• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no interest in 1701 A.D.

However, Droplitz is now on sale at Steam for $1.99. I enjoyed the demo on XBL so I'll be picking this up tonight. If you like puzzlers at all I think it's worth $2, and it has Steam Achievements.

BTW, I actually have Space Siege on disc and like it okay. However, I'd much prefer to have it on Steam, of course. It seems most people hate it. Is it possible to gift games you get as bonuses to other users even if you don't already have it? Or is that only for dupes?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Droplitz Sale - 80% Off Through August 28th!
August 21, 2009, 9:31 am - Valve - Press Release
Make your mark in the new Steam leaderboards! See where you rank among your friends and against all of the Droplitz players world-wide!
Buy now and Save 80%! Sale ends August 28th.

New RailWorks DLC - Stainer 8F Steam Locomotive - Now on Steam
August 21, 2009, 10:43 am - Valve
The Stanier 8F add-on brings to life 73 tonnes of heavy haulage locomotive in RailWorks. Available in two liveries reflecting its long serving life across the UK railway network, and set against the backdrop of a dirt and smoke filled working life, the Stanier 8F 2-8-0 steam locomotive comes with 4 distinct scenarios as well as two extra items of custom rolling stock that served alongside this mighty machine.

Cogs Update Released
August 21, 2009, 10:58 am - Valve - Product Update
Updates to Cogs have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Cogs

Improved language support. Added translations in French, German, Italian, Polish and Russian. Translations provided by LocWorks (www.locworks.net)

Volcynika

TheExodu5 said:
Only with HL2 and Ep1, specifically.

I think there's another non Valve game that supports it. Can't remember which.

Space Siege! :p (People found that out via the Alpha Protocol pre-purchase)

TheExodu5 said:
Only with HL2 and Ep1, specifically.

I think there's another non Valve game that supports it. Can't remember which.

HL2 Deathmatch, as I discovered in the recent HL2 sale. But I believe that came with every copy of HL2, so it should not count.

So I was just browsing Steam the other day when I realized something that I really wish Steam provided, that being wishlists. There are lots of game on Steam that I'm either A) interested in if I can whittle down my backlog enough or B) interested in when they drop in price or go on a weekend sale. I'd dig it if there was some way for me to mark games that I'm interested in and both be able to view that list from my profile or to get e-mail notifications when an item on my wishlist either drops in price or goes on sale.

Does some feature like this already exist and I'm just missing it? If not, I'd love to see it be available sometime.

Kabouter

Peronthious said:
The tests may have been done on release Vista, and changes in subsequent updates/service packs could have changed things.
Worked fine on Vista RC2 :p.
So nah, just that many developers didn't bother to report whether it worked or not back then, or chose better to be safe than sorry like in this case.

Anyhow, Anno 1701 is a great buy for anyone with an interest in city builders/management games. Of course Anno 1404 is better, but this is distinctly different and still well worth playing, plus, you're not gonna be paying anywhere near this little for Anno 1404 :p.

TheFightingFish said:
So I was just browsing Steam the other day when I realized something that I really wish Steam provided, that being wishlists. There are lots of game on Steam that I'm either A) interested in if I can whittle down my backlog enough or B) interested in when they drop in price or go on a weekend sale. I'd dig it if there was some way for me to mark games that I'm interested in and both be able to view that list from my profile or to get e-mail notifications when an item on my wishlist either drops in price or goes on sale.

Does some feature like this already exist and I'm just missing it? If not, I'd love to see it be available sometime.

That is a great idea. Like a tab with "My next games", "my wishlist" or something like that. They could even e-mail you in case of promotions/sales/price reductions on those games. There are a lot of games on Steam that I have interest, but I do not buy they now because of my huge backlog and/or current game price.

Twig

Banned
TheFightingFish said:

Yeah I've long wanted one of those. ):

My tinfoil hat theory is they don't do it because it makes it easier to just wait for the games to go on sale.

More likely they just haven't gotten around to it, yet!

Javaman

Shard said:
New RailWorks DLC - Stainer 8F Steam Locomotive - Now on Steam
August 21, 2009, 10:43 am - Valve
The Stanier 8F add-on brings to life 73 tonnes of heavy haulage locomotive in RailWorks. Available in two liveries reflecting its long serving life across the UK railway network, and set against the backdrop of a dirt and smoke filled working life, the Stanier 8F 2-8-0 steam locomotive comes with 4 distinct scenarios as well as two extra items of custom rolling stock that served alongside this mighty machine.

sgiq7l.jpg

Woohoo!
:eek:P

Fireblend

Banned
Got a quick question. Suppose I'm out of the country, and that enables me to buy games that would be otherwise region-locked where I normally live. If I were to take advantage of the situation and buy some of those games, would they still be playable when I return home?

Plasma

Banned
Fireblend said:
Got a quick question. Suppose I'm out of the country, and that enables me to buy games that would be otherwise region-locked where I normally live. If I were to take advantage of the situation and buy some of those games, would they still be playable when I return home?

I would imagine so because you can gift people games from other regions and they work.

Fireblend said:

Yes, and you can travel by a proxy as well :D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I bought Droplitz and I love it. Really polished puzzle game, sorta like Pipe Mania, I suck at explaining but I find it addictive as hell. Well worth your Euros/Dollars

Kifimbo

Easy_D said:
I bought Droplitz and I love it. Really polished puzzle game, sorta like Pipe Mania, I suck at explaining but I find it addictive as hell. Well worth your Euros/Dollars

Yep. Droplitz is totally worth 2$.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
iWin Games - Now on Steam
August 24, 2009, 4:37 pm - Valve - Press Release
iWin Games Coming to Steam

SAN FRANCISCO - August 24, 2009

iWin, Inc., a leading developer and publisher of online casual games, today announced an agreement with Valve to bring 17 iWin games to Steam®, a leading platform for PC games with over 20 million accounts worldwide.

The first set of iWin games launching Steam will be available August 24th. During the first week of availability, all iWin games will be offered at 25% off their regular price. Special iWin game bundles are also available at huge savings such as the Board Game Collection featuring Risk, Battleship, and Boggle for just $19.99 USD.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

About Steam:
The leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, Steam delivers new releases and online services to over 20 million PC users around the world. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com.

About iWin, Inc.:
iWin is a leading publisher and developer of online casual games for the mass market. The company operates iWin.com and offers over 800 download games, multiplayer games and ad-supported games provided entirely free to the end user. As a multi-platform publisher of casual games, iWin provides extensive resources, financing, marketing, and distribution services to independent game developers throughout the world. iWin has offices in San Francisco, Seattle and Kiev,Ukraine. Visit iWin at http://www.iwin.com.

epmode

Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please! are now on Steam. $5 for a package with both games.

GAF, if you have any love for adventure games at all (and I know you do,) GET THESE RIGHT NOW. I've been in love with these for months yet I almost never see them mentioned on GAF.

These are low-budgety indie adenture games in the LucasArts style. Hell, they're practically love letters to LucasArts. And they're brilliant.

The reviews are good too! http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/timegentlemenplease

And this one: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/14/wot-i-think-time-gentlemen-please/
this is the Sam & Max follow-up I’ve been waiting for. It might star two British blokes rather than a talking dog and rabbit, but it’s the classic comedy pairing of the competent one and the stupid one, both equally psychotic in their own ways, and it doesn’t express this simply by catchphrases and references to off-camera violence. Dan and Ben are clearly, clearly friends, share the same goals (I’m going to avoid going into the plot, as it’s a little over-complicated and, frankly, better told by the game than by me) and both bring something useful to the team. They’re self-interested to a glorious tee, and the game never, ever makes the mistake of thinking the supporting cast should be anything more than brief comedy props. I do apologise that there have so many back-handed digs at Telltale’s style in what’s ostensibly a discussion somebody else’s game, but honestly: it stems from joyous relief that, finally, someone’s done it right.

God almightly, get them now.

epmode said:
Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please! are now on Steam. $5 for a package with both games.

GAF, if you have any love for adventure games at all (and I know you do,) GET THESE RIGHT NOW. I've been in love with these for months yet I almost never see them mentioned on GAF.

These are low-budgety indie adenture games in the LucasArts style. Hell, they're practically love letters to LucasArts. And they're brilliant.

The reviews are good too! http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/timegentlemenplease

And this one: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/14/wot-i-think-time-gentlemen-please/

Now I can get behind this key feature:

- Graphics AND sound effects!

eznark

Banned
epmode said:

May I ask the much hated "how long are they?"

epmode

eznark said:
May I ask the much hated "how long are they?"
Um, 6-8 hours for the first one, a little longer for the second?

It's hard to give an accurate number. Most of my time was spent [looking-at/using/talking-to/using-Dan-on] absolutely everything, since you usually wind up with a unique response. Such a rad game.

And if you're still not sure, the first game is actually free: http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=17

Try, try!

nny

epmode said:

Been meaning to try them for a while, but never got around to...so when I saw them on Steam's first page I got them immediately.

edit: For the undecided, here's the 9/10 Eurogamer review that got me interested in these games.

Rock Paper Shotgun had my interest piqued, and I'm a sucker for the $5 games, so Steam has made yet another hole in my virtual wallet. Hopefully these are as awesome as they look.

I got Droplitz the other day too. I'm not usually a big fan of puzzle games, but the gameplay is pretty interesting and unique. My only complaint is that the mouse sensitivity seems really low -- anyone know how to work around that? I may give it a stab with the 360 pad, but it seems like it would work better with a mouse.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Been playing Buckets Of Blood. :lol

It really isn't a bad game to waste an hour a day playing.

How do I get more guns though? The pistol in't cutting it.

epmode said:
Because Steam is convenient, while remembering another username/password for a site that may go down in the future isn't? Who cares. More exposure is good for these guys.

SO has anyone tried it yet?

Oh certainly, more exposure is great, and more power to them if they get a bunch more sales through steam they would have otherwise. I bought it a while back when it came out and can vouch for it being a great adventure game, especially if you enjoy the humor in lucasarts adventures and the like. As with most games in the genre parts can be a bit infuriating, but for the most part it's much easier than similar games.

Also, leading an army of dinosaurs against a giant robot commanding hitler. nuff said

rohlfinator said:
I got Droplitz the other day too. I'm not usually a big fan of puzzle games, but the gameplay is pretty interesting and unique. My only complaint is that the mouse sensitivity seems really low -- anyone know how to work around that? I may give it a stab with the 360 pad, but it seems like it would work better with a mouse.

Sadly, Droplitz doesn't seem to support the 360 controller. You'd think it would, but it didn't seem to recognize mine like other games do. In fact, there are very few options in-game, and you have to fiddle around with command line settings to get the game to run fullscreen at most monitor resolutions. I don't have a problem with the mouse controls, personally.

Not saying I don't like the game, because I do, and I recommend it at $2, but these things were a little disappointing.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Sadly, Droplitz doesn't seem to support the 360 controller. You'd think it would, but it didn't seem to recognize mine like other games do. In fact, there are very few options in-game, and you have to fiddle around with command line settings to get the game to run fullscreen at most monitor resolutions. I don't have a problem with the mouse controls, personally.

Not saying I don't like the game, because I do, and I recommend it at $2, but these things were a little disappointing.
Yeah, I ran into the resolution thing too. Now that I think about it, that might be why my mouse felt slow, since it may have been trying to render in 1080p on my 720p screen.

It's hard to complain too much about a $2 game, but it does feel like a really quick-and-dirty port from XBLA.

NIN90

Finally, Petz® Horsez® 2, Petz® Catz® 2 and Petz® Dogz® 2 are on Steam!

yay!

They even registered catz, horsez and dogz lol

I hate these multi-pack weekend deals. Probably you already own some of the games (I have at least 3 of this pack) and you keep arguing with yourself if you should buy the pack anyway.

This week, no thanks.

Proc

Add me to that list...I own DoW2, titan quest, and stalker and am actually looking for a "real" rts with an active community. DoW seems like it would've fit the bill. Maybe they'll have a DoW pack deal come friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom