• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

Steam is the best possible DRM solution you could possibly find. It doesn't fuck with your system and it still keeps pirates *somewhat* at bay.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How does Steam unlocking work again? Arkham Asylum and Zuma's Revenge both come out the 15th. When will I be able to play them?

Slavik81

Eaten By A Grue said:
How do you not own this by now? It is like a required purchase when you get HL2.
Because until version 10 it was free?
I haven't really kept up with the game. What things have they added since then that would make me want to buy this?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Resident Evil™ 5 Now Available in North and South America
September 15, 2009, 12:04 pm - Valve
Resident Evil 5 is now available in many countries, including those in North and South America, plus most of Asia.

The game will be available on Friday most everywhere else. If you're awaiting the game's release, you can still pick up Resident Evil 5 at a 10% discount on Steam.

Red Faction Guerrilla Now Available
September 15, 2009, 10:41 am - Valve - Product Release
Red Faction®: Guerrilla™, the latest installment in the Red Faction® franchise, is now available via Steam in North and South America and coming later this week to additional territories.

Red Faction: Guerrilla is a 3rd person, open-world shooter set on Mars, 50 years after the events of the original Red Faction®. Players take on the role of freedom fighter Alec Mason, with the newly re-established Red Faction movement, as they battle for liberation from the oppressive Earth Defense Force (EDF). Throughout their fight for freedom, players can carve their own path, wreaking havoc across the vast, open-world environment of Mars, from the desolate mining outpost of Parker to the gleaming EDF capital city of Eos. Utilizing improvised weapons, explosives and re-purposed mining equipment and vehicles, Red Faction: Guerrilla allows players to tear through fully destructible environments in a Martian landscape swarming with EDF forces, Red Faction resistance fighters, and the downtrodden settlers caught in the cross-fire. Red Faction: Guerrilla features a robust multiplayer experience, including several modes focused on destruction-based game-play.

Zuma's Revenge Now Available
September 15, 2009, 11:29 am - Valve - Product Release
Zuma's Revenge, the ribbeting sequel to the ball-blasting classic, releases today on Steam. Try the demo for free.

Collect all 13 Steam Achievements as you battle through 60 levels and engage six mini-game Boss Battles.

androvsky

Ah, I was so excited... Jedi Knight was what finally got me to purchase something through Steam. I hit the purchase button after filling out all my info and all it does is spit out an error with absolutely no hint as to what went wrong. Yay.

Javaman

Woot! looks like they are up. They also packaged the 4 adventure games into a group for 10 bucks.

The second installment of LucasArts titles is now available on Steam worldwide.

The individual titles include:
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Jedi Knight II : Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Or purchase the whole collection and save!
Stars Wars Jedi Knight Collection (20$)

Also available beginning today is the LucasArts Adventure Pack. Get four LucasArts classics for one low price.

Gah, the adventure games are tempting, but they aren't SCUMM :\ I would almost rather they packaged them with DOSBox like with the other legacy releases so the games would be portable.

Zachack

Javaman said:
Woot! looks like they are up. They also packaged the 4 adventure games into a group for 10 bucks.
Knew I should have waited on the adventure games but whatever, worth paying for then.

Anyone know if there are any issues running the Jedi games in Vista 64?

gameplaywise how is Dark Forces 2?

Zachack said:
Knew I should have waited on the adventure games but whatever, worth paying for then.

I can tell you the demos for Outcast and Academy run perfect on Vista 32 Bit.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zachack said:

I am interested to know this to specifically for Dark Forces II. Are the other games in the pack worth picking up?

Zachack

xKilltheMx said:
Like a Quake-era shooter with live-action cutscenes. It's tough to compare because IMO outside of a couple specific levels (like a spaceship level where the place is falling apart and gravity is "rotating") it's a pretty bog-standard game, but it did do a few things at the time which were pretty great (see spaceship level) and did the lightsaber stuff pretty well for a FPS (but again, for the time).

If the question is "is it worth playing", I'd say yes. Mysteries of the Sith, though, iirc I did not like and it had some serious BS sniper crap near the beginning.

Javaman

Volcynika said:
I want to battle Java and knock him off a cliff!

Bring it mang. :lol

I don't like how the naming conventions are different. It's hard to find these while they are mixed in with the uninstalled games. Sorting by Lucasarts doesn't help much since the developer field is blank on some.

The first Dark Forces game is graphically glitchy on my system. Each time I pick up an item and the screen glows it slows down to a crawl. Also going to the menu and out causes the status bars on the bottom not to appear. Hopefully there will be some sort of patch or dox box config fix soon.

yanhero

xKilltheMx said:
Thanks for the replies guys!

Now I have to see if It's worth the 20 for Outcast and Academy (in the bundle of course).

If you ask me, ONLY Outcast and Academy are worth playing now.

yanhero said:
If you ask me, ONLY Outcast and Academy are worth playing now.

Yeah, Im looking through Youtube vids of the others, and though I'm not a graphics whore...these are rough nowadays. Dark Forces 2 looks decent...I guess.

Such a great deal for the adventure games. Too bad the only one I don't own already is The Dig. I would love other Lucasarts packs and would happily buy Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Zack Mckraken, but I own everything else.

yanhero

xKilltheMx said:
Yeah, Im looking through Youtube vids of the others, and though I'm not a graphics whore...these are rough nowadays. Dark Forces 2 looks decent...I guess.

The lightsaber gameplay is also FAR superior in Outcast and Academy. The first 3 games's lightsaber is basically like using the axe in HL.

xKilltheMx said:

A Dark Forces purchase is mostly based off the glorious nostaliga factor it inspires

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dark Forces has that great atmosphere, but came out right before allot of the technical advancements came in. So it hasn't aged all too well compared to the Outcast series. Still, I'd say it's worth it just to get the whole pack for 20. Outcast and Academy are more than worth 20$.

And guess what, I have no Credit card! Lovely =[

madmook

Fuck yeah $20 for that Jedi Knight Collection is a great deal. And since I was only shooting for Outcast and Academy, the rest is a bonus to me. Never played the Dark Forces games before.

madmook said:
Fuck yeah $20 for that Jedi Knight Collection is a great deal. And since I was only shooting for Outcast and Academy, the rest is a bonus to me. Never played the Dark Forces games before.

Yeah, I was only excited for Academy and Outcast and was quoting prices at 50 for Academy. 20 Bucks for the two and the others sounds great and the others will be gravy that I can say I have.

Anybody know how to add dismemberment for Academy? I know you can do it in JK: Outcast but I dont want those lame ass Bloody mods that have dismemberment included.

Oh great, I see they finally released Dank Feces.

Although I have all those games in the pack already (except for the JK expansion), I'll probably buy it anyway because I don't want to fool with the disks and such. I've grown to hate installing games the old fashioned way. I can't remember if my Dark Forces is floppies or CD.

I'll probably get that adventure pack, too. The only one I already own is Fate of Atlantis.

EDIT - My only fear is that they will come out with a bigger, better pack later on that will include these adventure games as well as Day of the Tentacle and the (only good) Sam & Max game. Same thing for the Star Wars stuff. They may have a super-deluxe pack later on that has all the flight games in it too, along with Force Commander, etc.

hermit7

Holy shit!

Does anyone know which of these games would play on a netbook? I am thinking everything except maybe Jedi Academy.

Awesome fact time:

The code for "Fly Mode" in Jedi Knight is "eriamjh", which is an homage to Terry Gilliam's cult classic Brazil.

Helpmann said:
It's as though he's there speaking to
me - "'ere I am, J.H.!" The ghost in
the machine.

brazil4+copy.jpg

hermit7 said:
Does anyone know which of these games would play on a netbook? I am thinking everything except maybe Jedi Academy.

Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast use basically the same engine, so if one works the other probably will, or vice-versa.

Plasma

Banned
Like I was saying earlier if you get Jedi Academy make sure you download MovieBattles, great mod.

Class based objective game play where you use points to buy abilities and weapons.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4969/lavaspirt.1.jpg
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4969/pic15.jpg
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4969/jango.jpg
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4969/pic25.jpg

Download: http://www.moviebattles.com/files_application

Also highly recommend the Dark Forces mod for Jedi Academy, it isn't the full game but it has quite a few of the levels in there from the original game.

Download: http://darkforces.jediknight.net/

Struct09

_tetsuo_ said:
I remember that, at the time of its release, Jedi Outcast blew me away. What a fantastic game.

Same here, contemplating getting the pack just because of that game (the other games are pretty good too).

Volcynika

Posted? Another Unreal Tournament weekend stuffs

Unreal Tournament 3 Black Gets Free Steam Weekend, New Mods
Tomorrow Marks 10-Year Anniversary of Unreal Tournament Demo

CARY, N.C. (September 16, 2009)–Epic Games, Inc. invites everyone to check out Unreal Tournament 3 Black, the premier first-person shooter with more official content and community mods than ever before, completely free of charge starting tomorrow.

Thursday, September 17, marks the 10-year anniversary of the original Unreal Tournament demo release, and to celebrate Epic will kick off a long weekend in which anyone can log onto Valve’s Steam digital distribution service (www.steamgames.com), download Unreal Tournament 3 Black and play the game through the weekend free of charge. Preload for the Free Weekend begins today.

In addition, the original Unreal Tournament will be on sale for $1.99, and both Unreal Tournament 3 Black and the Unreal Deal Pack will be available for 60% off through September 27.

Unreal Tournament 3 Black comprises Unreal Tournament 3 together with the free Titan Pack, a massive bonus pack with countless enhancements and new environments, the Titan mutator, the Greed and Betrayal gametypes, the Stealthbender vehicle, weapons, deployables, characters and more. Unreal Tournament 3 Black also includes over 50 Steamworks Achievements.

Players who purchased Unreal Tournament 3 at retail can enter their retail key by using the "Activate a product on Steam" feature in the Steam client, and Steam will automatically update them to Unreal Tournament 3 Black for free.

In addition to Epic’s internal efforts to support Unreal Tournament 3, hundreds of mod authors have created new levels, characters, weapons, vehicles and total conversions for the game as part of the $1 Million Intel Make Something Unreal Contest (www.makesomethingunreal.com). Phase 4 submissions are being judged now, and notable entries include:

* The Haunted (www.moddb.com/mods/the-haunted)
* Prometheus (www.moddb.com/mods/prometheus)
* The Ball (http://theball.toltecstudios.com/)
* Angels Fall First: Planetstorm (www.affuniverse.com/)
* Sanctum (blog.sanctum-game.com/)
* UT2D Killing Time (www.game-wizards.com/about_game.php?gameid=11)
* Steam Racers (www.steamracers.net/)

Much more is available at www.makesomethingunreal.com and www.fileplanet.com/unreal.

To download Unreal Tournament 3 Black, visit store.steampowered.com/app/13210.

xKilltheMx said:

Best FPS ever. It really is still my favorite FPS... it's pretty much the pre-Half Life with the way things change as you go through stages, etc... and you actually have to think to progress too, the path forward isn't always obvious. There is also an awesome onscreen automap, and a very cool 3d rotatable and zoomable automap of all the rooms in the pause menu. It's got two paths, light and dark, depending on your actions in the first half of the game and a key decision midway. It's fairly long, with lengthy, challenging levels. The force powers are awesome. You get points to spend on force powers, and cannot have both Dark and Light powers at the same time of course, just the 'neutral' powers like pull, etc, and your side of choice. The live-action-video FMV cutscenes are cheesy, but entertaining, and overall I like them. It's just a fantastic game... the level designs are just so exceptional and the huge, expansive levels and large open areas still look pretty cool, even if the graphics have definitely aged a lot. Yes, the puzzles usually involve switches and keys, but they're done far, far too well for me to care.

I wonder if it has online play through Steam... it was a pretty awesome online game back in the day. Four player only online, but pretty fun on Microsoft's IGZ... I doubt it has it in Steam, but maybe? The only place it's been playable online for years now is Gamespy Arcade, which not many people use.

Mysteries of the Sith is great as well. It's not as long as the original game, and just uses in-engine cutscenes instead of live-action video, and the story is more disjointed and doesn't make as much sense, but it makes up for it with more of the exceptional level designs of the original game. The game is broken up into several multi-level themed areas, each with a different story and environment. The final one is my favorite area in the series... it's a set of levels on a planet where you can only use force powers and the saber, not your guns. Now the guns are awesome, but the challenge of having just the saber and powers pushes it above everything else in the game, and just makes it amazing You can still select which force powers you want to spend points on, but this time can choose both dark and light powers. It's kind of lame, even though there is pretty much a storyline explanation (no light Jedi can use dark force powers in Star Wars! It goes against the rules of the universe... and vice versa is largely true as well), but at least you can just choose powers from one side and not both if you want.

Outcast and Academy are pretty disappointing compared to JKII and MotS... instead of the complicated, interesting levels that actually make you think and have to look around where to go next, it's pretty much just following linear paths. The same applies to force powers, you can't choose what you want but are just given stuff. You again get both dark and light powers, but this time with even less explanation than before, and no way to avoid it. Saber control is improved, but that's about the only thing that these games do better than JKII.

edit: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968141
Woah... they REMOVED THE SOUNDTRACKS from JKII and MotS? It was too hard for them to do? Lame... If true, I'd recommend against buying them on Steam, then! The games have awesome CD audio soundtracks with music from the Star Wars movies, and they would be very much worse games without them. If that's true don't bother with the Steam versions. Buy the actual discs!

As for those other problems listed there, with the actual discs the only problem I have had in Vista is that the screen turns black after you launch the game into the menu. I then have to alt-tab out and then back to make the menu appear. This same thing happens if I pause to the menu during play. I'm running it with 3d acceleration enabled, in Vista, and there are no other problems. For the 3d acceleration part though I should note that I have NVidia.

Also, people have made a semi-IGZ replacement? How did I not know about this... sounds interesting. http://www.igzones.com/

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, those are basically exactly the four LucasArts adventures I wanted to get. Buying. :) If someone convinces me I might get one or more of the Star Wars games...I used to watch a guy on my hall play one of the super deathmatch lightsaber ones. Any ideas which it probably was? Lots of jumpy slashy stuff. *edit* Probably JK2.

Nif

Dark Forces 2 is giving me a lot of the same problems my old disc copy does. =( Tons of crashing and bugs in Vista with an ATI card.

epmode

Lucasarts did such a great job with the adventure games, I expected similar care for the classic Star Wars games. How in the hell can you justify releasing a Star Wars game with no music?

Now to find my old CDs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom