• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls II is going to be a beast at launch. It has been in the Steam top ten since the pre-order page was made available and the PC port is really shaping up nicely.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. Alien Rage is one of the most generic boring FPS games I have ever played. There are 13 chapters, I managed to get to chapter 8. I just can't take it anymore.

Brb, need to see a doctor. I may be ill.

I really enjoyed Alien Rage. It was a bit strange at first because they seemed to be going for this weird of mix of aim down the sights gunplay (due to the high recoil) and faster pace of an older game. However once I got the recoil down and predicted I had a blast and enjoyed the whole game. It does look generic as shit though I agree but some fun battles in that.

Dr Dogg

Dark Souls II is going to be a beast at launch. It has been in the Steam top ten since the pre-order page was made available and the PC port is really shaping up nicely.

Don't remind me I have to scrabble around to grab a digital copy due to the retail kerfuffle here or risk being spoiled/wound up by my activity feed next Friday.

masterkajo

Although the lighting is missing
you made me believe!!
I am really glad we get such a great optimised PC game. My hype levels went through the roof today and I finally got me a DS4 on PC. After some small hiccups it seems to function now and apart from some work I will hopefully finish before next Friday nothing stands between me and that beautiful Black Armor Edition
sorry

Grief.exe

Question : is Fable : the lost chapters essentially the first game plus extras or are they two separate things ?

The PC port is excellent too

imAFpZgmq4xl4.png

Wow, I was not expecting all of those Humongous Entertainment games to get added to Steam. I'm so tempted to buy the bundle of them all.

Since it was buried beneath shitty cereal games

Hey now, those games are not at all shitty. They're actually good point-and-click games meant for kids that still hold up today.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Guys, what's the best mystery game you've played? Need some recommendations, don't really care about the actual genre too much.

I can never name the best, so I'll just give you several suggestions.

I haven't really looked on Steam for them, so I can just name several I think are worth looking into on various platforms. Warning, some may be old and not work on modern computers without a bit of work.

Blade Runner, set in the same universe as the original movie and works great at expanding it. No knowledge of the previous movies is needed as all is explained and told in it, and with numerous choices and a dozen different endings you'll have plenty of reason to replay it.

Black Dahlia by Interplay. A 1940s period piece involving Nazis, supernatural, the precursor to the CIA, all with cinematic quality acting to get it through. It's very much a game of it's period, the Windows 98 days, but it's a fun experience and took me by surprise with a number of twists.

Jack Orlando , another period piece though set in 1933. Animated for a cartoon look with quality voice acting, and a well thought out story for a murder mystery. Has an easy mode if you need help getting into the genre that somehow still feels rewarding.

Broken Sword Series , highly acclaimed series with two highly fleshed out characters, logical and enjoyable puzzles, good sense of humour, and some of the best moments in the mystery genre for figuring out why things are. The Director's Cut of the first game has a new help system to help ensure someone can play through the game.

Gabriel Knight titles, Sins of the Fathers being my favourite. A series about an writer who while on investigations encounters strange happenings, mysteries, murders, and more. Incredibly well written, lovely designs for each of the locations it goes to, and with a large amount of dialogue including some by Tim Curry or Mark Hamill (no, he doesn't just do the Joker voice all the time), it's regarded as a classic for a reason.

As Gabriel Knight titles weren't made for quite some time, we got a spiritual successor by the name of Gray Matter . A wonderful new title that might get a bit lost in itself at points with what it attempts for neurobiology, science, supernatural, and just general mystery, but the whole of it makes for a very good title all the same. If you are looking for a strong female lead as well, this will be the title to get.

If you are looking for comedy in your mystery I recommend the Ace Attorney games on DS or iOS devices. Likewise all of the Sam and Max series, both original and the recent run by Telltale, may not be the most involved or critical thinking tales, but plenty of laughs and sight gags.

For the Noir experience, jazz, eccentric actors, an moments of absurdity while still properly standing on the line of being serious about it's world, then I absolutely recommend the Tex Murphy line of titles.
The older titles are on GOG.com (1 and 2 for example) while the latest will be on several services including Steam

For something perhaps not as complex and retro in design you have the Blackwell series. This is modern day classic point and click adventure however, so note it's best if you are already okay with the genre of game play.

A long running series has been the Sherlock Holmes game by Frogwares and Jack The Ripper was considered a strong title in it's own right, but why not start off with the best of both worlds and look into Sherlock Holmes versus Jack The Ripper.

Lastly one of my favourites, and one I think was greatly overlooked due to being on Wii and being a Disney product, is Guilty Party.
Aye it's cartoonish and doesn't seem as though it will be anything special, and some people have an aversion to mini-games (though all mystery games are just puzzles inside of a narrative anyroad), it works extremely well as nothing overstays it's welcome, the story is actually rather clever, and solving things with the clues given actually make you feel rather clever at times. It's just an enjoyable experience both on my own and with others, young children or not. It's the only mystery game I can think of that works well for co-op.

Cth

Blade Runner, set in the same universe as the original movie and works great at expanding it. No knowledge of the previous movies is needed as all is explained and told in it, and with numerous choices and a dozen different endings you'll have plenty of reason to replay it.

I was going to recommend this, but the puzzles were fairly easy. Good game though!

Black Dahlia by Interplay. A 1940s period piece involving Nazis, supernatural, the precursor to the CIA, all with cinematic quality acting to get it through. It's very much a game of it's period, the Windows 98 days, but it's a fun experience and took me by surprise with a number of twists.

From the people who did Ripper, another good choice! Totally forgot about it!

Thanks for the reminder!

hohoXD123

I can never name the best, so I'll just give you several suggestions.

I haven't really looked on Steam for them, so I can just name several I think are worth looking into on various platforms. Warning, some may be old and not work on modern computers without a bit of work.

Jack Orlando , another period piece though set in 1933. Animated for a cartoon look with quality voice acting, and a well thought out story for a murder mystery. Has an easy mode if you need help getting into the genre that somehow still feels rewarding.

Broken Sword Series , highly acclaimed series with two highly fleshed out characters, logical and enjoyable puzzles, good sense of humour, and some of the best moments in the mystery genre for figuring out why things are. The Director's Cut of the first game has a new help system to help ensure someone can play through the game.

Gabriel Knight titles, Sins of the Fathers being my favourite. A series about an writer who while on investigations encounters strange happenings, mysteries, murders, and more. Incredibly well written, lovely designs for each of the locations it goes to, and with a large amount of dialogue including some by Tim Curry or Mark Hamill (no, he doesn't just do the Joker voice all the time), it's regarded as a classic for a reason.

As Gabriel Knight titles weren't made for quite some time, we got a spiritual successor by the name of Gray Matter . A wonderful new title that might get a bit lost in itself at points with what it attempts for neurobiology, science, supernatural, and just general mystery, but the whole of it makes for a very good title all the same. If you are looking for a strong female lead as well, this will be the title to get.

If you are looking for comedy in your mystery I recommend the Ace Attorney games on DS or iOS devices. Likewise all of the Sam and Max series, both original and the recent run by Telltale, may not be the most involved or critical thinking tales, but plenty of laughs and sight gags.

For the Noir experience, jazz, eccentric actors, an moments of absurdity while still properly standing on the line of being serious about it's world, then I absolutely recommend the Tex Murphy line of titles.
The older titles are on GOG.com (1 and 2 for example) while the latest will be on several services including Steam

For something perhaps not as complex and retro in design you have the Blackwell series. This is modern day classic point and click adventure however, so note it's best if you are already okay with the genre of game play.

A long running series has been the Sherlock Holmes game by Frogwares and Jack The Ripper was considered a strong title in it's own right, but why not start off with the best of both worlds and look into Sherlock Holmes versus Jack The Ripper.

Lastly one of my favourites, and one I think was greatly overlooked due to being on Wii and being a Disney product, is Guilty Party.
Aye it's cartoonish and doesn't seem as though it will be anything special, and some people have an aversion to mini-games (though all mystery games are just puzzles inside of a narrative anyroad), it works extremely well as nothing overstays it's welcome, the story is actually rather clever, and solving things with the clues given actually make you feel rather clever at times. It's just an enjoyable experience both on my own and with others, young children or not. It's the only mystery game I can think of that works well for co-op.
Wow, thanks a lot for the reply, will definitely check these out. May start with the Broken Sword series since I already have a couple of the games. Guilty Party also sounds really interesting, may dust off the Wii.

DocSeuss

Well 3 got pulled from Steam because Microsoft "Ran out of keys". Take that as you will but that game has issues in technical and design areas.

They said on the forums, if I remember correctly, that due to the shutting down of the GFWL store, they were unable to create new keys.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They said on the forums, if I remember correctly, that due to the shutting down of the GFWL store, they were unable to create new keys.

That makes zero sense and just seems like an excuse drummed up to appease the masses. Like Sega claiming it can't generate Steam keys for games no longer available on the store.

Terra_Ex

Oh I remember. The game that brought us this amazing pic:

Or this
The%20Sims%204.jpg
I won't lie, I was half expecting to see the brazzers logo on this pic as I was scrolling down...

As long as this requires Origin I won't be touching it, plus the total cost of Sims 3 dlc hit ridiculous heights and I'm fully expecting to see a repeat of that once more, though I suppose they've cornered a particular section of the market with that game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the first Fate is 75% off, does it hold up? I never played it

Amzin

Wow, thanks a lot for the reply, will definitely check these out. May start with the Broken Sword series since I already have a couple of the games. Guilty Party also sounds really interesting, may dust off the Wii.

I actually quite enjoyed the latest Sherlock Holmes game, the Testament of Sherlock Holmes. I may be unhealthily obsessed with all things Sherlock right now though so take that as you will. I'm not usually into those games :p

That Black Dahlia game sounds really interested, like it may actually be almost based somewhat on the real story (such as is known). Have never heard of it before.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
the first Fate is 75% off, does it hold up? I never played it

It's still pretty good, I played through it recently. While obviously not as polished as Torchlight II, if you like Torchlight it's still pretty fun.

I like how the pancakes are in the other pic too. Dude likes his pancakes.

Those pics are especially funny to me because he looks like a coworker of mine, if he were made into a Sim. So now I just imagine him in these situations.

I won't lie, I was half expecting to see the brazzers logo on this pic as I was scrolling down...

As long as this requires Origin I won't be touching it, plus the total cost of Sims 3 dlc hit ridiculous heights and I'm fully expecting to see a repeat of that once more, though I suppose they've cornered a particular section of the market with that game.

This requires Origin no more than Origin requires this.
Code:
[IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l197/MavromatisLozay/2014-04-17_22-43-59_zps593e5fd5.jpg[/IMG]

But you notice it is a fake shot because none of those people are ghosts yet, nor entrapped in a 1 square rooms to starve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom