• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have seen some fast snails in my day, but none that quite match the ludicrous threshold that would have to be established in order for me to have taken you literally. thx tho good etymology and such

In light of this being a new page and staying on topic, can't believe I had never tried Gmod before. The $5 sale was all it took to make me click immediately, but now I don't understand how I have been gaming all this time without this hilariously entertaining sandbox to relax in. Many props, Garry.

Blizzard

Banned
Liquid Helium said:
I am so, so happy right now :D
Does the Steam version of crysis/crysis warhead have an install limit?
That's weird, I thought I'd heard that Crysis had been patched by Steam to have both SecuROM and the install limit removed.

Of course, I own Warhead anyway, but I'd probably like to get the original Crysis some day. Also bear in mind that EA has their un-authorizer tool, so in THEORY if your computer doesn't crash and you're just reinstalling, you should be able to unauthorize their games to regain an install counter. I'm not sure if it works for Crysis or Crysis Warhead but I would guess it would.

*edit* Yeah, I was pretty sure the new one does, I just meant I thought the original Crysis had it removed, but that was totally just a "I thought I heard" thing, I don't have a link to support it.

I tried Garry's mod like once, but I kept getting killed. I couldn't even figure out how to turn god mode on, or use the physics tools much. :lol I'll probably try it again some day and go through the tutorial videos.

I can confirm that warhead on steam totally still uses securom, i've been on my last activation for a long time now, now everytime i format i have to deauthorize my machine, it's really fucking dumb.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Stupid quesiton: Why is all the RailWorks DLC so expensive? It costs $232 to buy the game and all of the DLC. :0

epmode

TouchMyBox said:
I can confirm that warhead on steam totally still uses securom, i've been on my last activation for a long time now, now everytime i format i have to deauthorize my machine, it's really fucking dumb.
The deauthorization tool doesn't even work for me. I'm going to be reformatting in a few weeks and I keep getting this error:

"There is a problem with verifying ownership of your game. Please verify your game registration code and reinstall your game."

This happens for games that are actually installed right now as well as stuff I uninstalled weeks ago. Any ideas?

epmode said:
The deauthorization tool doesn't even work for me. I'm going to be reformatting in a few weeks and I keep getting this error:

"There is a problem with verifying ownership of your game. Please verify your game registration code and reinstall your game."

This happens for games that are actually installed right now as well as stuff I uninstalled weeks ago. Any ideas?

Try running the tool in admin mode (right click i think). Ive always needed Warhead installed on Steam to be able to revoke the activation, if its not, i get that error.

I was a fool to not preorder Aion at £25 from other stores and I want ot play the game asap, so i'm going to bite on the £35 Aion regular edition on Steam.

Is there any steam Aion problems / deals I should know about?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Diablohead said:
I was a fool to not preorder Aion at £25 from other stores and I want ot play the game asap, so i'm going to bite on the £35 Aion regular edition on Steam.

Best bet is to dig through the Steam forums.

epmode

Ogs said:
Try running the tool in admin mode (right click i think). Ive always needed Warhead installed on Steam to be able to revoke the activation, if its not, i get that error.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Dead Space, then retried the deauthorization tool. Worked, finally. Now to reinstall all of the other games. Thanks very much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Diablohead said:

You can get the US version for £20 at http://www.onlinekeystore.com/home.php if you want. They are selling the EU version at £35, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Polk said:
Aren't servers separate?

I would assume they are if they have two versions of the game out there.

I bought the US version.

Archie said:
Stupid quesiton: Why is all the RailWorks DLC so expensive? It costs $232 to buy the game and all of the DLC. :0
My guess is that they have a really dedicated small fanbase that is willing to pay it because there's not a lot of competition in the train sim genre.

But yeah, it is pretty ridiculously priced, and it's kind of a deterrent to someone who has a passing interest in the game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
rohlfinator said:
My guess is that they have a really dedicated small fanbase that is willing to pay it because there's not a lot of competition in the train sim genre.

But yeah, it is pretty ridiculously priced, and it's kind of a deterrent to someone who has a passing interest in the game.
Hardcore sims like that have always been that way, just look at all the packs and addons you can get for the flight sims.

Zozobra

Zefah said:
You can get the US version for £20 at http://www.onlinekeystore.com/home.php if you want. They are selling the EU version at £35, though.

This is potentially an incredibly stupid question, but is this site for people who already own the game discs, but want to create additional accounts? Or can I just buy a key, set up an account and dl the game through NCSoft's site, or maybe even Steam?

Zefah said:
I brought the EU model over US because my cousin already has the game, don't want to be split on another set of servers from him. I ended up paying £35 and the game is at 50% downloaded right now. Looking forward to diving in to the login ques :lol

As for that train sim game being expensive, you should check out the prices some train collectors pay for a model train, this game is nothing to them! One of my friends had a dad who collected them and yeah you could probably buy a nice sports car or a bunch of trains...

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
Of course, I own Warhead anyway, but I'd probably like to get the original Crysis some day.

Take it from me buddy, OG Crysis' gameplay is way, way better than Warhead. Promise me you'll get it someday.

Slavik81

Archie said:
I have a question. When I build a new PC (hopefully soonish), can I back up my Steam games to an external hard drive and migrate them to the new PC without a problem, or will I run into some DRM hassles? I really don't want to redownload like 30 gigs of games. :p
Yes. Just copy your SteamApps folder onto an external drive. Then install Steam on the new PC and overwrite the SteamApps folder from the install with the one from your external drive.

I just finished downloading Aion over Steam and the launcher says it's the NA version, am I right in thinking that maybe all download versions on Steam are the NA package? ... :E I really hope not, the store page never said anything or gave any region choices.

*edit* on rechecking the store page is says Aion(EU) phew!

adg1034

Slavik81 said:
Yes. Just copy your SteamApps folder onto an external drive. Then install Steam on the new PC and overwrite the SteamApps folder from the install with the one from your external drive.

I run a dual-boot setup on my PC, and I'd love to be able to set things up so I can run Steam from both of them. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this- I don't want to have two separate SteamApps folders. Has anyone found a way to link a Steam installation on one drive with a SteamApps folder on another, whether it's through a registry setting, some equivalent of a hard link, something else along those lines?

Doytch

adg1034 said:
I run a dual-boot setup on my PC, and I'd love to be able to set things up so I can run Steam from both of them. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this- I don't want to have two separate SteamApps folders. Has anyone found a way to link a Steam installation on one drive with a SteamApps folder on another, whether it's through a registry setting, some equivalent of a hard link, something else along those lines?

Windows can make hard links can't it?

Fake-edit: Wikipedia says to use "mklink /H" on Vista and later, and "fsutil hardlink create" for XP and earlier. I assume since /H is specified, you could make symlinks also.

epmode

adg1034 said:
It's probably better to install Steam once on each OS, but install it to the same folder each time. Make sure that you use a shared partition (one that's not used for either Windows installation) so that both operating system will be able to see it at all times.

You'll have to download your games twice, but you'll only wind up using up hard drive space for one copy of each game (since Steam will automatically overwrite the old data). This also ensures that the sppropriate registry settings will be made for both operating systems.

I'm going to be doing exactly this when Windows 7 is released.

Psy-Phi

Doesn't work too well that. Because most games don't save in a folder inside of the game but your documents folder or users folder in app data or something silly like that. You may be able to change some but a few just put stuff in bizarre places and I believe they're hardcoded to look there.

I tried it with XP and 7. Just sticking with 7 now. It worked decently having them on my D drive for both. But just led to too many headaches of trying to load the saved game from where I was on the other installed version of windows. Games should only use their own folder....

epmode

Psy-Phi said:
Doesn't work too well that. Because most games don't save in a folder inside of the game but your documents folder or users folder in app data or something silly like that. You may be able to change some but a few just put stuff in bizarre places and I believe they're hardcoded to look there.

I tried it with XP and 7. Just sticking with 7 now. It worked decently having them on my D drive for both. But just led to too many headaches of trying to load the saved game from where I was on the other installed version of windows. Games should only use their own folder....
Well, yeah. All that MyDocs crap really ruins savegames. You'll have to be careful if you want to play the same game on both operating systems.

What's the big problem with keeping saved games in the game folder, anyway? The current method of dumping everything in Windows folders just causes more confusion since there are so many exceptions to the rule. I just spent over an hour digging through my system so I could make a backup of my saved games. Hope I got everything..

klez

epmode said:
Well, yeah. All that MyDocs crap really ruins savegames. You'll have to be careful if you want to play the same game on both operating systems.
I never did this, but windows allow you to set your own mydocs folder (at least in vista, but I'm sure I've seen it in xp too so it should be in win7 too). Just right click->properties on the my document tab. This may work for sharing mydocs for different windows.

epmode

klez said:
I never did this, but windows allow you to set your own mydocs folder (at least in vista, but I'm sure I've seen it in xp too so it should be in win7 too). Just right click->properties on the my document tab. This may work for sharing mydocs for different windows.
Moving MyDocs isn't enough. I've seen savegames all over the Documents & Settings folder (MyDocs is only a part of it) so I'd have to move the whole thing. Problem is, moving Documents & Settings can really screw with some applications since they're hardcoded to look in the default location. I'm going to leave it alone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zozobra said:
This is potentially an incredibly stupid question, but is this site for people who already own the game discs, but want to create additional accounts? Or can I just buy a key, set up an account and dl the game through NCSoft's site, or maybe even Steam?

I don't think they sell CD keys for games that don't have a digital download option.

I bought a CD key, went to NCSoft's site and created an account, registered the Aion CD key I bought to the account and downloaded the client. The downloader from NCSoft's site was extremely fast (I was getting around 5-6mb/s) and I had the game installed and ready to go in an hour.

Slavik81

Psy-Phi said:
Doesn't work too well that. Because most games don't save in a folder inside of the game but your documents folder or users folder in app data or something silly like that.
I hate that so much. Why are games so inconsistent now? It used to be simple: just look for a folder named SAVE in the game's install directory. Now they start cluttering My Documents with mountains of folders I don't ever want to touch, or they squirrel it away in hidden folders in AppData, the game install folder, My Documents, or My Games and other silly new directories. Steam games are even worse, because they could be in the Steam folder too.

MNC

AstroLad said:
Yup I hate that. Bring on cloud saves please.
Yeah, or the Gmod addon folder. That's what I'm waiting for. SteamCLOUD so far is a bit... Lite. It should have controls, saves and addons. Also introduce a steam file transfer service Valve :lol Cloud should have retroactiveness.

Please?

Blizzard

Banned
AstroLad said:
Yup I hate that. Bring on cloud saves please.
That would be nice, until the day when Steam automatically disables your entire account for weekend (even offline mode) because of an automatic credit card detection thing (happened to two people earlier in this thread), or your settings reset (seems to have happened relatively often with me and TF2 etc.), or it can't connect to the steam cloud (happened all the time on TF2 servers).

If Valve was a lot more reliable then maaaaaaybe. :p Until then I'll take my offline games and just hope their system doesn't randomly disable my account for a weekend.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I guess it would just depend how the cloud works; I'm sure they could jigger a way to make it so you don't have to be online at all times. The current system of saves scattered everywhere is annoying though.

Slavik81

AstroLad said:
I guess it would just depend how the cloud works; I'm sure they could jigger a way to make it so you don't have to be online at all times. The current system of saves scattered everywhere is annoying though.
It could have the settings still saved locally, but check the server for updates or missing files. That way, you'd never have LESS than what you have now. Only more.

It wouldn't solve the clutter, but it would help prevent the loss of files.

NIN90

OH SHIT OH SHIT

My steam account just got hacked. The fucker just changed my password and the email address that is attached to my steam account.
So Ima opening a support ticket right now.

Anything else I can do? It gotta be some kinda virus cause I never ever IM'd someone my acc data or some shit. I'm running Avira at the moment and nothing has shown up yet (6% at the moment) .

:(

Nothing until valve responds. Once you get it back make sure to confirm your email address within Steam so in the future in order to change your password you would have to confirm the request via an email notification. Valve recently added this feature so not everybody has done so but it should drastically lower the oddss of this happening in the future.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Nothing until valve responds. Once you get it back make sure to confirm your email address within Steam so in the future in order to change your password you would have to confirm the request via an email notification. Valve recently added this feature so not everybody has done so but it should drastically lower the oddss of this happening in the future.
Thanks, that's a good point, and I hadn't even realized that option was available. Just verified my email. :)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LovingSteam said:
Nice. I just did this, thanks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The couple times I've had issues it's taken them 4+ days to get back, but it was never anything as serious as accountjacking.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
NIN90 said:
OH SHIT OH SHIT

My steam account just got hacked. The fucker just changed my password and the email address that is attached to my steam account.
So Ima opening a support ticket right now.

Anything else I can do? It gotta be some kinda virus cause I never ever IM'd someone my acc data or some shit. I'm running Avira at the moment and nothing has shown up yet (6% at the moment) .

:(
The same thing happened to me earlier this year. Don't panic. Just contact Valve support telling them exactly what happened, tell them about the last game purchases you made, provide the lat 4 numbers of your credit card (along with the security code) if you paid through CC, if not tell them the Paypal account used to buy the games. Alternatively, if you bought boxed games, you could ask if they need a picture/serial key taken for ownership proving purposes.

Just make SURE you POST the ticket. Valve support ticket has some weird ass interface that you can write a ticket, it will be machine analyzed and it'll say something along the lines of "Here are some possible solutions for your case. If you still can't find a solution, click HERE and the ticket will be analyzed by a support member".

When I lost my account, i was freaking out and didn't notice that - took me one entire day to notice it. Once i actually posted the ticket, i got the answer in one day. And it was on a weekend.

LovingSteam said:
That's very useful. Thanks for making me (and others, apparently) take notice of that.

Almak

LovingSteam said:
Did that as soon as I red about the feature, though I have a question about it. What about email change? For example what prevents the hackers potentially changing the email address, verifying that new address and that changing the password? Do you have to approve the email change as well as the password changes?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Almak said:
Did that as soon as I red about the feature, though I have a question about it. What about email change? For example what prevents the hackers potentially changing the email address, verifying that new address and that changing the password? Do you have to approve the email change as well as the password changes?
Just try it, you have to enter your password and then it says a code will be sent to the current email address. So don't set this to an email address you could lose access to.

NIN90

Thanks for the help guys. I think I just gotta wait it out.

My biggest fear is that this trojan is still on my pc and that it would do some weird shit with other stuff. Like ordering stuff on Amazon. :S

Almak

poppabk said:
Just try it, you have to enter your password and then it says a code will be sent to the current email address. So don't set this to an email address you could lose access to.
Great! Puts me at ease. Thanks for the explanation.

Volcynika

For you ToMI peoples:

"The third chapter of Tales of Monkey Island, The Lair of the Leviathan is available for download!

Season subscribers already have the new chapter. Those who haven't bought Tales of Monkey Island yet, it's not too late to get in on the fun!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom