• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fantastic Fall Sale - All Strategy First Games 50% Off!
September 1, 2009, 1:09 pm - Valve
Get any and all Strategy First games for half off through September 7th.

Space Empires IV Deluxe, Dangerous Waters, Jagged Alliance 2, Disciples II Gold, Jagged Alliance 2 / Disciples II Gold Combo, Birth of America, Iron Warriors, Space Empires V,Classic Naval Combat Pack, Complete Naval Combat Pack, Ghost Master, Vegas - Make It Big, FlatOut, Making History: The Calm and The Storm, Space Empires IV and V Pack, Ducati World Championship, Alien Shooter: Vengeance, Culpa Innata, DarkStar One, Jack Keane, Sacred Gold, Exodus From the Earth, Perimeter 2, SlamIt Pinball: Big Score, SFI Complete Pack, BC Kings, Port Royale 2, Ankh - Heart of Osiris, Ankh - Battle of the Gods, The Ankh Pack

Erudite

Shard said:
Fantastic Fall Sale - All Strategy First Games 50% Off!
September 1, 2009, 1:09 pm - Valve
Get any and all Strategy First games for half off through September 7th.

... Sacred Gold ...
Hmm... Does Sacred 1 let you play through the campaign cooperatively? Kinda tempting at $5.

So, I got Windows 7 from MSDNAA. 64 bit professional. Liking it so far, and everything was going smooth until...well...Steam decided to crap itself.

Yep, you see, Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode, when it isn't (I've checked). I've tried this frequently linked to webpage's method, but no dice. I've also reinstalled it and such, but again, it doesn't work.

link

Ugh. Anybody overcome this? The sad thing is that it was ACTUALLY WORKING for me maybe an hour and a half ago.

Darkstar One and Flat Out for £2.99 each? Sooooooold.

I love buying stuff that cheap, if I hate the game or barely play it I don't feel as bad :lol

Edit: Ergh, why does Steam have to use bloody Internet Explorer, I have nothing but problems with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
randomlyrossy said:
Darkstar One and Flat Out for £2.99 each? Sooooooold.

I love buying stuff that cheap, if I hate the game or barely play it I don't feel as bad :lol

Edit: Ergh, why does Steam have to use bloody Internet Explorer, I have nothing but problems with it.

I think IE is pretty much the standard for launcher programs like Steam and MMORPG patchers, etc... I guess they just want to use a browser that they know everyone will have installed and they don't want to have to bundle some other company's browser in their software.

legend166

Jonny The Pie King said:
So, I got Windows 7 from MSDNAA. 64 bit professional. Liking it so far, and everything was going smooth until...well...Steam decided to crap itself.

Yep, you see, Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode, when it isn't (I've checked). I've tried this frequently linked to webpage's method, but no dice. I've also reinstalled it and such, but again, it doesn't work.

link

Ugh. Anybody overcome this? The sad thing is that it was ACTUALLY WORKING for me maybe an hour and a half ago.

That's odd. I'm using 64bit W7 Pro and Steam works perfect for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Jonny The Pie King said:

link

That drove me insane. I can't remember if totally uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it, though I do think I lost a bunch of installed games and maybe some save games that way. :p

I think what I finally did was manually search through the registry for steam.exe and removed whatever crazy links have it set to run in compatibility mode.

I can't remember what triggered it either, probably some automatic detection thing after I was trying to get a Steam GAME working in compatibility mode.

Blizzard said:
That drove me insane. I can't remember if totally uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it, though I do think I lost a bunch of installed games and maybe some save games that way. :p

I think what I finally did was manually search through the registry for steam.exe and removed whatever crazy links have it set to run in compatibility mode.

I can't remember what triggered it either, probably some automatic detection thing after I was trying to get a Steam GAME working in compatibility mode.

Just did another clean install, after deleting the registries and rebooting, no dice. Same error.

This is seriously pissing me off. It's still working absolutely fine for my friend with Windows 7 too. Ugh.

Awesome, I've been waiting for another Strategy First sale to pick up Dangerous Waters. Now to decide whether to just get that, or get the whole naval combat pack; I played the Fleet Command demo years ago and loved the thing.

Blizzard

Banned
Jonny The Pie King said:
Just did another clean install, after deleting the registries and rebooting, no dice. Same error.

This is seriously pissing me off. It's still working absolutely fine for my friend with Windows 7 too. Ugh.
I have the Windows 7 64-bit RC, and I'm almost sure that it's a registry issue for you, unless it actually popped up the "detected incompatibility" warning. All your shortcuts are also set to launch with no compatibility mode for Steam, right?

If you literally remove every reference to Steam.exe from the registry, that should fix it...other than that I have no idea. I'm just glad mine works. :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Line Rider 2:Unbound - Now Available on Steam
September 2, 2009, 2:00 pm - Valve - Product Release
Go beyond the Internet phenomenon with Line Rider 2:Unbound — new game modes, new line riders, new community features and new creative tools.

Create and play in 3 modes: Story mode, Puzzle Creation mode or Freestyle mode.

Post you best tracks and challenge the Line Rider community to solve your puzzles.

Check out the 12 new line types (including acceleration, trick, zoom, trampoline, trap door and destructible lines)

Tons of sound and particle effects

(Unfortunately, only available in North America at this time.)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Normally I'm one to buy retail copies, but I hate the Borderlands boxart with a passionate fury, so I'm down for a STEAM pre order!

Lyphen said:
Normally I'm one to buy retail copies, but I hate the Borderlands boxart with a passionate fury, so I'm down for a STEAM pre order!

And this, gentlemen, is an example of doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons. ;)

Mrbob

Traced-Velocity said:
Looks like Dawn of Discovery is 50% off on Impulse. Fingers crossed Steam's weekend deal is the same thing.

You and me both.

Also Sacred 2 for $19.99 on impulse. I hear the steam version was a bit behind on patches, but hopefully it has caught up!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mrbob said:
You and me both.

Also Sacred 2 for $19.99 on impulse. I hear the steam version was a bit behind on patches, but hopefully it has caught up!

fuuuuck I caved in a month ago and picked up the game on Steam for $49.99 because it had never been on sale since its release. I knew I should have waited!

So, new FEAR 2 DLC is out on steam for $9.99, and the vanilla game is discounted 25%.

Anybody know if the DLC is any good or not? I had a blast with FEAR 2.

randomwab

TouchMyBox said:
So, new FEAR 2 DLC is out on steam for $9.99, and the vanilla game is discounted 25%.

Played the demo for the DLC and the first level, but based on that, it's more FEAR 2. Not that that is a bad thing at all, FEAR 2 has been my favourite FPS of this year, and this seems to be just as awesome as the vanilla single-player, all be it shorter.

In other words, if you life FEAR 2, it's a must buy.

Mrbob

That sale is a bit lame for FEAR 2.

Especially since you can get FEAR 2 on Direct 2 Drive this week for $24.95, and I believe you can put the cd key into steam to activate it.

ArjanN

TouchMyBox said:

I'm downloading it now. First reactions from the official forum seem good. It's short though. (obviously)

Lothars

Peronthious said:
Awesome, I've been waiting for another Strategy First sale to pick up Dangerous Waters. Now to decide whether to just get that, or get the whole naval combat pack; I played the Fleet Command demo years ago and loved the thing.

Just go for the whole naval combat pack, you can't go wrong.

clip

bistromathics said:
on the Steam Friend's list, what does it mean when a user has "(1)" after their id?

It means that someone else, either on your friends list, or in a group, is using the same name.

Xdrive05

bistromathics said:
on the Steam Friend's list, what does it mean when a user has "(1)" after their id?

It's like with you duplicate a file on your computer, it has to amend "(1)" at the end to keep file names unique.

Borderlands on Steam gives me wood. Now it just has to turn out to be a great game...

Hinomura

Nation Red (third person zombie shooter, Steam exclusive extras - 25% off) and Quantz (puzzle - 20% off) available here (EU).

Any words about Nation Red? Just tried demo for few seconds...

So FEAR 2: Reborn took me exactly an hour to get through. There's worse ways to spend ten bucks, but yeah, a little on the short side, especially when I just bought The Lost and Damned for $15.

Technosteve said:
Dawn of Discovery for 25 bucks on Impulse is a good deal, but what the fuck is this targes DRM.

From what I recall, the way Ubisoft has it implemented allows only five activations, period, no resetting of activations or anything of that sort allowed. What's odd is that Tages itself makes these options available to publishers, it's just that Ubisoft chosen not to use the extended functionality.

Tried the nation red demo for a bit, it's pretty fun. Decent arena zombie shooter. Zombie Shooter itself is probably a better buy, but if you're looking for something new, $7.49 isn't bad.

TheExodu5

Banned
Peronthious said:
From what I recall, the way Ubisoft has it implemented allows only five activations, period, no resetting of activations or anything of that sort allowed. What's odd is that Tages itself makes these options available to publishers, it's just that Ubisoft chosen not to use the extended functionality.

3 machine limit, actually.

Not buying Dawn of Discovery, no matter the price, because of this.

Technosteve said:
wait 3 activations on steam makes no sense since i fucking delete shit off my HD to save space all the time.

Impossible, only illegitimate customers ever uninstall software or format their hard drives.

Polk said:
3 machines not 3 times.

So does TAGES differ from SecuRom in this? I only have 1 game with SecuRom and all 5 activations are all used by the same machine, i just format my hard drive every quarter.

vazel

Banned
Sniper Elite is awesome. If you're the sort that likes Red Orchestra it's highly recommended. It's not as sim as RO but it still has enough sim to be satisfying.

procrastinator

Neo Member
Jonny The Pie King said:

Tried putting steam into compatibility mode and then taking it out of it?

I think I'll bite at SFIV for 19€!
Anno for 20 bucks would be awesome as well.

You can play "Splitscreen" in SFIV on one PC, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom