• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Yeah it does seem European PC gamers get straight up jacked with prices on Steam. Which is a shame.

Of course European gamers could always have an American gamer gift a game but this is somewhat of a pain.

Haden

Banned
drizzle said:
I don't see one good game in that Interplay list.. :D

People do like GOG in here, and i think it's mostly because it has old games that you can't find anywhere else, which is a good thing, don't get me wrong.

I do understand that it's more desirable for people that live in the US to get old games that you can't buy anywhere else than games that you can go out and buy anywhere for the same price or less.

Since I don't live in the US, the fact that GOG doesn't have most new games (that I can't go out and buy) or that Direct2Drive has shitty international lock outs (which is really stupid, and also happens on Steam, but to a minor extent), Steam is really the best (and only, as far as i'm concerned) digital distribution service that's worth a damn.

Specially since it integrates everything so easily.

Sacrifice, Hostile Waters, Giants, Fallout games. None of those are good?

colinp

Banned
Does Steam have support staff on the weekend? They locked my account because they saw "suspicious" credit card activity on my account, which is appreciated except I can't fucking play the games I downloaded until they acknowledge my verification of the purchases.

The best part is they locked it Friday afternoon, so my weekend of Steam gaming is now just a dream.

THIS IS A GREAT INTRODUCTION TO YOUR SERVICE VALVE!

epmode

colinp said:
Does Steam have support staff on the weekend?
No sir. Steam support seems to be Monday-Friday 9-5 Pacific Time. You'll generally have to wait 1 business day for a response.

Sorry about your problem, that sucks.

BTW, does offline mode work? I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as you've successfully launched the game in the past.

colinp

Banned
epmode said:
No sir. Steam support seems to be Monday-Friday 9-5 Pacific Time. You'll generally have to wait 1 business day for a response.

Sorry about your problem, that sucks.

BTW, does offline mode work? I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as you've successfully launched the game in the past.

Once they lock your account you cannot login to Steam, period. So I cannot even launch Steam to switch over to offline mode.

The lesson, I think, is to always use offline mode so if they decide to fuck your account you can still access all of your games.

Blizzard

Banned
colinp said:
Once they lock your account you cannot login to Steam, period. So I cannot even launch Steam to switch over to offline mode.

The lesson, I think, is to always use offline mode so if they decide to fuck your account you can still access all of your games.
So even if you disconnect/disable your network connection so the login attempt times out, it doesn't give you the option for offline mode? That sucks. :(

colinp said:
Does Steam have support staff on the weekend? They locked my account because they saw "suspicious" credit card activity on my account, which is appreciated except I can't fucking play the games I downloaded until they acknowledge my verification of the purchases.

The best part is they locked it Friday afternoon, so my weekend of Steam gaming is now just a dream.

THIS IS A GREAT INTRODUCTION TO YOUR SERVICE VALVE!

This exact same thing happened to me on Friday afternoon. I have no idea what they mean by suspicious activity, unless using the same credit card I've been using on Steam for over a year to purchase a game is now suspicious.

Blizzard said:
So even if you disconnect/disable your network connection so the login attempt times out, it doesn't give you the option for offline mode? That sucks. :(
The only way you can use offline mode is if the last time you closed Steam it was from an "active" account, however the last time I opened Steam it gave me the "your account has been disabled" message so even if I pull the plug I can't play any games.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, that's a big negative against Steam then. :( I mean, if my credit card was stolen they might have the same sort of flag, but it seems crazy to stop me from playing games at all while it gets sorted out, especially over a weekend.

I would be quite upset. I guess they mean they think that they've suddenly found out you're a criminal and thus your account is disabled?

*edit*

I'd really like to hear the results for both of you. Stuff like this could make me reconsider using Steam, which sucks since I'm not sure there's a better option that doesn't have stuff like SecuROM in games I might want to get, and/or a DVD check.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Doytch said:
Please be Planescape, please be Planescape, please be Planescape, please be Planescape....

I'm imagining a godly Megapack.

Interplay doesn't have those rights anymore.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I finally installed Steam this morning at around 5am. I've never played any of the HalfLife games and finally have a computer worthy of running them.

I noticed that the 'weekend' 66% off sale was still on going so I bought everything HalfLife for 16.99 great deal. I haven't gotten a chance to download any of the stuff (I'm at work now) but I can't wait to get started playing tonight.

Took the steam plunge so now I will be hawking this thread for the deals.

Blizzard

Banned
SuperLurker said:
This exact same thing happened to me on Friday afternoon. I have no idea what they mean by suspicious activity, unless using the same credit card I've been using on Steam for over a year to purchase a game is now suspicious.

The only way you can use offline mode is if the last time you closed Steam it was from an "active" account, however the last time I opened Steam it gave me the "your account has been disabled" message so even if I pull the plug I can't play any games.
Let us know if you and the other guy if either of you have any luck with Steam support today, and become able to play your games again. :(

It's official

http://www.interplay.com/about/article.php?id=31

Careers
In The News
<< Back to News

Interplay Delivers Games to PC Users Via Steam
Interplay Delivers Games to PC Users Via Steam
August 17th, 2009, 9:00 AM - PRESS RELEASE
Interplay titles now available on Steam

(August 17th, 2009) - Interplay Entertainment (Interplay), the publisher of many video game hits, and Valve Corporation (Valve), a developer of leading-edge technologies and software, announced today an agreement to bring Interplay titles to customers worldwide via Steam®, Valve's leading platform for digital content distribution and management.

Beginning today, Interplay titles including Fallout, Sacrifice and Kingpin will become available for purchase via Steam, which makes PC games available online to more than 20 million users worldwide.

"We are excited to offer the millions of Steam customers online access to Interplay titles beginning with some jewels of our classic PC catalog priced below $10," said Herve Caen, Interplay CEO. "Interplay is committed to delivering the best quality titles to PC gamers and distribution on Steam is one of the many steps we are taking to increase accessibility to our content for fans around the world."

Once players have a Steam account, they can sign in from any PC to access their Steam-distributed Interplay games. Because games are associated with their account and not their computer, players can enjoy their favorite Interplay game anytime, anywhere.

For more information about Interplay games on Steam, please visit http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/Interplay/

About Steam

The leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, Steam delivers new releases and online services to over 20 million PC users around the world. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com.
About Interplay

Founded in 1983, Interplay Entertainment is a developer, publisher and licensor of video game software headquartered in Southern California. The company has produced and licensed titles for many of the most popular interactive entertainment software platforms in the action/arcade, adventure/RPG and strategy/puzzle categories. Its portfolio of well-recognized Intellectual Properties includes Battlechess, Clayfighter, Dark Alliance, Descent, Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Giants, Messiah, MDK, Run Like Hell, Sacrifice. Interplay also holds exclusive distribution rights to certain existing Fallout and Redneck titles.

Javaman

:eek:O

Beginning today, Interplay titles including Fallout, Sacrifice and Kingpin will become available for purchase via Steam, which makes PC games available online to more than 20 million users worldwide.

"We are excited to offer the millions of Steam customers online access to Interplay titles beginning with some jewels of our classic PC catalog priced below $10," said Herve Caen, Interplay CEO. "Interplay is committed to delivering the best quality titles to PC gamers and distribution on Steam is one of the many steps we are taking to increase accessibility to our content for fans around the world."
Hi-fives all around!

Is there any chance of getting Carmageddon, Descent-Freespaces, or Wasteland? Does anyone have the full list of released games?

mrgone

Javaman said:
:eek:O

Hi-fives all around!

Is there any chance of getting Carmageddon, Descent-Freespaces, or Wasteland? Does anyone have the full list of released games?

Wasteland might be a tough one - it was developed by Interplay, but published by EA :(

edit: Oh snap! According to Wikipedia, Brian Fargo's inXile Entertainment acquired the rights to Wasteland in 2003. Even twistier

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pre-purchase Football Manager™ 2010 Now
August 17, 2009, 11:07 am - Valve
Football Manager™ 2010 from SEGA and Sports Interactive is now available for pre-order on Steam. Purchase now and receive a free copy of OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast to play right away.

Football Manager™ 2010 is slated for release on October 30, 2009.

Javaman

mrgone said:
Wasteland might be a tough one - it was developed by Interplay, but published by EA :(

edit: Oh snap! According to Wikipedia, Brian Fargo's inXile Entertainment acquired the rights to Wasteland in 2003. Even twistier

I could never figure out how to get into "his" club in Wasteland, something that's haunted me to this day.

Javaman

Strange that there's nothing on steam about these yet.

I forgot about, Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising. It's a bit dated, but an awesome game.

Daigoro

LovingSteam said:

Once players have a Steam account, they can sign in from any PC to access their Steam-distributed Interplay games. Because games are associated with their account and not their computer, players can enjoy their favorite Interplay game anytime, anywhere.

For more information about Interplay games on Steam, please visit http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/Interplay/

not up yet it appears. (i cant find any of the games listed, and the link Interplay provided comes up with nothing.)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
All Aspect Warfare and Angle of Attack Now Available
August 17, 2009, 11:43 am - Valve
With a new update today All Aspect Warfare and Angle of Attack are ready to play.

Get both games in the All Aspect War Pack.

colinp

Banned
Blizzard said:
Well, that's a big negative against Steam then. :( I mean, if my credit card was stolen they might have the same sort of flag, but it seems crazy to stop me from playing games at all while it gets sorted out, especially over a weekend.

I would be quite upset. I guess they mean they think that they've suddenly found out you're a criminal and thus your account is disabled?

*edit*

I'd really like to hear the results for both of you. Stuff like this could make me reconsider using Steam, which sucks since I'm not sure there's a better option that doesn't have stuff like SecuROM in games I might want to get, and/or a DVD check.

They re-enabled my account without any hesitation or further issues Monday afternoon. Wish they had weekend support 'cuz that was patently absurd.

Blizzard

Banned
colinp said:
They re-enabled my account without any hesitation or further issues Monday afternoon. Wish they had weekend support 'cuz that was patently absurd.
I'm glad to hear that. If your next purchase doesn't trigger the same thing, then you're hopefully in the clear. :lol

Mrbob

Yeah I don't see the Interplay titles up yet.

Checking out the steam top 10 CoD4 is back on the list at number 7. No World at War on the top 10 list I'm thinking I'll never see a sale for CoD4. :lol Maybe Activision will offer MW1 as a free preorder incentive for Modern Warfare 2? This is Activision so I really doubt it!

Also, at least Trine is getting some loving again hanging in the top 5 most of the week, right now at number 6. I picked it up over the weekend and it truly is a brilliant game. Game is gorgeous, level design is great not to the dreaded final level yet!), and the music is fantastic.

Javaman

Mrbob said:
Yeah I don't see the Interplay titles up yet.

Checking out the steam top 10 CoD4 is back on the list at number 7. No World at War on the top 10 list I'm thinking I'll never see a sale for CoD4. :lol Maybe Activision will offer MW1 as a free preorder incentive for Modern Warfare 2? This is Activision so I really doubt it!

Also, at least Trine is getting some loving again hanging in the top 5 most of the week, right now at number 6. I picked it up over the weekend and it truly is a brilliant game. Game is gorgeous, level design is great not to the dreaded final level yet!), and the music is fantastic.

Think that's bad? Check out the prices of COD 1 plus expansions. :eek:O

gragy10

Didn't have myself down as a fan of DD services, but grabbing Outrun 2006 for a fiver has made my day. Shame new release prices are such a pisstake. I'm assuming prices are set like that as a sop to retail but considering how low a priority PC software is for the majority of physical stores it's a bit frustrating..

Almak

Dont see any Interplay games here (nothing mentioning it on Steam news either). Not that I'd actually be interested in any of them really. I already have Fallout 1/2 both retail (bundled with Tactics) and on GoG along with Sacrifice, MDK2 and Giants Citizen Kabuto (damn good game).
Just out of curiosity (and for comparison with GoG), is there any news on what's the pricing going to be on those games for EU?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Osmos - Now Available on Steam
August 17, 2009, 8:14 pm - Valve
Enter the ambient world of Osmos - elegant, physics-based gameplay, dreamlike visuals, and a minimalist, electronic soundtrack.

The IGF winner (and finalist in three categories) and PAX 10 Finalist is 10% off until August 25th.

Indiegames.com had this to say about Osmos: "wonderful gameplay... beautifully polished and tantalisingly atmospheric... Osmos mixes puzzle, action and strategy remarkably and all the while does it with great finesse and style."

Blizzard said:
Let us know if you and the other guy if either of you have any luck with Steam support today, and become able to play your games again. :(

Account got reactivated today, I still don't know exactly what caused it to get deactivated in the first place. All they said was that the system that caused it was automated. Now I'm scared to buy anything else :lol

epmode

SuperLurker said:
Account got reactivated today, I still don't know exactly what caused it to get deactivated in the first place. All they said was that the system that caused it was automated. Now I'm scared to buy anything else :lol
I had the same thing happen to me. It only happened once, thankfully.

If it happens again, I suppose you could try using Paypal.

Polk

TheExodu5 said:
CoD + UO should be $10 at most.

United Offensive isn't really worth playing anyhow. CoD's campaign is much better designed.
It's Activision we're talking about and one of the hottest IPs avaible.
Even in usually cheap Poland COD1+UO costs $15 in retail (same price for COD2, COD4 is $20, COD5 $27)

ArjanN

TheExodu5 said:
CoD + UO should be $10 at most.

United Offensive isn't really worth playing anyhow. CoD's campaign is much better designed.

It's been a while since I played them, but I remember the UO campaign being better than the regular CoD campaign.

Zachack

rezuth said:
Kingpin was such a great game, need to rebuy it and play.
Wasn't Kingpin the game that got most of its press from the amount of swearing in the game? I thought it was an extremely mediocre game that barely used the squad-based gameplay they hinted at and was mostly a dull-colored repetitive FPS. IIRC it had decent multi but nothing I'd get excited for these days.

rezuth

Zachack said:
Wasn't Kingpin the game that got most of its press from the amount of swearing in the game? I thought it was an extremely mediocre game that barely used the squad-based gameplay they hinted at and was mostly a dull-colored repetitive FPS. IIRC it had decent multi but nothing I'd get excited for these days.
Man you are crazy! Kingpin was awesome! It had a top notch gangster movie feel, the dialogues were extremly wellwritten, the weapons was great, character interaction was way ahead of its time.

It was one of those games that was like playing a movie.

ArjanN

rezuth said:
Man you are crazy! Kingpin was awesome! It had a top notch gangster movie feel, the dialogues were extremly wellwritten, the weapons was great, character interaction was way ahead of its time.

It was one of those games that was like playing a movie.

When it was released it was good, but playing it a couple of years later, it seemed to have dated pretty badly.

Bluth54 said:
Wow you can even gift your extra copy of Space Siege if you already own it.

Of all the deals they do this for, they pick this one. Oh Valve, you never cease to amuse. Though it's probably more on the publisher side than anything.

Kingpin was pretty mediocre when it came out, to be honest. Given the wealth of top-shelf PC shooters in 1999 I didn't even think twice of dabbling too much into it after playing for a bit, and traded my copy for something else that summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom