• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I just bough the Dark Forces / Jedi OutCast pack which are some of my favorite games ever made. Way to go Lucas Arts I've been waiting for this compilation of games for a long time.

Nif

Poohblaster said:
Wow I just bough the Dark Forces / Jedi OutCast pack which are some of my favorite games ever made. Way to go Lucas Arts I've been waiting for this compilation of games for a long time.

Still waiting for the inevitable Lucasarts pack before I buy too many. That pack should be epic.

androvsky

From Steam forums:
Things you can expect not to work if you buy this from Steam:
A. No music. The original Jedi Knight had its audio on CD, and LEC has decided for various reasons (likely laziness) to not work around this.
B. 3D Acceleration is completely broken for most recent video cards, especially ATI.
C. Crashes are not uncommon with the cutscenes.
D. If it was broken in the retail version for you, it will not work now. There are not any bug fixes, and as a matter of fact, seems to be a direct rip of the the installed folder from the retail game.
E. Software rendering can cause numerous issues including crashes on menu switching, alt tabbing, and more. Also do not be surprised to see color glitches.

The fuck?

Not that it particularly matters to me since I can't get Steam to accept my credit card (finally got past the "unspecified error" thanks to quick tech support). I buy stuff online all the time, live in the U.S., etc. Very frustrating.

androvsky said:
From Steam forums:

The fuck?

Not that it particularly matters to me since I can't get Steam to accept my credit card (finally got past the "unspecified error" thanks to quick tech support). I buy stuff online all the time, live in the U.S., etc. Very frustrating.

I commented on that in my last post... the technical issues will not affect everyone (as I said hardware 3d rendering works fine for me, and apart from the blackscreen in menus alt-tab glitch the game runs just fine), but removing the soundtrack is an unforgivable error. They probably will never fix it, but they should before anyone buys this.

A Black Falcon said:
I commented on that in my last post... the technical issues will not affect everyone (as I said hardware 3d rendering works fine for me, and apart from the blackscreen in menus alt-tab glitch the game runs just fine), but removing the soundtrack is an unforgivable error. They probably will never fix it, but they should before anyone buys this.
Yeah, it's a pretty shitty situation, as the music in Jedi Knight is fan-friggin-tastic. At least I have my old CDs back at home, but I hope someone can make a work-around for this in the near future.

Blizzard

Banned
androvsky said:
From Steam forums:

The fuck?

Awesome, thanks...looks like I won't be playing those games! :lol

androvsky

Blizzard said:
Awesome, thanks...looks like I won't be playing those games! :lol

Keep in mind it's just Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 (the one game I wanted to play) that has these issues. Dark Forces is old enough to run in Dosbox, which means it's fine, and the other two games are new enough to not be based on the old, broken versions of Direct3D.

Now I'm wondering if when they release Tie Fighter, it'll be the Windows 95 version with the bad 3D acceleration support and CD music, then remove the CD music. :/ At least I still have that CD.

Nif

Dark Forces 2 isn't exactly like retail. I couldn't even get the retail game started in Vista, and when I could, I had trouble with cutscenes. I managed to get the steam version going in window mode by adding -devmode -displayconfig -windowgui to a shortcut to JK.exe, and then messing with the advanced settings a bit. Make sure to turn 3D acceleration and "backbuffer in system memory" off.

Too bad about the music and general laziness, though. Lucasarts really needs to fix this. It doesn't look good for the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games. =\

I bought the first KOTOR and am enjoying it immensely thus far. My x1600 macbook pro is getting old these days, so I am doing some classic gaming until I build my new rig next year.

Would you guys recommend the 20 dollar pack that just came out. I admit I am starting to become a Star Wars nerd. Also what is this "adventure" pack?

Won

androvsky said:
From Steam forums:

The fuck?

That really sucks. Never played the Dark Forces games and wanted to get the whole pack, but now I guess I'm gonna skip the whole thing. :/

Well, adventure pack here I come!

BobJustBob said:
I bought a GTX275 graphics card a week or two ago, and it said I would get a code for a free copy of Batman. So now that the PC version is out, I got the code, and it turns out it's a Steam activation key. Free Batman on Steam, whoo!

Here are the details: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_batmanaa_bundle.html

So anyone here that has a code and really hates Batman? :D
Really want this on Steam, but cheaper retail copy makes this hard as always. :/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
We really need to make a list of price ream-age through STEAM to deter the Impusle/GOG/Gamersgate haters.

Not that I don't love STEAM, but I have to sigh at whoever wants a one-DD service future.

Lyphen said:
We really need to make a list of price ream-age through STEAM to deter the Impusle/GOG/Gamersgate haters.

Not that I don't love STEAM, but I have to sigh at whoever wants a one-DD service future.
I agree, competition is great. IMO, Valve wouldn't have worked to get quite a few of the pubs they have if it weren't for competition, not to mention sales. While I prefer keeping all of my games on one service, I welcome all of these companies to continue pushing Valve to better Steam.

epmode

Lyphen said:

I think you're confusing one-DD service people with people who want everything to be available on Steam. Very big difference.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Weekend Deal - Save 50% on The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition
September 17, 2009, 11:09 am - Valve
The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition is 50% off until Monday, September 21st for this week's Weekend Deal and in honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Back by popular demand, The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition faithfully re-imagines the internationally-acclaimed classic game (originally released in 1990) for original and new audiences alike. The development team at LucasArts is bringing the game into the modern era with an all new re-imagined contemporary art style, a re-mastered musical score, full voiceover, and an in-depth hint system to help players through the game's side-splitting puzzles. Purists will also delight in the ability to seamlessly switch between the updated hand-drawn re-imagining and the original classic version.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, I can't believe they gimped on the original DF2/MotS. I guess you can't emulate redbook audio or whatever... but have someone code up some MP3 support or something.
I still think JA is awesome though... so there's that. (But Christ, I want a sequel to the non-canonical cliffhanger ending!)

Also glad I waited on Monkey Island. Woot.

Anyone having trouble downloading UT3 for the free weekend? on the UT3 page there is a "click here" button to download and play, but it takes me nowhere. Anyone else have issues?

Sysgen

KittyKittyBangBang said:
Anyone having trouble downloading UT3 for the free weekend? on the UT3 page there is a "click here" button to download and play, but it takes me nowhere. Anyone else have issues?

Put this into Start->Run steam://run/13210 Perhaps you don't have Steam installed correctly?

noonan

Neo Member
KittyKittyBangBang said:

Yeah, the servers are busy.

Spwn

Geez! Can't keep from buying Monkey Island! Curse you, Steam, yarrr!

Would've bought Trine if 20$ wasn't 20€s in Europe.

DirtRiver

Spwn you should try D2D to buy Trine, its 20 bucks and I think you can buy it there (altought those 5 bucks games can't be bought from Europe altough I once bought World of Goo from them)

Almak

Spwn said:
Geez! Can't keep from buying Monkey Island! Curse you, Steam, yarrr!

Would've bought Trine if 20$ wasn't 20€s in Europe.
Ditto!
So, anyone got their hands on Majesty 2 yet? How is it?

Mrbob

AstroLad said:
Really want DoW2 to go on sale some time again soon so I can buy it for my brother and we can co-op.

There is a free DLC pack coming mid october for the game. It is possible another sale might be timed around its release.

Or if you find a retail copy on sale in a store buy it. DoW2 requires steam to run, so you can put a retail key into steam and unlock it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
graywolf323 said:
too bad it doesn't work >_<
Yup as much as I wanted to replay this, the reported bugs and the lack of music pushed me away - and straight into the arms of Monkey Island - so its not all bad.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
woooah, did i just buy a steam game and not have to enter my credit card info? Or have my steam purchasing habits gotten so bad to the point of highway-hypnosis?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mrbob said:
There is a free DLC pack coming mid october for the game. It is possible another sale might be timed around its release.

Or if you find a retail copy on sale in a store buy it. DoW2 requires steam to run, so you can put a retail key into steam and unlock it.
Oh cool I'll keep my eye out then.

hygraed

bistromathics said:
woooah, did i just buy a steam game and not have to enter my credit card info? Or have my steam purchasing habits gotten so bad to the point of highway-hypnosis?
Steam now remembers your credit card info. I wonder if it remembers your age too, so I don't have to re-enter my birthday every time I want to look at the page for an M-rated game.

Nelo Ice

Banned
$5 games are so hard to resist
good thing i was patient in buying monkey island and gmod.....especially gmod since ive never seen it on sale :lol

Pumpkins

DisenLedZep said:
Bought Garry's Mode for 5 bucks and I'm loving it!
How come GAF's creativity doesn't have a proper Garry's Mode Thread?

Yeah, someone should make a new thread or revive an old one (if there is a proper one).

Garry's Mod is one of the greatest mods ever. I've downloaded so many custom maps, my favorite ones being train maps, where you build a train and just ride it around.

Is there a thread that features the most popular and essential downloads for Garry's Mod? Things like PHX, Advanced Duplicator, Easy Precision, maybe Weight Tool and choice maps... If not, then there should be, I'd say.

Dartastic

So, I just picked up a boxed copy of Psychonauts, but I'd rather just download it through Steam. Problem is, I don't think Psychonauts has a product code. Is there any way to get around this so I don't have to install 6 or so CD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom