• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
From what i see, retail isnt that strong here in germany. Console games are very strong compared to pc (Because nobody wants it digital console games). But you have some great deals here (Far Cry 3 was 15€ after 3 months here).

But i dont know how good retail indies and retail simulations are.

The PC retail market is still very strong in Germany compared to most parts of the world.

Thats why lots of indie and niche games only get retail releases here and in some other European markets.

It's often astounding what games you can buy in Saturn or Mediamarkt

MAYYC6t.jpg

and of course the famous Simulator stuff :p

I think the PC gaming market is a lot more casual here and it's not out of the norm just to buy a random PC game while browsing retail stores... at least for "normal" people that are not so much into this stuff compared to regular/more informed gamers

def sim

I have not played a DW game in about a decade and this might just make me change that. I hope Tecmo doesn't bungle the port and brings more of their games over.

Knurek

I have not played a DW game in about a decade and this might just make me change that. I hope Tecmo doesn't bungle the port and brings more of their games over.

They are like LEGO games, come to think of it.
Jim Sterling will be so pleased by the news, looking forward to Jimquisition next week.
//EDIT
He noticed already:
prjqld.gif

The PC retail market is still very strong in Germany compared to most parts of the world.

Thats why lots of indie and niche games only get retail releases here and in some other European markets.

It's often astounding what games you can buy in Saturn or Mediamarkt

and of course the famous Simulator stuff :p

I think the PC gaming market is a lot more casual here and it's not out of the norm just to buy a random PC game while browsing retail stores... at least for "normal" people that are not so much into this stuff compared to regular/more informed gamers

I went into my local EB games (Australia) for the first time in like forever last week and there were masses of simulator games in there as well and even a boxed version of Limbo!

Interestingly, the PC games section was the biggest by far, probably 2-3x the size of the new console sections.

SparkTR

Image of DW visual options, looking nice:

BlbKVYTCEAE3dOI.jpg:large

I went into my local EB games (Australia) for the first time in like forever last week and there were masses of simulator games in there as well and even a boxed version of Limbo!

Interestingly, the PC games section was the biggest by far, probably 2-3x the size of the new console sections.

Yeah they had stuff like Chivalry in my local store as well, probably due to our crappy internet hindering digital downloads.

The_Super_Inframan

Yeah, i have seen the retail version of Limbo in local stores too :)

If I had to guess i would say the PC games section in the nearest big electronics retail store (Saturn) is almost as big as all the console sections together... truly a PC gaming wonderland :p (never bought a game there, way too expensive)

Yeah they had stuff like Chivalry in my local store as well, probably due to our crappy internet hindering digital downloads.

Which is kind of funny, that game has weekly 700MB updates or so
If someone would buy the disc he still had to download a few GB cause the dis version wouldn't be up to date anymore :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I see I missed some Fez plot discussion. Reading this short novella written in 1884 will really help you grasp some of the themes Fish was trying to explore in Fez. You can read it in maybe an hour or two, it's not super challenging, and it is both very funny and quite educational. The novella is called Flatland.

I can't find mention of it elsewhere on this thread: Humongous Entertainment's stuff's now on Steam.

http://humongous.com/2014/04/humongous-entertainment-gets-the-steam-treatment/

I thought these were rather good kid-friendly adventures back in the day (Putt Putt, Freddi Fish, Pyjama Sam, Spy Fox, Fatty Bear), and while I doubt they'll interest adults all that much outside nostalgia, parents might be interested.

Looks like Night Dive are behind this (Indeed, I mentioned it a day or two ago in the GoG thread on the expectation that the games would appear there - a wrong call on my part)

Good for them. I wish there were more kid-friendly games on Steam... or even GOG. Donald Duck's Playground, Mixed-up Mother Goose, the entire Super Solvers series, Apogee's edutainment, Carmen Sandiego, Reader Rabbit, The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary, the whole Dr. Brain series, all of MECC's titles including Oregon Trail, Odell Lake, and Lemonade Stand. Unfortunately basically everything I just mentioned is in copyright limbo :/

Played a Dynasty Warriors demo like a decade ago and that was the extent of my exposure with the series. Seemed like a fun albeit mindless button mashy action kinda game. Definitely willing to give the Steam release my support.

Tropico 5's pre-purchase period will begin "in a few hours":
The pre-purchase of the digital version on STEAM is also going to start in a few hours. You can choose between the Standard Edition and the Steam Special Edition, which includes a new ‘Isla de Vapor’ map and a costume for your avatar as well as the digital “Guide through Tropico Island” (PDF file). Upon pre-ordering you will receive a 10% discount. Plus, you’ll get additional goodies, based on a tier-system depending on the overall number of STEAM pre-orders.

Tier 1: Tropico 4 STEAM Key*
Tier 2: Tropico 4 STEAM Key* + Tropico 5-DLC ‘The Big Cheese’
(available directly upon release in summer 2014)*
Tier 3: Tropico 4 STEAM Key* + Tropico 5-DLC ‘The Big Cheese’
(available directly upon release in summer 2014)* +
Omerta - City of Gangsters STEAM Key*

(*Should you already own this digital content, you can gift your key to a friend).

If memory serves, this'll be the first game since F1 2013 to have tiered rewards.

I received by email a code for a "10% OFF Tropico 5 BetaTester Appreciation coupon", for signing up but not getting into the beta. It states that it stacks with the pre-purchase discount.

derExperte

Keys for FootLOL are available in the Indie Royale Debut 6 bundle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FootLOL: Epic Fail League -- MB-A2F037921C1F00C8 - Taken by spindoctor. 37 entrants total.

t1397751296z1.png

aku:jiki

Man, there are some cool physical editions of indie games, I had no idea. You mean to tell me there's a giant box adorned with Super Meat Boy's beat-up face? I must have it.

Also, this edition of Limbo is pretty damn classy. I mean, that includes a markup of like 8000% compared to just buying it digitally, but I want that cool version of Limbo on my shelf.

What version of Isaac is that with the artbook and everything? I'm seeing unholy edition and most unholy edition...

Bah. I saw "DW", and thought "Dragon Warrior" before I read the tweet.
Gotta update those internal definitions, bro. It's been Dragon Quest for a while now, just like no one calls the first FF on SNES "FF2" anymore.

Good for them. I wish there were more kid-friendly games on Steam... or even GOG. Donald Duck's Playground, Mixed-up Mother Goose, the entire Super Solvers series, Apogee's edutainment, Carmen Sandiego, Reader Rabbit, The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary, the whole Dr. Brain series, all of MECC's titles including Oregon Trail, Odell Lake, and Lemonade Stand. Unfortunately basically everything I just mentioned is in copyright limbo :/

It could be cool to have kid friendly games on Steam.

Easter announcements all over the place. Silent Hill Origins and SM for Vita. DW8XL for PC.

I wonder if PC gets more announcements today.

I need a Vita... seems like the only system that gets new games announcements every day.

Is Car Mechanic Simulator just a puzzle game or can you learn about fixing cars from it?
Probably gonna get it either way

I am not sure if anyone has replied to you yet, but I am digging the game a lot. I have played it about 5 hours so far and it has yet to get dull. Of course, that might be because I am a huge car guy, but I actually like the puzzle aspect of the game.

Theoretically you COULD learn the basics of car repair from it, since it is highly accurate in part information and location. But It does simplify a lot of the processes to make it more fun then it would probably normally be.

Either way I would recommend this game highly to anyone interested in cars. It is a super zen game to play while listening to music/podcasts/etc.

Easter announcements all over the place. Silent Hill Origins and SM for Vita. DW8XL for PC.

I wonder if PC gets more announcements today.

I need a Vita... seems like the only system that gets new games announcements every day.

To be fair, the SH games for Vita are just re-releases of the PSP versions of the games.

But yes, you should buy a VIta. :)

The_Super_Inframan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom