

drizzle said:
I don't see one good game in that Interplay list.. :D

People do like GOG in here, and i think it's mostly because it has old games that you can't find anywhere else, which is a good thing, don't get me wrong.

I do understand that it's more desirable for people that live in the US to get old games that you can't buy anywhere else than games that you can go out and buy anywhere for the same price or less.

Since I don't live in the US, the fact that GOG doesn't have most new games (that I can't go out and buy) or that Direct2Drive has shitty international lock outs (which is really stupid, and also happens on Steam, but to a minor extent), Steam is really the best (and only, as far as i'm concerned) digital distribution service that's worth a damn.

Specially since it integrates everything so easily.

Your criticism of GOG is that it doesn't have new games? Do you know that GOG stands for "Good Old Games?"

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Tim-E said:
Your criticism of GOG is that it doesn't have new games? Do you know that GOG stands for "Good Old Games?"
Which is why it's dumb for people to compare it to Steam.

That's exactly my point.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Actually, if we read through your reply, you point was that since GOG didn't have new games, Steam is really the best digital distribution service that's worth a damn (???).

Which, baiting opinion or not, is wrong. You don't totaly dismiss an antique store because it doesn't have the same plasitc tables as IKEA. They cater to a different audience, have different price points and are both worth using depending on what kind of experience you're looking for.

Mrbob

hulot said:

Can't register your boxed copy cd key with the steam version. I have an OEM version of the game I received with my video card, and this doesn't come with a cd key. You need a cd key to register the game so you can get all the enhanced edition extras. I had emailed atari last fall for a key, but I lost it. I'm having a great time with the game, saw it was on sale on Steam last week and decided to pick it up. CD Projekt created such a good experience I wanted to reward them with some money since I want to see them make more projects. The side benefit of having the game on Steam is I don't have to worry about keeping track of a cd key anymore. The game is tied directly to my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom