• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bioware games crash and are incredibly finicky about hardware configurations. You'll never get a smooth experience with KotOR/2, Jade Empire or Mass Effect.

That said, they're worth it. Just remember to mash Quick Save every 5 minutes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lyphen said:
Bioware games crash and are incredibly finicky about hardware configurations. You'll never get a smooth experience with KotOR/2, Jade Empire or Mass Effect.

I never encountered any problems with Mass Effect, but I definitely saw a few graphical glitches with KOTOR on a recent play through. There was nothing too major and it never crashed on me, but it is kind of annoying.

ArjanN

Lyphen said:

I had no problems with any of those games.

eznark

Banned
I just installed KOTOR and KOTOR 2 after searching for the damn discs all day yesterday. Of course KOTOR pops up on Steam today.

That said, anyone else unable to move forward or backwards after some battles? Seeminglt randomly my character will get stuck. The game won't freeze or anything, it just sticks. Weird.

GamaFu

Banned
Renasu said:
Just bought KOTOR from steam, and it just crashes when I try to start it on my iMac running windows 7 :(
Same here. :( It just crashes at the start, and nothing I do can make it work.

Inkwell

Banned
I was just wondering if there were any unofficial fan patches or anything like that for KOTOR. Besides waiting for a pack with KOTOR 1&2, I'm holding off buying the game in case there are compatibility issues. I don't think I'll really have any since I'm still running XP. I'm not sure if there is any incompatibility with particular pieces of hardware though.

drkOne

eznark said:
That said, anyone else unable to move forward or backwards after some battles? Seeminglt randomly my character will get stuck. The game won't freeze or anything, it just sticks. Weird.

Yeah, that happened to me with the retail copy, had to save and load to be able to move again.
Bought the Steam version because for some reason the retail wouldn't detect my graphics card (4870), and wouldn't let me set it to more than 800x600…
Who am I kidding, I just can't resist games this good at this price on Steam…

Varna

Has anyone had any issues getting KOTOR to work in widescreen? It's been some time, but I recall the method involving some custom files. Just wondering if the steam version had any issue with this.

Does anyone know if there's any reliable widescreen fixes for KOTOR? I've tried an unofficial patch but didn't seem to work.

^ oh snap :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, so did they fix KoTOR to work on Vista without that dll hack or whatever?

Hopefully they're working on KoTOR2... with all the enhanced media patches thrown in.

God damnit I so desperately want to get SFIV now its on sale but after getting royally screwed over by my bank lately I just don't have the cash. Steam deals suck when you're broke! :(

Erudite

The release of Kotor on Steam got me to re-install my retail copy. Out of curiosity, I checked if any mods were released for it, and I was really surprised to find this
Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon’s Revenge is a mod that provides a significant expansion of content to Bioware’s Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Boasting an epic storyline which encompasses new quests, new party members, new fully voiced characters, new items, and brand new areas, Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon’s Revenge adds many additional hours of gameplay to KoTOR.

Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon’s Revenge is split into multiple questlines, all of which can only be played after the Leviathan section of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic has been completed.
Screenshots. Pretty excited to be going back now :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow. I remember the original mod but didn't know that they blew it out into a full thing. Ugh, will I buy KoTOR for a third time...

Polk

Lyphen said:

KOTOR1 only problems was with Radeon cards (and it was ATI's fault as they fixed it later with some driver update).

Polk said:
KOTOR1 only problems was with Radeon cards (and it was ATI's fault as they fixed it later with some driver update).

Nvidia ftw!

But quick question, how heavy is this as an RPG? Are we talking Final Fantasy 7 RPG or Kingdom Hearts?

Alucrid

Banned
9.99 for KOTOR is the normal price, right? I definitely need to pick this up (since my xbox retail version is shit on the 360) but I need to wait a bit since I just spent some.

Oreoleo

xKilltheMx said:
Nvidia ftw!

But quick question, how heavy is this as an RPG? Are we talking Final Fantasy 7 RPG or Kingdom Hearts?

KOTOR is a wRPG and those are both jRPG's so it's not the easiest comparison to make. I'd say it's somewhere inbetween, probably closer to FF7 than KH.

Cool, finally I can try out another critically acclaimed WRPG, and for pretty cheap, too!

A question, though... I know nothing at all about Star Wars (haven't seen the movies, but played some of the games...) Would that hinder any enjoyment I may otherwise have if I were familiar with the Star Wars universe?

DMczaf

Why would you do that? said:
Cool, finally I can try out another critically acclaimed WRPG, and for pretty cheap, too!

A question, though... I know nothing at all about Star Wars (haven't seen the movies, but played some of the games...) Would that hinder any enjoyment I may otherwise have if I were familiar with the Star Wars universe?

Its set like thousands of years before the movies, so it's great for people who have no idea about the universe. I played KOTOR before ever seeing the movies.

Blizzard

Banned
I just tried KOTOR on Windows 7 RC 64-bit. No, there's no option for 1680x1050 ratio, though the 1280x960 resolution doesn't look bad and I could probably play it at that size. If anyone knows how to mod it without causing problems please let me know.

The sound and graphics seems fine otherwise. The cutscene intro movie seemed a little jerky, but that's basically every video or game on Windows 7 for me, so I assume it's just my computer or stupid default codecs. I've heard the shark007 codecs or whatever recommended...does anyone have experience with that? Are they legal?

Polk

Blizzard said:
I just tried KOTOR on Windows 7 RC 64-bit. No, there's no option for 1680x1050 ratio, though the 1280x960 resolution doesn't look bad and I could probably play it at that size. If anyone knows how to mod it without causing problems please let me know.
The only solution I know is posted here.

Orellio said:
KOTOR is a wRPG and those are both jRPG's so it's not the easiest comparison to make. I'd say it's somewhere inbetween, probably closer to FF7 than KH.

wRPG, so would an assumption that it's kind of like an MMO similar to Guild Wars? Your character attacks regularly and you pick the special attacks to use based on stats and such?

Blizzard

Banned
xKilltheMx said:
wRPG, so would an assumption that it's kind of like an MMO similar to Guild Wars? Your character attacks regularly and you pick the special attacks to use based on stats and such?
You pick what weapon, special skill, item, etc. to use, and your character uses it in a semi realtime/turnbased way. You can set things up to be more automatic or less automatic depending on how much control you want.

Under the hood, it has a lot of D&D-related dice rolls and stuff (roll a d20 to determine whether shots hit depending on the situation, roll whatever to see if you can persuade someone in conversation, etc.). You can move around in battle some too, and I -think- sometimes that's a viable strategy. You can also turn off the battle moving thing if you don't like it.

Blizzard said:
You pick what weapon, special skill, item, etc. to use, and your character uses it in a semi realtime/turnbased way. You can set things up to be more automatic or less automatic depending on how much control you want.

Under the hood, it has a lot of D&D-related dice rolls and stuff (roll a d20 to determine whether shots hit depending on the situation, roll whatever to see if you can persuade someone in conversation, etc.). You can move around in battle some too, and I -think- sometimes that's a viable strategy. You can also turn off the battle moving thing if you don't like it.

Thanks sounds like it will be alright, I will wait to see if there's a combo pack with 1 + 2, too bad there's no demo - it would make this a lot easier.

TheExodu5

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
I just noticed Nocturne, DDS and DDS2 are up on amazon.ca, dunno how long they've been there, but i just picked up the latter two. :D

Not sure what bearing this has on Steam, but good to know. :D

Erudite

Blizzard said:

The sound and graphics seems fine otherwise. The cutscene intro movie seemed a little jerky, but that's basically every video or game on Windows 7 for me, so I assume it's just my computer or stupid default codecs. I've heard the shark007 codecs or whatever recommended...does anyone have experience with that? Are they legal?
Played for the last few hours using this to get the game running in 1680x1050 properly. No problems here

Just be sure when you're using 'uniws.exe', you select the "SW:Kotor 1024x768 Interface" option, rather than the "SW:Kotor 800x600 Interface" option.

So I see come Sept 15th D2D will have the game for 7.50, so is it worth the 2.50 saved to not have it registered on steam, with some unknown DRM and have some other place with my CC info?

How is D2D? Is there some Draconian style DRM and I just buy the right to play it when im connected to the internet (because that really wont be possible at all) ?

xKilltheMx said:
So I see come Sept 15th D2D will have the game for 7.50, so is it worth the 2.50 saved to not have it registered on steam, with some unknown DRM and have some other place with my CC info?

How is D2D? Is there some Draconian style DRM and I just buy the right to play it when im connected to the internet (because that really wont be possible at all) ?

Not at all. It's similar to gamersgate, any drm is determined by the individual publishers.

This sale they have going on is quite awesome, finally gave me an excuse to get a more modern sub sim. Been playing aces of the deep and 688(i) for years :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Submarino Conversível said:
Argh region restrictions :(

I'll never be able to buy Civ 4, it's country restricted everywhere
I will gift it to you on Steam. Send a pm if you're interested.

Thanks! A weekend when I do not spend money on Steam (you are killing my wallet, Valve).

(and that is only because I already own Braid, all you others you must spend money now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom