• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawkian said:
Holy crap. I don't understand. Was there ever a point where a fully-functional version of this game was available?
Huh? The game is functional, it's just a mess integration-wise.

Lyphen said:
Wait, what? Headache? I'd rather have to run Steam (and since when is Steam integration a bad thing) than any other form of DRM. In addition, Valve's matchmaking is terrible (Hi, L4D), so I'm glad they went with GFW Live if it was easier for them. I've never had a problem with it.
So really - where does the headache come in? Were you indoctrinated into getting migraines after seeing a Microsoft logo or something?
1) Steam DRM on boxed copies means you can't resell them

2) If a game is going to come with Steam DRM on boxed copies I'd expect it to at least integrate with Steam somehow and give me the advantages of Steam. If I buy a Valve game it may be stuck on Steam but at least it will be fully integrated with my Steam friends list and use Steam achievements.

3) Valve's matchmaking may be terrible but so is GFWL's matchmaking, it takes forever and a half to find a game and most of the time it says it finds enough players then resets to zero and starts all over again. At least I can just browse custom games but again it would be nice to do this from the Steam interface.

4) GFWL is inferior to Steam Friends when it comes to inviting, chatting, voice chat (GFWL is ridiculously low volume with no way to fix it), navigating, and the whole friends list itself (oh hey look at all these XBox friends here WHOM I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT WHEN PLAYING A PC GAME)

Just look at this from the perspective of some poor soul who buys this game in a store, takes it home and installs it only to find out they have to create a steam account just to play the game, then create a Live account just to play the game the game online. It makes MGS4's Konami ID thing look like a minor trifle.

Firestorm

So you'd rather just have SecuROM like most boxed copies of games? Steam is my DRM of choice. It DOES integrate with Steam as far as being able to download as many times as you want off Steam on as many computers as you want. Your friends see you playing and can join in at any time on both your Steam and Live list. And I do care about being able to interact with my Xbox 360 friends while playing my PC games =)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I actually do care about xbox dudes when playing pc. Most of my friends are on 360 so I like seeing someone pop on and I can just go play some FIFA, UFC, or Madden with them or whatever.

ShinNL

Mass Effect is finally €15 in Europe (before it was €40 while the US Steam has it for $20). Finally I get to try it!

Volcynika

Risen available now

Risen is now available on Steam!

Delve into a gritty, raw and atmospheric fantasy world in which every action has a consequence. In the epic world of Risen, filled with mysterious earthquakes, fearsome monsters and unimaginable treasures, forge your path with the sword, learn the art of staff fighting or become a powerful mage.

Check out this fabulous RPG from Deep Silver here!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40300/

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Submarino Conversível said:
Weekend Deal - Oddworld Games 66% Off

Again
Well, I missed it that time, but I didn't repeat my mistake.

So bought.

Good news, buddy just let me know some more releases coming.

1. Battlefield 2 (YES THE BATTLEFIELD 2)
2. Godfather 1 & 2
3. Medal of Honor Airborne
4. Red Alert 3 expansion

Erudite

Finally @ BF2. Never got around to picking it up during its original release. Assuming they price it right, I'll definitely grab it day one.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Borderlands Available for Pre-Purchase!
October 2, 2009, 12:07 pm - Valve - General Announcement
Borderlands sends up to four co-op players to the harsh frontier planet Pandora in search of a mysterious Alien Vault legend.

This exciting title is available to pre-purchase for 10% off here!

legend166

Shard said:
Borderlands sends up to four co-op players to the harsh frontier planet Pandora in search of a mysterious Alien Vault legend.

Doesn't let me prepurchase in Australia.

Which tells me one thing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Shard said:

Awesome! I got it pre-ordered before it almost certainly disappears from the non-US storefront.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:

2. Godfather 1 & 2
4. Red Alert 3 expansion

God, I love when you update us. You always bring good tidings. I'm definitely picking up BF2 and MoH Airborne as both those games are a pain to install and update.

Lothars

LovingSteam said:

2. Godfather 1 & 2
4. Red Alert 3 expansion

I will be picking up Battlefield 2 and Red Alert 3 expansion,

Javaman

LovingSteam said:

2. Godfather 1 & 2
4. Red Alert 3 expansion

Hot diggity damn!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Medal of Honor Airborne will probably come out at $10, since I believe that's what it retails for. If it does, you guys should definitely pick it up. Great game.

randomwab

BobsRevenge said:
Medal of Honor Airborne will probably come out at $10, since I believe that's what it retails for. If it does, you guys should definitely pick it up. Great game.

This. I really enjoyed Airborne, the first Medal of Honor I liked since the first one that was released on PS2. It also had one of the smoothest cover systems I've seen in an FPS. I loved it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
randomwab said:
This. I really enjoyed Airborne, the first Medal of Honor I liked since the first one that was released on PS2. It also had one of the smoothest cover systems I've seen in an FPS. I loved it.
I think you've got your history mixed up!

Medal of Honor had two or three games come out on the PS1. They actually still stand up pretty well gamplay-wise. Really ahead of their time.

Airborne is easily one of the most replayable FPS games I've played. Very polished game too.

edit: And Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault on the PC was also really good imo. All of the MoH PS1 and PC releases are really good.

edit2: Sorry dude, it looks like I misread your post. Oh well. :lol

Yeah, I love Airborne. Semi-open levels, your teammates sometimes take objectives for themselves, and the weapon upgrades are addictive.

Varna

Battlefield 2? Fuck yes.

Already have the game so I don't plan on buying but maybe now punkbuster will stop kicking me for having the steam overlay.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Weird. The effects of the core in HL2:Ep 1 still like... shimmer when you have the Steam overlay up. It's trippy and sort of awesome.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Godfather, The Godfather 2, Commander and Conquer Red Alert 3: Uprising, Medal of Honor: Airborne, Need for Speed: Shift and Battlefield 2: Complete Collection are now all available on the Steam store.

Mrbob

I see the Ghostbusters PC game dropped to $19.99 on steam....this is the full campaign right?

I might bite at this price.

Call of Juarez Bound in Blood is now $29.99.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LovingSteam said:
Machinarium up for pre order

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40709

$14.99 special ($19.99 without discount)

Anyone try the demo? It looks kind of interesting.

Also, holy crap at BF2 pricing (30!!). Oh well, I just hope that this means more people will play SF again.
I also find it strange that The Sims 3 is still being held off. I guess they really want to get more sales via the other platforms before going Steam.

Mrbob said:
I see the Ghostbusters PC game dropped to $19.99 on steam....this is the full campaign right?

I might bite at this price.

Call of Juarez Bound in Blood is now $29.99.

Yes, well worth it at that price.

Psy-Phi

Ghostbusters is down to 20 bucks on Steam. Will probably get cheaper if you wait longer though, I don't think it did so hot. But I'm thinking of picking it up. Only problem with the PC version is the lack of multiplayer. Which kind of kills the thrill of bustin' ghosts.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
BF2 for $30 is overpriced. The game's from 2005 FFS, and I got BF2 Complete for $37.99 in June 2007. $20 would've been fine.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea that's crazy expensive for BF2, especially considering all the content from the 2 boosters is now free.

Psy-Phi said:
Ghostbusters is down to 20 bucks on Steam. Will probably get cheaper if you wait longer though, I don't think it did so hot. But I'm thinking of picking it up. Only problem with the PC version is the lack of multiplayer. Which kind of kills the thrill of bustin' ghosts.

Not really, the appeal of the game is the nostalgia packed campaign, and that's only single player on consoles anyway. I doubt there's many people still playing the multiplayer modes these days anyway, and they'll be completely deserted come MW2's release.

The game is a bit of a CPU hog mind, I would only recommend it to those with a quad core or a 3ghz+ dual core.

Damn, $30 for BF2 is way out of my price range. I think the most I would pay is $15 or so :(. That's like "all-aspect warfare" type of shitty pricing

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
There is no way I will pay 30$ to replace my Battlefield 2 disks, however, I snapped up MoH Airborne for 10$ (total steal though I already have the game) and Ghostbusters for 20$ which is a very sweet price. I may pick up CoJ Bound in Blood at a later point as I liked the first game and loved the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom