• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinp

Banned
So since my Steam account was locked this weekend I completely missed the weekend deal. I don't suppose anyone has an extra HL2 copy they'd like to gift?

Alternatively, how often does Valve put up discounts on their software?

Swaain

I have a copy of HL2 I can "gift", and a copy of HL2 : Ep. 1 as well. Drop me a PM, we'll get this sorted out. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment, so I'd appreciate it if you could do a (small) "donation" to my paypal account in return. I'll leave the amount up to you, OK?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay, so the first batch of Interplay titles has finally appeared in the coming soon section with the entrants being the Interplay Fallout Trilogy. Sacrifice and Kingpin.

Zachack

Shard said:
Okay, so the first batch of Interplay titles has finally appeared in the coming soon section with the entrants being the Interplay Fallout Trilogy. Sacrifice and Kingpin.
Wondering what the pricing will be; if it's cheap enough I'd definitely like to play Sacrifice again. Also, the Fallout 1 art they have looks different than the original boxart.

Now where is NWN2?

Doytch

Zachack said:
Wondering what the pricing will be; if it's cheap enough I'd definitely like to play Sacrifice again. Also, the Fallout 1 art they have looks different than the original boxart.

Now where is NWN2?

Just get the retail versions of NWN2. Atari's been dicking around with Steam and NWN2 for ages now.

Doytch

Zachack said:
Won't buy a game with that kind of DRM.

OK. I don't buy stuff with harsh DRM too, but just wanted to make sure you knew it was just a disc-check, and none of the other Securom stuff (like install limits) is used.

Zachack

Doytch said:
OK. I don't buy stuff with harsh DRM too, but just wanted to make sure you knew it was just a disc-check, and none of the other Securom stuff (like install limits) is used.
I was under the impression that NWN2 used one of the more rootkit-y DRM methods...?

Doytch

Zachack said:
I was under the impression that NWN2 used one of the more rootkit-y DRM methods...?

It uses a version of Securom. Like all Securom games, it installs some hidden files and adds some entries your registry. Unlike all Securom games, it only does disc checks and doesn't make you stay online or limit your installs. Basically the same implementation that Fallout 3 went with (sans Windows Live natch). It's something I'll personally put up with.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
vocab said:
So what's the release date of Fallout 1, and 2, tactics. Also, price point?

Release Date, right now, as in they just got uploaded, price, 9.99/8.99 USD sperate and 20 USD in a pack. Yea, no good this time Steam, GOG has you beat on price.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
HooYaH said:
It always ran fine on 7, though there are some punkbuster problems.

Newest version of punkbuster works fine with my Windows 7, before I updated I had problems though.

Volcynika

Shard said:
Release Date, right now, as in they just got uploaded, price, 9.99/8.99 USD sperate and 20 USD in a pack. Yea, no good this time Steam, GOG has you beat on price.

Well GOG's site doesn't want to take my credit card or give me any feedback, so Steam wins this battle again!

Lothars

Shard said:

Well for the pack, it's pretty much the same price because it's all 3 fallout games 5.99 on gog? and 19.99 on steam for all 3?

if anything a couple dollar difference but not that bad at all.

I would still recommend it on GOG first but I think getting fallout on steam is worthwhile if you want all the games at the same place.

Edit: Changed the amount, I said a dollar difference and it's more than I said.

Haeleos

lothars said:
Well for the pack, it's pretty much the same price because it's all 3 fallout games 5.99 on gog? and 19.99 on steam for all 3?

if anything a dollar difference but not that bad at all.

Math fail.

lothars said:

if anything a dollar difference but not that bad at all.

You're still paying more for what is effectively an inferior product.

Lothars

Peronthious said:
You're still paying more for what is effectively an inferior product.

I don't know if it's inferior but It is nice to have them on GOG without DRM but Steams DRM isn't that bad at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Fallout games are awesome, but I already own them on a DVD and I would probably buy them from GOG anyway even if I didn't.

PuppetSlave said:
Is Fallout tactics any good?

I heard bad things when it was released so I skipped it but... It's fallout, I am tempted :D

Oh it's quite good, just don't go in expecting another fallout in the vein of 1 and 2. It takes that same combat system and fleshed it out into a full game experience, more comparable to Jagged Alliance, at least as far as the main gameplay.

And ffs, get it from GoG :lol

Shawsie64

Banned
Visualante said:
So any Osmos impressions? I wanna get it but I'm not sure about it's depth.

I bought it on a whim this morning, haven't played It as im at work. Ill come back later with impressions though..

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Steam Weekend Deal - Save 50% on 1701 A.D.
August 20, 2009, 2:26 pm - Valve
Sometimes you have to start the weekend a little early. Gives you more time to play the rich Strategy Sim 1701A.D. from developer Sunflowers and publisher Aspyr.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Shard said:
The Steam Weekend Deal - Save 50% on 1701 A.D.
August 20, 2009, 2:26 pm - Valve
Sometimes you have to start the weekend a little early. Gives you more time to play the rich Strategy Sim 1701A.D. from developer Sunflowers and publisher Aspyr.

give me 1404 you clowns.

Blizzard

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
just use paypal
After reading some of the horror stories about PayPal on Slashdot recently (though granted, mostly about buying/selling through Ebay or whatnot) I think I'd almost be more worried about Paypal than I would about Valve randomly disabling my account over a weekend like happened to those two guys here. :lol

legend166 said:
Is Anno 1701 worth picking up?

I've never played any Anno games.

Do you enjoy city builders? By that I mean more direct city builders such as the Caesar series and similar games, though if you like SimCity-esque experiences this may work for you as well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
legend166 said:
Is Anno 1701 worth picking up?

I've never played any Anno games.
Apparently it only works if you're on Windows XP or 2000. So, keep that in mind.

From the product page:

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows®XP or Windows®2000 English Version — This product does not support Windows 95/98/ME, NT or Vista!

Wow.

Htown said:
Apparently it only works if you're on Windows XP or 2000. So, keep that in mind.

From the product page:

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows®XP or Windows®2000 English Version — This product does not support Windows 95/98/ME, NT or Vista!

Wow.

Yes it does. I just got done playing it for a bit in Vista, no special modifications done.

legend166

Htown said:

From the product page:

Wow.

I'm using Windows 7.

:S

I played 1701 to death on a Vista 64 system with no trouble. It's a great game if you like city builders. It is certainly a more consistent offering than Settlers 6 (although I loved that game as well).

I was hoping do get into Osmos more than I did but there are far too few relaxed levels (the Eurogamer "chill" sold me) and some of the cooler, physics-based ideas are abandoned too quickly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got Anno 1701 from Gamersgate a long time ago for like $10 or $15 during a sale. It is a great game, but I definitely prefer Anno 1404 now that it is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom