• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dartastic said:
So, I just picked up a boxed copy of Psychonauts, but I'd rather just download it through Steam. Problem is, I don't think Psychonauts has a product code. Is there any way to get around this so I don't have to install 6 or so CD's?

Nope, only a select few third party games are activatable through steam, and Psychonauts is not one of them.

Varna

If you were thinking about it... Don't buy Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight.

The missing CD music is the least of it's problem. I'm getting constant crashes, horrible texture blending, horribly fast animations that can't be fixed by using different rending modes (or trying to cap the frame-rate). Even playing the game in 8bit color mode only slightly raises stability. It's horrible that they thought it was okay to release the game in this state.

Carm

Has the listings for Bionic Commando Rearmed and Bionic Commando always been on steam? Clicking either sends you to "Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time."

I know before they said Rearmed wasn't coming to steam but to finally see it up there, I got all excited for nothing apparently.

Galanthas said:
Has the listings for Bionic Commando Rearmed and Bionic Commando always been on steam? Clicking either sends you to "Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time."

I know before they said Rearmed wasn't coming to steam but to finally see it up there, I got all excited for nothing apparently.
They were added about a month ago. I can view them right now.

Kilroy

Varna said:

The missing CD music is the least of it's problem. I'm getting constant crashes, horrible texture blending, horribly fast animations that can't be fixed by using different rending modes (or trying to cap the frame-rate). Even playing the game in 8bit color mode only slightly raises stability. It's horrible that they thought it was okay to release the game in this state.
Curiously enough, I didn't find any problems with the sound. But everything else is a catatrophe. If the colours doesn't suddenly invert so the picture looks like the result of a fifth grader's first adventure in the world of Photoshop, the game crashes. And I was so excited to be playing it again.
GOD DAMNIT, LucasArts. I was just beginning to think you were cool again, and then this:(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Galanthas said:

You're not in the United States, are you?

Since I couldn't get Garry's mod I went ahead and just bought TF2 + Garry's Mod. Yes, I never owned a source game.

TF2 is fun I guess. Too fast for me though.

Blizzard

Banned
DMPrince said:
Since I couldn't get Garry's mod I went ahead and just bought TF2 + Garry's Mod. Yes, I never owned a source game.

Your mistake was not buying the orange box. D=

Pumpkins

DMPrince said:

Start out by playing on servers with less people.

Variable

Brazil said:
This is sad. I wonder why most games aren't supported.

It costs money to run servers that allow you to download games. If you did not buy through steam, Valve did not get any of that money.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Batman: AA has both Steam and Games for Windows integration?

I was pretty disturbed to find that, when I launched the game from Steam, in-game it said I was signed in under a different username than my Steam account. A lot of head-scratching later, I realized it was tapping a G4Wlive account for that name and somewhat ignoring Steam.

I guess it's kind of cool, but these multiple overlays are sort of giving me a headache. I suppose I'll keep using the G4W one because I want to be able to get achievements, but... I think I would have just preferred there be Steam achievements. :p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is somewhat steam related since you can buy this amazing game on it. Youtube video of Half-Life2: All sounds replaced with some dude's voice! Check out the youtube video, it's freaking hilarious.

VIDEO.

Day 1 son, day 1. :lol

Slavik81

DMPrince said:

Try 16 or 24 person servers, and stick to classes like the Engineer, Medic or Heavy Weapons Guy. That should be more managable than, say, trying to survive as a scout on a 32-player server.

androvsky

Varna said:

Amazingly, I seem to have won the Jedi Knight compatibility lottery. 3D acceleration works perfectly, I've only had one crash while trying to save (the save worked though). However, the video in a window is worse than I expected; it's a quarter of my screen size. Even worse, the sound loses sync very quickly on my triple-core phenom II. That and no CD music.

I'm pissed at LucasArts, and my setup seems to be the best case scenario for what they could've had running.

Kaako said:
This is somewhat steam related since you can buy this amazing game on it. Youtube video of Half-Life2: All sounds replaced with some dude's voice! Check out the youtube video, it's freaking hilarious.

VIDEO.

Day 1 son, day 1. :lol

that won internets

Blizzard

Banned
Posting here as well in case no one reads the Call of Juarez thread. It's still $50 barring a price drop or a sale, but they just released an update that includes some patches to multiplayer and community map support, plus autopatching (I assume that means they added the editor like they said they would).

*edit* The 500MB editor package doesn't seem to work with the Steam version though, so use at your own risk.

Psy-Phi

All of those games from the past that used Redbook Audio dissapoint me in their re-releases. So much that I don't uby them anymore. At least GoG has the decency to include the redbook audio...even if it's missing a couple tracks from the retail release (due to copyright like in Descent II). Not having CD audio in Hexen 2 on steam, or Quake 1 or 2 really really really cut me deep.

But all of these dev houses should take the time to either include the MP3's at worse, or just take a little time to re-code the way the game reads music. I'm sure some programmer there documented that stuff well enough that someone working today can do it in less than a weeks time.

Volcynika

Puzzlegeddon Now Available on Steam
September 23, 2009, 3:22 pm - Valve

Puzzlegeddon features a clever mix of puzzle, action and strategy.

Join the battles online or challenge yourself in one of the addicting single player modes, Puzzlegeddon is a game for all tastes and play styles which challenges players to think hard, play smart and act fast!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8740/

$14.99

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I have a question. When I build a new PC (hopefully soonish), can I back up my Steam games to an external hard drive and migrate them to the new PC without a problem, or will I run into some DRM hassles? I really don't want to redownload like 30 gigs of games. :p

Erudite

Archie said:
I have a question. When I build a new PC (hopefully soonish), can I back up my Steam games to an external hard drive and migrate them to the new PC without a problem, or will I run into some DRM hassles? I really don't want to redownload like 30 gigs of games. :p
Shouldn't be a problem, baring any games that use Third-Party DRM (eg. Tages, from what I understand, only gives you 3 activations). Even so, if you haven't used the 3 activations, there shouldn't be a problem.

Had no problems whatsoever backing up all my games to an external, formatting to Windows 7, and reinstalling them.

ShinNL

Archie said:
I passed over Left 4 Dead at a friend's house with the Steam's backup function without problems (to save time downloading so we could play right away) and there were no issues.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Napoleon: Total War™ Coming to Steam
September 22, 2009, 5:14 pm - Valve - General Announcement
Napoleon: Total War™, the newest chapter in the Total War™ series from The Creative Assembly and SEGA, is coming to Steam. The game is slated to release in February 2010. Until then, check out the trailer, which is here today.

Hawkian said:

I was pretty disturbed to find that, when I launched the game from Steam, in-game it said I was signed in under a different username than my Steam account. A lot of head-scratching later, I realized it was tapping a G4Wlive account for that name and somewhat ignoring Steam.

I guess it's kind of cool, but these multiple overlays are sort of giving me a headache. I suppose I'll keep using the G4W one because I want to be able to get achievements, but... I think I would have just preferred there be Steam achievements. :p
It's a console port so its going to use GFWL for achievements/gamerscore and DLC. There's no multiplayer or anything so don't worry about it. Go make a GFWL account anyway, more games you buy will have it and your completely useless gamerscore and achievements can carry over.

If you really want a headache take a look at Dawn of War 2, which isn't a console port, is bound to steam even when you buy boxed copies yet requires GFWL for multiplayer matchmaking and doesn't integrate with Steam multiplayer at all. On top of that you lose the ability to use custom emblems because of Microsoft. GG Relic.

Psy-Phi said:
All of those games from the past that used Redbook Audio dissapoint me in their re-releases. So much that I don't uby them anymore. At least GoG has the decency to include the redbook audio...even if it's missing a couple tracks from the retail release (due to copyright like in Descent II). Not having CD audio in Hexen 2 on steam, or Quake 1 or 2 really really really cut me deep.

But all of these dev houses should take the time to either include the MP3's at worse, or just take a little time to re-code the way the game reads music. I'm sure some programmer there documented that stuff well enough that someone working today can do it in less than a weeks time.
If you take a look at the SA Steam thread, you'll see there were like 2 people assigned to the release of Jedi Knight on Steam and neither of them had access to the source code, so... yeah. Blame LucasArts for not caring and Steam for not demanding more.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Metal Gear?! said:
If you really want a headache take a look at Dawn of War 2, which isn't a console port, is bound to steam even when you buy boxed copies yet requires GFWL for multiplayer matchmaking and doesn't integrate with Steam multiplayer at all. On top of that you lose the ability to use custom emblems because of Microsoft. GG Relic.

Holy crap. I don't understand. Was there ever a point where a fully-functional version of this game was available?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Weekend deal is F.E.A.R. 2 and it's DLC at 50% off. That makes F.E.A.R. 2 25$ and Reborn DLC 5$. I would definitely recommend picking up these two at this price. I paid more and was pleased with what I got.

EA games are also available in UK now and have a temporary discount of 10% on all games (only for people in the UK).

Firestorm

Hawkian said:

I think it's awesome. I'm connected to my Steam and XBL friends at the same time. I get my achievements for Live. Can message both lists. Best of both worlds. I want every game to use GFWL + Steam :)

Struct09

Firestorm said:
I think it's awesome. I'm connected to my Steam and XBL friends at the same time. I get my achievements for Live. Can message both lists. Best of both worlds. I want every game to use GFWL + Steam :)

Same here, I really like GFWL games because of that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Firestorm said:
Agreed, I like it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Metal Gear?! said:
Wait, what? Headache? I'd rather have to run Steam (and since when is Steam integration a bad thing) than any other form of DRM. In addition, Valve's matchmaking is terrible (Hi, L4D), so I'm glad they went with GFW Live if it was easier for them. I've never had a problem with it.
So really - where does the headache come in? Were you indoctrinated into getting migraines after seeing a Microsoft logo or something?

Darklord

Banned
Lyphen said:
Wait, what? Headache? I'd rather have to run Steam (and since when is Steam integration a bad thing) than any other form of DRM. In addition, Valve's matchmaking is terrible (Hi, L4D), so I'm glad they went with GFW Live if it was easier for them. I've never had a problem with it.
So really - where does the headache come in? Were you indoctrinated into getting migraines after seeing a Microsoft logo or something?

All matchmaking is terrible. They should have had a fucking server list and made it simple. At least there was a command for it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lyphen said:

Uh, I think he meant that the game was neutered in its functionality despite having both steam and g4w and requiring steam even if you bought a boxed copy.

For me, the headache (not a migraine by any imagination) came when I realized I could press Home and open up a friends list that included people playing games on their xboxes, then press shift+tab and overlay that friend list with another one with friends on Steam- and only have achievements in the former and not the latter.

It isn't a bad thing. It's kind of like the headache you get when you're playing a stategy game and you think you know the whole tech tree, and then realize there are two more full page to it.

Also, I've never had a problem with L4D matchmaking :/

all matchmaking is terrible

Though, on a general level, I agree with this.

grif1020 said:
EA games are also available in UK now and have a temporary discount of 10% on all games (only for people in the UK).
I am so, so happy right now :D
Does the Steam version of crysis/crysis warhead have an install limit?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ugh, I'm seriously considering this FEAR 2 bundle at $30, but I've simply bought too many games this month. Digital distribution is freaking evil.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
FunBoy said:
Wow that blows my mind being an old school pc fps player. The pacing of TF2 to me is as fast as snails glued down.

Even on instant respawn servers? Reaaaallly?

Ugh, I'm seriously considering this FEAR 2 bundle at $30, but I've simply bought too many games this month. Digital distribution is freaking evil.

I know! I'm gonna have to skip this one. too many great deals already this month.

FunBoy said:
Wow that blows my mind being an old school pc fps player. The pacing of TF2 to me is as fast as snails glued down.

I started playing online shooters when COD4 came out. that's why :lol.

But hey i managed to play almost 16 hours since i bought the game. ;D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
RJT said:
Have you ever played Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament? Those were much faster than TF2...

Way to interpret "you think it's 'as fast as snails glued down' even on instant respawn servers?" as "I think TF2 is the fastest-paced game ever and have never played a non-class-based FPS" :p

RJT

Hawkian said:
Way to interpret "you think it's 'as fast as snails glued down' even on instant respawn servers?" as "I think TF2 is the fastest-paced game ever and have never played a non-class-based FPS" :p

Hyperbole (pronounced /hʌɪˈpə:rbəli/[1], from ancient Greek "ὑπερβολή", meaning excess or exaggeration) is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom