• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Grief.exe

Have we heard anything of when 1849 will go up on Steam?

From their Greenlight page:

Release Update

Hi Everyone! First of all, thanks for the kind words after we were greenlit. Second, just a little update about our release plans. We're planning on a release the week of May 5. Not sure which day exactly yet, but that's when the game will be available on Steam. Thanks again for helping us make 1849 available on Steam!

Megasoum

Banned
So how does the whole playfire reward thing works on GMG? I need to link my GMG account with steam and/or Playfire? I'm not finding anything on the site.

Tellaerin

#DW8XLCE is coming to PC this May 2014 (US and EU). Have a great Easter!
https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope/status/456775267302637569

amber_heard___lip_bitezrx7.gif

Mmm...

That is a lovely announcement to start off the day with.

fantomena

Holy shit. Alien Rage is one of the most generic boring FPS games I have ever played. There are 13 chapters, I managed to get to chapter 8. I just can't take it anymore.

Brb, need to see a doctor. I may be ill.

mclem

Good for them. I wish there were more kid-friendly games on Steam... or even GOG. Donald Duck's Playground, Mixed-up Mother Goose, the entire Super Solvers series, Apogee's edutainment, Carmen Sandiego, Reader Rabbit, The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary, the whole Dr. Brain series, all of MECC's titles including Oregon Trail, Odell Lake, and Lemonade Stand. Unfortunately basically everything I just mentioned is in copyright limbo :/

That's a good point. You'd imagine Dr Brain and Mixed up Mother Goose would fall under Sierra's remit, and they should be within GoG's scope. It's a bit of history that isn't being preserved as well as others, and that's a shame.

Is The Learning Company still their own autonomous entity, or have they been bought out?

Both my parents were teachers - I'd say that my exposure to educational software informed a lot of my understanding of game design techniques; even for stuff I was 'too old' for, it was still interesting to see how they would introduce and demonstrate concepts, and that's a skill that translates to conventional game design quite well, and in many cases isn't actually done particularly well of late.

Uh oh...I wonder if it'll be controversial.

Man, that's some PC MASTER RACE shit right there. Consoles tend to be more affordable, provide a smoother user experience overall (bpm on steam is a step in the right direction for pcs though), and the playing field tends to be even since everyone is using the same controls. Plus, console versions of games usually leads to more optimized PC versions of the same game, with few exceptions of course.

I LOVE PC gaming. It's only limited by your own investments, such as learning and researching the hardware itself, how much you are willing to spend vs the expectations of how it'll perform, and then the time it takes to properly set up a game with your hardware.

But saying that console gamers are too ignorant/lazy to get into PC gaming is an ignorant/lazy way to explain consoles and console gamers.

To be fair, it was posted in the "controversial opinions" thread, so it's in the right place.

It's still a crappy thing to think. If it weren't for consoles, we wouldn't have dark souls, if it wasn't for how sloppy the dark souls PC port was he wouldn't have had to meddle with it, if he hadn't meddled with it he might not be the Durante we know today. Given that (I admit it to be twisted) logic, he has consoles to thank for his popularity.

But whatevs. I guess people are entitled to their opinions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Lunaniem

Well, those, and the BR sub, are retail subs. The only store sub is a "worldwide" one so I assume it'll either be region-free as it is now or just have the ACRTAG flag applied. Speaking of which, somebody tell Deep Silver that said flag is useless on retail subs because, uh, you can't buy them as gifts.

Didn't notice those were retail subs, guess they don't know what they are doing. :p

Hasney

If they ever bring DW8 Empires on PC, they get all my moneys.

Don't know if this will appeal to scratch dat itch. From The Escapist's review of DW8XLCE:

Ambition Mode - a non-story city building game introduced in DW8 - has been bolstered with a whole new post-game mode, though it requires you having gone through the grind of completing the original mode first. Essentially a stripped-down game of Dynasty Warriors: Empires, Ambition's Conquest mode is all about securing territory, providing some enjoyable fast based battles revolving around capturing enemy bases and holding them, while giving commands to the soldiers in your unit. While not as in-depth as Empires, I'm finding myself thoroughly entertained by it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's still a crappy thing to think. If it weren't for consoles, we wouldn't have dark souls, if it wasn't for how sloppy the dark souls PC port was he wouldn't have had to meddle with it, if he hadn't meddled with it he might not be the Durante we know today. Given that (I admit it to be twisted) logic, he has consoles to thank for his popularity.

But whatevs. I guess people are entitled to their opinions.

It's just classic neckbeard thinking - everyone else is dumber than me because I ______ (read the book first, play games on X system, etc.) It's embarrassing and anyone who gave the idea 5 minutes of thought would realize that people place their resources and time in different places. Some people would rather pour their money and time into their car, clothes, family, a million other places than maintaining a gaming PC... but some people can't look past their own overweight (lol) false sense of superiority to do any critical thinking.

If it werent for consoles we wouldnt have as many dumbed down disasters. Lets take the discussion back to that thread shall we? :)

...case in point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is The Learning Company still their own autonomous entity, or have they been bought out?

Hahahaha. "Bought out" doesn't begin to cover it.

Mattel bought the Learning Company in one of the largest software company acquisitions ever. Mattel divested The Learning Company to an investment firm after taking an enormous writedown on the acquisition (whoops!). That investment firm split up The Learning Company's IP; Riverdeep owns some, Ubisoft owns some. Riverdeep was bought by Houghton Mifflin, the publishing company.

Aaron D.

Is Car Mechanic Simulator just a puzzle game or can you learn about fixing cars from it?
Probably gonna get it either way
l

A bit of both, I'd say.

CMS won't teach you the practical details of the trade but it will provide a broad overview of various systems (braking, transmission, suspension, etc.), their locations, and how they interconnect.

The puzzling element comes from troubleshooting the vehicles problems. At first you're told exactly what to do for each work order, but as you progress the customer descriptions become more vague sometimes, forcing you to test-drive the cars and inspect the condition of individual parts.

The game is all sorts of awesome, offering a unique premise, satisfying game-play loop, and surprisingly sophisticated presentation values. There's a demo on the Steam storefront if you're curious to find out more.

It's one of the top-tier Simulation titles on the Steam marketplace, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom