• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipswitch

Lyphen said:
Bioware games crash and are incredibly finicky about hardware configurations. You'll never get a smooth experience with KotOR/2, Jade Empire or Mass Effect.

That said, they're worth it. Just remember to mash Quick Save every 5 minutes.

I'd recommend that folks don't rely on a single game save slot with KOTOR. On my recent playthrough, it crashed as the game was saving and corrupted that particular save file. Since I literally had 40 or so save slots going, it wasn't a big deal for me at the time. But I can't imagine how pissed off I'd be if I relied on a single quick save slot and it got wiped out. Not to mention that there are numerous scripting bugs still left in the game that can prevent you from finishing certain side missions or triggering important conversation options.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Actually didn't like Braid too much myself, but that's because I'm racist against puzzle platformers, so more a reflection of my genre preferences than the game itself.

SlickVic

I've been waiting for Braid to be on the Steam weekend deal ever since it came out. I expected it to be $10 but seeing it at $5 is all the more sweeter. :D

Already got Braid when I bought the massive indie pack a few weeks ago. Can't say I'd buy it alone for $5, but it's still an awesome deal.

GreyMatter said:
Already got Braid when I bought the massive indie pack a few weeks ago. Can't say I'd buy it alone for $5, but it's still an awesome deal.

People are fucked. I bought Braid for the XBLA at full price, and then again on Steam, just because it is such an amazing game. Braid singlehandedly restored my faith in gaming.

GOTY 2008 and 2009.

eznark

Banned
otake said:
mass effect is horrible.
People are fucked. I bought Mass Effect for the XBox at full price, and then again on Steam, just because it is such an amazing game. Rex singlehandedly restored my faith in gaming.

GOTY 2008 and 2009.

Twig

Banned
eznark said:
People are fucked. I bought Mass Effect for the XBox at full price, and then again on Steam, just because it is such an amazing game. Rex singlehandedly restored my faith in gaming.

GOTY 2008 and 2009.
Wrex.

Also what $5 what will buy.

eznark said:

GOTY 2008 and 2009.

Touche, Costmart.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Dipswitch said:
I'd recommend that folks don't rely on a single game save slot with KOTOR. On my recent playthrough, it crashed as the game was saving and corrupted that particular save file. Since I literally had 40 or so save slots going, it wasn't a big deal for me at the time. But I can't imagine how pissed off I'd be if I relied on a single quick save slot and it got wiped out. Not to mention that there are numerous scripting bugs still left in the game that can prevent you from finishing certain side missions or triggering important conversation options.
I guess that's the new standard in WRPGs.

SyNapSe

I think I'll try that Braid at $5. I don't generally like puzzle platformer types but there isn't much to lose at that price.

webrunner

ArjanN said:
Wat.

Using multiple save slots whenever possible has always been the standard in wRPGs. Hell, in all games.

I like to keep one save when 'safe', ie, when I can move around and do sidequests, and another inside dungeons/etc where it would be impossible or difficult to return to town.

Then, depending on the game, I might start on a new save if I feel there's a major point to return to (I have a save just before the
Rex vs Ray fight
in MGS4 in case I want to do it again, for instance)

firehawk12 said:
So, it looks like EA abandoned Steam for Impulse:
http://www.impulsedriven.com/publisher/electronic_arts

Sims 3, Red Alert 3 expansion and Dragon Age available for (pre)order. I wonder if it's as simple as Impulse giving them a better deal or if there's something else going on.

That does not mean they will not end on Steam eventually (or the pre-order starts soon) but I guess that The Sims is a property EA wants a tight control and until now was only available at their online store.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Impulse had Red Faction: Guerilla up before Steam for pre-order too. I am slightly worried though. I would rather not split my library. Why can't both services have all games?

WHOA WHOA WHOA. HOLD THE EFFIN PRESSES! why the FUCK did gaf not tell me the Jedi Knight series was coming to Steam next week? HOLY SHIT jedi academy is like 40 bucks and other outrageous prices elsewhere and steam will probably have it for 9.99. Fuck. yes.

Lothars

Chiaroscuro said:
That does not mean they will not end on Steam eventually (or the pre-order starts soon) but I guess that The Sims is a property EA wants a tight control and until now was only available at their online store.

Agreed, I think that's what will happen especially since Impulse had red faction before Steam but it did appear on steam so they will appear in Steam sooner than later I would bet.

Lothars

xKilltheMx said:
WHOA WHOA WHOA. HOLD THE EFFIN PRESSES! why the FUCK did gaf not tell me the Jedi Knight series was coming to Steam next week? HOLY SHIT jedi academy is like 40 bucks and other outrageous prices elsewhere and steam will probably have it for 9.99. Fuck. yes.

That's awesome, I will be buying it all especially Jedi Academy, I've been wanting to play them all for the longest time but can't find my cd's

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Resident Evil™ 5 Now Available for Pre-Purchase
September 11, 2009, 4:52 pm - Valve - General Announcement
A biological agent is transforming the populace into aggressive and disturbing creatures, and it's your job to investigate.

Chris Redfield, protagonist of the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Code Veronica, returns and is joined by new playable character Sheva Aloma. The two of you will experience fear together, in co-op mode, as terror moves out of the shadows and into the light of day in Resident Evil™ 5, now available for pre-purchase via Steam.

Buy now and save 10%!

grif1020 said:
Impulse had Red Faction: Guerilla up before Steam for pre-order too. I am slightly worried though. I would rather not split my library. Why can't both services have all games?
Honestly (and a part of me feels horrible for thinking this), I'm kind of glad to see a large publisher like EA give some timed exclusivity to a lesser-known DD service. I love Steam, but strong competition is a good thing and Impulse is a good service, and if this is what it takes to attract users to it, I'm okay with that.

bee

you can see where their pricing comes from, re5 is £27 ($45) which seems like a normal US price but its only £17 retail here ($28) so ye fuck steam again in europe

careksims

Dammit. RE5 unlock in 3 days. Ugh Don't have money for it. Hopefully down the road there is a Weekend Steam deal. Hopefully the mods will be as crazy as RE4's

So IF EA is not supporting Steam, does that mean no Mass Effect 2 on Steam?

Slavik81

bee said:
you can see where their pricing comes from, re5 is £27 ($45) which seems like a normal US price but its only £17 retail here ($28) so ye fuck steam again in europe
So you're complaining that Steam has the same price as the retail US copy of the game, rather than the retail European version?

Why aren't you instead just celebrating that you're able to get Resident Evil 5 for $30 after tax rather than $45 that Americans have to pay? That's ridiculously cheap.

I'd buy it day one if that was how much it cost here...

Mrbob

Zumas revenge $19.99...the era of 10 dollar popcap games on steam are over. :(

Also, if SF4 is any indication wait a couple months and RE5 should be on a weekend deal.

bee

Slavik81 said:
So you're complaining that Steam has the same price as the retail US copy of the game, rather than the retail European version?

Why aren't you instead just celebrating that you're able to get Resident Evil 5 for $30 after tax rather than $45 that Americans have to pay? That's ridiculously cheap.

I'd buy it day one if that was how much it cost here...

of course i'm complaining it has the US price in europe, pc games have been this price in the UK for a very long time, i see no reason to pay more for a version i can't resell after finishing it

http://www.zavvi.co.uk/zavvi/10048612.product?affil=awin&awc=2549_1252694441_994a3e826a18e008fd35741825f03c8c

Gattsu25

Banned
rohlfinator said:
Honestly (and a part of me feels horrible for thinking this), I'm kind of glad to see a large publisher like EA give some timed exclusivity to a lesser-known DD service. I love Steam, but strong competition is a good thing and Impulse is a good service, and if this is what it takes to attract users to it, I'm okay with that.

Yup

I like Impulse, so far.

Not as much as I liked their older download service, though

Oreoleo

Shard said:
Resident Evil™ 5 Now Available for Pre-Purchase
September 11, 2009, 4:52 pm - Valve - General Announcement
A biological agent is transforming the populace into aggressive and disturbing creatures, and it's your job to investigate.

Chris Redfield, protagonist of the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Code Veronica, returns and is joined by new playable character Sheva Aloma. The two of you will experience fear together, in co-op mode, as terror moves out of the shadows and into the light of day in Resident Evil™ 5, now available for pre-purchase via Steam.

Buy now and save 10%!

Finally! Been waiting on this for a while. Anyone else planning on picking this up? I may or may not want to go through it in co-op.

Great RE5 showing up.... and I already maxed out this month game purchases. I may give up Red Faction too, left them for an upcoming weekend deal (although 2 free games is quite a good offer).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mrbob said:
Zumas revenge $19.99...the era of 10 dollar popcap games on steam are over. :(

Also, if SF4 is any indication wait a couple months and RE5 should be on a weekend deal.
17.99! I'm sure it'll be $10 in a month at most, but I'm getting it day one. Game looks great. Can't believe that and Batman are coming out the same day. *drool*

Def Jukie

Why is everyone assuming EA games are no longer going to be available on Steam? Maybe they are looking to get their games on some more DD services. Unless they come out with a statement saying they are going exclusive I would not read into this at all.

scarybore

So glad that Resident Evil 5 will be on Steam, was worried Capcom might not bother for whatever reason. I'm gonna have to wait till I actually buy it though, got enough on my plate and the UK price is too high, hard to justify paying so much over a retail copy especially when I already have a console version.

Hopefully Capcom get around to putting Devil May Cry 4 on Steam as well, should have been on there from the start but better late than never is preferable to not at all.

Slavik81

bee said:
of course i'm complaining it has the US price in europe, pc games have been this price in the UK for a very long time, i see no reason to pay more for a version i can't resell after finishing it.
Then buy it elsewhere. You have a choice between quite a number of different places to buy from.

I usually check the prices at a few different stores before I purchase something, rather than deciding that I'll buy everything from a single place. After all, it's very rare for any store to always be the cheapest for everything.

Why bother to complain about Steam when you don't even have to buy from them? It's not like it has a government sponsored monopoly or something.

bee

Slavik81 said:
Why bother to complain about Steam when you don't even have to buy from them? It's not like it has a government sponsored monopoly or something.

i do buy from there occasionally, i figure if enough european people whine about their horrific pricing they will eventually change it to mirror euro retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom