• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

DICE recently added widescreen support to BF2, for those who didn't know or missed that initial thread about the patch.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
BF2 was 10$ here at EBGames Canada. Since all the booster packs are included in the later patch, there's not much reason to pay 3X the price.

Loxley

Console-wise Airborne is dead in terms of multiplayer, I wouldn't expect the PC version to be doing exponentially better :/

benjipwns

Banned
Basileus777 said:
How good of a port was last year's version?
Outside of how the button icons didn't show up as 360 buttons, basically perfect. Considering higher resolution, AA, AF, etc.

And from simballer (2k Developer):
As we're fine tuning the performance now, it looks like the specs are going to be the same as last year. That being said, we have a rig with a 1.2ghz Celeron, 512MB ram, and an x800 that is running ~15-20 FPS on the lowest settings. That should give you an indication of how much better the performance is this year on lower end systems.

Shader Model 2.0 is fully supported this year, though the system requirements are going to say 3.0 or higher.

Javaman

Saw this twitter in a link from the steam BF2 forum. It looks like they are considering also adding BF1942 to steam.
http://twitter.com/L_Twin
# So, tonights quiz: If BF1942 was made available through digital channels (EA Store, Steam, D2D), would you pick it up? If so, why?about 3 hours ago from TweetDeck

Also... :eek:O

# Yes, goal is to distribute all future PC titles through several digital channels such as EA Store, Steam, D2D etc.about 8 hours ago from TweetDeck

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Battlefield 2 might be a little on the expensive side, but IT DOES have the Special Forces expansion, which was not made free with the latest patch (only the booster packs were).

Still, it is a little expensive, considering it's 25usd for the complete collection (which DOES bring Special Forces) on Amazon.

20USD would've been the sweet spot. How much does it cost on EA Store?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
drizzle said:
Battlefield 2 might be a little on the expensive side, but IT DOES have the Special Forces expansion, which was not made free with the latest patch (only the booster packs were).

Still, it is a little expensive, considering it's 25usd for the complete collection (which DOES bring Special Forces) on Amazon.

20USD would've been the sweet spot. How much does it cost on EA Store?

Special Forces suuucccckkksssss I mean it doesn't even incorporate into the main game, you can't mix and match the regular BF2 maps with the SF stuff. It's inclusion is hardly a selling point.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Special Forces has some awesome maps, and the stuff they added (ziplines etc) can be fun to play with, it was a stupid idea to make it a separate program though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ikuu said:
Special Forces has some awesome maps, and the stuff they added (ziplines etc) can be fun to play with, it was a stupid idea to make it a separate program though.
It's not a separate program - it's just a separate set of assets. It still loads BF2.exe, but with a different "pack", much like the same as free mods - Point of Existence (POE) and Project Reality.

Special Forces is, literally, an official mod. Pretty much like Battlefield Vietnam was a official mod to Battlefield 1942.

I personally think Special Forces was all kinds of awesome. Much better than the broken-ass euro forces booster pack.

Basileus777 said:
How good of a port was last year's version?

It was a great port. Ran on high settings on my 9600gt without any hitches. There are tons of patches as well, including one to add back the Xbox 360 controller icons. :D

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So how likely do y'all think it is that Burnout Paradise will get a Steam pricedrop to 19.99? Until a week or two ago, it was still 40 bucks, but it's since dropped to 30.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I paid 40 and am thrilled with it (wish I had got it through steam, but alas). $30 is a great deal and $20 would be a steal for the amount of content- adding Big Surf Island would still cost less than I paid in that case.

Hawkian said:
I paid 40 and am thrilled with it (wish I had got it through steam, but alas). $30 is a great deal and $20 would be a steal for the amount of content- adding Big Surf Island would still cost less than I paid in that case.
Did they finally release Big Surf Island for the PC version?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
CrookedRain said:
Did they finally release Big Surf Island for the PC version?
No they didn't. And i'm still pissed about it.

Also, a friend of mine bought the PC version and, when you join the game online, it alt-tabs to a browser to show the stupid criterion homepage. On my friend's computer, the game just crashes to desktop, no matter what he does (even changed OSes in the meantime). Still, every single time, it crashes to desktop.

If he plays single player, it doesn't connect to the internet (thus, doesn't show the stupid criterion page), and it works nicely.

Since BigSurf Island added the option to NOT show criterion's page (at least on the PS3), i was hoping it would come to the PC as well, but EA never released Big Surf Island on PC.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dark Stalkers said:
Is airborne good for someone who still likes WW2 first-person shooters?

The new thing it brought was that you jump into the map, so you can choose where to start. Other than that, it has the same problems with generic FPSes - AI targets you instantly, etc, etc.

Javaman

zoku88 said:
Ha? 30USD for BF2? Who does EA think it is :lol

And to think I was considering a rebuy...

Same here. I've got the stand alone version of BF2 but was considering double dipping in order to get the missing special ops pack. There's no way that just the one pack is worth 20$. I'm going to wait till a price drop or hopefully a BF 1942/BF2/BF2142 complete pack.

VOOK, you can't use the key to add BF2 to steam.

Loxley

Alright, I caved and bought BF2. That said, I forgot just how fucking awesome the game is. I literally haven't played it in four years, I was glad to see there is still a very healthy community playing it.

Fucking EA new I would pay $30 for what is essentially $15 worth of software these days.

VOOK said:
Can you add your retail BF2 keys to steam?

Im curious about this as well, I saw that it was on Steam and was tempted to dust off my 4year old retail copy.

Anyone think I will be able to find a game without the special forces expansion, im assuming its still popular enough, but not sure. Also, does it still take 20 minutes to get into a game?

Loxley

KittyKittyBangBang said:
Im curious about this as well, I saw that it was on Steam and was tempted to dust off my 4year old retail copy.

Anyone think I will be able to find a game without the special forces expansion, im assuming its still popular enough, but not sure. Also, does it still take 20 minutes to get into a game?

I'm not sure about authenticating a retail copy, but you shouldn't have any problems finding games. There were more than enough servers going when I messed with the game a little this morning.

But yep, in space-year 2009 it still takes forever to actually get into a game :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
drizzle said:
Also, a friend of mine bought the PC version and, when you join the game online, it alt-tabs to a browser to show the stupid criterion homepage. On my friend's computer, the game just crashes to desktop, no matter what he does (even changed OSes in the meantime). Still, every single time, it crashes to desktop.

Just tell your friend to start the game with no internet connection- easiest way is to press the HOLD button on your modem if it has one- then once you're actually in game, reactivate it. You'll immediately connect and be able to play online. PITA, but it was the only way to avoid seeing that dumb page so that I could play in a window (it would always maximize after exiting the browser).

EDIT: And yeah wtf I thought Big Surf had been out for months. Pick up the damn ball, Criterion.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
b.e.r.g said:
$15 Mirror's Edge... ah, why not, I gotta try this game :)
DONT DO IT.

worst game :( so gutted I got that crap on xbox.

adg1034

catfish said:
DONT DO IT.

worst game :( so gutted I got that crap on xbox.

Don't listen to this man. I paid $20- so worth it. Don't play it for the story; play it for the visuals, the sense of speed, of momentum. Play it for running and jumping and Faith.

I don't believe anyone's ever been more wrong in the history of this forum.

Ledsen

b.e.r.g said:

AMAZING game. Just remember than the story mode is basically a training mode for the Time Trials - the real meat of the game.

Dunlop

I knew I was forgetting something, I'm firewalled at work can someone tell me if L4D is still $15 (or is it the new regular price) ?

epmode

b.e.r.g said:
If you're even remotely interested in the time trial DLC (which you should be, because it's AWESOME), then stay away from the Steam version. It's incompatible.

Airborne is not a great game by any means, there's a lot of janky stuff that you'll encounter playing through it. Lots of instances for me where i shoot a dude in the face, but the shot doesn't register due to an invisible barrier for example. But as a $9.99 weekend romp, it's pretty excellent.

Thomper

b.e.r.g said:
If you happen to live in Europe, or know someone in Europe that can gift you the game (if D2D lets you do that, dunno): it's 5 pounds on Direct2Drive.co.uk, or 8 dollars.

b.e.r.g

*replies*
Heh, well what imagine people are frustrated about when it comes to ME is that it is different. It's not straight forward shooter, and new concepts like momentum is a little tricky to wrap you head around in the beginning. But that's what I want :p I want it to be different and challenging, and as long as they are trying something new, I'm pretty forgiving. I don't need it to be the new Half-life 2, I just want it be unique and fresh, and from the screenshots alone I get the impression that it is :)

Oh and I rarely buy DLCs. Some might be worth it, but I don't like to buy my games in bits. I play this for what it initially is, and if it turns out to be nothing but a tutorial for the DLCs, then lesson learned :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mirror's Edge for $15 is omegaworthit. If you're interested in beating it without guns I'd say do it your first run through on normal difficulty. This will force you to get good fast and become competent in combat. Then on your second runthrough on Hard you'll feel superhuman even though everything is harder because you can use guns :D.

Lucidy is out - $9.99

About the Game

From the team that re-imagined The Secret of Monkey Island™, comes Lucidity, an addictive puzzle platformer set in the surreal childlike dreamscapes of the little girl Sofi. In this challenging puzzler, it’s your task to keep Sofi safe as she drifts deeper into the strange new world of her dreams. Featuring stunning hand-illustrated visuals, a spell-binding original score and unique puzzle platformer gameplay, Lucidity will challenge your wits, test your reflexes and mesmerize your senses.

Take a trip into the surreal childlike dreamscapes of Sofi, a little girl filled with a persistent desire to explore new worlds and overcome all obstacles in her way. Test your skills in this addictive puzzle platformer where through quick reactions and placement of unique puzzle pieces, you create a path to help Sofi traverse safely through 27 visually stunning, hand-illustrated dreamscapes.

A Surreal Fantasy - Take a fantastic journey with little Sofi as she drifts into a vivid dream world where, beckoned by the kind words of her grandmother, she learns to overcome her fears.
  • Mesmerizing Dreamscapes - Like a children’s storybook come to life, get lost in mesmerizing dreamscapes detailed with beautiful hand-drawn contemporary art.
  • Spell-binding Original Score - Featuring a lush original score that will draw you into Sofi’s dream world.
  • Addictive Puzzle-Platformer Gameplay - Skillfully place unique puzzle pieces designed to propel Sofi to and from suspended platforms, or over and under obstacles, in an effort to maintain her state of perpetual motion.
  • Unlockable Steam Achievements - Collect fireflies on your adventures to unlock additional bonus levels and achievements to make it to the top of the leaderboards.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom