• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
grandjedi6 said:
Why can't every consoles have all games?

Putting a game on both consoles takes far more effort than putting a game on multiple download services. Multiple download services = multiple stores. Stores have all the same games.

firehawk12 said:
So, it looks like EA abandoned Steam for Impulse:
http://www.impulsedriven.com/publisher/electronic_artsSims 3, Red Alert 3 expansion and Dragon Age available for (pre)order. I wonder if it's as simple as Impulse giving them a better deal or if there's something else going on.

EA hasn't abandoned Steam. Regarding many of these games? They are on the others like D2D, GG. Dragons Age has been available for pre purchase on D2D for awhile. Steam is usually last to put up games, even waiting until a few days before release. Why is Sims3 not on Steam? Don't know. However, EA hasn't abandoned Steam.

DMczaf

http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames

Every Dark Forces and Jedi Knight game coming Wednesday

# Oh - and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight's pack of awesomeness will be hitting D2D and Steam on the 16th. Love those games. Outcast MultiPlayer FTW!about 4 hours ago from TweetDeck

# @Markatansky What games from the Jedi Knight series? All of em!about 4 hours ago from web in reply to Markatansky

# What part of 'all of em' did you guys not understand! :) Mysteries of the Sith? Yup. Dark Forces? Yup. I really meant ALL!about 3 hours ago from web

Vormund

Loxley said:
I just want the Battlefield series to be available for DD somewhere ><

YES.

They could have chucked up a complete BF2 collection when patch 1.5 came out and sold it for like $9.99

I'm just hoping for more EA games on Steam soon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lucasarts is putting efforts into these releases. They made sure the old adventures games they put out in the first wave of releases ran on modern machines, I don't see why these games would be any different.

Loxley

Whoa, I was just about to pick up a bunch of PS2 games to add to my catalog, but if the Jedi Knight titles are indeed hitting hit Steam next week...I just might have to put that plan on hold.

Def Jukie

I don't know what happened at Lucasarts recently but all the sudden they are freakin awesome. Never thought I would say that again.

Sciz

Def Jukie said:
I don't know what happened at Lucasarts recently but all the sudden they are freakin awesome. Never thought I would say that again.
They got a new president (Darrell Rodriguez) about a year and a half ago who actually gives a damn about what LucasArts used to do and what they used to be. We're just recently starting to see the output from his reign.

Please tell me there is a fix for the comically small menus and text

2uh1t39.jpg

This Jedi Knight info is great to me. I just found out about Jedi Academy last week and played the demo, got addicted, went to find it, saw the $50 (and one of $159) dollar pricetag, stopped looking. Gave up earlier this week and then heard this info. FUCK. YES.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Varna said:
This does not fix the menus. It's still at 640x400 or whatever regardless of what resolution you play at.

I've never manage to find some way around it. :/
Menus are 2d assets, how are you going to make them bigger?
Unless you want them zoomed, which would make them look horrible.

MDSLKTR

So i bought braid, but i have a problem with the resolution. My pc is connected to the hdtv and when i launch the game my tv doesn't recognise the resolution and it just stays blank.
I checked the forums on steam and the only way to launch it is to create a shortcut and add -width 1360 -hight 768 to the .exe
It works perfectly, but when i click on braid in the game tab of steam it reverts to the old resolution. Of course i can keep on using the shortcut i created but i like launching all my games in the steam folder. So is there a way to change the resolution for good?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MDSLKTR said:
So i bought braid, but i have a problem with the resolution. My pc is connected to the hdtv and when i launch the game my tv doesn't recognise the resolution and it just stays blank.
I checked the forums on steam and the only way to launch it is to create a shortcut and add -width 1360 -hight 768 to the .exe
It works perfectly, but when i click on braid in the game tab of steam it reverts to the old resolution. Of course i can keep on using the shortcut i created but i like launching all my games in the steam folder. So is there a way to change the resolution for good?
- right click on the game title from your steam list
- choose properties
- click on the general tab
- choose launch options
- type "-width 1360 -hight 768"

this should work :)

Maybe my screen is too small but I dont see what all the complaints about small menu screens are about in KOTOR. Changing the font size the Large may help, but if not i guess that widescreen thing can help.

Oh and KOTOR is effin awesome. I was hesitant about it when it mentioned dice rolls, but the visuals make up for it. The swords actually clash! And the sparks!

xKilltheMx said:
Oh and KOTOR is effin awesome. I was hesitant about it when it mentioned dice rolls, but the visuals make up for it. The swords actually clash! And the sparks!

Agreed. I am noticing a lot of graphical details that I missed when I played the Xbox version.

Loxley

The news about the Dark Forces and Jedi Knight titles hitting Steam and D2D has inspired me to take the time to watch Gametrailer's Star Wars Retrospective, both as a sort of history lesson so I can know a little more about some of the titles coming out that I'd never played, and to remind me how kick-ass the ones I did play were.

So amped :D

Varna

drizzle said:
Menus are 2d assets, how are you going to make them bigger?
Unless you want them zoomed, which would make them look horrible.

I think I would take horrible looking zoomed menus. I had this game all set up so I could play it at 1080p while I sit on my couch... unfortunately brutal on my eyes to try to use the menu from that distance.

Fredescu

Varna said:
This does not fix the menus. It's still at 640x400 or whatever regardless of what resolution you play at.

I've never manage to find some way around it. :/
Maybe I don't know what's meant by that screenshot, but I'm playing Kotor (non steam) at 1920x1200 and it looks nothing like that. The only thing I did was follow the instructions in that link.

squinters

astigmatic
Thanks to Steam I'm actually gonna get the chance to play classic PC games without spending an arm and a leg. Is the general consensus that the first Jedi Knight is a better game? Because I played Jedi Outcast and loved it so I'd be pretty excited if the original was just as good or greater.

P.S. Would love to see System Shock 2 hit Steam as well.

squinters said:
Thanks to Steam I'm actually gonna get the chance to play classic PC games without spending an arm and a leg. Is the general consensus that the first Jedi Knight is a better game? Because I played Jedi Outcast and loved it so I'd be pretty excited if the original was just as good or greater.

Out of Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy, I preferred Outcast.

MNC

squinters said:

SYSTEM SHOCK YESSS AND FULL COMPATIBILITY INSTEAD OF THIS PATCHING SHIT

Oh my God.

xKilltheMx said:
Maybe my screen is too small but I dont see what all the complaints about small menu screens are about in KOTOR. Changing the font size the Large may help, but if not i guess that widescreen thing can help.

That screencap was taken with large font turned on, lol.

I love the game. I just think its sloppy as hell that the menus and text aren't scalable.

Fredescu said:
Maybe I don't know what's meant by that screenshot, but I'm playing Kotor (non steam) at 1920x1200 and it looks nothing like that. The only thing I did was follow the instructions in that link.
I would use that fix, but this is taken from that link:

Unfortunately, because the Steam version executable is encrypted, UniWS can not be used to modify the Steam version of the game directly. However, UniWS will work on a no-CD (cracked) executable of the original disc version of the game. This executable can in turn be used with the Steam version's content files to play the Steam version in widescreen.

1. We can not provide direct links to the no-CD executable, but search on "Kotor no-CD" in the search engine of your choice and you should find it quickly. Please be aware that using one could be seen as a violation of Steam's Subscriber Agreement, and you accept full responsibility for whatever resulting consequences, if any.

:(

Blizzard

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
I would use that fix, but this is taken from that link:

Unfortunately, because the Steam version executable is encrypted, UniWS can not be used to modify the Steam version of the game directly. However, UniWS will work on a no-CD (cracked) executable of the original disc version of the game. This executable can in turn be used with the Steam version's content files to play the Steam version in widescreen.

1. We can not provide direct links to the no-CD executable, but search on "Kotor no-CD" in the search engine of your choice and you should find it quickly. Please be aware that using one could be seen as a violation of Steam's Subscriber Agreement, and you accept full responsibility for whatever resulting consequences, if any.

:(
Nice, that sucks. So not only does Steam provide us with a non-patched version, there's no legal way to fix it. :lol

kai3345

Banned
So I tried to play KOTOR 1 PC on my comp a few months back and it said something like "needs Non-Windows OpenGL something" am I going to need this still to play the game on Steam?

and if so, any idea where to get it?

adg1034

Blizzard said:
Nice, that sucks. So not only does Steam provide us with a non-patched version, there's no legal way to fix it. :lol

Still, this does seem to be one of those necessary evil kind of things. After all, it's not like the Steam version even uses CDs, anyway.

Yes, it sucks, but this is the way Lucasarts decided to release it. At least we have the capability to enhance our copies if we want to.

Fredescu

Does using a cracked exe really violate the Steam subscriber agreement? I can't find where it does. I only skimmed over it fairly quickly though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
...BOUGHT.

And with that, I must cease my steam purchases for a while. That has been a purchase a day for the last three days.

But man, when they put something I've been wanting for a while and tentative about buying on sale for $5, it's like a fucking insta-click.

EDIT: WTF it has ACHIEVEMENTS?! Doubleyou. Tee. Eff.

Does anyone know if any previous Capcom PC games, if purchased at a B&M, have been able to be registered on Steam? Or is that option only for Valve games?

Draft

RocketDarkness said:
Does anyone know if any previous Capcom PC games, if purchased at a B&M, have been able to be registered on Steam? Or is that option only for Valve games?
No. You can launch them through Steam, but you can't "tie" them to your Steam account like DOW2 or FEAR2.

Draft said:
No. You can launch them through Steam, but you can't "tie" them to your Steam account like DOW2 or FEAR2.
Ah, I see. I should probably go with Steam, then. I'm quite fond of physical media, but with all the hubbub about DRM, seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom